Are the Ten Commandments still valid today in our lives.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture is clear, but many try to say they are done away with.
Matthew 15:9 - But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Matthew 19:17 - And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Titus 1:14 - Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

Mark 10:19 - Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.
Which set of law was Jesus citing from here?(also see Luke 18:20)

1 John 2:3-4 - And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 John 5:2-3 - By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Revelation 12:17 - And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 14:12 - Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Revelation 22:14 - Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

John 14:15 - If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Ecclesiastes 12:13 - Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

So what should a Christian do

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We see more and more the results of people rejecting them, the mass killing of innocents, the stabbing and shooting of those being robbed, the spiritual confusion of those worshiping idols and graven images, and the coveting of others wives or husbands leading into adultery, etc.. They need to mean something and be valid in our lives, or we sink into the realm of evil and bondage of sin.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We see more and more the results of people rejecting them, the mass killing of innocents, the stabbing and shooting of those being robbed, the spiritual confusion of those worshiping idols and graven images, and the coveting of others wives or husbands leading into adultery, etc.. They need to mean something and be valid in our lives, or we sink into the realm of evil and bondage of sin.
This is confusing, are you referring to atheists or Christians that are committing the crimes that you mentioned above?
Obviously not Christians as a whole? Therefore, why are you holding atheists accountable to the Decalogue of God?
Of course humans devour one another with selfishness, hate and perversion, but are you suggesting that we impose God's laws on those outside of the Faith?

Reactions: mailmandan

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hobie @DNB

Yes, they are still valid. For those that claim the contrary, try and take something that doesn't belong to you and see if you can get away with it. Your sins being forgiven and covered by the blood of the lamb does not excuse your deceit. At the end of the day, you shall know who is who by their works. For those outside of the faith, the ten commandments are placed in front of some court houses for a reason. Much of it is the foundation for our legal system. Ignorance of Gods law for the unbeliever is no excuse. The law will be the very thing the unbeliever will be judged by on judgement day, according to their works.

(Romans 2:6-15) "Who will render to every man according to his deeds: {7} To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life: {8} But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, {9} Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; {10} But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: {11} For there is no respect of persons with God. {12} For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; {13} (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. {14} For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: {15} Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)"

Reactions: Brakelite

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God's Law stands vindicated. Jesus paid the just penalty for the transgressor of it....the evidence that it is immovable. Do we then make void the Law? ....God forbid, we establish it.
Any argument to the contrary is so because men love their particular sins with the intent of maintaining them thinking that by getting rid of God's Law or modifying it in any manner of convoluted justifications and theological rationalisations they have impunity. Not a chance!

Reactions: Brakelite

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. Yes, Sin is still sin, no matter what age it is
2. If we could perfectly keep them. We would earn salvation. As moses said (and paul confided) the made an oath to keep and obey ALL that was written. To break even one command was to cause them to break the covenant, and be a law breaker, ending in a curse (see also James words about breaking one command and guilt)
3. The law does nt show you how to keep the commands, It says do not. It does not give instruction. it does not even tell us EVERY possible way of breaking that command, and shown by Jesus when he said the law says this, But I tell you.....So one could possibly think they are keeping all the law because they are not committing certain sins and thus they think they have obeyed, when in reality, they are breaking them all the time, they just do not know it because how they are breaking it is not spelled out in the law
4. The curse of the law can not touch us anymore, because as paul said, Christ became a curse for us In that aspect. The law. Which was contrary to us, and against us, was taken it of the way having been nailed to the cross (col 2)
5. Jesus told us a better way, gave us a better law. The law of Love, Seek after the things of the spirit If I love my eight or I will nto sin against them, If my focus is on others. I will by practice not break the commands. Our problem is we are unable to do this perfectly. Thats why we have nto stopped sin, and will not until we are glorified.
6. Does this mean we just ignore sin, or say why bother I am going to sin so I might as well do it Of course not. What good will it do us if we act trike the world? What good will we be to god if we are hypocrites? The pain and suffering on us and others is the reason God hates sin so much, even the smallest sin we may think is inconsequential hurts someone, whether we think it does or not it is selfish. Remember, Adam ate a piece of fruit. And it caused the fall of mankind and the eventual downfall of the creation.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Hobie @DNB

Yes, they are still valid. For those that claim the contrary, try and take something that doesn't belong to you and see if you can get away with it. Your sins being forgiven and covered by the blood of the lamb does not excuse your deceit. At the end of the day, you shall know who is who by their works. For those outside of the faith, the ten commandments are placed in front of some court houses for a reason. Much of it is the foundation for our legal system. Ignorance of Gods law for the unbeliever is no excuse. The law will be the very thing the unbeliever will be judged by on judgement day, according to their works.
Christians are under the Law of Faith, not of Works, which the beauty of Faith is, that it encompasses all righteousness. One cannot have one without the other. But, your sins will not be counted, as in, breaking one or two of them breaks them all. They will only be assessed in order to determine your faith. Many Apostles & Disciples sinned, I'm sure, but this did not disqualify them of their reward, the way that being under the Law of Works would have.

No Christian or atheist is under the Law, as we understand its entirety to be, nor even the Decalogue in it's entirety (eg: Sabbath).
Christians, and all who have heard the Word of Grace, will be judged according to the Law of Christ.
Whereas the unlearned may be judged according to the Law of the Heart (Romans 2:15).

Last edited:

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 15:9 - But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Matthew 19:17 - And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Titus 1:14 - Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

Mark 10:19 - Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.
Which set of law was Jesus citing from here?(also see Luke 18:20)

1 John 2:3-4 - And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 John 5:2-3 - By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Revelation 12:17 - And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 14:12 - Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Revelation 22:14 - Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

John 14:15 - If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Ecclesiastes 12:13 - Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

under law yes and no, you're not required to fulfill the law to the Father's satisfaction, hence one of the main reasons Jesus came into the flesh because you can't fulfill the law to the Father's satifaction. that said there is a few things that one should understand if the be born again. the Life you have received fulfills the law, therefore one is still in love with the commandments, if not you should be. not that one sees others should follow but that one sees all the reasons for repentance, a penitent walk if you will, because the Life you receive is supposed to do as the commandments say like general orders to a solder, it is the apparent nature/behavior in the sight of the Father, acceptable to the Father through the Son. hence its still a covenant (agreement) in that you agree with God that the commandment are right and correct according to His will for you.

and to those who would tell you otherwise:

Mat 5:17  Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 
Mat 5:18  For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 
Mat 5:19  Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 

it is true that the law of Faith prevails but it always had. Adam and Eve went by their own judgement and trusted words not of God about the Word of God (His commandment to Adam) faith is simply belief and trust. if they did believe and trust God's Word we wouldn't be in the pickle we're in. but that trust and belief was based on the COMMANMENT. and that commandment was an agreement (covenant) between God and Adam.

one should understand that law is an agreement, or the extension of an agreement.

what should a Christian do? believe and trust God, and if you do then the commandments become a desirable thing to you.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A true Ekklesia, born again one, born again by the will of the Father in heaven,
follows Jesus, by faith, wherever He goes.
Thus, not many people see a true Christian today.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We see more and more the results of people rejecting them,
The light came into the world,
and the world rejected the light, because they love darkness, and their lives/ their deeds / are evil.

All exactly as written by the Creator in His Word.

BlessedCreator

Apr 15, 2020
Oregon
www.gffg.info
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians are not under the law nor the 10 commandments.

Romans 6:14 KJB
"For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace."

We are not specifically told we are not under the 10 commandments as we are told we are not under the law as in the above scripture but it is indicated that we are not in the following verse.

Colossians 2:16 KJB
"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of
an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:"

The key part being "sabbath days" which represent not only all the holy days of rest the Israelites celebrated but the weekly as well which is one of the 10 commandments.

Commentary on Colossians 2:16 from Ellicott:
"We know, indeed, that the Jewish Sabbath itself lingered in the Church, as having a kind of sacredness, kept sometimes as a fast, sometimes as a festival. But its observance was not of obligation. No man was to “judge” others in respect of it."

Now even though we are not under the 10 commandments it doesnt mean that we are free to not do 9/10 of them for to do these things are taught indirectly in the New Testament.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Christians are not under the law nor the 10 commandments.

Romans 6:14 KJB
"For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace."

We are not specifically told we are not under the 10 commandments as we are told we are not under the law as in the above scripture but it is indicated that we are not in the following verse.

Colossians 2:16 KJB
"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of
an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:"

The key part being "sabbath days" which represent not only all the holy days of rest the Israelites celebrated but the weekly as well which is one of the 10 commandments.

Commentary on Colossians 2:16 from Ellicott:
"We know, indeed, that the Jewish Sabbath itself lingered in the Church, as having a kind of sacredness, kept sometimes as a fast, sometimes as a festival. But its observance was not of obligation. No man was to “judge” others in respect of it."

Now even though we are not under the 10 commandments it doesnt mean that we are free to not do 9/10 of them for to do these things are taught indirectly in the New Testament.

I agree.
Insofar as the Ten Commandments contain God's moral laws for all mankind we are obliged to obey the moral laws they embody. As you say they are indirectly taught in the NT. But as the Covenant Law for the Israelites we are not bound by them.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When a manager , owner, or whoever it is gives
his players a rule book for the game, whatever it is,

league rules.

Do those rules change ?

- arbitrarily , at the players choice, or the manager, or the owner ?

MattMooradian

Apr 3, 2020
MUNSTER, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not one iota of the commandments are changed. However, we have received a deeper meaning of the 10 commandments from Jesus, from his Sermon on the Mount. For instance, Jesus addresses the commandment 'not to take God's name in vain'. Jesus explains that this commandment is about oaths and vows. Christians are advised to not make promises, not to 'swear I'll do it'. We break this all the time when we are sworn in as a witness in court and when we get married. Jesus explains that the reason we should not make vows is because we are not in control of keeping those vows.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those who are guilty , don't like God's Rules nor His Perfection Vision - He Sees Everything.
God's Law stands vindicated.
Amen. God is Righteous, His Way is Perfect, as Written: "For ALL HIS WAYS ARE JUDGMENT - A GOD OF TRUTH, and WITHOUT INIQUITY, JUST AND RIGHT IS HE" .....

but people don't like Him as He Is..... people want to do what they want to do, and not change.....

Study Bible
Sin Separates Us from God
"…Their feet run to evil; they are swift to shed innocent blood. Their thoughts are sinful thoughts; ruin and destruction lie in their wake.

The way
of peace they have not known, and there is no justice in their tracks. They have turned them into crooked paths; no one who treads on them will know peace.

Therefore justice is far from us, and righteousness does not reach us. We hope for light, but there is darkness; for brightness, but we walk in gloom.…"
Berean Study Bible · Download

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not one iota of the commandments are changed. However, we have received a deeper meaning of the 10 commandments from Jesus, from his Sermon on the Mount. For instance, Jesus addresses the commandment 'not to take God's name in vain'. Jesus explains that this commandment is about oaths and vows. Christians are advised to not make promises, not to 'swear I'll do it'. We break this all the time when we are sworn in as a witness in court and when we get married. Jesus explains that the reason we should not make vows is because we are not in control of keeping those vows.
The commandments are forever. As it says, Not one Jott or tittle will fail..

For our entire lifetime, the Law of commandments will prove to us our sin, and our continued need of Grace, And how inadequate and unworthy we are to call ourselves children of God. Which in turn keeps us outward focused, and not inward focused, focused on loving God and loving those we come in contact with, even our enemy (ie our neighbor) As God loved us..

If the law does not do this Something is wrong. and we have not properly interpreted the law.. I think Jesus showed us this in the sermon on the mount, Where he said the law says this, But I tell you........

The law was not made to make us upstanding citizens, It was made to prove our guilt and lead us to Christ (gal 3)