Are you Holy?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stuart

Jan 1, 2021
Scotland
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
in 1 Peter 13 it say be holy, do you think you are Holy? Idk if i am bc the first part stuck me saying 'minds that are Alert and fully sober, I do not think my mind is fully alert bc i take psychiatric meds and it clouds my judgement sometimes (despite how hard i try) I would like to be Holy as he was, he is my ultimate role model and try to live up to his standards, i fall short on so many levels, so i'd say i asm not Holy but i try my best to be as Holy as i can, does that make sense?

Reactions: Truman

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
in 1 Peter 13 it say be holy, do you think you are Holy? Idk if i am bc the first part stuck me saying 'minds that are Alert and fully sober, I do not think my mind is fully alert bc i take psychiatric meds and it clouds my judgement sometimes (despite how hard i try) I would like to be Holy as he was, he is my ultimate role model and try to live up to his standards, i fall short on so many levels, so i'd say i asm not Holy but i try my best to be as Holy as i can, does that make sense?

Holy is to be set apart for God by God. No matter how hard we might try, we cannot make ourselves holy. Only God can do that.

Stuart

Jan 1, 2021
Scotland
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
16 because it is written, Ye shall be holy; for I am holy.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I am, or any of us are, it's only by God's grace and the blood of the lamb.

Ephesians 2:8-10

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
If I am, or any of us are, it's only by God's grace and the blood of the lamb.

Ephesians 2:8-10

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
@FluffyYellowDuck Indeed, it's all to do with the grace of God and not mere religious fervour.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
depending on the strength of a persons faith then?
The Bible says in Hebrew 11:6 that without faith it is impossible to please God.

Still, Jesus said we only need the faith of a mustard seed to move mountains.

“...I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘move from here to there’ and it will move; Nothing will be impossible for you.”

So I think if we have mustard seed sized faith, it is still faith.

Stuart

Jan 1, 2021
Scotland
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Amen, I wish we all had those little mustard seeds in us, i fear for the future though, the evil of this world is great and we are waning, how can we plant a crop of these seeds and increase our harvest?

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen, I wish we all had those little mustard seeds in us, i fear for the future though, the evil of this world is great and we are waning, how can we plant a crop of these seeds and increase our harvest?

I would say by reading the Bible and if we lack faith, then by praying for God to help give us faith. Sometimes he's the only one that knows how.

Another practice, I believe, is by making sure that you have the armor in Ephesians 6 to block whatever is hindering your faith.

Ephesians 6 13-17

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Just like if you're under spiritual attack, you fight back in the same way Jesus did in the desert. He didn't argue with Satan. He gave us an example by quoting scripture (that is your sword) until Satan left him. "Submit to yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he shall flee from you."

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Some days I come pretty darn close to qualifying. Other days, not so much.
depending on the strength of a persons faith then?

I think faith is a doorway, but to walk through that door you need to give yourself increasingly to your calling, and likewise to trying to develop a consistent lifestyle of prayer. If you can add fasting to that lifestyle is when you can get pretty darn close.

But I don't wanna try and sound all high and mighty. Some days I'm like sin crouching at humanity's feet, especially when I'm not in a particularly good mood. But all of us are trying to do our best before God to bring the flesh under, which is why I believe crucifying it through fasting and prayer is the truest path to walking in genuine holiness.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The Bible says in Hebrew 11:6 that without faith it is impossible to please God.

Still, Jesus said we only need the faith of a mustard seed to move mountains.

“...I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘move from here to there’ and it will move; Nothing will be impossible for you.”

@FluffyYellowDuck What a tremendous chapter is Hebrews 11! :)

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not think my mind is fully alert bc i take psychiatric meds and it clouds my judgement sometimes (despite how hard i try)

That's a really important part of your question and I'm sorry I didn't respond to it right away. I think it's important to keep in mind here that psychiatric medication and illness, no matter what it may be, I believe God is merciful and understanding of. If God understands physical illness, he understands mental illness (if that is what you are going through... wanting to throw that out there) and he gets it. I know what it is like. He loves you no matter what frame of mind you're in.

So I think part of this is you might want to be more graceful with yourself and just rely on what the Bible says and know it is true. Sometimes our feelings lie to us and I know if you're battling something that affects your clarity or peace of mind, or causes you to ruminate, just surrender it all and trust him. Part of his grace is understanding our blocks.

tl;dr: We can't trust our feelings all of the time, but we can trust in what the Bible says, and the Bible says if you believe in the son then you're free. So you are free.

Titus 3:4

But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That's a really important part of your question and I'm sorry I didn't respond to it right away. I think it's important to keep in mind here that psychiatric medication and illness, no matter what it may be, I believe God is merciful and understanding of. If God understands physical illness, he understands mental illness (if that is what you are going through... wanting to throw that out there) and he gets it. I know what it is like. He loves you no matter what frame of mind you're in.

So I think part of this is you might want to be more graceful with yourself and just rely on what the Bible says and know it is true. Sometimes our feelings lie to us and I know if you're battling something that affects your clarity or peace of mind, or causes you to ruminate, just surrender it all and trust him. Part of his grace is understanding our blocks.

tl;dr: We can't trust our feelings all of the time, but we can trust in what the Bible says, and the Bible says if you believe in the son then you're free. So you are free.

Titus 3:4

But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.
@FluffyYellowDuck For the believer, it's the promises of God rather than feelings that count: "For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us." ( 2 Corinthians 1.20).

Reactions: DuckieLady

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I would say by reading the Bible and if we lack faith, then by praying for God to help give us faith. Sometimes he's the only one that knows how.

Another practice, I believe, is by making sure that you have the armor in Ephesians 6 to block whatever is hindering your faith.

Ephesians 6 13-17

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Just like if you're under spiritual attack, you fight back in the same way Jesus did in the desert. He didn't argue with Satan. He gave us an example by quoting scripture (that is your sword) until Satan left him. "Submit to yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he shall flee from you."
@FluffyYellowDuck Yes, I was thinking of Ephesians 6 and the whole armour of God also.

(Actually, the whole armour of God is a subject that @Heart2Soul has talked about quite a bit also.)

Faithsong

Jan 18, 2021
Bergs Mill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Holy is to be set apart for God by God. No matter how hard we might try, we cannot make ourselves holy. Only God can do that.
While we can not make ourselves holy, we can decide in our opinion if another person is holy to us.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
While we can not make ourselves holy, we can decide in our opinion if another person is holy to us.
Only God can see a person's heart. We may often mistake piety for holiness.

Reactions: amadeus

Billy Evmur

Dec 30, 2020
London
facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Not "as holy as He was ..." but "as holy as He is ..."

He is holy IN YOU and that is the only holiness that counts with God, does He dwell in you by faith? then you are holy.

...our flesh will never be holy.

Reactions: Pearl

Faithsong

Jan 18, 2021
Bergs Mill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only God can see a person's heart. We may often mistake piety for holiness.
Does this mean that you are not aware of any humans who are or were holy?

The 12 Apostles were not holy in your opinion?

See God gave you the ability to think, he does not want to think for you as this would demean you

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Does this mean that you are not aware of any humans who are or were holy?

The 12 Apostles were not holy in your opinion?

See God gave you the ability to think, he does not want to think for you as this would demean you
i did not say anything like that. If humans are holy it is only because God has made them holy through the Lord Jesus. And I know plenty of people like that. Including me.