Behold! The Lamb of God!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 1:29 "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world."

My Holman King James included the translation note . . . or 'beareth' away.

The word is airo, to take up and carry away.

Did He leave any sin remaining behind?

What does it mean to "carry away the sin of the world"? And how is that accomplished?

Much love!

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 1:29 "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world."

Did He leave any behind?

Much love!
Remember this is the Baptist announcing the presence of Jesus as the Lamb. Jesus had yet to lay down his life. Can we answer any of these questions?

What is required for the sin to be taken away?

Where is the sin that is to be taken away?

Was there any sin before Adam and Eve disobeyed God?

Reactions: Pisteuo

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remember this is the Baptist announcing the presence of Jesus as the Lamb. Jesus had yet to lay down his life. Can we answer any of these questions?
Yes, timelines are part of this question.

I think the answers are in the Bible.

I think that this was John announcing Jesus' primary work to be accomplished by Him through His life and death.

I'd add, what does it mean that the sin of the world is carried away?

Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins.

Romans 5
12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

Much love!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

I think that this was John announcing Jesus' primary work to be accomplished by Him through His life and death.

Romans 5
12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

Much love!
@marks Like you say, good to go to Scripture for answers...

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks
Amadeus said:
Marks said:
Ecclesiastics 3:1-11
To be seen and understood by one with "eyes to see".
Yes, and...

"In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,
And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight." Matt 3:1-3

Without getting into what sin is again, what is the world here? Certainly Not planet Earth for when we look around us it all of the sin gone away?
What blood is shed and what Spirit is poured out for whosever will? Are there then two different kinds of blood?

"But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;" Acts 2:16

"And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit." Joel 2:28-29

Romans 5

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What blood is shed and what Spirit is poured out for whosever will? Are there then two different kinds of blood?
I'm speaking of the blood of Jesus, His physical life sacrificed to death, to provide a death for us.

At which time He said, It Is Finished.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Without getting into what sin is again, what is the world here? Certainly Not planet Earth for when we look around us it all of the sin gone away?
This is a very good question.

There is another aspect too. I've mentioned the Romans 5 passage about sin entering the world through Adam. That is said even though the serpent was already enticing Eve to disobey God. Would that not be sin? Yet that is not when sin entered the world, according to Romans 5.

It think a key to understanding is that Jesus is "the Lamb of God", and how this points us back to the animal sacrifices. What was incomplete in them would become complete in Jesus. The animal sacrifices could not remove the consciousness of guilt, since they had to be offered continually. But Jesus was offered once, for all.

Much love!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm speaking of the blood of Jesus, His physical life sacrificed to death, to provide a death for us.

At which time He said, It Is Finished.

Much love!
The personal sacrifice of Jesus was finished!
If all of the physical red blood was bled out on Calvary, what was poured out in the Upper Room? Are they the same?

I see the Spirit as the Blood of Jesus. In the OT especially in the Book of Leviticus it is made clear that life is in the blood, but that is speaking of carnal animals [and people] having physical life. It was a type or shadow of the real Life which was given up in Eden, but brought back by Jesus. Jesus came as a physical man with physical blood and he shed that blood, but he also shed something not available since Adam to a physical man... the Spirit. Men had spirit, but it was corrupted with no real Life in it. Men with only the red blood of the body were effectively dead to God. Jesus came to change that. He did not do it with by sharing with us the red blood of his also corruptible [corruptible, but NOT corrupted] body of flesh. The real Life lost in the Garden of Eden was and is the Spirit.

And then see this:

"And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb."
Revelation 7:14,

So the Blood of the Lamb makes no one red, but rather White.
Consider Esau [rough] who was called Edom [red] because he ate of the red pottage made by Jacob in exchange for his birthright.
Did not Jesus bring us something better than red pottage? How about robes made white by his Blood? How does this relate to this verse?

"But Judah shall dwell for ever, and Jerusalem from generation to generation.
For I will cleanse their blood that I have not cleansed: for the LORD dwelleth in Zion." Joel 3:20-21

In the natural we might believe that this was a sorting out of the mixed bloodlines of the natural Israelites [see Ezra 9:2-3 where Ezra was so upset he pulled out his own beard.] This may be right, but could this not also be simply a type or shadow of the double mindedness of Christian believers? What is Zion? One Hebrew derivation of the word means "dry or barren land". That is what every one of us were before we received Life from Jesus. Spiritually, we effectively had no Blood [Spirit] in us. We were dead. Jesus said, "Let the dead bury their dead" [Matt 8:22]. Apostle Paul writes

"Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." II Cor 3:6

Always before under the law God gave to Moses and spoken about in the Book of Acts, people were admonished not to partake of blood, but then see what Jesus says here:

"Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:53-54

Jesus was not speaking about the red blood which really was more of the death that men already had. He was speaking of the Blood of Life, the Holy Spirit, the Blood of the Body of Christ of which He, Jesus, was/is the Head.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consider Esau [rough] who was called Edom [red] because he ate of the red pottage made by Jacob in exchange for his birthright.
Did not Jesus bring us something better than red pottage? How about robes made white by his Blood? How does this relate to this verse?
Better than red stew? I most certainly think so.

A complete cleansing. Free from sin, from from it's guilt, it's stain, and it's power.

The complete and total removal of sin, and any one of us may participate in that, yours in faith.

Much love!

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Romans 5

Much love!
Genesis 3:17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

People could have led perfect lives, but this sin of the world still meant they would return to dust. It is this sin John the Baptist was talking about.

Reactions: amadeus

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What does it mean to "carry away the sin of the world"? And how is that accomplished?
Why don't you tell us?
It think a key to understanding is that Jesus is "the Lamb of God", and how this points us back to the animal sacrifices. What was incomplete in them would become complete in Jesus. The animal sacrifices could not remove the consciousness of guilt, since they had to be offered continually. But Jesus was offered once, for all.
This is true. At the same time Christians need to study the epistle to the Hebrews to understand John 1:29.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did He leave any sin remaining behind?
addressing the OP only. let's see what happen to sin by the scriptures, Romans 8:3 "For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:"
so what do this MEAN? 2 Corinthians 5:21 "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." GOOD, but.....

Romans 7:17 "Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me." (HOLD IT, WHERE IS SIN?), one might want to re-read that.
Romans 7:18 "For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not." (SIN IN THE FLESH?), OH MY GOD, CAN ONE SEE THE REVELATION NOW? .... OH WELL LET'S GO ON.
Romans 7:19 "For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do." BINGO Right in our face.
Romans 7:20 "Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me."

well if sin was taken up it must have been from the feet to the head for the apostle was trying to explain what to do with "SIN" in his Flesh. sin is in the NATURAL FLESH, and if you're not in Christ JESUS, then you're going to have to deal with sin in our MEMBERS... (flesh).
again I say, one need to know the difference between "sin", and "iniquity", because "Sin" is DEAD, that's if you're in the body of Christ, it's the "iniquity", that revive the "Sin". but ... who is 101G to know anything?. maybe...

PICJAG

Last edited: