Asexual marriages

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lucian Hodoboc

Jul 17, 2017
Craiova
Faith
Christian
Country
Romania
For those of you who are not familiar with what asexuality is, I recommend you look it up online. There are many websites that explain in detail about asexuality (Asexuality.org, Psychology Today, Wikipedia etc.).

In short, asexuality is considered a sexual orientation characterized by very low or nonexistent libido and lack of sexual attraction towards anyone. Asexual people feel either repulsed by or indifferent to sexual intercourse, and they simply don't want to engage in it. There are various degrees of asexuality, some asexuals being able to tolerate sexual intercourse once in a while for the sake of having a family.

Asexuality should not be mistaken for celibacy, the latter being a personal choice. Asexual people can/may be able to fall in love and develop romantic feelings for other people, and even have romantic relationships and marry, because they do feel aesthetic and emotional attraction.

In light of these, there exist out there a few cases of asexual marriages between asexuals or between an asexual and a non-asexual person. For example: First Person: 'We're married, we just don't have sex'

I want to ask you what your opinion is from a Christian perspective. The logical thing to do from a Biblical view is to not get married if you don't feel the desire of having sex (1 Corithians 7:8), but what if two asexual people fall in love with each other and get married, but do not feel the need to have sexual intercourse after they are married and never do. Does this break the commandments from Genesis 1:28 and from 1 Corithians 7:3?

Are asexual marriages sinful?

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No its not sin, if you do not have a desire for sex. I dont feel like it and some times my wife doesnt feel like it. I would say its not from God. If we were all like that the man kind would die off. I would say this is demonic and not the persons fault we where created to multiply and glorify the Lord by multiplying, what He created. God loves these people as much as any other. Gods not waiting to slap us down. He sent Jesus to the cross and it pleased Hin to do so. What was He pleased about? our return. He loves us.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I had an Aunt and Uncle who never consummated their marriage.
They were attracted to each other because they were both happy and fun loving people. They even agreed before the wedding that they would have their own bedrooms.
They had a wonderful life together. They brought joy to each other and to the rest of the family. For us kids they were always fun.

No, they never broke any law of God.
Anyway, for the Christian .."believing believer".....the law of Moses was just that..
Jesus said that everything that pleased God is by the heart test. The is the governing law.
He left us with "LOVE God and LOVE thy neighbour...."

If we do that, and live by that...then all other laws from the OT are fulfilled. God is Love
A person does not kill if they LOVE. etc etc

LOVE always WINS!

Jul 6, 2011
There is no such thing as asexual as far as God is concerned. The varying dictionary definitions dont help because 'asexual' is a confused and misleading term. In the past sex=male and female by anatomy and gender=linguistic masculine and feminine. Sexual orientation is not a concept in God's word, but it would explain the desires that cause right or wrong actions.
Also. love is separate from sex. Yes sex within a loving man/woman union. As Christians we are to love all people and two men can love each other without any sexual desire.
As to your question, if a man and woman get married and don't have sex that is not a sin even though the marriage's intended consummation is not fulfilled.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For those of you who are not familiar with what asexuality is, I recommend you look it up online. There are many websites that explain in detail about asexuality (Asexuality.org, Psychology Today, Wikipedia etc.).

In short, asexuality is considered a sexual orientation characterized by very low or nonexistent libido and lack of sexual attraction towards anyone. Asexual people feel either repulsed by or indifferent to sexual intercourse, and they simply don't want to engage in it. There are various degrees of asexuality, some asexuals being able to tolerate sexual intercourse once in a while for the sake of having a family.

Asexuality should not be mistaken for celibacy, the latter being a personal choice. Asexual people can/may be able to fall in love and develop romantic feelings for other people, and even have romantic relationships and marry, because they do feel aesthetic and emotional attraction.

In light of these, there exist out there a few cases of asexual marriages between asexuals or between an asexual and a non-asexual person. For example: First Person: 'We're married, we just don't have sex'

I want to ask you what your opinion is from a Christian perspective. The logical thing to do from a Biblical view is to not get married if you don't feel the desire of having sex (1 Corithians 7:8), but what if two asexual people fall in love with each other and get married, but do not feel the need to have sexual intercourse after they are married and never do. Does this break the commandments from Genesis 1:28 and from 1 Corithians 7:3?

other than to help the well being of children there is no real reason for what you describe. marriage is an institution for the development of a family unit as in having children or even in the case of if you burn you should marry. this horse dump of seeking Christian values to agree with social values and wants, never works. the two don't agree, never will.

and using scripture to justify what is obviously not Christian values according to the Lord, is nothing more then the effort to deceive.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The biblical model of marriage manifest in the world among the fallen, in whatever form, is imperfect. The best (and the purpose), just as it is described by God, is between a man and a woman...later explained as a model of the relationship of Christ and the church - which is the [only] reason for marriage.

Consider the animals. They too are God's creature, but do not marry. So, then, it is only for the relationship that we have, being created in the image of God, that we marry. Limited to the example of Christs relationship with the church, leaves all other forms of marriage as a mistitled human social union, a way of "playing house."

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The biblical model of marriage manifest in the world among the fallen, in whatever form, is imperfect. The best (and the purpose), just as it is described by God, is between a man and a woman...later explained as a model of the relationship of Christ and the church - which is the [only] reason for marriage.

Consider the animals. They too are God's creature, but do not marry. So, then, it is only for the relationship that we have, being created in the image of God, that we marry. Limited to the example of Christ's relationship with the church, leaves all other forms of marriage as a mistitled human social union, a way of "playing house."

That was interesting.....The union between Christ and His Church...which is what we see in The Garden ....how stupid of me... With Adam and Eve...in all my years..I had never ever thought the thought.....that Adam and Eve were not ever "married" :D :)....
I could smack myself, very obviously I 'knew' it...but never thought about it before when speaking of 'marriage.'
Thank you.. you triggered something there for me.

Reactions: ScottA

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Marriage is for sex - but not only for sex.

A 'sexless' marriage is risky if one of the partners feels deprived or cheated and is then tempted to commit adultery. But if both are happy with the situation, it's not sinful.

Reactions: Lucian Hodoboc

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Physical Attraction is a normal beginning for most couples, which in time should become a solid friendship, without intimacy, by Christian standards! Usually with starting a family in the future, not all couples are blessed with children, so there is an expectable marriage without Children. being in a relationship with some you hold dear is fine, as long as they are not of the same Gender!!! My Wife and I have been Married 34 years, and we chose not to have Children, does this make it wrong?