Beatitudes: Steps To Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A massive crowd had gathered by the sea of Galilee. They sat down on the Mount of Olives with great expectancy for words they'd waited so long to hear. It appeared to them that a Deliverer had arisen from their midst, One to Whom the prophecies pointed, One by Whom they would finally be restored to national greatness.

The Jews hated the Romans. They longed to be freed from the yoke of Roman oppression, longed to be delivered from their suffering, longed to regain their former glory as God's chosen nation. At His word, they would have surely gathered themselves together for battle and marched across long distances to fight their enemies, fully confident their foes would be delivered into their hands as God had done so often before in the past. It seemed their time had finally come.

O, how Jesus disappointed them.

When Jesus began to speak, He indeed spoke of a journey – but not one of glorious military conquest – but of humble steps on a different path, the path of salvation.

“Blessed...”
The Greek “makarios” is the strongest Greek word which refers to the exceeding blessing of a new wife or birth of a child. Jesus' words were indeed by which “all the families of the Earth would be blessed”.

Blessed are the poor in Spirit...”
The Greek “ptochos” is the strongest Greek word which refers to abject poverty, absolutely nothing, total spiritual bankruptcy. What a blessing to recognize we have nothing to bring to God's bargaining table except a lost soul because only then is salvation possible.

“Blessed are they that mourn...”
The Greek “pentheo” is the strongest Greek word which refers to the kind of terrible mourning a mother would experience over the loss of her little child, abject grief and pain. We cease to proudly revel in our sin, and instead mourn that it caused the death of Jesus.

“Blessed are the meek...”
The Greek “praus” is the strongest Greek word which doesn't refer to “weakness” but “humility”; “strength under control”. As we gaze upon Him Who “humbled Himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the Cross”, we humble ourselves in acknowledgment of our great need for Him. We ask Him to save us and by faith remember the promise, “him that cometh to Me, I will in no wise cast out”.

“Blessed are they which do hunger and
thirst after righteousness...”
The Greek “peinao” and “dipsao” are the strongest Greek words which refer to abject hunger and thirst like one would feel after having nothing to eat or drink for several days. As born again believers, we have a strong desire to be sanctified by God; to be changed from our vile character to Jesus' character.

“Blessed are the merciful...”
The Greek word “eleemon” refers to mercy without reservation. We cease from indignation and wrath against those who do us wrong; we pity others and desire to help them find the peace and eternal life that is now ours.

“Blessed are the pure...”
The Greek word “katharos” refers to a purity that is totally pure, without the slightest trace of corruption. We seek to “walk as Jesus walked” in obedience to His commandments. We want not only Pardon for sin, but Power to obey God as both our Savior and our Lord.

“Blessed are the Peacemakers...”
The Greek word “eirenopois” is an obscure Greek word found only in the Greek NT. Thus, we should expect that it is to have a purely religious connotation. It refers to “one who has made peace with God”; one who has found heavenly peace and strives to help others find the same.

When global conflicts end and politicians gather to congratulate themselves, they invariably quote from the Beatitudes, “Blessed are the peacemakers” – but have they turned their steps toward Christ and become Biblical peacemakers?

“Blessed are they which are persecuted...”
The Greek word “dioko” means “to pursue”; “to follow after”. Once we surrender our hearts to Christ, can we expect our lives will be free from trials from then on? No.

If we turn our steps toward Christ
and in our poverty stricken spiritual state
mourn over the fact our sins caused the death of Jesus,
and in humility seek His forgiveness,
and desire to be changed,
and extend mercy where there was once only hardness,
and go forth in purity of thoughts, words, actions,
enjoying the peace of God in our hearts...

...the world will persecute you...Satan will be after you. But, “Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.”

WalkInLight

Jul 30, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
A massive crowd had gathered by the sea of Galilee. They sat down on the Mount of Olives with great expectancy for words they'd waited so long to hear. It appeared to them that a Deliverer had arisen from their midst, One to Whom the prophecies pointed, One by Whom they would finally be restored to national greatness.

The Jews hated the Romans. They longed to be freed from the yoke of Roman oppression, longed to be delivered from their suffering, longed to regain their former glory as God's chosen nation. At His word, they would have surely gathered themselves together for battle and marched across long distances to fight their enemies, fully confident their foes would be delivered into their hands as God had done so often before in the past. It seemed their time had finally come.

O, how Jesus disappointed them.

When Jesus began to speak, He indeed spoke of a journey – but not one of glorious military conquest – but of humble steps on a different path, the path of salvation.

“Blessed...”
The Greek “makarios” is the strongest Greek word which refers to the exceeding blessing of a new wife or birth of a child. Jesus' words were indeed by which “all the families of the Earth would be blessed”.

Blessed are the poor in Spirit...”
The Greek “ptochos” is the strongest Greek word which refers to abject poverty, absolutely nothing, total spiritual bankruptcy. What a blessing to recognize we have nothing to bring to God's bargaining table except a lost soul because only then is salvation possible.

“Blessed are they that mourn...”
The Greek “pentheo” is the strongest Greek word which refers to the kind of terrible mourning a mother would experience over the loss of her little child, abject grief and pain. We cease to proudly revel in our sin, and instead mourn that it caused the death of Jesus.

“Blessed are the meek...”
The Greek “praus” is the strongest Greek word which doesn't refer to “weakness” but “humility”; “strength under control”. As we gaze upon Him Who “humbled Himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the Cross”, we humble ourselves in acknowledgment of our great need for Him. We ask Him to save us and by faith remember the promise, “him that cometh to Me, I will in no wise cast out”.

“Blessed are they which do hunger and
thirst after righteousness...”
The Greek “peinao” and “dipsao” are the strongest Greek words which refer to abject hunger and thirst like one would feel after having nothing to eat or drink for several days. As born again believers, we have a strong desire to be sanctified by God; to be changed from our vile character to Jesus' character.

“Blessed are the merciful...”
The Greek word “eleemon” refers to mercy without reservation. We cease from indignation and wrath against those who do us wrong; we pity others and desire to help them find the peace and eternal life that is now ours.

“Blessed are the pure...”
The Greek word “katharos” refers to a purity that is totally pure, without the slightest trace of corruption. We seek to “walk as Jesus walked” in obedience to His commandments. We want not only Pardon for sin, but Power to obey God as both our Savior and our Lord.

“Blessed are the Peacemakers...”
The Greek word “eirenopois” is an obscure Greek word found only in the Greek NT. Thus, we should expect that it is to have a purely religious connotation. It refers to “one who has made peace with God”; one who has found heavenly peace and strives to help others find the same.

When global conflicts end and politicians gather to congratulate themselves, they invariably quote from the Beatitudes, “Blessed are the peacemakers” – but have they turned their steps toward Christ and become Biblical peacemakers?

“Blessed are they which are persecuted...”
The Greek word “dioko” means “to pursue”; “to follow after”. Once we surrender our hearts to Christ, can we expect our lives will be free from trials from then on? No.

If we turn our steps toward Christ
and in our poverty stricken spiritual state
mourn over the fact our sins caused the death of Jesus,
and in humility seek His forgiveness,
and desire to be changed,
and extend mercy where there was once only hardness,
and go forth in purity of thoughts, words, actions,
enjoying the peace of God in our hearts...

...the world will persecute you...Satan will be after you. But, “Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.”

It does not occur to many Jesus is not just saying these people over there like this with one of these features are blessed,
but He is describing Himself and His approach to life. I used to feel it was something alien to my emotional life, but
now I understand the way of heaven is empathy with people lost and blind in sin, and we all need these attributes towards
us and in us towards others.

Some say Jesus is based on facts and emotions follow the facts. But these blessed attributes are 100% emotional and
empathetic towards peoples plight and difficulties. One cannot just put on these attitudes without the context of knowing
people and their struggles.

The world is about escapism and getting away from the inevitable suffering and unanswered dilemmas, where as Christ
is the answer and He carries our load, and we can walk with Him through the pain and suffering and know in the end
it will resolve.

It is ironic that some say Jesus is the perfect example so we know we need Him and can never aspire to righteousness
whereas Jesus blesses those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, they will be filled is a promise that this will be found.
But without the hunger and thirst what holds back will not be left behind.

God bless you

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It does not occur to many Jesus is not just saying these people over there like this with one of these features are blessed,
but He is describing Himself and His approach to life. I used to feel it was something alien to my emotional life, but
now I understand the way of heaven is empathy with people lost and blind in sin, and we all need these attributes towards
us and in us towards others.

Some say Jesus is based on facts and emotions follow the facts. But these blessed attributes are 100% emotional and
empathetic towards peoples plight and difficulties. One cannot just put on these attitudes without the context of knowing
people and their struggles.

The world is about escapism and getting away from the inevitable suffering and unanswered dilemmas, where as Christ
is the answer and He carries our load, and we can walk with Him through the pain and suffering and know in the end
it will resolve.

It is ironic that some say Jesus is the perfect example so we know we need Him and can never aspire to righteousness
whereas Jesus blesses those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, they will be filled is a promise that this will be found.
But without the hunger and thirst what holds back will not be left behind.

God bless you
God bless you, as well, friend. My favorite preacher said we must first appeal to the intellect, then to the emotions, and then through them both, to the will. That's what Jesus did, commingling divine truth with the tenderest mercy in every Gospel invitation. Today, intellectualism is either despised or misused, emotionalism has turned to love of Christ into saccharine sentimentalism, and truth has been left behind.

Reactions: Brakelite

WalkInLight

Jul 30, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God bless you, as well, friend. My favorite preacher said we must first appeal to the intellect, then to the emotions, and then through them both, to the will. That's what Jesus did, commingling divine truth with the tenderest mercy in every Gospel invitation. Today, intellectualism is either despised or misused, emotionalism has turned to love of Christ into saccharine sentimentalism, and truth has been left behind.
My testimony of coming to Christ, is understanding the gospel in ideas and then beginning to see it as reality,
emotionally the Lord of all creation, becoming a man and dying for me. Crazy, awe inspiring, heart changing,
heart breaking, overwhelming, forgiving, putting our value of life and ambition in the shade, and shinning an
eternal light on what actually matters.

This has given me a bias, where belief is seeing ones self in the shadow of a man tortured and dying so that
I might know life and love. In a family who knew love, but only hidden and protected, aggressive and selfish
hurting while being totally lonely, this was light in a very dark place.

I have been attacked by folk who seem convinced they know love, but are content to live compromised lives,
to a degree where change is hopeless. If this was what love was, I would never ever be saved and would have
died in despair.

Jesus called us to be like Him and He was never defeated or bowed. He humbled himself in strength and knowledge
knowing the weakness of his apostles, but also what His love and the Holy Spirit would help them achieve.
I used to feel only depressed people in the world could come to Jesus, because that was the society I lived in.

I now know anyone who wants love as He gives it, can and will come, because He is the giver of life.
Paul, a dedicated intellectual within phariseeism was turned into a man with a loving caring heart who shared
everything with his brothers and sisters in Christ and saw his end as something worthy of Jesus.

God bless you

Reactions: Phoneman777