Baptism in Jesus' Name (poll).

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is baptism in Jesus' Name a requirement for salvation?

• Total voters

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From #4 in True Trinity.

In the Old Testament God reveals Himself as YHWH.

And He also is the great "I will be who I will be".

He reveals Himself in different capacities to Israel under the name YHWH with an adjective placed after His name.

Examples of this are YHWH-Tsidkenuh, YHWH-shalom, YHWH-rapha, and YHWH-jireh.

(The LORD our righteous banner, the LORD our peace, the LORD our healer, the LORD our provider).

When Jesus came into the world, He was given the name Jesus (YHWH our salvation).

Jesus Christ has always been our salvation, even before the incarnation.

Thus Jesus Christ is come in the flesh; because before the incarnation He was the Father, and the Father's name is Jesus Christ as He is now revealed to us.

Matthew 28:19, Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name (singular) of the Father, even of the Son, even of the Holy Ghost:

Acts 2:38, Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

There is one name to be baptized under, and that is the name of Jesus Christ:

Acts 4:10,12, Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand before you whole. This is the stone that was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

For baptism does have the power to save:

1 Peter 3:20-21, Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls, were saved by water. The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

While baptism does not put away fleshly filth, it does wash away sins:

Acts 22:16, And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Therefore baptism in Jesus' Name is the only way to salvation; after you know who the Lord is, of course: baptism in titles won't cut it.

Acts 2:39, For the (conditional) promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Therefore if you are called, you will fulfill the condition of the promise (the promise is the Holy Ghost; and the condition is to repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins).

Acts 2:38, Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the (conditional) promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Finally, if you are not called, then you were never predestinated, you will not be justified, and you will not be glorified (if you are predestinated and have not been baptized, then you will be baptized with Acts 2:38 salvation at some point in the future):

Romans 8:30, Moreover, whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

I would encourage you with the following words:

Matthew 7:7-8, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

I would also point out the following:

Matthew 7:13-14, Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Deuteronomy 4:29, But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.

Jeremiah 29:13, And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it not possible for one deaf mute in the flesh to baptize another deaf mute in the flesh in Jesus name?

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it not possible for one dead mute in the flesh to baptize another dead mute in the flesh in Jesus name?
A deaf mute would not be able to preach the gospel to another deaf mute in order that they might respond in faith.

Baptism is just getting wet if you don't have faith (Colossians 2:12).

Reactions: amadeus

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the case that a deaf mute signed the gospel to the other deaf mute, I believe that they could also communicate through sign language that their baptism is in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins; and that God would accept it.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the case that a deaf mute signed the gospel to the other deaf mute, I believe that they could also communicate through sign language that their baptism is in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins; and that God would accept it.
My point was that to be "In" the name does not require that anyone pronounce the name with their physical mouth... or sign it.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My point was that to be "In" the name does not require that anyone pronounce the name with their physical mouth... or sign it.
It must be known that the baptism is in the name of Jesus so that the person being baptized is identifying with Jesus in their baptism.

It is through baptism in Jesus' Name that a person receives revelation on what the Trinity is really all about.

Personally, I understand the distinctness of the Persons; but the reality that gets established through baptism in Jesus' Name is the understanding that God is one so that in a Trinitarian belief someone doesn't cross over into Tritheism.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It must be known that the baptism is in the name of Jesus so that the person being baptized is identifying with Jesus in their baptism.
Must be known? By whom other than God and the person who is IN his name?
It is through baptism in Jesus' Name that a person receives revelation on what the Trinity is really all about.

So you say and believe, but I have not been a Trinitarian for more than 40 years.

Personally, I understand the distinctness of the Persons; but the reality that gets established through baptism in Jesus' Name is the understanding that God is one so that in a Trinitarian belief someone doesn't cross over into Tritheism.
You call it a reality, but to me it is not even a belief that I hold. I am also not into what you call Tritheism.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Must be known? By whom other than God and the person who is IN his name?

By all those to whom the person is confessing Jesus Christ through baptism (see Matthew 10:32)

So you say and believe, but I have not been a Trinitarian for more than 40 years.

I know that, my friend. And I do not judge you for it.

I would say, however, that within the creeds on the Trinity is a statement that if anyone does not believe in the Trinity they are eternally damned. So, I would encourage you to look further into the issue and seek to believe in the doctrine as it stands through continued study of your Bible. If you can find the doctrine anywhere in the Bible, I would encourage you to believe in it. Because obviously, the councils that decided on the issue in early church history saw it in the Bible through their discussion of the issues; and also considered it to be an essential for salvation.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By all those to whom the person is confessing Jesus Christ through baptism (see Matthew 10:32)

I know that, my friend. And I do not judge you for it.
Thank you for this!
I would say, however, that within the creeds on the Trinity is a statement that if anyone does not believe in the Trinity they are eternally damned. So, I would encourage you to look further into the issue and seek to believe in the doctrine as it stands through continued study of your Bible. If you can find the doctrine anywhere in the Bible, I would encourage you to believe in it. Because obviously, the councils that decided on the issue in early church history saw it in the Bible through their discussion of the issues; and also considered it to be an essential for salvation.
Well long ago and far away I was a Catholic and along with everything else I was a Trinitarian because that was part of the package. I remember the nuns teaching us Catechism during religious release once a week using a flip chart with a picture of a three leaf clover to demonstrate. Of course they never taught us from the Bible.

As to it being required to stand on the Lord's side, I do doubt that. I have know quite a few people over the years of serving God who were not Trinitarians but who were, nevertheless, very close to God in their walk. Some of them who have finished their time in the flesh I am certain at their end of their trials heard these words or something comparable. I have also seen Trinitarians who likely also heard such words:

"... Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord." Matt 25:21

As to looking for the Trinity in scripture or in God, I have certainly done that and discussed the scriptures regarding it and studied them and talked to God about them and listened carefully to the words of others about them. These days I read and study as God leads me to do so, which sometimes delves into who or what He is, but not too often any more. There are so many other things to which He gives the priority and I am really listening to Him first. You say that the councils of men have decided thus and so, but were they different in general or specifically that men are today? As I said I do listen to men and have in the past. Sometimes God speaks through them to me and sometimes their message is mixed and sometimes it is all coming from them... their flesh that is.

Having the Holy Spirit to sift through it all is very important. Thank you for your concern!
Give God the glory!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I put option:
-Baptism is something’s follower of Christ really should do because they love Him.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of the options given.
Baptism is not required in order to be saved; but it is still required.
Do you consider that submitting to baptism will provide an assurance that might not otherwise be given?

There is an option for that.

And you can also change your vote in this poll.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Do you consider that submitting to baptism will provide an assurance that might not otherwise be given?

There is an option for that.

And you can also change your vote in this poll.

I have never thought of baptism as providing "assurance". In what way? Even if it does, that's a by-product of its true purpose.

Reactions: Nancy

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From #4 in True Trinity.

In the Old Testament God reveals Himself as YHWH.

And He also is the great "I will be who I will be".

He reveals Himself in different capacities to Israel under the name YHWH with an adjective placed after His name.

Examples of this are YHWH-Tsidkenuh, YHWH-shalom, YHWH-rapha, and YHWH-jireh.

(The LORD our righteous banner, the LORD our peace, the LORD our healer, the LORD our provider).

When Jesus came into the world, He was given the name Jesus (YHWH our salvation).

Jesus Christ has always been our salvation, even before the incarnation.

Thus Jesus Christ is come in the flesh; because before the incarnation He was the Father, and the Father's name is Jesus Christ as He is now revealed to us.

Matthew 28:19, Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name (singular) of the Father, even of the Son, even of the Holy Ghost:

Acts 2:38, Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

There is one name to be baptized under, and that is the name of Jesus Christ:

Acts 4:10,12, Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand before you whole. This is the stone that was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

For baptism does have the power to save:

1 Peter 3:20-21, Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls, were saved by water. The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

While baptism does not put away fleshly filth, it does wash away sins:

Acts 22:16, And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Therefore baptism in Jesus' Name is the only way to salvation; after you know who the Lord is, of course: baptism in titles won't cut it.

Acts 2:39, For the (conditional) promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Therefore if you are called, you will fulfill the condition of the promise (the promise is the Holy Ghost; and the condition is to repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins).

Acts 2:38, Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the (conditional) promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Finally, if you are not called, then you were never predestinated, you will not be justified, and you will not be glorified (if you are predestinated and have not been baptized, then you will be baptized with Acts 2:38 salvation at some point in the future):

Romans 8:30, Moreover, whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

I would encourage you with the following words:

Matthew 7:7-8, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

I would also point out the following:

Matthew 7:13-14, Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Deuteronomy 4:29, But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.

Jeremiah 29:13, And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Yes. Well said.

In Matthew 28:19 Jesus was telling them what to DO, not what to repeat verbatim, which the denominational church does. And by doing this they deny Jesus NAME, they substitute his NAME for a TITLE. Jesus said to baptize in the name of the father, son, holy ghost. However, ALL baptisms, where there is an actual baptism taking place, was done in the name of Jesus. The Apostles knew and understood that the name of father, son, holy ghost is JESUS (God manifest in the flesh - 1 Timothy 3:16). Jesus is the ONLY NAME given unto men whereby we must be saved (Acts 4:12).

1. Father is not a name (is the name of your father - "father"?)
2. Son is not a name (is the name of your son - "son"?)
3. Holy Ghost is not a name.

THE GREAT COMMISSION GIVEN:

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:"

Jesus is the name of the Father (John 5:43),
Jesus is the name of the Son (Matthew 1:21) and
Jesus is the name of the Holy Ghost (John 14:26).

Good post.
God Bless!

Reactions: BGR and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. Well said.

In Matthew 28:19 Jesus was telling them what to DO, not what to repeat verbatim, which the denominational church does. And by doing this they deny Jesus NAME, they substitute his NAME for a TITLE. Jesus said to baptize in the name of the father, son, holy ghost. However, ALL baptisms, where there is an actual baptism taking place, was done in the name of Jesus. The Apostles knew and understood that the name of father, son, holy ghost is JESUS (God manifest in the flesh - 1 Timothy 3:16). Jesus is the ONLY NAME given unto men whereby we must be saved (Acts 4:12).

1. Father is not a name (is the name of your father - "father"?)
2. Son is not a name (is the name of your son - "son"?)
3. Holy Ghost is not a name.

THE GREAT COMMISSION GIVEN:

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:"

Jesus is the name of the Father (John 5:43),
Jesus is the name of the Son (Matthew 1:21) and
Jesus is the name of the Holy Ghost (John 14:26).

Good post.
God Bless!
Many years ago I learned a song in the UPC and even now after more than 30 years these words from it remain with me:

"Jesus is the name of the Father,
Jesus is the name of the Son,
Jesus is the name of the Holy Ghost and all these three are one."

I searched for it on the Internet, but came up with zero hits. I guess almost no one sings it any more.
In any case, give God the glory!

Reactions: user

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many years ago I learned a song in the UPC and even now after more than 30 years these words from it remain with me:

"Jesus is the name of the Father,
Jesus is the name of the Son,
Jesus is the name of the Holy Ghost and all these three are one."

I searched for it on the Internet, but came up with zero hits. I guess almost no one sings it any more.
In any case, give God the glory!

Is this the song @6min 10sec ...