Baptists!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
We have a thriving Baptist community in my small hometown but they are more along the lines of evangelical and move in the gifts of the Holy Spirit, particularly healings with a strong emphasis on Baptism of course.

I am sure they are not the same as other Baptist churches in the USA. What are the differences?

1. What is the difference between Baptist believers and AnaBaptist?
2. Between Baptist believers and Independent Reformed Baptists?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The division of Christians into their various groups and subgroups knows no end. I see it it as having lost focus while blurred peripheral vision gets the attention.
In the process Jesus is lost sight of. Sure his name is mentioned but the passion becomes the doctrines, the prayers and various other formalities.

Why do I say Jesus has been lost sight of?.....because I see the way Christians respond with one another in different settings......how they hunker into their divisional groups, often making them sacrosanct and seeing one who has a different perspective as one who needs to be won over to their point of view at best and an enemy at worst.
Even when prompted to share the wonder of the resurrection and its implications there is little to say or it is reduced to the facts......a bit like conveying ones marital status with or without children....just facts.
This surprises me....although not unexpected.

The resurrection blew the disciples away. It changed everything in the way they saw......it changed everything in the way they spoke and wrote. I doubt their focus and ongoing witness was one which they had previously held.....ie, them and us. They now saw all humanity as embraced by a loving God where distinctions were vaporised......no male, no female, no Jew, no Gentile, no black, no white...and I could go on....but all seen as in Adam and conversely and simultaneously as in Christ. This is truly Good News.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
We have a thriving Baptist community in my small hometown but they are more along the lines of evangelical and move in the gifts of the Holy Spirit, particularly healings with a strong emphasis on Baptism of course.

I am sure they are not the same as other Baptist churches in the USA. What are the differences?

@Angelina There are huge numbers of baptist congregations and varieties and groups.

Some are dispensational; others are Reformed. Some are strongly independent; others significantly federated. It might take a while to absorb the nuances of any given local baptist congregation; after all, if Scripture is one's ultimate guide, then it is the long term, collective journey of prayerful understanding that will prevail within a congregation rather than any superficial, one-size-fits-all type of label.

(Also I suspect that otherwise seemingly similar baptist congregations that seem to follow familiar labels can between one country and another turn out to be rather different.........)

Reactions: ScottA and Angelina

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Both groups believe that only those who are believers should be baptized. But Anabaptists stress pacifism and also encourage living together in colonies. There are also Seventh Day Baptists who practice the 7th day Sabbath.
There are several Baptist denominational groups. But there are also independent Baptists who are not part of any denomination. Reformed Baptists hold to Calvinism but Fundamental Baptists do not. The common denominator is that all Baptists reject infant baptism and hold to believer's Baptism.

Something to keep in mind is that many Baptist churches have diluted their teachings, and some are even ordaining women as pastors. I am not sure if any have gone so far as to ordain homosexuals, but that could be next. So there is a whole spectrum of Baptists from liberals to fundamentalists. Few would be Charismatic.

Reactions: Angelina

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I was raised in an Independent Fundamental Baptist Church, and I still attend an IFBC where I live now.

You're going to find an assortment of Baptists, the closest you will find to the old time original Baptists are the Independents. Even they have different ways.

When I moved from Wilmington, NC to near Charlotte, NC, I searched for a Church that preached and taught the Gospel according to the Apostles, "Jesus Christ crucified for the sins of the world." I wasn't searching for a particular denomination. But I knew if this is not the foundation the Church stood for, it wasn't for me.

It so happened I found that Church and it was an IFBC. I don't go for the feel good Church's, where you never get your toes stepped on, where the preacher never breaks out in tears while preaching, "Christ was crucified for you" on a Sunday morning.

Man is saved by the hearing of the Gospel, that message is what brings change and life to man. I will not attend a Church whose message is without this power that saves man.

These Church's are becoming harder to find! I can report to you that these Church's are still found among the IFB ranks.

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Interesting topic/post..
- about 'Baptists' in NZ.
---
There are many 'Baptist' camps/denominations..in US.
----
I was in NZ..years ago.
- Short trip.
* I did not know.. about the 'Baptist history' in NZ..during the trip.
It seems..'Baptists' started..during the 19th century

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It seems..'Baptists' started..during the 19th century
That is incorrect. Baptistic churches existed long before the Reformation, though they may not have gone by that label. And the Reformers were at war with the Anabaptists and persecuted them.

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is incorrect. Baptistic churches existed long before the Reformation, though they may not have gone by that label. And the Reformers were at war with the Anabaptists and persecuted them.
'Baptists in NZ'!
Research/read online article..about Baptist history in NZ.
----
I studied..for many years.
- Reformation history..
- & Anabaptist.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Doesn't President Jimmy Carter also go to a baptist church of some sort?

In Canada Prime Minister Alexander Mackenzie went to a baptist church. (This was a long time ago; not sure what 'sort' of baptist it was....maybe in those days there were as many 'sorts' of baptist churches...')

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
'Baptists in NZ'!
That is not exactly what you wrote earlier. Anyhow, now that NZ has a Marxist prime minister who hates free speech and wants to shut it down, chances are the Baptist churches will be shut down and the Baptists will be sent to a NZ gulag.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Doesn't President Jimmy Carter also go to a baptist church of some sort?
True. But that did not really mean anything since he was a political and social liberal. He left the Southern Baptists because of their "rigid" biblical position regarding the role of women.

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is not exactly what you wrote earlier. Anyhow, now that NZ has a Marxist prime minister who hates free speech and wants to shut it down, chances are the Baptist churches will be shut down and the Baptists will be sent to a NZ gulag.
I did edit..before I read your post (#7).
---
My post (#6 )was about NZ.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
True. But that did not really mean anything since he was a political and social liberal. He left the Southern Baptists because of their "rigid" biblical position regarding the role of women.
I think also there was the issue that traditionally baptists - following Scripture - have not delegated decisions to a central, controlling committee or standing conference, but rather it has been the local church - exercised in the Scriptures (however imperfectly at times) - that has been regarded as the responsible level for decision making.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Our politics are majorly different to your countries. We do not have republicans and we do not have your historical background. Our political processes are predominently liberal whether we get a Labour or National Govt. They are mostly center left or center right in their approach. The Church, least likely to be shut down if there were going to be that kind of closing of the churches, is the Baptist. The most likely would be the independent Pentecostal movements ie: (Destiny Church) who were opposed to mask wearing and headed the anti-lock downs protests.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I used to be a member of the Independent Fundemental Baptist forum but found that they would complain about the smallest things ie: my avatar [not a pic of me personally] showed arms exposed and it had pants on with a sword. I had to change it cos the older folk there did not approve of women wearing pants or not covering ones arms. Still, they were nice people.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I used to be a member of the Independent Fundemental Baptist forum but found that they would complain about the smallest things ie: my avatar [not a pic of me personally] showed arms exposed and it had pants on with a sword. I had to change it cos the older folk there did not approve of women wearing pants or not covering ones arms. Still, they were nice people.
'As pants the hart for the water brooks...' (Psalm 42.1)

Fanaticism can arise anywhere if we are not vigilant.....

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

LOL, the Scripture says that God called a peculiar people, now you know it's the fundamentalists!

I was the same way, and maybe still have some of it, but that's the way it is with them/us.

Women can wear no pants, the deacons can have no facial hair, I know, most will say this is overboard, and I agree to a point.

It's fundamentalism, total separation from the ways of the world. But I understand if you can't go that far.

We have always been the talk of the town and used to it.

I have to say that I'm not that strict with my kids, I let them wear shorts but conservatively.

But your post is as usual, hear it all the time, LOL!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I use this avatar on other forums but the IFB did not like it much....

400930517-246762_202813633093016_100000931420616_519042_2191793_n.jpg