Baptism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All saved persons have been made members of the Body of Christ by One divine baptism (this is baptism into the Body of Christ by the Holy Spirit). By that ONE BAPTISM, every member of the Body of Christ is identified with Christ in His death, burial and resurrection. In light of the statement concerning the "ONE BAPTISM" in Ephesians 4:5 and the statement in I Corinthians 1:17 that "Christ sent me not to baptize but to preach the gospel", we affirm that water baptism has no place in God's spiritual program for the Body of Christ in this day of grace

Reactions: pia and Helen

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
On the day of penticost. 3000 were saved. None were baptised none.

Reactions: pia

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[Job said]
[
Who do you mean when you say "we"? Who is "we"?]

just curious...

This is from our church.
We believe we are now under Grace....... Gentiles at this time.....
There is a time past -----But Now ----- Ages to come.

Things are different in each time........

The whole Bible is for us...... But not to us.........

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[Job said]
[
Who do you mean when you say "we"? Who is "we"?]

just curious...

This is from our church.

Grams, how are you.

I believe I know you from another forum years ago. I went by the name of 'Lees'. Sorry to hear of the death of your husband. Not to worry, we will be there soon enough.

Stranger

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is from our church.

Thanks.

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
and our church we all believe......

Sorry Stranger, my memory is starting to go I can not remember your post's....

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Christ sent me not to baptize but to preach the gospel", we affirm that water baptism has no place in God's spiritual program for the Body of Christ in this day of grace

Being baptized into Christ (meaning being immersed in him and his word, or even plainer stated: "truth") is the baptism which is needed.

But there is nothing wrong with water baptism. Not necessary but not wrong.

Reactions: pia and Job

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe if an individual has the opportunity, they should get baptized. I don't believe you'll burn to a crisp if you don't, but Jesus did say this:

Matthew 28
19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

I don't believe people have to be baptized, but I believe they should.

Reactions: liafailrock

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
and our church we all believe......

Sorry Stranger, my memory is starting to go I can not remember your post's....

No problem. Plesure speaking with you.

Stranger

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Being baptized into Christ (meaning being immersed in him and his word, or even plainer stated: "truth") is the baptism which is needed.

But there is nothing wrong with water baptism. Not necessary but not wrong

Yes indeed totally agree. As we know, some are 'hard and fast' on it...as Job above mentioned ..people don't 'have' to be baptized..but if God speaks to the heart..then for sure we should.
Years ago when we became Christians our Pastor was 'hard and fast' on it, we we all did.
I am not hard and fast...but will always mention it to new Christians as an invitation.
I liked what I heard...that it is a mile stone of our walk..and a place we can point to , when the Devil comes sniffing around trying to tell us that we are not 'really' saved.
Then we can say to the Devil. "No chance, I was buried with Him in baptism- "Buried with Him in baptism, wherein also we are risen with Him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised Him from the dead."
Personally , praise God, I have never had my salvation challenged in that way...but I have a good Christian friend, even a preacher, who is solid for months on end, then suddenly blown sideways again, or no reason...except by listening to the lies of the devil saying- " Not good enough..you can never measure up..you aren't really saved." It always blows my mind that a solid Christian can fall for that...but obviously some do.
Legalists will always say the baptism is a requirement.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe if an individual has the opportunity, they should get baptized. I don't believe you'll burn to a crisp if you don't, but Jesus did say this:

Matthew 28
19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

I agree with you here. But this is such a simple command, why not get baptized? So, like you said, one should. I have to wonder the person's motivation when Jesus said to be baptized and the early church did it. OK-- we can make an exception if one is fearful of the water and don't like the idea of being dunked. LOL

I also want to bring up to all here as to who is allowed to baptize, does the bible really say? Yes. Any professing believer should have that authority unless we don't take Matthew 28 to heart. Listen... if we are to go into all the world and preach the gospel, then why is it anyone who does that does not have the authority to baptize? Of course they do because Jesus commanded it. So... make it easy. Do you (all) have a pool or friend that has one? Then get a fellow Christian to dunk you with a few witnesses (they don't even have to be Christian as you are confessing your faith in Christ). And if you can't even come up with the witnesses, then take a video and post it on FB or to that effect then there are plenty of witnesses to your faith. So, that's pretty easy to me. Now is there any reason not to be baptized (if you go into a pool every summer lol)?? (I was baptized in a nearby river by the pastor of my church and a few of his helpers with a small group wanting baptism but he rarely holds them as the church officially teaches infant baptism which I disagree with. So I was fortunate for the opportunity, but the pool idea was my next option)

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with you here. But this is such a simple command, why not get baptized? So, like you said, one should. I have to wonder the person's motivation when Jesus said to be baptized and the early church did it. OK-- we can make an exception if one is fearful of the water and don't like the idea of being dunked. LOL

I also want to bring up to all here as to who is allowed to baptize, does the bible really say? Yes. Any professing believer should have that authority unless we don't take Matthew 28 to heart. Listen... if we are to go into all the world and preach the gospel, then why is it anyone who does that does not have the authority to baptize? Of course they do because Jesus commanded it. So... make it easy. Do you (all) have a pool or friend that has one? Then get a fellow Christian to dunk you with a few witnesses (they don't even have to be Christian as you are confessing your faith in Christ). And if you can't even come up with the witnesses, then take a video and post it on FB or to that effect then there are plenty of witnesses to your faith. So, that's pretty easy to me. Now is there any reason not to be baptized (if you go into a pool every summer lol)?? (I was baptized in a nearby river by the pastor of my church and a few of his helpers with a small group wanting baptism but he rarely holds them as the church officially teaches infant baptism which I disagree with. So I was fortunate for the opportunity, but the pool idea was my next option)

the authority that's important and worthy of any thought is that any true believer can bring someone to be born of the Holy Spirit to Christ Jesus to be baptized in the same Spirit by the Christ. that's the authority and wisdom of the Cross, that can't be superseded by anyone.

you want to jump in the water or be sprinkled with water to profess the faith of being baptized by Christ, in the presence of the faithful, go for it, there is no shame in that.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
All saved persons have been made members of the Body of Christ by One divine baptism (this is baptism into the Body of Christ by the Holy Spirit). By that ONE BAPTISM, every member of the Body of Christ is identified with Christ in His death, burial and resurrection. In light of the statement concerning the "ONE BAPTISM" in Ephesians 4:5 and the statement in I Corinthians 1:17 that "Christ sent me not to baptize but to preach the gospel", we affirm that water baptism has no place in God's spiritual program for the Body of Christ in this day of grace

That ONE baptism is baptism with water. It is when we are renewed (Ti 3:5) and become children of God.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Matthew 28

Jesus also said "He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned." (Mk 16:16)

he didn't say what happens to those who believe and don't get baptised. But a refusal to be baptised when presented with the need for it is disobedience and disbelief.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
On the day of penticost. 3000 were saved. None were baptised none.
41So those who accepted his message were baptized, and that day about 3,000 people were added to them.

so i'm reading that they were baptized, not sure how you are getting to "they were saved" myself. They were "added to them," which is not the same thing imo.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
41So those who accepted his message were baptized, and that day about 3,000 people were added to them.

so i'm reading that they were baptized, not sure how you are getting to "they were saved" myself. They were "added to them," which is not the same thing imo.
Acts 2
37 Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brethren, what shall we do?"
38 And Peter said to them, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
39 For the promise is to you and to your children and to all that are far off, every one whom the Lord our God calls to him."
40 And he testified with many other words and exhorted them, saying, "Save yourselves from this crooked generation."
41 So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls.

Peter tells them that if they get baptised their sins will be forgiven (vs 38); they will receive the Holy Spirit (vs 39); they will be saved from this crooked generation (vs 40).

They were added to the Church.

That's salvation.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2
37 Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brethren, what shall we do?"
38 And Peter said to them, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
39 For the promise is to you and to your children and to all that are far off, every one whom the Lord our God calls to him."
40 And he testified with many other words and exhorted them, saying, "Save yourselves from this crooked generation."
41 So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls.

Peter tells them that if they get baptised their sins will be forgiven (vs 38); they will receive the Holy Spirit (vs 39); they will be saved from this crooked generation (vs 40).

They were added to the Church.

That's salvation.

yes but back then when John the Baptist and those before him were baptizing did they claim salvation? also before Christ what was the baptism in water for? or mean? just what was being baptized in water all about before the Catholic Church decided to put its two cents in?

Reactions: Truth and Helen