Are We Required to Tithe?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Jesus said He did not come to abolish the Law.
The law He DID abolish was the ceremonial law and the civil law.
Was tithing within one of these two types of law that was abolished?

Under the Levitical law the tithes were given to the Levites for their maintenance, and they in turn were charged with the paying of tithes on that which they received as shown by the words of the Lord as He instructed Moses:

Numbers 18:26
26“Moreover, you shall speak to the Levites and say to them, ‘When you take from the sons of Israel the tithe which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then you shall present an offering from it to the LORD, a tithe of the tithe."

The above verse shows that tithing was part of the Levitical Law, which would make it a Ceremonial Law, which was abolished.

Ceremonial and Civil Laws were abolished for Gentiles and the "new church" established by Jesus. See Acts 15:19 ..... The Council at Jerusalem decided not to "trouble" the gentiles that were turning to Christ with the old Laws of the Jews.

Paul teaches that the one who gives sparingly reaps sparingly, and the one who sows bountifully will reap bountifully. And in the next sentence he says:
2 Corinthians 9:7
7Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

It seems to me that tithing has been abolished.
Should we tithe?

Reactions: Rollo Tamasi

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Should we tithe?
Tithing was an integral part of the Old Covenant and the Levitical priesthood. Since that does not exist any more, Christian giving has replaced tithing, and would in fact be far more than tithing. There are several passages which give us this teaching.

Reactions: Helen

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Under the Levitical law the tithes were given to the Levites for their maintenance, and they in turn were charged with the paying of tithes on that which they received as shown by the words of the Lord as He instructed Moses:

26“Moreover, you shall speak to the Levites and say to them, ‘When you take from the sons of Israel the tithe which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then you shall present an offering from it to the LORD, a tithe of the tithe."

The above verse shows that tithing was part of the Levitical Law, which would make it a Ceremonial Law, which was abolished.

Ceremonial and Civil Laws were abolished for Gentiles and the "new church" established by Jesus. See Acts 15:19 ..... The Council at Jerusalem decided not to "trouble" the gentiles that were turning to Christ with the old Laws of the Jews.

Paul teaches that the one who gives sparingly reaps sparingly, and the one who sows bountifully will reap bountifully. And in the next sentence he says:
7Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Should we tithe?

All do Respect! So do not take it Personally! I have always found it Amusing that the [CHURCH] grabbed hold of this Commandment, while dispensing with many other's!
Tithing is a responsibility to each and every individual, we are to take a tenth of our gain, and then look for those in need, Widow's, Orphan's, Families in need, the poor and disabled!
We were never instructed to just give to an organization and then expect them to use the offering Wisely! As we see today! Lavish building's to edify the Preacher, that need's to be heated and or cooled 7 day's a week, when there are people out side suffering from the cold and or heat, going hungry, sick, homeless, broken soul's.
In Israel even today, people look for and even buy food so that the poor have a good Passover, and every other Feast they Observe!
If people would just loosen their purse string's, we might not need Welfare. Yes OT tithe's went to the Levitt's, you must also realize that a portion of every Sacrifice also went to the Priest's on duty during their allotted course of two week's, there were 24 course's, one week twice a year, and during the Feast's they all worked! Hey they BBQ-ed every day - the Priest's were well fed! Lamb, Bread, Wine!
What My Wife and I do is look for soul's in need! then make a way to help Secretly! Then all they can do is Thank God! not always easy!
worth the effort.
So giving is expected, Jesus made it very clear!!!!! - The Poor will be with you always!!!!! I think that there are fewer poor Churches, then poor people, which they convince to send money so that they will make it to Heaven!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All do Respect! So do not take it Personally! I have always found it Amusing that the [CHURCH] grabbed hold of this Commandment, while dispensing with many other's!
Tithing is a responsibility to each and every individual, we are to take a tenth of our gain, and then look for those in need, Widow's, Orphan's, Families in need, the poor and disabled!
We were never instructed to just give to an organization and then expect them to use the offering Wisely! As we see today! Lavish building's to edify the Preacher, that need's to be heated and or cooled 7 day's a week, when there are people out side suffering from the cold and or heat, going hungry, sick, homeless, broken soul's.
In Israel even today, people look for and even buy food so that the poor have a good Passover, and every other Feast they Observe!
If people would just loosen their purse string's, we might not need Welfare. Yes OT tithe's went to the Levitt's, you must also realize that a portion of every Sacrifice also went to the Priest's on duty during their allotted course of two week's, there were 24 course's, one week twice a year, and during the Feast's they all worked! Hey they BBQ-ed every day - the Priest's were well fed! Lamb, Bread, Wine!
What My Wife and I do is look for soul's in need! then make a way to help Secretly! Then all they can do is Thank God! not always easy!
worth the effort.
So giving is expected, Jesus made it very clear!!!!! - The Poor will be with you always!!!!! I think that there are fewer poor Churches, then poor people, which they convince to send money so that they will make it to Heaven!
And, doesn't it bless you beyond measure to be able to do these things for His Glory? And, to know you blessed someone in need (maybe even an angel :) To top it all off...you do it out of gratitude, cheerfully, from the heart just as Jesus wants us to do. God does not bless us with extra money/food/belongings etc. to hoard it for ourselves! Just as He blesses us, we should WANT to bless others. It was not like that for me B.C.!! PTL!

Reactions: GodsGrace and Truth

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And, doesn't it bless you beyond measure to be able to do these things for His Glory? And, to know you blessed someone in need (maybe even an angel :) To top it all off...you do it out of gratitude, cheerfully, from the heart just as Jesus wants us to do. God does not bless us with extra money/food/belongings etc. to hoard it for ourselves! Just as He blesses us, we should WANT to bless others. It was not like that for me B.C.!! PTL!

My Wife and I have been Homeless more than once, We never made cardboard sign's asking for [work, money, food, anything ] God has always kept us! in 2010 we lost everything, we realized that to try to live in a tent in Idaho, in Winter was not a good Idea, so we came to Arizona, we lived on the Desert for 2 1/2 years without power, running water, you know the simple thing's, All We can Say is that we were being prepared for tougher time's. I went from close to 300 lb's to about 170, and my Wife from 150 to about 90, we used to live the GOOD life, LOL!!!!
Trying to get a Cargo trailer, and turn it into a sleeper, and get on the Road and witness. at least as long as we have Social Security to afford to travel. We do try to help people in our community, we also tithe to two Ministries that We do Trust to do the right thing. Pray for us to get out of the Armpit of Arizona this Spring! Quartzsite, AZ is a nasty little town, with Town leadership in the pocket's of everyone they can, so getting out of here is going to be a blessing! Great wintering place out of town, in town not so good!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I tithe...and always have since becoming a believer. I think 10% is a guideline...a minimum. We have always been very well cared for by the Lord.
My thoughts as well. God gave me 100%, I should at least give 10% back. Money has always been an idol for man (not just in OT times) and giving back helps keep the Lord first.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My Wife and I have been Homeless more than once, We never made cardboard sign's asking for [work, money, food, anything ] God has always kept us! in 2010 we lost everything, we realized that to try to live in a tent in Idaho, in Winter was not a good Idea, so we came to Arizona, we lived on the Desert for 2 1/2 years without power, running water, you know the simple thing's, All We can Say is that we were being prepared for tougher time's. I went from close to 300 lb's to about 170, and my Wife from 150 to about 90, we used to live the GOOD life, LOL!!!!
Trying to get a Cargo trailer, and turn it into a sleeper, and get on the Road and witness. at least as long as we have Social Security to afford to travel. We do try to help people in our community, we also tithe to two Ministries that We do Trust to do the right thing. Pray for us to get out of the Armpit of Arizona this Spring! Quartzsite, AZ is a nasty little town, with Town leadership in the pocket's of everyone they can, so getting out of here is going to be a blessing! Great wintering place out of town, in town not so good!
@Truth I will add your request to my list, as well as a decent cargo trailer. Tough road for you two...when He prepares His children, He does it to the max, all I can say is that He must have awesome plans for you and your wife.

Last edited:

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tithing was actually before the law (Gen 14:20). Gal 3:15-17 explains that the law doesn't disannuall the promises given before the law. Jesus himself said we ought to tithe (Matt 23:23). Granted, it wasn't his main point. I understand that.

I know the talking points and debating ooints against these verses, but I won't go any farther in defending tithing, though I could. What I would like to focus on is the simple act of giving.

The OP gave what I consider to be the keynote scripture on why we should be a giver: the Lord loves cheerful givers. What need more be said?

Technically, perhaps tithing isn't part of the new covenent. I can give strong reasoning, but I am not sure I can give an irrefutable case for it. But I can for giving as it is discussed, asked for and commanded in every book of the NT except for maybe Jude.

Giving helps God in that you enable his ministers preach the Gospel. It helps you in that God gave certain promises to givers. It also helps Satan, but not in the way he wants. Satan actually tried to be a giver (luke 4:6) but Jesus rejected it. He wasn't even trying to give, he was trying to purchase. He's incapable of giving! We show Satan that he doesn't have the gift we have.

So giving is important. So how much? Well, as much as your heart wants to.

If being a Christian means being Christ-like, shouldn't we give like Jesus? So what did Jesus give?

Jesus gave so much in that though he was rich, he became poor (2 Cor 88:9). He left his glorious habitation for us. Not to mention he gave his earthly life for us.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tithing was actually before the law (Gen 14:20). Gal 3:15-17 explains that the law doesn't disannuall the promises given before the law. Jesus himself said we ought to tithe (Matt 23:23). Granted, it wasn't his main point. I understand that.

I know the talking points and debating ooints against these verses, but I won't go any farther in defending tithing, though I could. What I would like to focus on is the simple act of giving.

The OP gave what I consider to be the keynote scripture on why we should be a giver: the Lord loves cheerful givers. What need more be said?

Technically, perhaps tithing isn't part of the new covenent. I can give strong reasoning, but I am not sure I can give an irrefutable case for it. But I can for giving as it is discussed, asked for and commanded in every book of the NT except for maybe Jude.

Giving helps God in that you enable his ministers preach the Gospel. It helps you in that God gave certain promises to givers. It also helps Satan, but not in the way he wants. Satan actually tried to be a giver (luke 4:6) but Jesus rejected it. He wasn't even trying to give, he was trying to purchase. He's incapable of giving! We show Satan that he doesn't have the gift we have.

If being a Christian means being Christ-like, shouldn't we give like Jesus? So what did Jesus give?

Jesus gave so much in that though he was rich, he became poor (2 Cor 88:9). He left his glorious habitation for us. Not to mention he gave his earthly life for us.

Well Said! There is no Greater love than that A Soul give's up their Life for another, Brother or Sister, or? Because of LOVE! So Simple!
I don't think it can be mistranslated, or did HE!

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Should we tithe?
It's the letter of the Law that has been done away with but was then put under Grace.

To me Giving has got nothing to do with money at all, giving has to do with the Grace within you, such comes with abiding in the Charity of the Holy Spirit, this is the Well Spring of Christ our Lord.

Giving money does not cut it with God, that's a mans works thing, I know that most do not understand this, but truth is that charity is not humanitarianism or general amiability, it's a much wider scope than that.

Charity is the most important of all the virtues, it's summed up in the first and second commandments.

Without charity the soul is dead.

In the next life faith and hope will cease, but charity never.

1 Cor 13:13 So there abide faith, hope, and charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

So if it is not abiding in Christ Jesus charity then such just it does not cut it, because it's not due to God.

Governments can feed but they do not feed the soul, it's the soul that needs the feeding then we can see the works of God take place.

Reactions: GodsGrace

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
in all the many passages on money and giving in the New Testament, tithing is never even suggested, let alone commanded.

When Paul writes to the Corinthians about giving, he carefully avoids prescribing either a set amount or a fixed proportion. “Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” (II Corinthians 9:7)

So tithing is not compulsory; but we should not therefore dismiss it altogether. For how do we decide how much of our income to give away? At least the 10% figure gives us something to work from. It suggests that we should be giving a significant amount, not just the few coins left in our purses at the end of the week. We should probably be giving away enough for us to notice a dent in our weekly or monthly budget. For the less well off, this might be only 5% (or even less); but for the richer ones among us, it should probably be 20% (or even more).

Reactions: GodsGrace and Nancy

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
in all the many passages on money and giving in the New Testament, tithing is never even suggested, let alone commanded.

When Paul writes to the Corinthians about giving, he carefully avoids prescribing either a set amount or a fixed proportion. “Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” (II Corinthians 9:7)

So tithing is not compulsory; but we should not therefore dismiss it altogether. For how do we decide how much of our income to give away? At least the 10% figure gives us something to work from. It suggests that we should be giving a significant amount, not just the few coins left in our purses at the end of the week. We should probably be giving away enough for us to notice a dent in our weekly or monthly budget. For the less well off, this might be only 5% (or even less); but for the richer ones among us, it should probably be 20% (or even more).

Remember the widow. She was very poor and gave all she had....and this impressed Jesus.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How did you deal with your water situation for 2 1/2 years?

Stranger

Reactions: Truth

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Should we tithe?

In a word NO.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I tithe...and always have since becoming a believer. I think 10% is a guideline...a minimum. We have always been very well cared for by the Lord.

I used to until I studied the scripture and discovered nowhere in the NT does it tell you to tithe, so my giving changed and was more a case of what I was directed to give by the Spirit. On some occasions, tithing would have been disobedient to the Lord, as what was needed was far more than a tithe.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My thoughts as well. God gave me 100%, I should at least give 10% back. Money has always been an idol for man (not just in OT times) and giving back helps keep the Lord first.

I was a tither until I found out the truth. Now, whatever God gives me, a 100% is available to him so I give as directed by the Holy Spirit.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Should we tithe?

GodsGrace,

Tithing is biblical (for Old Covenant) but not Christian (for New Covenant).

Oz

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Sorry mate but Matt 23:23 is not directed to the Christian. It was directed to the Pharisees and he was telling them off for being so parsimonious about tithing and ignoring matters that were more important.

And I don't need any money to preach the gospel.

And tithing is not mentioned once in any book of the New Testament.

Luke 4: has nothing at all to with Satan giving. It was showing how he tried to tempt Jesus to give his power over to him.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It's the letter of the Law that has been done away with but was then put under Grace.

To me Giving has got nothing to do with money at all, giving has to do with the Grace within you, such comes with abiding in the Charity of the Holy Spirit, this is the Well Spring of Christ our Lord.

Giving money does not cut it with God, that's a mans works thing, I know that most do not understand this, but truth is that charity is not humanitarianism or general amiability, it's a much wider scope than that.

Charity is the most important of all the virtues, it's summed up in the first and second commandments.

Without charity the soul is dead.

In the next life faith and hope will cease, but charity never.

1 Cor 13:13 So there abide faith, hope, and charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

So if it is not abiding in Christ Jesus charity then such just it does not cut it, because it's not due to God.

Governments can feed but they do not feed the soul, it's the soul that needs the feeding then we can see the works of God take place.

I think that you will find that the word charity here means love. It has nothing at all to do with money.