Becoming a disciple of Jesus Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Select all you believe are necessary to become a Christian.

• Total voters

Poppin

Jan 16, 2014
I marked all because:

Acts 2
37Now when they heard this, they were pierced to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brethren, what shall we do?" 38Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39"For the promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God will call to Himself."

And:

Matthew 28
18And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

God Bless.

Reactions: Wormwood

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i chose all 4

faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God
believing means the same as faith
without a repentant heart we cannot draw near to God
baptism in the Holy Spirit is required but baptism in water is not required because it is symbolic

dadman

Feb 16, 2014
Kansas
dadmansabode.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 02:37 .. now when they heard this .. they were pierced to the heart .. and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles . . .
......... brethren .. what shall we do
Acts 02:38 .. Peter said to them . . . repent .. and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins ..
......... and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit

I remember someone say: concerning this word "for" .. that it can mean two different things .. future tense or past tense ...
ie: ... Jesse James: wanted for murder (because of) . or ..... I am headed out for a hair cut (inorder to)
and that the word here is past tense ... now I'm not a greek scholar . . . but it makes sense to me that all our sins were forgiven at the cross
there is no place for the believer to look forward for any forgivness . . . Jesus "paid" the price .. Jesus' work is "finished" ... Jesus has sat "down"
Acts 2:38 seems to indicate that there is some future action on my part that triggers being forgiven (baptism) ..
I'm seeing this here that because of my forgiveness I can now receive God's Holy Spirit ... now go be baptised

Am I off track on this ? ........... someones thoughts please

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
dadman said:
Acts 02:37 .. now when they heard this .. they were pierced to the heart .. and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles . . .

Acts 02:38 .. Peter said to them . . . repent .. and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins ..

I remember someone say: concerning this word "for" .. that it can mean two different things .. future tense or past tense ...
ie: ... Jesse James: wanted for murder (because of) . or ..... I am headed out for a hair cut (inorder to)
and that the word here is past tense ... now I'm not a greek scholar . . . but it makes sense to me that all our sins were forgiven at the cross
there is no place for the believer to look forward for any forgivness . . . Jesus "paid" the price .. Jesus' work is "finished" ... Jesus has sat "down"
Acts 2:38 seems to indicate that there is some future action on my part that triggers being forgiven (baptism) ..
I'm seeing this here that because of my forgiveness I can now receive God's Holy Spirit ... now go be baptised

Hi dadman,

Welcome again.

To suggest from this passage one is "assured" to receive the Holy Spirit Gifts would be to assume it rains continually (Joel 2:23). Personally, I don't believe this is what is being taught here in Acts 2. Context is important here.

In terms of remissions we read "for the remission of sins"...The word "remission" is the Greek aphesis which means "to let go," as was the second scapegoat into the wilderness, typically bearing the sins of the people (Lev 16:10) — the first goat having been offered. Both together represented the principle of acknowledgement of sins, and the bearing of them away.

The word is rendered: "deliverance," "forgiveness," "liberty," "remission." Please see Isa. 59:2; Hab. 3:13; Lk. 24:47; Acts 10:43; Rom. 3:25; Heb. 9:22.

By our complete identification with the sacrificial work of Christ, the opportunity is given for sins to be taken out of the way; thus covered over (Heb. kaphar) as by the mercy seat in the work of atonement.

So in keeping with your point "Acts 2:38 seems to indicate that there is some future action on my part that triggers being forgiven (baptism)". I can only suggest we look to Christ who taught his that his Baptism was one we could not undertake;

12:50 I (Jesus) have a baptism to undergo, and how distressed (in utter agony) I am until it is finished!

Paul further states our response to his example..Gal 5:24

So yes, a constant daily struggle between the mind of the flesh and the mind of the spirit until his coming.

In the Masters service
Purity

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Romans 10
8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13 For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
Angelina said:
Romans 10
8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13 For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Thanks Angelina,

Of course from this passage you can see how the believer is motivated to be baptized and the order of these essentials is found below:

1. Hearing the Gospel (4 votes [21.05%] - View)

2. Belief (in the Gospel) (6 votes [31.58%] - View)

3. Repentance (forsaking your own covering) (5 votes [26.32%] - View)

4 Baptism (full immersion) (4 votes [21.05%] - View)

Credit needs to go to wormwood for placing these elements of faith in their correct order. I have added the brackets though I appreciate wormwood may not agree ;)

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
The list is incomplete and not clear enough, so I didn't vote. The bible says that God gives grace to the humble. Where is humility on the list?
As well, there is a confession of sin that is part and parcel of the process. What that takes is a recognition and acknowledgment that one is a sinner and requires a Savior if he wants everlasting life. It also takes a desire to conform to, or be conformed to, God's plan and purpose for the indiviudual.

In other words, for the person that has no interest in knowing God or going along with the role and purpose for his life that God has created for him, then repentance, faith, and discipleship will have no real meaning or importance to this individual. The gospel is useless for this person. Then faith is also rendered void, as faith is not just about believing something, it is a means by which we receive something. Salvation is God's offer of grace (free gift of life). Faith is our way of receiving the offer of life. It might well go without saying that one should actually want these things. Not everyone does.

Furthermore, for he who is willing and interested in all of these aspects, then what he must do is humble himself and receive it freely (faith). This would probably require the understanding that this is the procedure expected of him. That usually comes by hearing.

As far as repentance goes, it is vital that the church at large actually comes to a universal understanding as to the meaning and application of that word. I guarantee that the usual definition is along the lines of turning from sin. But that is not the meaning of the word. It simply means to turn, or change one's mind. From what, to what? That's the question.

In the case of Acts 2:38, Peter did not say specifically what they should repent from. However, the context reveals just what it was that cut them to the heart. They had been informed that they had rejected and killed the Messiah. This is what shook them up and caused them to ask "what shall we do". This is what they were told to repent from. ...To turn and 'believe' on Jesus through baptism in His name...for the remission (removal) of sin.

Now, if repent means to remove one's own sin, as many assume, then why would Peter tell them that their sins would be removed (by God)? What was thier fault in the matter? Unbelief. What is the solution? Faith. The repentance therefore is a change from one to the other.

In fact, in Heb.6:1, one of the foundations mentioned is repentance from dead works, and faith toward God. Let's be clear: dead works is NOT sin. It is the works of the old covenant of law. They are dead because they cannot produce life (Gal.3:21). The repentance there is the change from works, to faith. From the old covenant to the new. This is a letter to Hebrews, after all.

So the word "repentance" is not always about sin. The context is required to understand the object of the repentance being done.

Yeh, I already know that this will be disputed. So be it. If anyone wants to do that, why not try praying about it and researching it, as I did, first?

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
williemac said:
The list is incomplete and not clear enough, so I didn't vote. The bible says that God gives grace to the humble. Where is humility on the list?
Will, this post was just nit-picking in my view. Its impossible to have genuine repentance without humility.

Wormwood has done well in his list but its human nature to add a thing here or there ;)

Purity

kjw47

Feb 18, 2014
Not only does one need to believe in Jesus' truths one needs to apply Jesus truths-- then one can see clearly--the entrance to the narrow gate--only Few do this Jesus taught. Few know Jesus' truths. That is sad. Many are told they are Christian, but that isn't true as well according to Jesus-Matt 7:21-23)
Many realities are being hidden under satans illusions-2 Corinthians 11:12-15)
Jesus was the example concerning baptism.
Its more than hearing the gospel Friend, Jesus taught at John 17:1-6--( while in prayer to his Father) Jesus calls the Father--THE ONLY TRUE GOD, and one must know him and know Jesus as well--verse 6 = YHWH(Jehovah)
According to 1 cor 6: 9-11--it makes the statement---That is what some of you were( past tense) means repentence actually means the stopping of the doing a sin when one knows it is a sin.
The only way a mortal can win = Matthew 16:24.
Jesus summed it all up at Matt 7:21---Those who do the will of my Father in heaven will enter his kingdom.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
dadman said:

dadman,

This is a good question. Basically the issue is whether or not the word is causal or reflective. As you pointed out, "for" (eis) is argued by some to be the result of something rather than for the purpose of something (forgiveness of sins). First, while the Greek word here could indicate that it is "because of" forgiveness, it is rarely used this way. The most natural reading would be to understand it as baptism and repentance are "for the purpose of" forgiveness of sins. Also, I think contextually it would make sense this way as well. Does someone repent because they have already been forgiven also? Baptism and repentance are both actions tied to forgiveness of sins so if we argue that baptism is done on the account of forgiveness we would have to say that repentance is the same. I doubt many would argue that we repent because we have already been forgiven. Finally, I think the context makes it clear that Peter is answering a question about salvation. What do we do to be saved? I do not think Peter is saying, "You are already saved, so just be baptized and repent because of what has already happened." It seems more likely to me that these people are wanting to know what the appropriate response to the Gospel is so that they can be saved. Peter's response is to repent and be baptized. He also says that not only will they receive salvation, but also the Holy Spirit. Peter also says this "promise" is for not only them but ALL who are far off.

Purity said:
Thanks Angelina,

Of course from this passage you can see how the believer is motivated to be baptized and the order of these essentials is found below:

1. Hearing the Gospel (4 votes [21.05%] - View)

2. Belief (in the Gospel) (6 votes [31.58%] - View)

3. Repentance (forsaking your own covering) (5 votes [26.32%] - View)

4 Baptism (full immersion) (4 votes [21.05%] - View)

Credit needs to go to wormwood for placing these elements of faith in their correct order. I have added the brackets though I appreciate wormwood may not agree ;)
Yes, Purity. I would agree with the brackets you added. Confession could perhaps be added to this list.

Angelina,

In Acts 22, Paul is told to "get up and be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name." Here it would seem that "calling on the name of the Lord" does not exclude baptism.

AndyBern

Jun 26, 2012
I haven't voted (yet) because I'm not sure what is implied by the word "Christian". Are you talking about salvation or discipleship? Salvation's prerequisites are repentance and belief (which assume the gospel has been heard), while following Jesus begins with baptism.

Over the last several years I've come to understand you can be a follower of Jesus (at least, to a degree), and yet not be saved. None of Jesus' twelve disciples were saved until after the resurrection when He appeared to them. When He died, they all lost faith (Luke 24:11,21). Thomas absolutely refused to believe without physical contact (John 20:25). Sure, Jesus had said earlier they would enter the heavenly kingdom (Luke 22:29-30), but salvation hadn't happened yet. And Judas was a disciple who was never saved.

We're not saved because we follow Jesus; we follow Jesus because God has saved us.

The Gospel According to Acts

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think the NT makes such clear distinctions between salvation and discipleship. I don't think the early church thought in terms of someone being saved but not a disciple or a disciple but not saved. I find it hard to believe that the disciples were not "saved" yet the thief on the cross was. Salvation is a person, not merely an event in my estimation.

Reactions: Poppin

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." (Romans 10:9)

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." (Romans 10:17)

"Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:" (Hebrews 12:14)

"But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life." (Romans 6:22)

Reactions: Wormwood