Being a Doer of the Word and not a Hearer Only

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

seekandfind

Jun 21, 2012
Paul said that faith comes by hearing the word of God.

Jesus said this:

Matthew 7:24 Jesus replied, "But even more blessed are all who hear the word of God and put it into practice."

None of God's Apostles or Prophets within the scriptures contradict Jesus at all. How can they? They are all speaking His truth and are representatives of HIM.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

This is just the beginning.

If we believe someone and trust someone we will do the things that person says to do.

Here are just some of the things that Jesus said to do.

Matthew 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:

Luke 13:24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

Matthew 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

These are not works of the flesh, one can make these works of the flesh by not keeping Christ first and acknowldeging HIM in all our ways. Otherwise we are leaning on our own understanding. Christ is the head of all things and He leads us in what we should be doing. His word instructs us, His leadership guides us and we learn and grow through this.

2 Corinthians 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

God doesn't tell people to do anything for no reason. There is a reason and a purpose behind everything that HE has said and that HE continues to say.

This goes directly into a relationship with HIM.

Some say that if we do what He said to do that these are works of the flesh. I say that when we are abiding in HIM and are following His instruction we learn and grow through this.

James 1:22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. (NIV)

James 1:22 But don't just listen to God's word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves. (NLT)

James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. (KJV)

Regardless of what translation we read, they all say the same thing.