Be Alert

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
245948926_5184396041577757_7536233918597303510_n.jpg

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol. Been there, done that.

Let's really spice up this thread and start sharing what those moments have been for each of us, lol.

I'll start:

"You must be sure to set aside a tenth of all the produce brought forth each year from your fields. 23And you are to eat a tenth of your grain, new wine, and oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks, in the presence of the LORD your God" Deuteronomy 14:22-23
You mean I was supposed to be eating my own tithe all this time?
How did the church get this so wrong!!!!????

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's really spice up this thread and start sharing what those moments have been for each of us, lol.

Ah yes, the bountiful help we have all received in misunderstanding the scriptures. And the worst part is sometimes you don't wanna say anything to sound too critical, so you just let someone "counsel" you on what the word says. Reminds me of Naomi's avatar about more cheese = less cheese.

zEg60pxR.jpg

Not even sure I wanna go back through all the junk I've realized was off. But the one that comes to mind off hand was one I was discussing with a sister last week. The good ol' "casting down imaginations" verse:

"Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." (2nd Corinthians 10:5).

Passed around left and right as if we are to bring our own unwieldy thoughts under control; those rascally beasts. Amazing how the better part of Christendom doesn't know the verse is actually talking about refuting heretical and false teachings, as the context explains rather clearly if you don't just read the individual verse but the entire passage in which it is found:

1 Now I, Paul, myself am pleading with you by the meekness and gentleness of Christ—who in presence am lowly among you, but being absent am bold toward you. 2 But I beg you that when I am present I may not be bold with that confidence by which I intend to be bold against some, who think of us as if we walked according to the flesh. 3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, 6 and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.

The bountiful wisdom we are offered everyday. Makes one feel like a genius.

Funny-Cat-Outfits12.jpg

Last edited:

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its a good thread! But there are some things I am wary of.... First off is there is an urge for people to define or explain away ehat the Bible says. Second, the Bible may clarify itself in other places. Even amend itself. You pretty much have to read the whole thing!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah yes, the bountiful help we have all received in misunderstanding the scriptures. And the worst part is sometimes you don't wanna say anything to sound too critical, so you just let someone "counsel" you on what the word says. Reminds me of Naomi's avatar about more cheese = less cheese.

zEg60pxR.jpg

Not even sure I wanna go back through all the junk I've realized was off. But the one that comes to mind off hand was one I was discussing with a sister last week. The good ol' "casting down imaginations" verse:

"Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." (2nd Corinthians 10:5).

Passed around left and right as if we are to bring our own unwieldy thoughts under control; those rascally beasts. Amazing how the better part of Christendom doesn't know the verse is actually talking about refuting heretical and false teachings, as the context explains rather clearly if you don't just read the individual verse but the entire passage in which it is found:

1 Now I, Paul, myself am pleading with you by the meekness and gentleness of Christ—who in presence am lowly among you, but being absent am bold toward you. 2 But I beg you that when I am present I may not be bold with that confidence by which I intend to be bold against some, who think of us as if we walked according to the flesh. 3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, 6 and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.

The bountiful wisdom we are offered everyday. Makes one feel like a genius.

Funny-Cat-Outfits12.jpg
The EYES on that one kitty says it all . that looks like me when i hear pope francis or the kennys and the bennys .

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I had to unlearn everything and start again from scratch.....allowing the Bible to speak for itself...which it does, if you let it. The truth has had thousands of years for corruption to rob us of it.
Religion has done so much damage to the truth about the very nature of God and his relationship with his precious son.....and purpose of the kingdom that Jesus taught us to pray for. These fundamental truths are the first to establish....the rest is about details that spring from these.

There is the truth about death and what happens after it.
There is the truth about why Jesus came in human form and why he needed to die to save us.
There is the truth about God’s punishment of the wicked....and so many other things that most people accept without question, when they should question everything.

The Bible is one story and it carries through from Genesis to Revelation. We should allow it to tell it’s own story.

Reactions: charity

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is the truth about God’s punishment of the wicked....and so many other things that most people accept without question, when they should question everything.

Oh, boy. And with that the thread potentially becomes an argument...

Pearl, so as to avoid a coming train wreck, maybe you should focus on which verses inspired YOU to post this thread. Left to its own devices, this thing is about to become a total war zone inside two pages.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Oh, boy. And with that the thread potentially becomes an argument...

Pearl, so as to avoid a coming train wreck, maybe you should focus on which verses inspired YOU to post this thread. Left to its own devices, this thing is about to become a total war zone inside two pages.
No one has anything to fear from the truth.....it doesn’t need to be a war when mature people discuss their beliefs. All are entitled to believe as they wish.....what are you afraid of?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one has anything to fear from the truth.....it doesn’t need to be a war when mature people discuss their beliefs. All are entitled to believe as they wish.....what are you afraid of?

Beating you to a pulp theologically again for about three pages long, Lol. Unlike some I know (not referring to you but others), I take religious discussions very seriously. I'm not here to socialize (though I do try to be as light-hearted as possible). But your religion teaches a ton of heresy, and I would have to again dismantle the things you teach. That's not something I enjoy; it's something I do because it's a responsibility, though if someone angers me I may start to enjoy it and engage in it longer than necessary.

It's just a fun thread so far. Let's put off the inevitable as long as we can, Lol.

Your friend,
- H

Reactions: Cooper and Nancy

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible gets better and better, yes. What on earth did you think I meant? Lol.

I meant the worse it gets when it comes to realizing how many false teachings we've been given, and continue to be.
Alright... Cool. I had a feeling we weren't on the same page.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Beating you to a pulp theologically again for about three pages long, Lol. Unlike some I know (not referring to you but others), I take religious discussions very seriously. I'm not here to socialize (though I do try to be as light-hearted as possible). But your religion teaches a ton of heresy, and I would have to again dismantle the things you teach. That's not something I enjoy; it's something I do because it's a responsibility, though if someone angers me I may start to enjoy it and engage in it longer than necessary.
You could not dismantle anything scripturally because all you have is your favoured interpretation...and I have mine. The only one who will distinguish between them is the judge of all...Jesus Christ.

Going by Matthew 7:21-23, that judgment is going to come as somewhat of a shock to those who were so sure that they were practicing the true Christian Faith.....they will receive his utter rejection.

No one wants to be on the receiving end of that, now do they? 1 Corinthians 10:12 comes to mind....

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The kennys and the bennys... are they members of this forum by any chance?

belarus-cat-with-crossed-eyes17.jpg
Kenneth copeland , Benny Hinn . Those two . And they are far from alone , a number so high neither you nor i could
count it . Its got bad my friend . BUT the TRUE LAMBS HAVE JESUS . HE IS OUR HOPE . SO let the KING be praised .