Beware the Leaven

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mat 16:11 How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?
Mat 16:12 Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

What was the doctrine of the Pharisees and Sadducees that Jesus called leaven in the bread?
What is he referring to?
Thank You

HUGS

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mat 16:11 How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?
Mat 16:12 Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

What was the doctrine of the Pharisees and Sadducees that Jesus called leaven in the bread?
What is he referring to?
Thank You

HUGS

consider 1 Corinthians 5:7-8 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: [8] Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

He told them they seek to kill him.

1 Peter 2:16 As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God.

1 Thessalonians 2:5 For neither at any time used we flattering words, as ye know, nor a cloke of covetousness; God is witness:

Luke 6:27-30 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, [28] Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. [29] And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also. [30] Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.

Matthew 5:40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.

John 15:22 If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin.

1 Corinthians 14:20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.

Matthew 23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 15:22 If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin.
Thank You Victory!

In this verse here it reminds me of when God was walking through the garden and Adam and Eve knew they was naked.
And the fig leaves are the cloak they made to try to hide their sin.

HUGS

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You will find that doctrine recorded in the Talmud.
So this isn't the scriptures themselves right?
I know there is another book of rules that they had seperate, but I never looked into that.
Maybe I'll try a study on the Talmud and what its all about.
Doctrine is teachings, so they made up their own..
sounds typical..
Thank You!
HUGS

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What is he referring to?
Thank You

HUGS

What?!?

He was pointing to men's traditions, of course, doctrines of men that go against God's Holy Writ...

Isa 29:13
13 Wherefore the Lord said, "Forasmuch as this people draw near Me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour Me, but have removed their heart far from Me, and their fear toward Me is taught by the precept of men:

KJV

Matt 15:3
3 But he answered and said unto them, "Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?"

KJV

Mark 7:7
7 Howbeit in vain do they worship Me, teaching for doctines the commandments of men.

KJV

Titus 1:14
14 Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

KJV

Col 2:8
8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

KJV

A healthy line upon line, chapter by chapter Bible study in ALL of God's written Word helps to prevent the following of men's doctrines that go against God's Word. It becomes very easy to recognize the false prophets and false teachers.

Reactions: Ziggy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

What is he referring to?
Thank You

HUGS
self enthronement, self focus, self importance.....a view that radiates from self......'look at me, look at me'

There was a shiny angel, Luc by name.....he thought service to others sucked so he did some sucking of his own and implemented a new angle....'if it feels good, do it'. The yeast has done its job everywhere.....even in heaven.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
About the metaphor of 'leaven' that Jesus used in the miracle of the loaves...

Leaven of course is about yeast that makes bread rise. It makes one think they are getting more bread, but in reality, a closer look reveals many tiny bubbles in the loaf that is filled with air.

The leaven is used as a metaphor for men's doctrines added... to the full pure unleavened loaf of bread.

The unleavened full loaf represents God's Word full strength, as that is what the believer wants.

The pure full loaf went out to the multitudes, but what came back were many baskets of bread 'fragments'. The fragments represent what men's doctrines did to the true pure Word of God full strength. The leaven 'added'... to the pure loaf, so it became fragmented.

A fragmented Bible teaching is what you get if the preacher/teacher does not cover God's Word line upon line, chapter by chapter. You get a little fragment here, and a little fragment there, never coming to a full understanding of the Truth in order to be strong in the Faith and prepared to make a stand for Jesus in the end.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What?!?

He was pointing to men's traditions, of course, doctrines of men that go against God's Holy Writ...

Isa 29:13
13 Wherefore the Lord said, "Forasmuch as this people draw near Me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour Me, but have removed their heart far from Me, and their fear toward Me is taught by the precept of men:

KJV

Matt 15:3
3 But he answered and said unto them, "Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?"

KJV

Mark 7:7
7 Howbeit in vain do they worship Me, teaching for doctines the commandments of men.

KJV

Titus 1:14
14 Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

KJV

Col 2:8
8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

KJV

A healthy line upon line, chapter by chapter Bible study in ALL of God's written Word helps to prevent the following of men's doctrines that go against God's Word. It becomes very easy to recognize the false prophets and false teachers.
What are the rudiments that Paul is speaking about, or the Jewish fables?
thank you

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
About the metaphor of 'leaven' that Jesus used in the miracle of the loaves...

Leaven of course is about yeast that makes bread rise. It makes one think they are getting more bread, but in reality, a closer look reveals many tiny bubbles in the loaf that is filled with air.

The leaven is used as a metaphor for men's doctrines added... to the full pure unleavened loaf of bread.

The unleavened full loaf represents God's Word full strength, as that is what the believer wants.

The pure full loaf went out to the multitudes, but what came back were many baskets of bread 'fragments'. The fragments represent what men's doctrines did to the true pure Word of God full strength. The leaven 'added'... to the pure loaf, so it became fragmented.

A fragmented Bible teaching is what you get if the preacher/teacher does not cover God's Word line upon line, chapter by chapter. You get a little fragment here, and a little fragment there, never coming to a full understanding of the Truth in order to be strong in the Faith and prepared to make a stand for Jesus in the end.
A lot of times I have to go and find the before and after of a verse someone posts. Because when a verse stands alone, anyone can make it mean what they want. I learned that the hard way. But it was a good lesson.

The reason why I posted that verse was because I thought maybe there are some things in the OT that are like leaven.
Like the Chariot in Ezekiel and the wheels.. they mean something.. I don't believe it's literal.
But maybe people was taught to look for flying chariots in the sky?
I'm just using that as an example for the sake of argument..
I haven't studied the wheels yet.
Thank you for the fragments.. I never saw it that way.
:)

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the fig leaves are the cloak they made to try to hide their sin.

Makes me think of Ezekiel 47:12 And by the river upon the bank thereof, on this side and on that side, shall grow all trees for meat, whose leaf shall not fade, neither shall the fruit thereof be consumed: it shall bring forth new fruit according to his months, because their waters they issued out of the sanctuary: and the fruit thereof shall be for meat, and the leaf thereof for medicine.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Makes me think of Ezekiel 47:12 And by the river upon the bank thereof, on this side and on that side, shall grow all trees for meat, whose leaf shall not fade, neither shall the fruit thereof be consumed: it shall bring forth new fruit according to his months, because their waters they issued out of the sanctuary: and the fruit thereof shall be for meat, and the leaf thereof for medicine.
Transparency.. lol
God saw right through those fading fig leaves didn't he?
But the blood of Christ covers all our sins.. so God made them skins from the lamb that was slain from the foundation of the world..
to heal the nations..
Psa 107:20 He sent his word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions.

all trees..
Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mar 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

God is Good!

HUGS

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
depending on context.

Leaven: Any thing which makes a general change in the mass. It generally means something which corrupts or depraves that with which it is mixed.

a bad sense: 1 Corinthians 5:6 "Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?"
here, where one mix truth with lie, because A. they seek to decieve or B. they are unskilled in the word of God.

Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees. Matthew 16:6 "Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees."
here it is false doctrine, "the leaven" of these is meant their doctrine. The doctrines the Pharisees taught were the commandments and inventions of men, the traditions of the elders, and justification by the works of the law. the doctrine of the Sadducees was, that there was no resurrection of the dead, nor angels, nor spirits. this is bared out in Matthew 16:12 "Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees."

but also, as he warn his churches in Revelation chapter 2, and 3. other word, a warning aganist Syncretism.

in a Good sense: Matthew 13:33 "Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened."

here the increase of the KINGDOM, supportive scripture, Isaiah 9:6 "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."
Isaiah 9:7 "Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this."

here truth and Justice will pervail. starting out small as a mustard seed. but increase as the leaven which makes a general change in the mass

hoped that helped.

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
depending on context.

Leaven: Any thing which makes a general change in the mass. It generally means something which corrupts or depraves that with which it is mixed.

a bad sense: 1 Corinthians 5:6 "Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?"
here, where one mix truth with lie, because A. they seek to decieve or B. they are unskilled in the word of God.

Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees. Matthew 16:6 "Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees."
here it is false doctrine, "the leaven" of these is meant their doctrine. The doctrines the Pharisees taught were the commandments and inventions of men, the traditions of the elders, and justification by the works of the law. the doctrine of the Sadducees was, that there was no resurrection of the dead, nor angels, nor spirits. this is bared out in Matthew 16:12 "Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees."

but also, as he warn his churches in Revelation chapter 2, and 3. other word, a warning aganist Syncretism.

in a Good sense: Matthew 13:33 "Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened."

here the increase of the KINGDOM, supportive scripture, Isaiah 9:6 "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."
Isaiah 9:7 "Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this."

here truth and Justice will pervail. starting out small as a mustard seed. but increase as the leaven which makes a general change in the mass

hoped that helped.

PICJAG
Oh I see the Parables as rebukes.
The Kingdom of God was the Synagogue Jesus was teaching in in his day. And He was saying that they took God's kingdom and added leaven to it.
They sat on the seat of Moses as gods themselves.. And they decided what laws the "kingdom" would be run by.
The leaven.
The mustard seed is another rebuke. It's origen , the mustard seed that is comes from Egypt. And it relates to the story of the disciples that could not cast out the devil of the lunatick son.
I did a study in the thread parables..

I'm studying... I'm not teaching..
just working things out.
That's just how I hear them.
Let he who hears, hear what the spirit saith..
I'm trying real hard to listen.. :)

HUGS

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh I see the Parables as rebukes.
The Kingdom of God was the Synagogue Jesus was teaching in in his day. And He was saying that they took God's kingdom and added leaven to it.
They sat on the seat of Moses as gods themselves.. And they decided what laws the "kingdom" would be run by.
The leaven.
The mustard seed is another rebuke. It's origen , the mustard seed that is comes from Egypt. And it relates to the story of the disciples that could not cast out the devil of the lunatick son.
I did a study in the thread parables..

I'm studying... I'm not teaching..
just working things out.
That's just how I hear them.
Let he who hears, hear what the spirit saith..
I'm trying real hard to listen.. :)

HUGS
we all are learning, we all are in the same boat, ony follow God lead, he will teach us and give us what to say. thank God that you're studying. if we can get other to be bereans, oh the joy of discussing God Holy Word.

be blessed.

PICJAG

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lot of times I have to go and find the before and after of a verse someone posts. Because when a verse stands alone, anyone can make it mean what they want. I learned that the hard way. But it was a good lesson.

The reason why I posted that verse was because I thought maybe there are some things in the OT that are like leaven.
Like the Chariot in Ezekiel and the wheels.. they mean something.. I don't believe it's literal.
But maybe people was taught to look for flying chariots in the sky?
I'm just using that as an example for the sake of argument..
I haven't studied the wheels yet.
Thank you for the fragments.. I never saw it that way.
:)

Well, this should have become obvious for those who understood Isaiah 28 where our Heavenly Father showed what kind of study of His Word prevents deception, "precept upon precept, line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little" (Isaiah 28:13). Because true study of His Word is that way, the men of Jerusalem failed in keeping it, and God obviously knew they would fail in not keeping it, and thus would fall backwards and be taken.

Isa 28:13
13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

KJV

And what is funny but sad for today, many brethren who read that interpret it exactly the opposite of how it is written. They instead say that if... you study God's Word that way, then that will cause deception! Those who think that are only repeating what God's enemies do to create confusion and chaos among God's people. Line upon line is the proper method of study, and that idea is linked to Apostle Paul's idea of rightly dividing The Word per 2 Timothy 2:18. I'm not saying topic coverage is wrong either though, but how can one know what the topic is in a chapter if they don't first cover it all?

All I can say, is the majority out there today in the pulpits are subjects of the 'system' over them, so it's up to each believer to do their own Bible study asking God's help. Ain't no Church system going to keep you from being deceived in these times unless they are sticking strictly to The Word of God as written. And doing that today just ain't... popular.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why? are you worried someone is going to speak out against the law? Are you a lawyer maybe?
I think maybe the fables themselves have been written in the scriptures. And that we need to weed them out.
Paul speaks about "types" Like sarah and haggai.. they are types, did they actually exist? Are they stories that were told to convey a moral?
And the moral of the story is....
I'm not saying they are fiction or non-fiction. That's not important to me.
What is important is what we learn from them.
So my question was, what are the Jewish fables and where would one find them?

Thank You

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
self enthronement, self focus, self importance.....a view that radiates from self......'look at me, look at me'

There was a shiny angel, Luc by name.....he thought service to others sucked so he did some sucking of his own and implemented a new angle....'if it feels good, do it'. The yeast has done its job everywhere.....even in heaven.

I would like to add in case it is not obvious; the whole entertainment industry as well as the slippery pole of 'success' is built on the principle of 'look at me, look at me'