Baptisim

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All saved persons have been made members of the Body of Christ by One divine baptism (this is baptism into the Body of Christ by the Holy Spirit). By that ONE BAPTISM, every member of the Body of Christ is identified with Christ in His death, burial and resurrection. In light of the statement concerning the "ONE BAPTISM" in Ephesians 4:5 and the statement in I Corinthians 1:17 that "Christ sent me not to baptize but to preach the gospel", we affirm that water baptism has no place in God's spiritual program for the Body of Christ in this day of grace.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"Christ sent me not to baptize but to preach the gospel"
It is very questionable to just quote a part of a verse and to take it out of context.
Paul was talking to a church devided into factions, 'I follow Apolose', 'I follow Paul' etc and he is countering there factional belief. He says he baptised several people in that church.
So on that your argument is refuted.

Then you are going against Jesus's command in Matt 28:8 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
All saved persons have been made members of the Body of Christ by One divine baptism (this is baptism into the Body of Christ by the Holy Spirit). By that ONE BAPTISM, every member of the Body of Christ is identified with Christ in His death, burial and resurrection. In light of the statement concerning the "ONE BAPTISM" in Ephesians 4:5 and the statement in I Corinthians 1:17 that "Christ sent me not to baptize but to preach the gospel", we affirm that water baptism has no place in God's spiritual program for the Body of Christ in this day of grace.

AMEN...I totally agree :)

Reactions: Nancy

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you Helen,
Our preacher explained this to us , and I know it is true, but hard to make people understand ....

You know, people say we ought to be water baptised, because Jesus was. Why? Do you want to be a priest? And why was all the nation of Israel being baptised? Remember the covenant God made with the nation of Israel: “Ye shall be a kingdom of Priests” Exodus 19:6. That’s why water baptism belongs to the nation of Israel.

We are now all Gentiles, and in the time of Grace and some just cant understand this !

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and Helen

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you Helen,
Our preacher explained this to us , and I know it is true, but hard to make people understand ....
You know, people say we ought to be water baptised, because Jesus was. Why? Do you want to be a priest? And why was all the nation of Israel being baptised? Remember the covenant God made with the nation of Israel: “Ye shall be a kingdom of Priests” Exodus 19:6. That’s why water baptism belongs to the nation of Israel.

We are now all Gentiles, and in the time of Grace and some just cant understand this !
Ths is totally FALSE - and just a few verses of Scripture prove this point.

- In the Great Commission - Jesus commanded His Apostles to Baptize ALL NATIONS (Matt. 29:19).
- The Ethiopian Eunuch in Acts 8 was NOT a Jew - yet he was Baptized in WATER by Phillip.
- Cornelius and his entire household were Baptized in WATER - and they were GENTILES (Acts 10:48).

YOUR Pastor's charge that Water Baptism is only for Jews is a FALSE teaching . . .

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thank you Helen,

“Ye shall be a kingdom of Priests” Exodus 19:6 has nothing to do with baptism. The type of baptism the Jews have is circumcision. Baptism is the NEW circumcision, unless you disagree with Col 2:11-12:
11 In him you were also circumcised with a circumcision not performed by human hands. Your whole self ruled by the flesh was put off when you were circumcised by Christ, 12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the working of God …

Gen. 17:12, Lev. 12:3 – these texts show the circumcision of eight-day old babies as the way of entering into the Old Covenant –
Did the parents wait for the baby to be old enough to decide for himself???

In both Old and New Testaments, there are three ranks of priests, which are commonly referred to as the high priests, the ministerial priests, and the universal priests.

At the time of the Exodus the high priest was Aaron (Ex. 31:30), the ministerial priests were his four sons (Ex. 28:21; the sons were Nadab, Abihu, Eleazar, and Ithamar, the first two of which were killed for abusing their priestly duties), and the universal priests were the people of Israel as a whole (Exodus 19:6).

Prior to this time, there had been neither a high priest nor had God elected all of Israel as universal priests. There was only the ministerial priesthood, which appears to have resided in the firstborn male of each family. The existence of the pre-Aaronic ministerial priesthood is shown in Exodus 19:22 and 24, which differentiate the priests from the people but occur before the establishment in the Aaronic priesthood in Exodus 28. The fact that the ministerial priests were held by the firstborn is suggested (though not proven) by the exchange of the priestly tribe of Levi for the firstborn of Israel in Numbers 3.

In any event, the three-fold model of the priesthood which was in use at the time of Aaron was carried over into the New Testament and thus we find there also a high priest, ministerial priests, and universal priests. In the New Testament age the high priest is Jesus Christ (Heb. 3:1), the ministerial priests are Christ’s ordained ministers of the gospel (Rom. 15:16), and the universal priests are the entire Christian people (1 Peter. 2:5, 9).

So the Bible clearly states that all Christians are priests (1 Peter 2:5, 9), as the Catholic Church clearly teaches for all who bother to read its teachings, see Catechism of the Catholic Church 1141-4, 1268, 1305, 1535, 1547, 1591-2 on the common priesthood. But the Bible also said the same thing about the Israelites (Ex. 19:6), yet this did not prevent there from being a separate, ministerial priesthood even before the Law of Moses was given (Ex. 19:22, 24).

The Office of New Testament Priest – Jimmy Akin

Reactions: Philip James

Wafer

May 16, 2019
Yuma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Baptize" means to dip. It does not imply water, the dipping can be in anything.

Acts 1:5 King James Version (KJV)
5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

"But", get it? That sets one baptism in contrast to the other. Water baptism is out.

Acts 10:44-48 King James Version (KJV)
44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

That says Peter baptized them in water, right? No he didn't. He says so in the next chapter.

Acts 11:15-17 King James Version (KJV)
15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.

16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.

17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

You might also notice that they manifested the holy spirit BEFORE water was even considered.

Romans 10:9-10 King James Version (KJV)
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Nothing there about water. People are saved by grace, not by water.

Reactions: Nancy

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BreadOfLife
Hope you can understand this !!!!!!! :)

Eph. 3:

For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,

If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,

Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel
And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

4:
That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods

The baptism with the HS was a prophecy of Joel that the Lord fulfilled some 2000 years ago making that baptism obsolete. The one baptism today, the one means of salvation is the human administered water baptism of Christ's great commission. This baptism is commanded, it is how disciples are made and lasts till the end of the world.

If Paul was not sent to water baptize, then why did Paul water baptized people himself, 1 Corinthians 1:14-16, was water baptized himself and taught the necessity of water baptism? Paul is under the great commission of Christ to go teach and baptized. To have 1 Cor 1:17 say Paul was not to baptize contradicts that great commission. What Paul is doing in 1 Cor 1:17 is a 'not-but' elliptical statment where he was putting emphasis on preaching over baptizing but not to the total exclusion of baptizing.

In fact, in 1 Cor 1:13 Paul shows the necessity of water baptism for one to be "of Christ". For a person to be "of" some one that someone must have 1) died for you and 2) you be baptized in that someone's name These two things are only true of Christ. For you to be "of Christ" He must have died for you and must be baptized in His name, which is the same baptism of Acts 2:38 and Acts 10:47-48 which is water baptism in the name of the Lord for remission of sins.

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eph.2;

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Eph.2;
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Hello grams,
Yes, just as written by you here...
We cannot baptize ourselves...it is a gift from God, administered by the community, who , in Faith, ask God to grant you the gifts of Faith and the Holy Spirit...
Baptism is not a work you perform, it is Grace, that you receive!

Peace be with you!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you make of Jesus commandment in Matthew 28:19?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marymog
Read Eph. 3 Please and maybe you will understand
Read all of Scripture and MAYBE you will understand.....;)

You choose not to follow the commandment of Jesus and the teachings of the Apostles. I and billions of other Christians do.

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read all of Scripture and MAYBE you will understand.....;)

You choose not to follow the commandment of Jesus and the teachings of the Apostles. I and billions of other Christians do.

Guess you do not understand things have changed now in the time of GRACE!

We are now all Gentiles !!!!!!!!!

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

What difference does being Gentile make? Didn't Jesus say, ""Go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them..."

And salvation has always been of grace!

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eph.2;

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Run from whoever taught you that for they are a false teacher.....

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
Eph.2;

Eph 2:8----------faith>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>saves
1 Pet 3:21------baptism>>>>>>>>>>>>>saves

Since there is just one way to be saved, no alternatives, then a NT faith INCLUDES baptism.

"Not of works" of Ephesians 2:9 refers to works of merit one might do to earn salvation by which he could boast. Yet baptism is not a work of merit but is instead obedience to the will of God.

Ephesians 5:26 "That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word," The phrase "washing of water" (Greek - loutron) refers to a laver of water as a baptistry. Those Ephesians had been born again, water baptized:

John 3:5-------------Spirit+++++++++++water>>>>>>>in the kingdom
1 Cor 12:13---------Spirit++++++++++baptized>>>>>>in the body
Titus 3:5----------Holy Ghost++++++laver of water>>>>saved
Eph 5:26----------the word+++++++laver of water>>>>cleansed

Last edited:

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Cor.

Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;

Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.

And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.

For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.