Belief in Motion(You mean in reversal)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I am going to re-tell an event from my past that became an essential piece to seeing the larger picture of belief. Early 80's while in highschool I decided to cut from class with another kid and we'd go off exploring. He was new to the high school and most of the other kid's just ignored him. So we're roaming around nothing to do but talk and walk. After some time past and being pretty far from the school I didn't think I'd return for the day, so I was thinking I'd hope my absence wouldn't reach the ears my parents. We eventually walked to a newly built bridge and thought it would be fun to see who's spit would reach the bottom first. Then all of a sudden the police come flying up towards the bridge and then they were everywhere.

"Please step back from the bridge"

Of course the both us did and of course the you know what hit the fan. I don't know if I was more afraid of thinking I'm in trouble with the police or I'm now in trouble with my parents. So the both of us were driven straight back to the high school split up into separate rooms, and then the parents came.

(I do know now what happened behind the scenes)

There was woman who lived not far from that bridge on a hill. Who at the time while we were having a spitting competition thought (These kid's are going to jump off!) Which she immediately called the police, most likely in a absolute frenzy of emotion "I see two kid's! I think they're going to jump of the bridge!" Which was in fact something she believed (Not knew)

After the police arrived and saw us two kid's leaning our heads over the bridge it then solidified for those officers that the woman's belief could be true. Of course from there some of the police officer's who did believe that was the case past that woman's belief to the headmaster, who then past that belief to the teachers and my parents. Which now I finally understand from that single event why my mother used to remind me year after year

"Only cowards commit suicide Christopher"
(This is a true, also cowards do not enter into the kingdom of God)

(It's in the Bible people, look it up)

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“For this is the way that God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.”

(John 3:16, NET)

God’s love in motion.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
“For this is the way that God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.”

(John 3:16, NET)

God’s love in motion.
Question: How can you prove a belief?

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I figure that believing over knowing has had adverse side-effects on our physical bodies, maybe even our chemical make up somwhat effecting our DNA generation to generation. Question to myself (What does a world of people look-like without belief as a norm)
Has anybody actually proven (With evidence) that believing itself is a natural human function of the brain (Not talking about the imagination region) All I know is that emotions play a intricate role in belief (Why is that exactly)

Last edited:

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
The experience "I feel God speaking to my heart" just me might be something else.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Is nature as a whole (Consisting of all natural things over the expanse of the cosmos) an entity itself. It must sense me while I am living within the cosmos. Is nature governed by something greater, I don't know. Mother cosmos and the father (unknown)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

Answer: In due time, it will prove itself.

I invite everyone to believe the gospel. Do whatever you think best In that regard, but don’t ever say that you weren’t invited.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
No son of man may die for another's sins; the lifesoul that sins dies
What the, I never can understand what you say. I have to decode it first. See what your beliefs have done with the way you communicate? You know what's going to happen now I've said that, right? Someone one has to come to the rescue, a belief defender. Although I've always liked you @bbyrd009 because you've taken your own beliefs where you want, but it's still going to have a significant impact on your mental health.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is "knowledge"? Only a subset of "beliefs".

There's a subset of philosophy called epistemology which seeks to answer the question, "How do we know what we know?" Or, "How do we know that we know that we know?" That kind of recursive fuzzy navel-gazing is way over my head. Whoosh!

My first boss told me (I was probably being indecisive about some damn thing or other),

"Al, life is about making important decisions on insufficient data."

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
What is "knowledge"? Only a subset of "beliefs".

There's a subset of philosophy called epistemology which seeks to answer the question, "How do we know what we know?" Or, "How do we know that we know that we know?" That kind of recursive fuzzy navel-gazing is way over my head. Whoosh!

My first boss told me (I was probably being indecisive about some damn thing or other),

"Al, life is about making important decisions on insufficient data."
Knowledge is a subset of beliefs? Then what would believing itself be? I do know what you mean by subset. Although I'd say there's a difference between making an important decision on insufficient data, than making an important decision on poor evidence. I think this is why atheists today are reported as being more moral citizens than Christian's.

Lapidem

Jan 30, 2021
DinglyDell
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United Kingdom

You can't prove a belief for by definition a belief requires that proof does not exist. If proof existed it would not be a belief, it would be knowledge. Religious indoctrination is predicated on this principle.

What you can do is exercise critical thinking, objective analysis, evidential enquiry to determine whether a belief you have is real, sound or simply fantasy.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Knowledge is a subset of beliefs? Then what would believing itself be?
"Knowing" something boils down to believing it for reasons that meet certain defined criteria. I've had to define experiments where the result is "knowledge" based on quantifiable mathematical probabilities, i.e. we "know" something is true with a calculated 60% confidence, 90% confidence, 95% confidence, 99.7% confidence, or 99.99966% confidence. In the latter case, the so-called "six-sigma", you still have a 3.4 part-per-million chance of being wrong.

In real life, you usually can't even quantify your chances of being wrong.

I told that story about what Larry (my boss) said to my father-in-law, who in his life had considerable experience running organizations in academia and politics. He said that you could never be truly certain of anything, so you get as much information as you can and you make a decision. And indecision is a decision.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
"Knowing" something boils down to believing it for reasons that meet certain defined criteria. I've had to define experiments where the result is "knowledge" based on quantifiable mathematical probabilities, i.e. we "know" something is true with a calculated 60% confidence, 90% confidence, 95% confidence, 99.7% confidence, or 99.99966% confidence. In the latter case, the so-called "six-sigma", you still have a 3.4 part-per-million chance of being wrong.

In real life, you usually can't even quantify your chances of being wrong.

I told that story about what Larry (my boss) said to my father-in-law, who in his life had considerable experience running organizations in academia and politics. He said that you could never be truly certain of anything, so you get as much information as you can and you make a decision. And indecision is a decision.
I understand exactly where you're coming from here. Although I think your missing the crucial factor why believing by default hinders our development of understanding information accurately. Believing by itself does not address the lack of understanding we have about something, rather it acts to block our necessity to inquire further. It's basically the same scenario "What I believe is all I need to know"

Lapidem

Jan 30, 2021
DinglyDell
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Believing by itself does not address the lack of understanding we have about something, rather it acts to block our necessity to inquire further.

Very correct.

People are inherently lazy. Thinking is hard. Research and study are hard. People want instant answers. Instant everything.

Instant coffee, instant meals, instant gratification.

Religious outfits prey on the vulnerable and lazy. They offer spoonfed instant answers to people who don't care about the truth, who would rather have the comfort of lies and deceptions than walk the harder journey towards the truth and light.

Two problems there.

One, the need to shake people and wake them up out of their conditioned stupor and laziness.

Two, the need to do something about those wicked organisations preying on such people and sending them astray using psychological techniques and scaremongering as their MO.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Very correct.

People are inherently lazy. Thinking is hard. Research and study are hard. People want instant answers. Instant everything.

Instant coffee, instant meals, instant gratification.

Religious outfits prey on the vulnerable and lazy. They offer spoonfed instant answers to people who don't care about the truth, who would rather have the comfort of lies and deceptions than walk the harder journey towards the truth and light.

Two problems there.

One, the need to shake people and wake them up out of their conditioned stupor and laziness.

Two, the need to do something about those wicked organisations preying on such people and sending them astray using psychological techniques and scaremongering as their MO.
Thanks for the support and all.

I have been thinking about what @Lambano said (What is "knowledge"? Only a subset of "beliefs") If no one can be 100% sure of what they know, therefore believing must be involved. That would also apply for people who actually believe in God. So why are they so sure?

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Only cowards commit suicide Christopher"
(This is a true, also cowards do not enter into the kingdom of God)

(It's in the Bible people, look it up)

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

5 Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

7 Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.

8 Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

9 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.

10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

-Matthew 5