"Basic Textual Criticism" -Netchaplain

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why should Christians have knowledge of basic textual criticism? Let the definition speak for itself:
Textual criticism (or lower criticism) is a branch of literary criticism that is concerned with the identification and removal of transcription errors in the texts of manuscripts.

Errors in manuscript copies? Yes and most are in the Greek New Testament in the catagory of textual omissions. This is the taking away of any apostolic authority which inhabits the original autographs of the scriptural writers, of which there are none in exsistance because only copies of them are extant. It has been well said that a bible translatiion isn't perfect but the word of God within it is. That is, if it's plenary or complete and it's not common enough knowledge yet amoung Christians that much Scripture has been omitted in most modern translations of the New Testament.

An example in the Old Testament is in 2 Sam 21:19 which reads, "In another battle with the Philistines at Gob, Elhanan son of Jaare-Oregim the Bethlehemite killed Goliath the Gittite . . . ." Elhanan killed Goliath? Wrong, David killed Goliath! The problem here is that the Hebrew scribes mistakenly omitted the phrase, "the brother of". The translators are suppose to include it because they have it correct in the re-account of 1 Chron 20:5. This is conclusive evidence of a direct contradiction in its reading.

If that flag isn't red enough, you will find a multitude of them in the omissiion catagory in the Greek, which is the New Testament, because the copiers didn't count every letter to ensure its entirety, as they did in the Hebrew of the Old Tesament. To avoid of being accused of adding to the text, some translators utilized italics to indicate that the words weren't in enough of the manuscript copies to authorize its validity and that's why the phrase, "the brother of" is italicised in some translations.

The most frquent problem in the Greek text of the N.T. is omissions, which are scriptural texts that should be included in a translation. To avoid being too lengthy, as it may already be, I leave with two significant N.T. examples. Eph 3:9 should read that God created all things by Jesus Christ but the phrase, "by Jesus Christ" is omitted. 1 Pet 1:22 shows that obeying the truth is done only "through the Spirit" but this phrase is omitted.

Anyone who desires to know more concerning how scriptural errors devloped can just let me know.

Example: All translations are produced from two primary manuscript sources: Majority Text (contains most of all extant copies) and the Minority Text (material which disagrees which the Majority of existing copies).

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The most frquent problem in the Greek text of the N.T. is omissions, which are scriptural texts that should be included in a translation.

This is an over generalization. You're assuming that which is a point of contention among textual critics. It's simply not a foregone conclusion by all that those "omissions" are actually omissions. Some may be "additions" that crept into later manuscripts. That's always a possibility and must be considered.

Example: All translations are produced from two primary manuscript sources: Majority Text (contains most of all extant copies) and the Minority Text (material which disagrees which the Majority of existing copies).

This simply isn't the case. The KJV & NKJV, for example, are based primarily on editions of the TR compiled by Erasmus, Stephanus, and Beza. There were variants among these editions of the TR and the KJV translators made choices between them as to which readings to use. The TR itself contains some unique readings that are not found in the majority of Byzantine manuscripts. Most modern translations utilize an eclectic text which draws on many text types. It's simply not true that all translations are produced from "majority" and "minority" sources.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi and God bless you Nomad. Thanks for your opinion and it is duely noted. Part of the reason for this post is to get others reaction to the 2 Sam 21:19 and 1 Chro 20:5 contradiction. I was quite startled the first time I discovered it.

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi and God bless you Nomad. Thanks for your opinion and it is duely noted. Part of the reason for this post is to get others reaction to the 2 Sam 21:19 and 1 Chro 20:5 contradiction. I was quite startled the first time I discovered it.

My "opinion" is duly noted? How passive-aggressive of you Mr. Net Chaplain. No, I'm afraid you misunderstand. I haven't given you my opinion. I've given you the facts of the matter, which I can back up with documentation should you so desire to be contentious. You said that part of the reason for your post is to get others' reaction to the 2 Sam 21:19 and 1 Chro 20:5 contradiction. Was the other part to inflict misinformation on the members of this board?

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nomad, my intention isn't to offend by asking for opinions. Sorry you felt that way but I realy do not understand why you felt it's not right to ask for opinions from your brothers and sisters in Christ concerning things which we believe are important to us.

Wish you His best.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Insight, I'm glad I misunderstood you concerning opinions and apologize.