Baptisms invalidated -- oh my!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thousands Of Baptisms Invalidated After Priest Accidentally Used The Wrong Word | HuffPost Latest News

Can you possibly imagine the harm done by the priest using a single wrong word in the ritual? Seriously, many thousands of baptisms may be invalid because the guy used an incorrect pronoun!

Here is an excerpt: "That difference has invalidated thousands of baptisms performed by an Arizona priest who, since 1995, has accidentally used the phrase “we baptize you” instead of “I baptize you” while performing the Catholic ritual."

If you get the connection to Dorothy's "lions, tigers, and bears -- oh my! " in the OP, give yourself extra credit!

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thousands Of Baptisms Invalidated After Priest Accidentally Used The Wrong Word | HuffPost Latest News

Can you possibly imagine the harm done by the priest using a single wrong word in the ritual? Seriously, many thousands of baptisms may be invalid because the guy used an incorrect pronoun!

Here is an excerpt: "That difference has invalidated thousands of baptisms performed by an Arizona priest who, since 1995, has accidentally used the phrase “we baptize you” instead of “I baptize you” while performing the Catholic ritual."

If you get the connection to Dorothy's "lions, tigers, and bears -- oh my! " in the OP, give yourself extra credit!
Now those who want to be can be baptised properly.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now those who want to be can be baptised properly.

If you consider the wrong pronoun to completely invalidate the ritual. I doubt that thousands of people will want to be re-baptized because of a single pronoun in the ritual. IMHO it's absurd.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If you consider the wrong pronoun to completely invalidate the ritual. I doubt that thousands of people will want to be re-baptized because of a single pronoun in the ritual. IMHO it's absurd.
Well if the Catholic church has invalidated the baptisms done using the wrong pronoun then anybody who wants to be baptised properly now has the chance to do it without offending the church.

Abigail

Jan 29, 2022
Brookside
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I can imagine the harm done that baptized people would think they weren't baptized because a priest used the wrong pronoun.
And how is it the wrong pronoun when the priest is part of the body of the holy Roman church? "We" I would think would be perfectly fine.

Reactions: dev553344 and Jim B

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
op: baptisms invalidated?
May be a Very Good Thing, IF people Would start trying to find
BIBLICAL Truth...

...INSTEAD of religious dogma. How's that? God, In HIS Word
of Truth, Only Has ONE Baptism, Today, Under HIS GRACE!:

Repeat: ONE Baptism!

Thus, this "invalidation" theory is a moot point, Correct?

GRACE And Peace...

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
op: baptisms invalidated?
May be a Very Good Thing, IF people Would start trying to find
BIBLICAL Truth...

...INSTEAD of religious dogma. How's that? God, In HIS Word
of Truth, Only Has ONE Baptism, Today, Under HIS GRACE!:

Repeat: ONE Baptism!

Thus, this "invalidation" theory is a moot point, Correct?

GRACE And Peace...

If the Catholic church tells those whose baptisms are invalid because of the use of the wrong pronoun it is not theoretical to them. Can you imagine being baptized by the Catholic church many years ago, being a "good practicing" Catholic -- following all their extra-Biblical rules, going to church weekly, receiving Holy Communion, having your sins forgiven by confessing them to the priest, etc., etc. etc. -- then told it's all a mistake? Personally I think it's ridiculous and beyond cruel.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the Catholic church tells those whose baptisms are invalid because of the use of the wrong pronoun it is not theoretical to them. Can you imagine being baptized by the Catholic church many years ago, being a "good practicing" Catholic -- following all their extra-Biblical rules, going to church weekly, receiving Holy Communion, having your sins forgiven by confessing them to the priest, etc., etc. etc. -- then told it's all a mistake? Personally I think it's ridiculous and beyond cruel.
Exactly what "I lived through!" But, When I Met The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And
understood What HE Did for me, and that I was forgiven, then I forgave all
those that said "church DAILY" + "lied to/abused" me.

Changed my life to "run The GRACE race!" Amen?