Are sports biblical?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Skitnik

Nov 12, 2015
Are sports biblical?

I see it all the time. Some athlete runs the race, scores touch down and raises hands to the sky to thank God. I do not get it. What does God have to do with that? Next day that very same athlete looses to openly homosexual, cross dressing child molester and it means what exactly? Does it mean that God favors that person now? In minds of many it may.

Yes there are passages in the Bible about running the race but it is just a proverb. Same way there are proverbs comparing peoples and nations to prostitutes but does it mean an endorsement of prostitution?

One thing is to run around, jump around for some exercise. Not many people in the Bible sat at front of computer all day long for a living. Another thing is to beat your body up to the point of disability, like most professional sports do.

I think Christianity is all about making oneself smaller, child-like so that God can make us great in His ways and for His glory not about beating others, making our selfish selves greater then others the way sports do. Feed our pride and wallow in in pain of those who were defeated.

Massive waste of time, effort, money…. Entertainment and distraction. Why would God have anything to do with it? The way I see it sports is nothing more then modern version of idolatry. People are so obsessed with players, teams, scores, statistics….. spend so much money, waste so much time!

Many say that sports make them happy, relaxed, relieves stress and God wants us to be happy, so sports must be ok then. Never mind that people can be “happy” for all kinds of very wrong reasons. Felling of unhappiness comes from the enemy and by dialing back on unhappiness while people are engaged in sinful or wasteful activities he can make then run around and chase happiness in all kinds of very wrong places. If God wanted us to be happy by chasing a ball around He would at least give us four legs or do you think He created us to be miserably bipedal all our lives?

How sports is not an idolatry by new, modern name? Famous athletes are revered by many as demigods of some sort. Followed around and more or less worshiped. Teams are used to divide and conquer minds and souls. People hate each other to the point of violence and even murder at times because “my team” won or lost to “your team”.

The whole concept of “my team” thing totally escapes me. Here in Western Washington USA when Seahawks won seems like everything everywhere turned green and blue with number 12 on it. I did not even realize how widespread this form of idolatry was until I came into some supermarket store and saw that at least half of people wearing Seahawk football jerseys. It was a day before Stuporbowl (intentional misspelling) aka finals of the NFL. Rare wearers of uniform of opposing team were getting hateful stares or even “boo-eing” by people just passing by! Yeah! Satan loves people to hate each other does not matter how ridiculous the reasons for that are!

The only men who are rightfully saying “my team” are the team owners raking in billions of dollars from pockets of suckers of new idolatry. Those are the new “priest class” of idolatry by new name. Plus the whole class of sports facilitators and administrators. (AKA new “temple prostitutes”). Nothing in the world changes, really. Just changes names.

Even pastors in churches cheerleading for teams. Everything short of jumping around with cheerleading poms right at the church pulpit! Disgusting! I am sure it did happen in some churches somewhere though.

Never mind almost, almost, almost naked girls jumping around in all kinds of poses including explicitly sexual ones! Don’t they understand that many men in the bleachers are thinking: “I wish my wife could do that and without any clothes on.” Many of them consider themselves good Christians too.

The only exception being of course the martial arts. Read the Old Testament. All kinds of godly and even appointed by God “martial artists” there! How about Samson with a donkey jawbone! Read the Book of Jasher thrown out of teachings of early Christian’s teachings by Jew-hating Constantine because in it early Hebrews are portrayed as supernaturally (not superhuman) powerful “martial artists”.

Yes, God does allow necessary killing. “Shall not murder” is mistranslation. It actually says“shall not kill”. Jesus in not some long-haired, bearded hippy either. Read the Revelation. But that is going into whole different topic….

Reactions: bbyrd009

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a former athlete in many sports (and still competing in one) I must say its rediculous the attention and money some athletes make.

Sports however are nothing more than recreation for many (like myself) and entertainment for the fans. Things should be taken in moderation, but if entertainment and recreation are evil, then there is a whole slew of of other things that should be condemned as well.

If we are going to discus this, lets talk about college athletics as well. NCAA Division 1 schools have well over 13000 athletes with scholarships at any given time. That doesn't include Div 2, 3 and Junior Colleges. These are young men and women receiving financial aid for college.

Perhaps that has nothing to do with God, but I don't see it as evil.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a former athlete in many sports (and still competing in one) I must say its rediculous the attention and money some athletes make.

Sports however are nothing more than recreation for many (like myself) and entertainment for the fans. Things should be taken in moderation, but if entertainment and recreation are evil, then there is a whole slew of of other things that should be condemned as well.

If we are going to discus this, lets talk about college athletics as well. NCAA Division 1 schools have well over 13000 athletes with scholarships at any given time. That doesn't include Div 2, 3 and Junior Colleges. These are young men and women receiving financial aid for college.

I worry about the players. The size and speed of professional atheletes has increased to a level that seems too dangerous. Copiuos amounts of money and CTE seems to be overwelming for college atheletes and professionals.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I worry about the players. The size and speed of professional atheletes has increased to a level that seems too dangerous. Copiuos amounts of money and CTE seems to be overwelming for college atheletes and professionals.

I understand and there is reason to be concerned. Football, soccer, hockey and boxing are the main concerns with CTE. understand though, that is a small percentage of athletes, as are professionals. Unfortunately its the top <1% that has the headlines.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
NCAA Division 1 schools have well over 13000 athletes with scholarships at any given time.
your kids have been fully monetized, yes
how do you connect these two iow

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Copiuos amounts of money and CTE seems to be overwelming for college atheletes and professionals.
lol, i suggest that they are more = than we allow, or that one actually manifests the other, one could outline the progression in a paragraph or so

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I understand and there is reason to be concerned. Football, soccer, hockey and boxing are the main concerns with CTE. understand though, that is a small percentage of athletes, as are professionals. Unfortunately its the top <1% that has the headlines.
but it is the bottom >99% that are monetized to create sporting events that draw audiences, see

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but it is the bottom >99% that are monetized to create sporting events that draw audiences, see
Of course. I acknowledge that totally. If that's what we are discussing I agree much more with what is said. If its sports in general its another "ball game"

I just want to bring it to attention that "sports" and "athletes" for the most part aren't what tou see on ESPN.

Reactions: bbyrd009