Attack On Christian Forums On the Internet?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not understand the technology as it could very well be that it is just my folks' computer that is being messed with in hindering me access to christian forums, but I will share this;

I do a google search for christian forums. A top forum no longer exists.

I go to try a new christian forum and when I clicked on the link from my Google search, the address change and told me in a flash second screen image over the page of the christian forum that I had inadvertantly downloaded a virus and to call a number which I did not do. It was a scam but it was a blocking scam.

Later on I went back to my older christian forum that I had frequented and had to enroll again at lampstandstudy and was there for a while until I withdrew and dropped the link under "My Favorites". When I doubted it was time for my withdrawal, I did the search and clicked on the link and got blocked by a similar screen referring to another virus. I backed out, not falling for it, but I could not get around that blocking scam.

I do noticed oddities on this computer sometimes and wondering if my coming here is helping the enemy block this site from regular users? And the moment I drop this site from under "My Favorites", I will not be able to get back in again if I had come back later on?

I suppose if I did a Google search for this forum again and click on the link, I'd be able to tell if this site is now blocked. If so, I better not go to any more christian forums as I must have been fortunate to be able to get into this one is this blocking thing is being done by a personal enemy of mine. And yes, I have noticed someone coming into this home where I live with my folks and switching stuff out, etc. Makes me wonder if they had directly messed with my folks' computer.

I did the Google search and was still able to click on this link to get in. Whew.

Anyway... just noting this over the internet, and I am wondering if anybody else had noticed this too? Or is the problem is designated only for me to have by an unknown enemy?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
It is a virus or trojan that has infected your browser. It likely changed your proxy settings which redirects you to other sites. I wouldn't expect it to only be happening on Christian sites.

You need to scan your computer with malwarebytes or some other decent free scanner. Then you may need to restore your browser to defaults to clear the proxy settings. From internet explorer click tools, internet options, advanced, then reset.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks, 1forrest.

The free downloaded malware detected 627 objects and had them all quarantined. When I was in the process of resetting the internet explorer, the malware protection blocked mindspark from accessing the computer again until it was finally reset.

Hopefully, that shall stop the pranks I have been experiencing on this computer.

Thanks again.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lforrest said:
Glad that worked for you.
I googled search for lampstandstudy.com again but it happened again. Can't get in. Should have tried it right after I had this done yesterday.

Can you get in to that site? You do not have to log in; but see if you can even access the web page site?

I really think someone came into my folks' home and planted something directly into the computer. There are evidence of other mischiefs in the home, but I did not consider that the intruder had messed with the computer too. It's looking that way.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
There is another scanner available that may find spyware. Try "Spybot search and destroy."

Viruses can also be pervasive, and may appear again if not totally eradicated. Scan again with the virus scanner and see if one of the original viruses has returned. Then you can research how to remove that particular virus.

Doug_E_Fresh

gяελ нατ jεsμs ƒяεακ
Dec 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
dswdoctrine.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi JesusIsFaithful, two recommendations for you:

1. If you have a website link, or file that you think may contain a virus, go to http://www.virustotal.com to let that website scan it for you.

2. If you're not sure if a website is working properly, you can go to http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ to check whether or not the website is able to be accessed. For testing purposes, try typing in www.google.com.

I hope that helps!
- DF

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lforrest said:
There is another scanner available that may find spyware. Try "Spybot search and destroy."

Viruses can also be pervasive, and may appear again if not totally eradicated. Scan again with the virus scanner and see if one of the original viruses has returned. Then you can research how to remove that particular virus.
I rescanned the computer by that malware one you had recommended and it came up empty. I have yet to down load the other suggestion.

God be willing, I am going to try Doug_E_Fresh's idea before I download anything more on my folks' computer. Thanks.
AHAH!!! Gotcha.

The Google address is the tricky thing.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl

When I used this to search for lampstandstudy.com, that link that google gave me blocked it even though I could access other sites by that search engine. So when I erased the extra and used that google web page with just https://www.google.com/ I was able to access the link of that christian web site from that google search result. Diabolical.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of that out of my internet explorer because it just lists https://www.google.com/ but when I hit home, I get that google with the extra every time.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Your home page is stored under internet options, general tab.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lforrest said:
Your home page is stored under internet options, general tab.
I know. In spite of it just saying www.google.com, whenever I hit home tab, it brings up that imposter site that has those extras following it. I switched it out to Bing. So far, less trouble. I managed to get into lampstandstudy.com eventually and stored that site under Favorites. How long I am there or even here for that matter is up to the Lord. I know if I get blocked, Jesus is still Lord.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I've found with those is that it will edit your browser and sometimes even the host file so that while you think you're going to www.google.com, you're going to a spoof spam site.

Are you using Internet Explorer (IE) for your browser? If you are, go to the gear symbol (Tools menu), hit Internet Options. Once there, hit Reset. Warning: This will delete everything like favorites, cookies, etc.

(If you have another browser, let me know.)

However, I recommend this because chances are you have something else going on. If that doesn't work, I've had a lot of success with HijackThis. It's a browser tool to remove malware from IE. Use at your own risk, though, as it will grab all addons, etc. and it can lead to a broken browser.

Doug_E_Fresh

gяελ нατ jεsμs ƒяεακ
Dec 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
dswdoctrine.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One suggestion is, if you're willing and able, I could look at it from remotely from my pc. But that's up to you. I'm just putting it out there as a last resort. I'd hate to see you pay for a service or a new pc if it can be fixed.

-DF