'....because they refused to love the truth ....'

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
2 Thessalonians 2:8-12
And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming. The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

There are plenty who have their rendition of 'the truth' but the text above is not talking about a truth defined by any man or his dog....if dogs could define truth ie.

A mindset opposed to anything which brings to light error. A mindset unwilling to recognise the right in favour of a cherished erroneous view.... becomes irreversible

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and Brakelite

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming. The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

There are plenty who have their rendition of 'the truth' but the text above is not talking about a truth defined by any man or his dog....if dogs could define truth ie.

A mindset opposed to anything which brings to light to error. A mindset unwilling to recognise the right in favour of a cherished erroneous view.... becomes irreversible

Yes and some need to read their own posts.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A mindset opposed to anything which brings to light to error. A mindset unwilling to recognise the right in favour of a cherished erroneous view.... becomes irreversible
I love these verses! Truth is what God “thinks,” what He says, what He IS! He is not a man that He should lie.

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Lol. I meant to say I LOVE these verses. Been typing on my phone a lot.

Don’t know what you mean by determiner. Like I said, He IS the truth.
These verses

'And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming. The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.'

...... tell us what the objective of the evil one is and how he goes about achieving that objective. It also tells us that those aligned with the evil one choose the same objective.

Last edited:

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ohhhh....are you sure?....I mean, certain beyond doubt?
With no doubt. the truth is in Christ Jesus, if men would but run to Him.

And when the master of the house has shut the door, just as it was in the days of Noah, when God closed the door to the ark.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
With no doubt. the truth is in Christ Jesus, if men would but run to Him.

And when the master of the house has shut the door, just as it was in the days of Noah, when God closed the door to the ark.
Do you think there might be a similarity between having the door shut and being under a powerful delusion?.....and in regards to 'truth in Jesus', do you think this can be articulated/expanded or is it only a theological term to be cast about when convenient?

Last edited:

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do you think there might be a similarity between having the door shut and being under a powerful delusion?.....and in regards to 'truth in Jesus', do you think this can be articulated/expanded or is it only a convenient theological term to be cast about when convenient?
He is the truth and in Him there is no lie, if the truth is not in Him than we have no faith and christianity is just a delusion. But men will refuse to go to Him for the truth, because to go to Him men is to find out you believe the lie, and men would rather the lie ,also there is pride, ignorance arrogants ,all the bits of men that keep us from our Lord, not neglecting religion..

But than men forever conveniently throw bible text around as if it has any authority, that alone comes from God, if its not from God it has no weight, nor power to change any man.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
He is the truth and in Him there is no lie, if the truth is not in Him than we have no faith and christianity is just a delusion. But men will refuse to go to Him for the truth, because to go to Him men is to find out you believe the lie, and men would rather the lie ,also there is pride, ignorance arrogants ,all the bits of men that keep us from our Lord, not neglecting religion..

But than men forever conveniently throw bible text around as if it has any authority, that alone comes from God, if its not from God it has no weight, nor power to change any man.
why do you go around the mulberry bush? ....is it because you know no other route or is it because you don't understand my questions?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
why do you go around the mulberry bush? ....is it because you know no other route or is it because you don't understand my questions?
Didnt know there was a mulberry bush to go around, but if i missed teh point maybe it was pointing in the wrong direction.

But in ref top that door being shut, God will only wink at man for a time, and that time is rapidly running out.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Didnt know there was a mulberry bush to go around, but if i missed teh point maybe it was pointing in the wrong direction.

But in ref top that door being shut, God will only wink at man for a time, and that time is rapidly running out.
I understand....you know no other route and don't you understand the questions!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.

“because they refused to love the truth”

fearing their deeds may be made known. (Seems important) John 3:21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.
“that his deeds may be made manifest,” but they refuse to love the truth

Could “to love the truth” be not at all about which theology you choose to follow as the only truth, but instead a willingness to be open, forthcoming, and vulnerable in weakness to come clean?

My husband and I were watching a movie the other night. About kings and sword fights. There was a priest dressed in a fancy long robe, blinged out as he rode in the place of honor on his horse. He spoke to the man next to him pointing at the man he despised with a hatred, Sneering “I don’t like the pagan heathen. he is a vain man.”

For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie
Romans 1:28-31 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge,(for this reason) God gave them (delivered)over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; [29] Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, [30] Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, [31] Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

but have delighted in wickedness
Romans 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

“I don’t like the pagan heathen. he is a vain man.”

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
“because they refused to love the truth”

fearing their deeds may be made known. (Seems important) John 3:21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.
“that his deeds may be made manifest,” but they refuse to love the truth
Could “to love the truth” be not at all about which theology you choose to follow as the only truth, but instead a willingness to be open, forthcoming, and vulnerable in weakness to come clean?

My husband and I were watching a movie the other night. About kings and sword fights. There was a priest dressed in a fancy long robe, blinged out as he rode in the place of honor on his horse. He spoke to the man next to him pointing at the man he despised with a hatred, Sneering “I don’t like the pagan heathen. he is a vain man.”

For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie
Romans 1:28-31 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge,(for this reason) God gave them (delivered)over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; [29] Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, [30] Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, [31] Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

but have delighted in wickedness
Romans 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

“I don’t like the pagan heathen. he is a vain man.”
In the text of the OP 2 Thessalonians 2:8-12 'lawlessness' is mentioned twice as well as 'wickedness' mentioned twice.....the connection between the two being clear. Isn't it interesting that the many debates that the law has been done away with qualifies as no Law.....in other words lawlessness. It is an oxymoron to speak of desiring to do God's will while simultaneously doing away with his Law.

Obedience and Lawlessness do not coexist in one who loves Jesus. To believe it can is the powerful delusion the text speaks of and it calls it for what it is...wickedness.

A poster in another thread made this observation....
'Their 'T(less)-shirt' or 'bumpkin sticker' slogan would go something like this:
"Everybody should love & obey God, just don't tell me exactly how to do that!"

Thus the words "love" and "obey" become devoid of substance, or meaning. They are then simply placeholders of empty space. When in reality what they really mean is, ""Love & obey" means I do what I want (self-righteousness)."