Bible alone?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you cannot know the Bible by the sola of Bible alone then the sola is a false doctrine, and we can only rely on what the Bible actually provides which is the teaching authority of the apostles and their successors!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 Acts 8:31
Jn 8:32 Jn 16:13
Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20
acts 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine, not in the Bible alone!

2nd Timothy Group

Nov 8, 2020
Cashmere
www.youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you cannot know the Bible by the sola of Bible alone then the sola is a false doctrine, and we can only rely on what the Bible actually provides which is the teaching authority of the apostles and their successors!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 Acts 8:31
Jn 8:32 Jn 16:13
acts 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine, not in the Bible alone!

Hi there! I noticed the word Sola that you used. I've heard that before . . . something Sola-feda . . . Sorry. I'm not saying or writing that correctly. With your being Catholic, can you help me understand that perspective a little? Thank you! Thank you! I love learning about what others believe!!!!

Thanks again, and I really look forward to learning with and from you. :)

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They didn't have a bible back then. They had the scriptures.
The Apostles letters were written to explain the scriptures fully to both Jew and Gentile.
The Old Testament (scripture) foretold of the coming Messiah, with language in the Books of Moses,
the Psalms and the Prophets.
It was the Apostles mission to bring to light the meanings of those prophecies, and sayings.
So, it is not the Apostles doctrine we are to walk in, rather it is The Word of the Lord.
That's the whole bible. Old and New.
And we are to compare the new to the old. And if the shoe don't fit...
don't walk in it..

HUGS

Reactions: 2nd Timothy Group

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi there! I noticed the word Sola that you used. I've heard that before . . . something Sola-feda . . . Sorry. I'm not saying or writing that correctly. With your being Catholic, can you help me understand that perspective a little? Thank you! Thank you! I love learning about what others believe!!!!

Thanks again, and I really look forward to learning with and from you. :)

me too! We believe what God reveals
The fullness of faith is revealed by God thru Christ to Peter and the apostles and their successors!

Teaching authority of the Apostles and their successors in the church founded in the one true founded by Jesus Christ!

Jesus Christ is the head of the church, (eph 5:23) the body of Christ,
(col 1:18) the new and eternal covenant, (pre-figured Jer 31:31) (Heb 8:8) new covenant replaces the Mosaic covenant, (Heb 8:13) Christ replaces David as king, (Lk 1:32-33) Jesus Christ is the only mediator between God and men, (1 Tim 2:5 & Heb 12:24) but a mediator remains on earth mediating between God and His people, but Christ ascended to heaven, (acts 1) before He did He founded His church, on Peter, and the apostles, and their successors!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 2:42 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 16:13

We must be taught by Peter, the apostles, and their successors! Lk 10:16 Matt 28:19 Jn 21:17

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Lk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Acts 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

————————-

The obedience of faith!

Rom 1:5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name.

Taught the one true faith revealed by Christ to His apostles! Eph 4:5 Jude 1:3
——————————-

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Jo 2:26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
1Jo 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Amen

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The apostle is speaking the apostles (you fathers) who have the anointing of the HS and which Jn 8:32 and Jn 16:13 apply and also to the little children ( the faithful or believers) who need the teaching of the fathers as it says in matt 28:19 apostles are to teach also Lk 1:2 delivered to us! were instructed! Lk 1:4
Acts 8 Philip (the apostle) preached Jesus and the result is Christian baptism
Also he says how can I know unless a man (the apostles Lk 10:16 mt 28:19) guide me?

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The apostle is speaking the apostles (you fathers) who have the anointing of the HS and which Jn 8:32 and Jn 16:13 apply and also to the little children ( the faithful or believers) who need the teaching of the fathers as it says in matt 28:19 apostles are to teach also Lk 1:2 delivered to us! were instructed! Lk 1:4
Acts 8 Philip (the apostle) preached Jesus and the result is Christian baptism
Also he says how can I know unless a man (the apostles Lk 10:16 mt 28:19) guide me?
This is before Pentacost, before God sent His Holy Spirit to teach us.
We are all HIS disciples, not man's.
However, if you feel more comfortable being led by man than God, that is your decision, and perhaps the path God has put you on.
Read the Bible for yourself and get to know him face to face and not through the teachings of men.

I'm not arguing here..
Not giving you a hard time..
There are some who say you can only follow the Apostles doctrine.
But there is much more to learn than what they have written.
There are the Prophets, and the books of Moses, and the Psalms.
These also teach us about our Lord and Savior.
The Holy Spirit will lead you and teach you all things.
Ask and ye shall receive..

HUGS

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is before Pentacost, before God sent His Holy Spirit to teach us.
We are all HIS disciples, not man's.
However, if you feel more comfortable being led by man than God, that is your decision, and perhaps the path God has put you on.
Read the Bible for yourself and get to know him face to face and not through the teachings of men.

I'm not arguing here..
Not giving you a hard time..
There are some who say you can only follow the Apostles doctrine.
But there is much more to learn than what they have written.
There are the Prophets, and the books of Moses, and the Psalms.
These also teach us about our Lord and Savior.
The Holy Spirit will lead you and teach you all things.
Ask and ye shall receive..

HUGS

that’s not what the Bible and Paul say
1 Corinthians 11
Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ. Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you. But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God. ...

no it does not apply only at Pentecost
Jn 20:21-23 the apostles received the HS
And acts 2:42 is after Pentecost

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that’s not what the Bible and Paul say
1 Corinthians 11
Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ. Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you. But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God. ...

no it does not apply only at Pentecost
Jn 20:21-23 the apostles received the HS
And acts 2:42 is after Pentecost
Have you received the Holy Spirit?
Have you been baptised and born again?

HUGS

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was 16! 16 days old
you was sprinkled but not dunked?
I was baptised in the Catholic church. I made my first communion.
At 18 I became a baptist and was fully immersed under water.
That day I died to self and was raised to life in Christ.
The Holy Spirit has been leading me ever since, even though sometimes I wander off the path,
He always leads me back.

Much Love
HUGS

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you was sprinkled but not dunked?
I was baptised in the Catholic church. I made my first communion.
At 18 I became a baptist and was fully immersed under water.
That day I died to self and was raised to life in Christ.
The Holy Spirit has been leading me ever since, even though sometimes I wander off the path,
He always leads me back.

Much Love
HUGS

where does the Bible say that?

Christian baptism even for infants only requires the proper minister, (priest) except cases of emergency)
The mater (clean running water) poured, sprinkled or immersed
And the form (words) I baptize you in the name of the father of the son and of the Holy Spirit!

no you don’t need to be baptized like Jesus, there’s no Jordan river in Texas and John the Baptist is not available!

And you can only be baptized once with Christian baptism eph 4:5

there is one flock one true church founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles and their successors Matt 16:18 18:18 Jn 10:16

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John preached the baptism of repentence.
You know what repentence is?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If there is no need for repentance and no possibility for repentance then it must not be required!

but baptism is still required even for infants, Jn 3:5

the little one believes, and the parents believe and the parents make a promise to raise the child in the faith, teaching them the faith, then at the age of reason the child is confirmed in the faith

acts 2:38 still has the promise for you and your children

Acts 16:15 does not say except infants

2nd Timothy Group

Nov 8, 2020
Cashmere
www.youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
me too! We believe what God reveals
The fullness of faith is revealed by God thru Christ to Peter and the apostles and their successors!

Teaching authority of the Apostles and their successors in the church founded in the one true founded by Jesus Christ!

Jesus Christ is the head of the church, (eph 5:23) the body of Christ,
(col 1:18) the new and eternal covenant, (pre-figured Jer 31:31) (Heb 8:8) new covenant replaces the Mosaic covenant, (Heb 8:13) Christ replaces David as king, (Lk 1:32-33) Jesus Christ is the only mediator between God and men, (1 Tim 2:5 & Heb 12:24) but a mediator remains on earth mediating between God and His people, but Christ ascended to heaven, (acts 1) before He did He founded His church, on Peter, and the apostles, and their successors!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 2:42 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 16:13

We must be taught by Peter, the apostles, and their successors! Lk 10:16 Matt 28:19 Jn 21:17

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Lk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Acts 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

————————-

The obedience of faith!

Rom 1:5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name.

Taught the one true faith revealed by Christ to His apostles! Eph 4:5 Jude 1:3
——————————-

Thank you, theefaith, for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas, not just with me, but with all. I'm hoping that in the future you will be able to give me even more insight to what Catholics believe. I love to listen to the thoughts, ideas and beliefs of others . . . being open to everyone is very, very helpful in my ability to learn, grow, and change.

Thank you so much!

2nd Timothy Group

Nov 8, 2020
Cashmere
www.youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
no you don’t need to be baptized like Jesus, there’s no Jordan river in Texas and John the Baptist is not available!

Ha! I like that. I often suggest that a person can be baptized into Christ even if that person were on the frozen side of Mt Everest, where sufficient water cannot be produce for baptism. And like you said, I also believe that even if we're in the desert where the is no water, we can still be baptized into Christ. :)

2nd Timothy Group

Nov 8, 2020
Cashmere
www.youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John preached the baptism of repentence.

Hey Ziggy! Have you ever wondered if John the B had a different kind of baptism? Perhaps one similar to Christ, where Jesus lifts the Sin Nature as described in Colossians 2:9-15? Check out these crazy verses about John's Baptism . . . it's wild stuff!

Luke 7:29-30 NLT - "When they heard this, all the people--even the tax collectors--agreed that God's way was right, for they had been baptized by John. 30 But the Pharisees and experts in religious law rejected God's plan for them, for they had refused John's baptism."

There seems to be something unusual about John's Baptism that would take away the confusion that only the Curse of Adam and Eve can bring . . . the Curse of the Sin Nature, or, the Mind of the Devil.

This is an amazing thing to consider! I love our Bible so much!!

Reactions: Ziggy

2nd Timothy Group

Nov 8, 2020
Cashmere
www.youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If there is no need for repentance and no possibility for repentance then it must not be required!

This is an interesting idea, for John the B was indwelt by the Spirit from within his mother's womb, Elizabeth. And how about king David, who was being taught, by the Spirit, even from within the "secret place?"

Psalm 51:6 NIV - "Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb; you taught me wisdom in that secret place."

If Christ lifted the Curse and Adam and Eve from a person's soul, where is the need for repentance? - Truly, we have an amazing Bible. There is so much to consider and think about . . . our Bible is amazing. :)