Are you a chosen one?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

janc3

Sep 5, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
What do you say about yourself? Do you think you belong to the chosen ones who will have eternal life? And what makes you so sure?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know that I have most definitely received the Holy Ghost (and remission of sins) through the promise of Acts of the Apostles 2:38-39.

For He (and it) has been absolutely promised to me because I have fulfilled the condition of that promise.

janc3

Sep 5, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I know that I have most definitely received the Holy Ghost (and remission of sins) through the promise of Acts of the Apostles 2:38-39.

For He (and it) has been absolutely promised to me because I have fulfilled the condition of that promise.
More than 100 different groups who think they believe in the Bible but have different teachings claim to have the Holy Spirit.
Even the Bible clearly testifies that many who believe in the Messiah will in fact stay in the death forever:
Many will say to me on the day of judgment, "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied by thy name and cast out demons by thy name and done many miracles by thy name? And then I will explain to them: I have never known you; get away from me, you evildoers!
So I ask you, how can you be so sure that you have the Holy Spirit? Maybe you are deceiving yourself.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you say about yourself? Do you think you belong to the chosen ones who will have eternal life? And what makes you so sure?

Galatians 5:19-26
19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

I once lived continually in the acts of the flesh, could not escape them no matter how much I tried. God saved me in 1980 as I pleaded with Him to forgive me for all my horrible sins and the way I treated others. I was a hater, one who used and abused drugs, a fornicator, abusive speech, behavior, fits of rage getting into fights all the time. I didn't like school/college and hated to read. I wanted nothing whatsoever to do with God and in fact was internationally running from Him. My mother was a believer as was my future mother in law. They would preach at me but I had no interest.

That evening I was born again by Gods Spirit. I knew something happened to me as I desired to seek God through His word. I couldn't put the bible down. I started going to church to learn about Jesus with my future mother in law. I no longer hated people but felt shame for all the harm I had caused to others. My hate was replaced with love for others, I quit drinking and drugs immediately. I was experiencing the fruit of the spirit in my life. For the first time I had real peace, joy and self control as I sought Jesus and learned about the Christian life. I was discipled one on one with the Pastor and joined a small group bible study. That has not changed for me since 1980. I read and study His word daily and have continued to witness to others and have led many people to the Lord through witnessing how God had changed my life through the miracle of the new birth. God had changed my life completely and I had done a 180* turn around in the opposite direction.

God promises Eternal Life as per 1 John 5:11-13. I believed Gods word and His promises. My faith and security is in Him alone and when I do stumble or sin I'm immediately convicted of my sin and repent.

As a side note my then girlfriend that broke up with me I witnessed to and we married shortly after. We have 4 adult children who all serve the Lord in ministry as missionaries, childrens director, youth pastor and professional Christian musician on Klove.

God has truly blessed my family beyond what I could ever imagined. I've seen the Lord answer so many prayers over the past 40 plus years that I could write page after page of His faithfulness in our lives.

hope this helps !

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More than 100 different groups who think they believe in the Bible but have different teachings claim to have the Holy Spirit.
Even the Bible clearly testifies that many who believe in the Messiah will in fact stay in the death forever:
Many will say to me on the day of judgment, "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied by thy name and cast out demons by thy name and done many miracles by thy name? And then I will explain to them: I have never known you; get away from me, you evildoers!
So I ask you, how can you be so sure that you have the Holy Spirit? Maybe you are deceiving yourself.
The Holy Ghost is absolutely promised to those who fulfill the condition of the promise in Acts of the Apostles 2:38-39.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

I once lived continually in the acts of the flesh, could not escape them no matter how much I tried. God saved me in 1980 as I pleaded with Him to forgive me for all my horrible sins and the way I treated others. I was a hater, one who used and abused drugs, a fornicator, abusive speech, behavior, fits of rage getting into fights all the time. I didn't like school/college and hated to read. I wanted nothing whatsoever to do with God and in fact was internationally running from Him. My mother was a believer as was my future mother in law. They would preach at me but I had no interest.

That evening I was born again by Gods Spirit. I knew something happened to me as I desired to seek God through His word. I couldn't put the bible down. I started going to church to learn about Jesus with my future mother in law. I no longer hated people but felt shame for all the harm I had caused to others. My hate was replaced with love for others, I quit drinking and drugs immediately. I was experiencing the fruit of the spirit in my life. For the first time I had real peace, joy and self control as I sought Jesus and learned about the Christian life. I was discipled one on one with the Pastor and joined a small group bible study. That has not changed for me since 1980. I read and study His word daily and have continued to witness to others and have led many people to the Lord through witnessing how God had changed my life through the miracle of the new birth. God had changed my life completely and I had done a 180* turn around in the opposite direction.

God promises Eternal Life as per 1 John 5:11-13. I believed Gods word and His promises. My faith and security is in Him alone and when I do stumble or sin I'm immediately convicted of my sin and repent.

As a side note my then girlfriend that broke up with me I witnessed to and we married shortly after. We have 4 adult children who all serve the Lord in ministry as missionaries, childrens director, youth pastor and professional Christian musician on Klove.

God has truly blessed my family beyond what I could ever imagined. I've seen the Lord answer so many prayers over the past 40 plus years that I could write page after page of His faithfulness in our lives.

hope this helps !
That is an awesome testimony....thanks for sharing. :)

Reactions: ChristisGod

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I am saved by the Holy One of Israel and God makes it known to me.
I follow the Spirit to the best of my abilities, listening and learning every day in faith. It is the most I can do.

Likewise, I would advise you to listen to Him and follow Him. Not wasting time of thinking what others may be doing, trolling questions, and hesitate because of that. Just follow Him.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I am saved by the Holy One of Israel and God makes it known to me.

I follow the Spirit to the best of my abilities, listening and learning every day in faith. It is the most I can do.

Likewise, I would advise you to listen to Him and follow Him. Not wasting time of thinking what others may be doing, trolling questions, and hesitate because of that. Just follow Him.
So, it is based on you; and on what you do.

Considering that the heart of man is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked (Jeremiah 17:9), I don't consider that that is a very good place to put your trust.

janc3

Sep 5, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

hope this helps !
It sounds good but I also hear such stories from Muslims, Buddhists etc.

Reactions: MattMooradian

janc3

Sep 5, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The Holy Ghost is absolutely promised to those who fulfill the condition of the promise in Acts of the Apostles 2:38-39.
Everyone says so, and almost everyone has a different view of the Bible. But the Bible can only have one view. Which view is the true one?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone says so, and almost everyone has a different view of the Bible. But the Bible can only have one view. Which view is the true one?
I would only refer you to 2 Timothy 2:15 and Acts of the Apostles 17:10-11.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The terms "called" and "chosen" are special terms used by many groups and aren't exactly based on Jewish cultural norms. And I am not sure of anyone's usage except scriptural and anthropological norms of the Jewish people...so I'll use those.

But suffice it to say that the broad based group of "called" ones is rather large and I have no doubt that I am one of those.

Then there's the more specialized group of "chosen". I'm not exactly sure that I qualify...but in many aspects I am one of those. Too much "stuff" has happened. Too many "coincidences" occurring. I have too much of a reputation to really be outside that group. But I'm not exactly a "recognized" leader of the formal organizations. I'm just a useful tool that God keeps handy for various projects...
So...it's a grey area that I'm fairly unsure about. It's right on the line. There's no doubt that God has kept his eye on me and has had to bail me out of various situations. (Which I feel horrendously guilty about)

Especially the thing where He has made me a something out if the nothing I really am. And where I don't think that I was ever worth the effort.... apparently He does. And the price I've seen people pay for abuse or touching what belongs to God is high...very high.

So I'm not exactly sure... this mortal life isn't over yet. Got a few good years left in me... hindsight is 20/20....my foresight isn't so good. But God knows it.

Reactions: Nancy

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you say about yourself? Do you think you belong to the chosen ones who will have eternal life?
Yes, I have been chosen on the basis of my faith in Christ.

And what makes you so sure?
I know I am chosen because I have that which accompanies salvation.

Hebrews 6:9
...things that accompany salvation...

Reactions: ChristisGod

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then there's the more specialized group of "chosen". I'm not exactly sure that I qualify
If you have received God's forgiveness of sin then God has qualified you to be among the chosen.

Colossians 1:12
...the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you have received God's forgiveness of sin then God has qualified you to be among the chosen.

Colossians 1:12
...the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light.

Like I said...
I'm going with a biblical definition and not a recent definition.

Chosen to be an apostle...that's a unique role to be chosen for...it's about leadership and not just salvation.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like I said...
I'm going with a biblical definition and not a recent definition.

Chosen to be an apostle...that's a unique role to be chosen for...it's about leadership and not just salvation.
That's fine, but how would you answer the OP--being chosen in regard to salvation itself?

1 Thessalonians 1:4-5
4For we know, brothers and sisters b loved by God, that he has chosen you, 5because our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and deep conviction.