Being Homeless vs Going Camping

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you homeless in the city the authorities won't let you have fires like you could when you go camping. So there is really no refuge from the cold. There is no food as you soon run out of food. And you can't just go to the bathroom as it is against the law to go to the bathroom in the city. If you are camping you can go to the bathroom no problem. Woods are different.

If you've ever been homeless and experienced all of this then this thread is for you.

Also trying to stay dry so you can stay warm is usually a crime since it is a crime to trespass under business eves after business hours. Even the bus stops that are sheltered are off limits after bus hours.

Homeless people by nature must commit crimes to survive in the sense that I have already stated.

That said there are many people that will offer them food and money when they need. But the authorities often also make it a crime to panhandle for money. Which is usually on an off ramp at the freeway or highway or some intersection where the cars must stop.

Even the churches near my house have no trespassing signs and have called the police on homeless visitors. The businesses usually have a no loitering sign.

Did I cover it all?

• Sad
Reactions: Josho and Nancy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You also might appreciate this thread if you watch a lot of Bear Grylls episodes. But he's camping so he's got it a little different. But the adversity...:

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many homeless work full time jobs.

And can't afford rent.

Real estate and rental prices could decline significantly at some point.

As the number of residents who can afford them diminish.

The same standard could apply to higher education, healthcare and other sectors that are fast becoming unaffordable.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many homeless work full time jobs.

And can't afford rent.

Real estate and rental prices could decline significantly at some point.

As the number of residents who can afford them diminish.

The same standard could apply to higher education, healthcare and other sectors that are fast becoming unaffordable.
Never thought of it that way, thanks!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ran across this quote in college:

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread. - Anatole France

On my trips to Tokyo, Yokohama, Taipei, and Seoul, I didn't see any homeless people camping in the streets. I saw one beggar in Taipei, and it was so unusual it was notable. Do they just arrest them? Or move them out of the parts of the city that foreigners visit? I'm sure it helps that they don't have the drug problems we have; I noted in the SAMHSA study, 50% have substance abuse problems, though it's questionable which way the causality runs.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If these politicians cared half as much about people than they do about power, money and control, then something might actually get done about this problem.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If these politicians cared half as much about people than they do about power, money and control, then something might actually get done about this problem.
Precisely

Reactions: mailmandan

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
there are many people that will offer them food and money when they need. But the authorities often also make it a crime to panhandle for money. Which is usually on an off ramp at the freeway or highway or some intersection where the cars must stop.
Good point.
---
I used to get/give..burgers & pizza to the homeless (at the intersection)
- Some of the homeless have..legal & family issues.
---
I was involved in the homeless ministry..years ago..
- food pantry, housing & counseling.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good point.
---
I used to get/give..burgers & pizza to the homeless (at the intersection)
- Some of the homeless have..legal & family issues.
---
I was involved in the homeless ministry..years ago..
- food pantry, housing & counseling.
It's such a blessing to help the homeless. I feel closer to the Lord when I serve him.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's such a blessing to help the homeless. I feel closer to the Lord when I serve him.
Our church has an outreach for the homeless in which food and clothing is distributed to them on a werkly basis from donations made by church members. Some of them have received the Lord thanks to the love and generosity from others. :Thumbsup:

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When you homeless in the city the authorities won't let you have fires like you could when you go camping. So there is really no refuge from the cold. There is no food as you soon run out of food. And you can't just go to the bathroom as it is against the law to go to the bathroom in the city. If you are camping you can go to the bathroom no problem. Woods are different.

If you've ever been homeless and experienced all of this then this thread is for you.

Also trying to stay dry so you can stay warm is usually a crime since it is a crime to trespass under business eves after business hours. Even the bus stops that are sheltered are off limits after bus hours.

Homeless people by nature must commit crimes to survive in the sense that I have already stated.

That said there are many people that will offer them food and money when they need. But the authorities often also make it a crime to panhandle for money. Which is usually on an off ramp at the freeway or highway or some intersection where the cars must stop.

Even the churches near my house have no trespassing signs and have called the police on homeless visitors. The businesses usually have a no loitering sign.

Did I cover it all?
Tough situation, what do the authorities expect homeless people to do in cities?

TinMan

Mar 26, 2023
Michigan Saginaw
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are a good number of countries that has all but gotten rid of homelessness, Japan, Finland and Belgium come to mind. What these countries have done is implement policies that are focused on the individual and that remove barriers to getting people off the streets. They have also addressed the mentality that if you are homeless, it is because of your own flawed character. Countries without homeless individuals have and maintain housing just for getting people off of the streets, and there are no hoops to jump through to get such housing as there is in America. In the United States to qualify for such emergency housing you have to be drug/alcohol free, be employed, not be on probation, getting mental health services if you need them and so on. These things are tough when you have a home and close to impossible when you don't. FInland for example recognizes that once you get the homeless into homes with adequate food and assistance crime goes down then problems like substance abuse or mental health can actually be addressed,

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are a good number of countries that has all but gotten rid of homelessness, Japan, Finland and Belgium come to mind. What these countries have done is implement policies that are focused on the individual and that remove barriers to getting people off the streets. They have also addressed the mentality that if you are homeless, it is because of your own flawed character. Countries without homeless individuals have and maintain housing just for getting people off of the streets, and there are no hoops to jump through to get such housing as there is in America. In the United States to qualify for such emergency housing you have to be drug/alcohol free, be employed, not be on probation, getting mental health services if you need them and so on. These things are tough when you have a home and close to impossible when you don't. FInland for example recognizes that once you get the homeless into homes with adequate food and assistance crime goes down then problems like substance abuse or mental health can actually be addressed,
The united states has eliminated the mental health help for the most part by getting rid of their institutions. What was once federal institutions was given over to the state to handle. And the states just don't handle it well.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tough situation, what do the authorities expect homeless people to do in cities?

Los Angeles has organizations reaching out to the homeless, trying to get them into housing.
But some of the homeless refuse housing and want to live on the streets.

A couple of years ago, a city park nearby was set for a renovation. There had been about 300 I think living there. Because the councilman for that area found housing for nearly all of them. I think the others declined help.

Reactions: Josho and dev553344