Betrayal In Bible & Loyalty in Today's Society

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In today's devotional reading, I came across David being betrayed by his son Absalom in usurping the throne, which made me thing about Betrayal In Bible & Loyalty in Today's Society. A few of many Biblical betrayals:
  1. David by Saul
  2. David by Absolam
  3. David by his concubines
  4. David by Joab (for killing Abner, Absalom, & Amasa)
  5. Solomon by his wives (worshipping idols)
  6. Pharaoh by the midwives
  7. Job by his friends
  8. Herod by the Wise Men
  9. God by Adam & Eve
  10. God by Lucifer & 1/3 of the Angels
  11. Jesus by Judas
  12. Jesus by Peter
Indeed, betrayal is undeniably a major theme in the Bible. Humans have always had to deal with betrayal and I'm sure each of us have personally been betrayed and betrayed others, even if just by gossip or loss of confidence.

The bias for betrayal is so pronounced in our society, loyalty is flagrantly condemned and eliminated as a virtue, being castigated to 'blind loyalty.' This was readily apparent with anyone whose loyalty was unwavering in their support for President Donald J Trump in our last 2 election cycles.

A hallmark of our society's decline is seen in the fact that there is always something to rail against but exactly what are 'American values' that hold us together grow more elusive all the time. The 18th century rebels were given demigod status in being called Founding Fathers upon their improbable victory. And loyalty to the national government lasted a few scant years when the Articles of Confederation were abandoned for the Constitution. Betrayal and the lack of loyalty seems inherent in the human condition. Thoughts?

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
what! you don't trust me Nancy?

I missed you... your gentle spirit and tenderness... I have returned with hopefully a teaspoon more of wisdom.
I need to learn when to walk away... and ANGER towards certain attitudes is something that I have to accept about
myself. So... I bought NEW RUNNING SHOES... so that I can make a quick exit to the door when I run into a BAD ATTITUDE.

I am grateful for souls like you...

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ah! All but you Q.T. :D
Hi Nancy.... So nice to see you... How are you holding up these days?? Are you still working at that place ( Was is a soup kitchen?? Not sure what you said it was )... I hope everything is good with you.

Reactions: Nancy

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In today's devotional reading, I came across David being betrayed by his son Absalom in usurping the throne, which made me thing about Betrayal In Bible & Loyalty in Today's Society. A few of many Biblical betrayals:
  1. David by Saul
  2. David by Absolam
  7. Job by his friends
  8. Herod by the Wise Men
  9. God by Adam & Eve
  11. Jesus by Judas
  12. Jesus by Peter
Indeed, betrayal is undeniably a major theme in the Bible. Humans have always had to deal with betrayal and I'm sure each of us have personally been betrayed and betrayed others, even if just by gossip or loss of confidence.

The bias for betrayal is so pronounced in our society, loyalty is flagrantly condemned and eliminated as a virtue, being castigated to 'blind loyalty.' This was readily apparent with anyone whose loyalty was unwavering in their support for President Donald J Trump in our last 2 election cycles.

A hallmark of our society's decline is seen in the fact that there is always something to rail against but exactly what are 'American values' that hold us together grow more elusive all the time. The 18th century rebels were given demigod status in being called Founding Fathers upon their improbable victory. And loyalty to the national government lasted a few scant years when the Articles of Confederation were abandoned for the Constitution. Betrayal and the lack of loyalty seems inherent in the human condition. Thoughts?
I think the same could be said for Obama and even the current president.

However. I know myself. I was loyal to trump only because he was the lesser of two evils.. Not because I thought he was great.

As Nancy said. Trust no one..

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Nancy.... So nice to see you... How are you holding up these days?? Are you still working at that place ( Was is a soup kitchen?? Not sure what you said it was )... I hope everything is good with you.

Thank you Addy,
I'm fine, and how are things with you? Yes, still at the Genesis Center. Other than that, nothing much going on sister. Grateful for everything and in need of nothing, praise God!
xo

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thank you Addy,
I'm fine, and how are things with you? Yes, still at the Genesis Center. Other than that, nothing much going on sister. Grateful for everything and in need of nothing, praise God!
xo
Ditto what you just said... all is well here... nothing much going on either... LOL and so very GRATEFUL for everything... and like you... in need of NOTHING. Indeed.... PRAISE GOD!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I missed you... your gentle spirit and tenderness... I have returned with hopefully a teaspoon more of wisdom.
I need to learn when to walk away... and ANGER towards certain attitudes is something that I have to accept about
myself. So... I bought NEW RUNNING SHOES... so that I can make a quick exit to the door when I run into a BAD ATTITUDE.

I am grateful for souls like you...
well, thank you addy....I didn't know you cared. Frankly, I thought you were talking to Truman.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
  1. David by Saul
  2. David by Absolam
  7. Job by his friends
  8. Herod by the Wise Men
  9. God by Adam & Eve
  11. Jesus by Judas
  12. Jesus by Peter

Some good thoughts and reminiscent of Genesis 3:6. Something we human's will always struggle with but as believer's we should always take the higher ground since Jesus did so for us on the cross. Just musing.....