"Are The Twelve apostles...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...In The Body Of Christ?

In this article, we will ask the question, “Are the twelve apostles in the body
of Christ?” It is important here for the reader to understand that this question
is not whether the twelve apostles were saved or lost.

Rather, the question pertains to whether the twelve apostles were transferred
into the body of Christ when the new dispensation was revealed to Paul, or
whether they remained a part of Israel’s kingdom program.

A third alternative is that they obtained sort of a “dual hope,” receiving the
benefits and blessings of both the kingdom program and the dispensation of
Grace.

To some, the question itself may seem irrelevant or even ridiculous, much like
the proverbial debates of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
But before examining the Evidence of Scripture on the subject, let us first show
the importance of the issue.

It certainly would not matter to us whether God chose to place the twelve
apostles into the body or not. God can do as He pleases, and it would not
affect the wonderful blessings of Grace which we enjoy as members of the
body of Christ.

However, seeing the twelve apostles (and all kingdom saints living at the time)
as part of the body of Christ raises HUGE questions with regard to their teachings
and writings.

For example, if Peter was added to the body of Christ after the dispensation of
Grace was revealed to Paul, are we to take Peter’s epistles as instructions to the
body of Christ?

Are we to understand that Peter is telling the body of Christ that we are “a
royal priesthood, (and) an holy nation” (1 Peter 2:9a)? If so, what “nation” are
we? And how does Peter’s statement that “baptism doth also now save us”
(1 Peter 3:21a) square with Paul’s affirmation that Christ sent him “not to
baptize, but to preach the gospel” (1 Cor. 1:17a)?

And with regard to the return of Christ, Peter has his readers “Looking for and
hastening unto the coming day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall
be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat” (2 Peter 3:12),
whereas Paul tells us to be

“Looking for that Blessed Hope, and The Glorious Appearing of
The Great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ”
(Titus 2:13).

...The two positions regarding this question are known as the “twelve in” and the
“twelve-out” positions. In answering the question of whether the twelve apostles
were added to the body of Christ we will present Scriptural Evidence..."

[in the 'link' below, ending with:]

"...one final question: If it was God’s plan to transfer the twelve apostles into
the body of Christ when Israel rejected the kingdom offer, and then
use them to teach, instruct, and write to the body of Christ in their
epistles, WHY DID GOD RAISE UP THE APOSTLE PAUL?
"
(J Finck)

FULL study:
Are The Twelve apostles In The Body Of Christ?

Precious friend(s):

Grace, Peace, And JOY In Christ, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided (+ I and II)
!

Reactions: marks
Sep 27, 2021
Norco
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve never heard of “Israel’s kingdom program” or “the twelve in and the twelve-out positions” and didn’t read the external links so I may not be grasping your theology, butI believe that the Bible is clear that ALL believers are the “body of Christ”, so those apostles that were believers were, and those that did not were not.

1 Corinthians 12:27 in speaking to the believers states “Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.”​
1 Corinthians 10:17 “For we being many are one bread, and one body”.​
Romans 12:5 “So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.”​

Ref “holy nation” 1 Peter 2:9, Peter goes on to explain the statement in verse 10 where he states “Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God”, so he’s not talking of an pre-existing nation but a new “spiritual” nation.

Luke 17:21 “Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.”​
Matthew 21:43 “Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.”​
Romans 10:19 “But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you”.​
Galatians 4:26 - “But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all”​
Hebrews 12:22 “But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels”​
Romans 2:29 “But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.”​

In 1 Cor. 1:17 Paul was referring to water baptism (for that’s the only kind of baptism a human can give a person). It is a duty of spiritual leaders to water baptize people but it was not Paul's calling and is not the saving baptism. 1 Peter 3:21 is referring to the baptism by the Hoy Spirt that saves us (he states “not the putting away of the filth of the flesh” to show it is not water baptism he is speaking of).

Matthew 3:11 “I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:”​
Acts 1:5 “For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.”​
Titus 3:5 “Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;”​
Ephesians 4:5 “One Lord, one faith, one baptism,”​
Colossians 2:12 12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.​

Reactions: rwb

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, yes; the twelve-in, twelve-out controversy. I heard this story in one of my Bible Study classes, and I had to look it up. The story goes....

A Believer met another Believer in the middle of the Golden Gate Bridge.

“I was standing in the middle of the Golden Gate Bridge admiring the view when another tourist walked up alongside of me to do the same. I heard him say quietly, as he took in the beauty of the view, ‘What an awesome God.’

“I turned to him and said, ‘You a Christian?’

“He said, ‘Yes, I am a Christian.’

“I said, ‘So am I,’ and we shook hands. I said, ‘Are you a liberal or a fundamental Christian?’

“He said, ‘I am a fundamental Christian.’

“I said, ‘So am I,’ and we smiled and nodded to each other. I said, ‘Are you a Covenant or dispensational, fundamental Christian?’

“He said, ‘I am a dispensational, fundamental Christian.’

“I said, ‘So am I,’ and we slapped one another on the back. I said, ‘Are you an early Acts, mid-Acts or late Acts, dispensational, fundamental Christian?’

“He said ‘I am a mid-Acts, dispensational, fundamental Christian.’

“I said, ‘So am I’ and we agreed to exchange Christmas cards each year. I said, ‘Are you an Acts 9 or 13, mid-Acts, dispensational, fundamental Christian?’

“He said, ‘I am an Acts 9, mid-Acts, dispensational, fundamental Christian.’

“I said, ‘So am I’ and we hugged one another right there on the bridge. I said, ‘Are you a pre-trib, or post-trib, Acts 9, mid-Acts, dispensational, fundamental Christian?’

“He said, ‘I am a pre-trib, Acts 9, mid-Acts, dispensational, fundamental Christian.’

“I said, ‘So am I,’ and we decided to exchange kids for the summer. I said, ‘Are you a 12 in or 12 out, pre-trib, Acts 9, mid-Acts, dispensational, fundamental Christian?’

“He said, ‘I am a 12 in, pre-trib, Acts 9, mid-Acts, dispensational, fundamental Christian.' I said, ‘You bloody heretic!', and I pushed him off the bridge.” — Author Unknown

Sep 27, 2021
Norco
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“I was standing in the middle of the Golden Gate Bridge admiring the view when another tourist walked up alongside of me to do the same. I heard him say quietly, as he took in the beauty of the view, ‘What an awesome God.’

“I turned to him and said, ‘You a Christian?’

“He said, ‘Yes, I am a Christian.’

“I said, ‘So am I,’ and we shook hands. I said, ‘Are you a liberal or a fundamental Christian?’

“He said, ‘I am a fundamental Christian.’

“I said, ‘So am I,’ and we smiled and nodded to each other.
Love the story & a good reminder for us to remember what's important.
2 fundamental Christians in San Francisco...that's hilarious. (just kidding:))​

Reactions: Lambano and marks

360watt

Jun 6, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The disciples did all the work of a New Testament local church.

They had Jesus as the Head

They had the Lords Supper.

They had a treasurer. I think Judas had this role.. and though he was very likely unsaved.. the type of role as a treasurer is a mark of a church running.

They performed the great commission and commandment.

They were given authority to baptise. See the great commission.

They practiced discipleship.

They had a process for church discipline. See Matt 18.

They had Jesus with them, in person for years.

They were a body of Christ.. a local assembly of saved, baptized believers covenanted together to carry and the great commission and commandment.

Matt 16:20.. Jesus building His church .. is in a form that means 'will be building something already started '

And the meaning of church here is local. Because Matt 18.. church discipline passage is of a local church.

Jesus wouldn't introduce the church in Matt 16.. and then talk of a different kind of church in Matt 18.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The disciples did all the work of a New Testament local church.

They had Jesus as the Head

They had the Lords Supper.

They had a treasurer. I think Judas had this role.. and though he was very likely unsaved.. the type of role as a treasurer is a mark of a church running.

They performed the great commission and commandment.

They were given authority to baptise. See the great commission.

They practiced discipleship.

They had a process for church discipline. See Matt 18.

They had Jesus with them, in person for years.

They were a body of Christ.. a local assembly of saved, baptized believers covenanted together to carry and the great commission and commandment.

Matt 16:20.. Jesus building His church .. is in a form that means 'will be building something already started '

And the meaning of church here is local. Because Matt 18.. church discipline passage is of a local church.

Jesus wouldn't introduce the church in Matt 16.. and then talk of a different kind of church in Matt 18.
But, Scripture Does Have: Three Churches

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
of Christ?”
This is a TOTALLY POINTLESS question. If anything the twelve apostles (Judas excepted and Paul included) were the first to be placed into the Body of Christ. They received the Holy Ghost on the day of Christ's resurrection! And it is the Holy Spirit who "baptizes" or immerses believers into the Body of Christ. Why would anyone even ask such a question, since the apostles would not be very pleased with such questions?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a TOTALLY POINTLESS question. If anything the twelve apostles (Judas excepted and Paul included) were the first to be placed into the Body of Christ. They received the Holy Ghost on the day of Christ's resurrection! And it is the Holy Spirit who "baptizes" or immerses believers into the Body of Christ. Why would anyone even ask such a question, since the apostles would not be very pleased with such questions?
There are some distinctives shared by the Apostles - the 11 - not named for others. They received the Holy Spirit from Jesus the same way Adam did his life. Jesus breathed on them. Jesus gave them the same authority He Himself had to forgive or not forgive men's sins.

They were saved and indwelt by the Holy Spirit before, and in a different manner from anyone else, so how is it not a valid question to seek to understand these, and other distinctives?

Much love!

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
so how is it not a valid question to seek to understand these, and other distinctives?
The question was whether the apostles are in the Body of Christ, and if anything they were the first to be placed in the Body of Christ. Therefore if anyone understands salvation, they would not ask such a silly question.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

of Christ?” It is important here for the reader to understand that this question

Grace.

But before examining the Evidence of Scripture on the subject, let us first show

body of Christ.

as part of the body of Christ raises HUGE questions with regard to their teachings
and writings.

Grace was revealed to Paul, are we to take Peter’s epistles as instructions to the
body of Christ?

royal priesthood, (and) an holy nation” (1 Peter 2:9a)? If so, what “nation” are

...The two positions regarding this question are known as the “twelve in” and the
“twelve-out” positions. In answering the question of whether the twelve apostles

"...one final question: If it was God’s plan to transfer the twelve apostles into
"
(J Finck)

FULL study:

Precious friend(s):

Divided (+ I and II)
!
The simple answer is that the orignal 12 were part of the body of Christ!

As Paul wrote that to be filles with the spirit is the requirement for being tin the body, and the filling began at Pentecost yes the apostles were members of the body.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question was whether the apostles are in the Body of Christ, and if anything they were the first to be placed in the Body of Christ. Therefore if anyone understands salvation, they would not ask such a silly question.
For me the answer to this question is that they also were present with the Holy Spirit was given to all. This is when I understand the body of Christ to have begun.

And how do you learn without asking questions?

Much love!

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the twelve apostles (Judas excepted and Paul included) were the first to be placed into the Body of Christ.
So, you believe "Matthias appointment" was an "error of the eleven"...?:

"Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the
Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas...it is
written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no
man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.
Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the
LORD Jesus went in and out among us, Beginning from the baptism of John,
unto that same day that He was taken up from us, must one be ordained to
be a witness with us of His resurrection.
[How did Paul qualify here?]

And they appointed TWO, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed
Justus, and Matthias. And they prayed, and said, Thou, LORD, which
Knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of THESE TWO Thou
Hast Chosen

That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas
by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place. And they gave
forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered
with the eleven apostles." (Acts 1:16-26) [ ↑ Is this Saul/Paul? ]​

Or, was it a 'Valid Appointment' of God? Thus, the important question still remains:

"Why Did God Raise Up the apostle Paul?"

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not necessarily an "error" but a stop gap measure, since God had already reserved Paul from his mother's womb.
1 Corinthians 15:3-5 KJV
3) For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4) And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
5) And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:

the 11, and Matthias, making the 12. Isn't that what Paul is saying here?

Much love!

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And how do you learn without asking questions?
J. Finck (in the OP) is not a learner but a teacher, so there you go. As he admitted "To some, the question itself may seem irrelevant or even ridiculous". And in fact it is ridiculous.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
As I said that was a stop gap measure, so Paul acknowledged "the twelve" at that point. But more importantly here is what Paul said about himself: But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood: (Gal 1:15,16)

So Paul (just like John the Baptizer) was already chosen by God while still in the womb. But the timing for Paul to be declared an apostle was not immediately after the resurrection. Paul would be allowed to become a persecutor of the Church and then be blinded by Christ to understand who he was dealing with. Then he would be personally taught and discipled by Christ Himself to become the leading apostle, who wrote more than half the NT.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They were saved and indwelt by the Holy Spirit before, and in a different manner from anyone else, so how is it not a valid question to seek to understand these, and other distinctives?
Thank you for this Valuable input. Seems to me most are not interested in distinctives of
Scripture. One even "taught" me that 'Adam was the First in the Body Of Christ,' but I certainly
did not find it in the OT anywhere. Thus, we "study God's Word Of Truth," with rules, like #2,
'Rightly Divided,' and #3, 'Context is king,' (as many proclaim), like this:

1) In God's Context of prophecy/covenants/law, we find: Twelve tribes of Israel, with The
"Humble Servant," Christ, on the earth, teaching His Twelve apostles (Judas replaced by
Matthias) the gospel of the kingdom "he that believeth AND is baptized shall be saved",
and that they (Twelve) Will 'rule with Him (in the coming kingdom), over the Twelve tribes.'

This is Very Distinctive From, and must be:

Rightly Divided (2 Timothy 2:15) From “Things That Differ” (online)

2) God's Other Context Of Grace in His Revelation Of The Mystery, From The Risen And
Glorified LORD In Heaven, To ONE
apostle, Paul, to whom He Committed The Dispensation
Of Grace, With The Following Distinctives:

a) The Gospel Of Grace From Christ, with Salvation Now "By Grace Through faith,"
Apart from all 'works'​

Three times, God Inspired Paul to Distinctively say "my Gospel" (Rom_2:16; Rom_16:25; 2Ti_2:8)
= he Mis-speaks "our gospel," IF 'he got it from the Twelve,' Correct?
b) How many 'apostolic' apostle(s) should the Body of Christ 'follow'?: twelve, thirteen, or​
ONE?:
1Co_4:16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.​
1Co_11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.​
Eph_5:1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;​

c) Should we "Rightly Divide" Distinctives, or should we homogenize twelve and ONE
into THIRTEEN (unlucky Confusion)?​
--------------------------------
In Distinctive summary, God’s Mystery Program Has Its Own:

Apostle (Rom. 11:13; 1 Tim. 2:7)

Scriptures (1 Cor. 14:37; 1 Thes. 4:1)

Church (Eph. 1:22,23)

Baptism (Eph. 4:5; 1 Cor. 12:13)

Circumcision (Phil. 3:3; Col. 2:11)

Position (Eph. 2:6)

Relationship to God the Father (Gal. 4:6; Eph. 2:18; 4:6)

Relationship to God the Son (Col. 1:18; 2:10; Gal. 2:20)

Relationship to God the Holy Spirit (Rom. 8:26-27; 1 Cor. 6:19; Eph. 3:16)

Walk (Eph. 4:1; Col. 2:6)

Commission (2 Cor. 5:14-21; Eph. 3:9)

Gospel (1 Cor. 15:3-4; Eph. 2:8-9)

Last Days (1 Tim. 4:1-3; 2 Tim. 3:1-9)

Return of Christ (1 Thes. 4:13-18; Titus 2:13)

Resurrection (1 Cor. 15:51-54; 2 Cor. 4:4)

Judgment before Christ (1 Cor. 3:8-15; 2 Cor. 5:10)

Hope (Phil. 3:20; Col. 1:5)

Inheritance (Eph. 1:3,10,11)

There is One Body, and One Spirit, even as ye are called in One Hope
of your calling; One LORD, One Faith, One Baptism, One God and Father
of all, Who is above all, and through all, and in you all” (Eph. 4:4-6).

Conclusion: Does not this answer: Why Did God Raise Up the apostle Paul?
----------------------------
Precious friend(s):

Divided (+ I and II)
! ← More Distinctives...

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Grace.

body of Christ.

and writings.

body of Christ?

"
(J Finck)

FULL study:

Precious friend(s):

Divided (+ I and II)
!
This Scripture should... easily answer your question about Christ's Apostles...

Eph 2:18-22
18 For through Him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief corner stone;
21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
22 In whom ye also are
builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
KJV

Lord Jesus also told His 12 Apostles they each would sit upon a throne judging the 12 tribes of Israel in His FUTURE KINGDOM (Matthew 19:28).

That seals it.

But let me ask, WHY... would those you listen to preach any idea saying the 12 Apostles are NOT part of Christ's Church, or is that just your idea?

The churches that preach a false Pre-trib Rapture Theory do not like to represent Christ's Apostles and disciples as part of the Christian Church, simply because that would mean everything Lord Jesus said specifically to them ALSO then applies to our understanding in today's Christian Church.

Too bad they think that way, because ALL... of God's written Word applies to a Christian understanding still today. There are many Christian doctrines in The New Testament Books that won't be properly understood without The Old Testament Books.

One of the false doctrines the Pre-trib Rapture theory school has is saying that Jesus' Olivet discourse events that He was giving His disciples that were with Him upon the Mount of Olives, is not for us, The Christian Church. That idea of course is false, because Jesus was giving the 7 main SIGNS of the 'end' leading up to His future coming, and those SIGNS are also given in Revelation 6 with the Seals. This is why one can do a parallel Bible study of Matthew 24, Mark 13, with Revelation 6 (Seals). And the Book of Revelation makes it clear that John was to give that to the Christian Church.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But let me ask, WHY... would those you listen to preach any idea saying the 12 Apostles are NOT part of Christ's Church, or is that just your idea?
More strange and BIZARRE doctrines coming out of the woodwork. If you want to see a cross-section of them, then Christianity Board is the perfect venue! It just boggles the mind.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More strange and BIZARRE doctrines coming out of the woodwork. If you want to see a cross-section of them, then Christianity Board is the perfect venue! It just boggles the mind.
Well, we were warned about 'spirits of devils' being loosed upon the earth for the last days. See Andrew Strorm's video --

Reactions: amigo de christo