Bible Study: 1 John

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Introduction
1 We proclaim to you the one who existed from the beginning, whom we have heard and seen. We saw him with our own eyes and touched him with our own hands. He is the Word of life. 2 This one who is life itself was revealed to us, and we have seen him. And now we testify and proclaim to you that he is the one who is eternal life. He was with the Father, and then he was revealed to us. 3 We proclaim to you what we ourselves have actually seen and heard so that you may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ. 4 We are writing these things so that you may fully share our joy.

John writing to his audience in the first verse in reminding them of the one whom they had known, who existed in from the beginning, whom we have heard and seen: Jesus who was the Word of God, who came down from heaven, and whom the Apostles had witnessed first hand, having heard and seen him being with him for his 3 years ministry. John writes to establish that He (Jesus) is the Word of life. (God is life, and the Word that came from him also was of life).

In the second verse, This one is the life (Spiritual life / Bread from Heaven ) itself was revealed to us (through flesh being born in flesh named Jesus) and we have seen him. And we testify and procliam to you that he is the one who is eternal life. (Jesus) was (as the Word first) with the Father, and then he was revealed to us.

In the third verse John goes on to say, We proclaim to you what we ourselves have actually seen and heard (Testimony of being with Jesus), so that you may have fellowship with us. And our Fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son, Jesus Christ (Did you know that?)

The reason for John writing to these believers, little children, beloved in his day in age, was to write these things so that they may be able to fully share the Apostles joy, that is always found in fellowshiping with the Father, and with His Son.​

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Living in the Light
5 This is the message we heard from Jesus and now declare to you: God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all. 6 So we are lying if we say we have fellowship with God but go on living in spiritual darkness; we are not practicing the truth. 7 But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.

8 If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. 9 But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we are calling God a liar and showing that his word has no place in our hearts.

In the fifth verse This is the message we heard from Jesus and now declare to you: God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all.

John makes it very clear what was heard from Jesus; God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all. Jesus said in John 8:12 : Again Jesus spoke unto them saying " I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life. " This comes with the Christian walk of life with Christ, if one follows after Jesus, will not walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life with-in them and by following Jesus, we are following the one whom is the Light of the World.

In the sixth verse: John writes; So we are lying if we say we have fellowship with God, but go on living in spiritual darkness (Or walking in the dark, which is a hiding away from the light - perhaps hiding away from God, hiding away from Jesus (who brings forth spiritual life and light). We are not practicing truth. Notice that John uses the word practice, people who go to play sports have to practice to get good at the sport they are trying to achieve furtherance in enduring they have to practice and work their muscles out to be efficient (it is exactly the same thing for us to work out our spiritual muscles out to be efficient - to feed off the Lord Jesus Christ, and his light, and not hide away from the truth, hide away from Jesus, or hide away from God)​

7 But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.

8 If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. 9 But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we are calling God a liar and showing that his word has no place in our hearts.

In the seventh verse: If we are living in the light (walking in the light being honest before our Creator, and before our Father, and before the Lord Jesus Christ in this life as we suffer to dying to our will in which we allow God to work with us and allow his will to be done through this suffering), (example thing of how creatures of the darkness hide when the light comes on in the kitchen say Cockroaches). So if (if) by making the choice to walk in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, cleanses from all sin. Therefore if one makes the choice to walk in the light, as God is in the light, then fellowship with come to be had with others through this life, believers or non-believers (Either way), Fellowship is meant to be had with all people, and because of this the blood of Jesus, His Son (Gods Son), cleanses us from all sin.

In the eighth verse, If we claim to have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. Paul mentions in Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, who is the glory of God and who makes us right with God by faith in Him? Jesus Christ the Son of God the Lord, who makes us right with God in which we can have peace with God, even through our trials and sufferings that come by and through means of living in the light walking with God, walking with the Lord Jesus Christ. If we claim "we have no sin" we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. John makes this statement to remind his audience that no one is free or guilty of not having sin, and anyone claiming that they are fooling themselves and they are not walking in truth.​

9 But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we are calling God a liar and showing that his word has no place in our hearts.

In the ninth verse, But if we confess our sins to him (If we confess our sins to God - to be honest before our Father due to our falling short, it is a good thing to do with a relationship with the one who Created you, and gave you life), God is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all wickedness. Where does sin come from? Jesus stated it the best I believe found in (Mark 7:21-23), and also Paul mentions the world of the flesh and also the spirit in all it does (Galatians 5:17-26; Colossians 3:1-20). Even though we may fail, it depends on what I individual heart is set upon, is it set upon the things of this life, or the things of the hereafter. If we confess to God what is in our heart, and what holds us down, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and cleanse (our hearts) from all wickedness.

In the tenth verse, If we can claim we have not sinned, we are calling God a liar, and showing that his word has no place in our hearts. Just mentioned prior is our confessing before God and his faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all wickedness (that may resides in the heart/mind/will/emotion (Soul?). If we claim we have no sinned, we are calling our Father a liar, and showing that his word has no place in our hearts. The question here for people who are looking to walk in the light of the world (walking with God, walking with the Lord Jesus Christ), is what is in ones heart?​

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate who pleads our case before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who is truly righteous. 2 He himself is the sacrifice that atones for our sins—and not only our sins but the sins of all the world.

3 And we can be sure that we know him if we obey his commandments. 4 If someone claims, “I know God,” but doesn’t obey God’s commandments, that person is a liar and is not living in the truth. 5 But those who obey God’s word truly show how completely they love him. That is how we know we are living in him. 6 Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did.

Chapter Two, verse one John still writing from what he was previously talking about how it important to walk in the light, and walk with God, and walk in Christ. He says to the 'dear children', he is writing to so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate who pleads our case before our Father. John is encouraging them to not practice Sin, or to practice in walking in darkness, or to practice hiding away from God, our Father. The advocate we have between us and the Father is Jesus Christ, the one who is truly righteous. (Jesus is the righteousness of God - whom we put our faith and trust in daily and he is our advocate to deliver up our prayers on our behalf to the Father whom we worship).

In the second verse, John continues to write, that Jesus himself is the sacrifice that atones for our sins-- and not only our sins but the sins of all the world. This is a confirmation of the Lord Jesus having paid the price of sin once on the cross, not only for those who are 'dear children' but even for unbelievers who have yet to come to have faith or belief (though even as we being dear children, John mentions that if we claim not to have sin, we make God to be a liar and we are fooling ourselves). It is Jesus who makes us right with God and when we do fall short, we are able to have the advocate that is Jesus to come and deliver up our prayers to the Father, who is Faithful and just to forgive us of our sins, which Jesus sacrifice atones for all peoples sins, even of all the whole world (KOSMOS) itself).
3 And we can be sure that we know him if we obey his commandments. 4 If someone claims, “I know God,” but doesn’t obey God’s commandments, that person is a liar and is not living in the truth. 5 But those who obey God’s word truly show how completely they love him. That is how we know we are living in him. 6 Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did.

In the third verse, John continues onward saying We can be sure we know him if we obey his commandments. This is something some people have a problem with. John says plainly, we can be sure that we know him (Jesus) if we obey his commandments. Did you know that before? We know Jesus, if we obey his commandments. (You are justified by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, however you personally know him by obey his commandments and what are those commandments to believe on the one God had sent and to love your neighbor as yourself - anything more than this is perhaps your own sanctification process between you and God) (We know we are not justified by the Law but are justified by Jesus who has fulfilled the Law, and we obey his commandments in which we believe on the one who God sent, and to love one another).

In the fourth verse John notes that If anyone claims , "I know God" but doesn't obey God's commandments, that person is a liar, and is not living in the truth. Thus we have a statement here that if anyone Claims that they know God, but doesn't obey God's commandments (to love God and to love others), that person is a liar. They are not living in the truth.

In the fifth verse But those who obey God's word truly show how completely they love him. That is how we know that we are living in him. John says that if one obeys God's word truly show how completely they love him, through action, and that is how one knows that we are living in God, or allowing the spirit of Christ to live in you, and allowing the very Spirit of God to reside in you by faith in the Gospel of Christ.

In the sixth verse 6 Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did. Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did, How is this? By walking in the light, with Christ, with God, not hiding in the darkness, not hiding from God, being open and honest with God in your relationship with Him, and having love for others.​

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
7 Dear friends, I am not writing a new commandment for you; rather it is an old one you have had from the very beginning. This old commandment—to love one another—is the same message you heard before. 8 Yet it is also new. Jesus lived the truth of this commandment, and you also are living it. For the darkness is disappearing, and the true light is already shining.

In the seventh verse, John continues writing, saying dear friends, I am not writing a new commandment for you; rather it is an old one you have had from the very beginning, 1 John 3:11;2 John 1:5. This old commandment-- to love one another -- is the same message you heard before. *John 13:34; John 15:12.

In the eighth verse John stated Yet it is also new. Jesus lived the truth of this commandment, and you are also living it. For the darkness is disappearing, and the true light is shining. Jesus lived the truth of loving others, through him we receive newness of life, the Holy spirit of God that lives with-in the believer, and the Spirit of Christ lives through the believer, the darkness that once was, starts to disappear, and the true light begins to shine through becoming a new Creature in Christ, where we are raised again to new life, and our old life is dead being crucified on the Cross with Christ.​

9 If anyone claims, “I am living in the light,” but hates a fellow believer, that person is still living in darkness. 10 Anyone who loves a fellow believer is living in the light and does not cause others to stumble. 11 But anyone who hates a fellow believer is still living and walking in darkness. Such a person does not know the way to go, having been blinded by the darkness.

In the ninth verse, John goes forward, stating that if (if) anyone claims "I am living in the light," but hates a fellow believer that person still is living in darkness. Thus the darkness resides in our hearts, anyone stating "I am living in the light, but (hates) a fellow believer, that person is still living in darkness. The only light that shines through is when we are obeying the commandment that was given by the Lord Jesus Christ, is when we love God with all of our mind, our heart, and all our strength and love our neighbor as yourself, we know our relationship is truly with the Father and our fellowship is with Him, and his Son.

In the tenth verse, John says Anyone who loves a fellow believer is living in the light and does not cause others to stumble. This word for Stumble is skandalon - which means to trap, snare, making a scandal out of something. John is saying that anyone who loves a fellow believer is living in the light and does not cause others to stumble (I am reminded of how Pharisees and Scribes, Sadducees that came up to Jesus to try to cause him to stumble).

In the eleventh verse, But anyone who hates a fellow believer, is still living and walking in darkness. Such a person does not know the way to go, having been blinded by the darkness. Thus not walking in the Light, of God, of the Lord Jesus Christ, and are still spiritually blind, and being obscure in their walk and with-in them the heart still needs to be worked on and only the Father in heaven is able to work on the hearts and minds of others if they will allow Him to work on them, a self-made decision.​

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
12 I am writing to you who are God’s children
because your sins have been forgiven through Jesus.
13 I am writing to you who are mature in the faith
because you know Christ, who existed from the beginning.
I am writing to you who are young in the faith
because you have won your battle with the evil one.

In verse twelve through fourteen John is addressing why he is writing. In verse twelve, I am writing to you who are God's children (Little children), because your sins have been forgiven through Jesus. This is something that we can have confidence in knowing, and that Jesus had paid for the price for all sin though it is up to individuals if they are going to seek out truth of God, and of the Lord Jesus (Yeshua): John 14:6. In Christ Jesus, is where our sins have been forgives, is where salvation is found - Hebrews 7.

In verse thirteen John states, that he is writing to those who are mature in the faith, because you know Christ, who existed from the beginning (John 1:1), and he is addressing them as being mature (elders in the faith), who have been walking in faith for sometime, and walk with God, walking with the Lord Jesus Christ, in the light, and not hiding from God, or the Lord Jesus Christ in darkness, having fellowship with God and the Lord, and having also fellowship with one another as they live in this period of time. They understand and know Christ, who existed from the beginning.

In verse thirteen John also states he is writing to you who are young in the faith, because you have won your battle with the evil one. This statement of the evil one - is not necessarily talking about Satan, or the Devil here specifically but is talking about - perhaps those who have been giving them trouble, (persons that are of the darkness / Persons in that day in age perhaps of the devil himself (before the devil was done away with found in Revelation 20), that give trouble to those in the light, especially in this day in age where Christians were slaughtered, or thrown out of synangoues - for proclaiming that Jesus is the Messiah.​

14 I have written to you who are God’s children
because you know the Father.
I have written to you who are mature in the faith
because you know Christ, who existed from the beginning.
I have written to you who are young in the faith
because you are strong.
God’s word lives in your hearts,
and you have won your battle with the evil one.

In the fourteenth verse John declares again I have written to you who are Gods Children (little children), because you know the Father. I have written to you who are mature (elders) in the faith because you know Christ, who existed from the beginning, I have written to you who are young in the faith because you are strong. God's word lives in your hearts, and you have won your battle with the evil one. (Ephesians 6:9-12) Still there would come a day in this day in age where the Devil and his demons would become done away with according to (Revelation 20). Though many people believe Satan and his demons are still running around, I have to be open and honest and relay that I personally believe that Satan and his demons have been overcome, by the victory of the Lord Jesus Christ, however darkness still very much does remain to this day.​

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do Not Love This World
15 Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. 16 For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world. 17 And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever.

In verse fifthteen John goes on to write, Do not love this world, nor the things it offers you, for when you love you do not have the Father in you.

The word for love here, is agapo; meaning to love (in a social or moral sense). Do not love this world, nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you.

In Verse sixteen For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and the pride in our achievements. In the King James Version of the bible; John writes For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life is not of the Father but is of the world.

John is making a clear distinction from the Earth (the world) and everything in it that is pleasing to our flesh, but is only earthly and not of the Heavenly, because he says these things are not of the Father, but are from this world.

In this life as we live, we are in constant bombardment of what the world gives us and it is enticing to our flesh and it can lead to us having pride, to having lust for the things that are pleasing to the flesh, and the pleasure of what the things in this world can give us. Really amazing stuff being written here by John, who was an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ, who sought after the things of heaven rather than the things of earth.

What do you think about this yourself when you think about it? All people in this life have a choice to chase after everything the world gives, or to go after the things that the Father gives which is always (good gifts from heaven and above according to the book of James in Chapter 1 of James).​

17 And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever.

In verse seventeen John goes on to write, that this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone (But --- Anyone), who (who) does? (does.) what pleases God will live forever. What is the will of God? To believe on the one whom God had sent, and who was resurrected from the dead, and to love your neighbor as yourself. Thus to become lowly, humble as a child, to look towards Jesus and keep our focus on him through out the rest of the years of our lives in that one day when we pass away from this world, (which everything along with it also will also pass away). Those (anyone) who does what please God will live forever, Jesus said that anyone who does the will of God is his brother, sister, or mother. The only thing that will last after this life are spiritual things, and as we live in this world we are to build up our spiritual treasures, Remember what Jesus said to set up our treasures in the heaven, not to set up our treasures here on the earth. Abiding in Christ are these things possible.​

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Introduction
1 We proclaim to you the one who existed from the beginning, whom we have heard and seen. We saw him with our own eyes and touched him with our own hands. He is the Word of life. 2 This one who is life itself was revealed to us, and we have seen him. And now we testify and proclaim to you that he is the one who is eternal life. He was with the Father, and then he was revealed to us. 3 We proclaim to you what we ourselves have actually seen and heard so that you may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ. 4 We are writing these things so that you may fully share our joy.

John writing to his audience in the first verse in reminding them of the one whom they had known, who existed in from the beginning, whom we have heard and seen: Jesus who was the Word of God, who came down from heaven, and whom the Apostles had witnessed first hand, having heard and seen him being with him for his 3 years ministry. John writes to establish that He (Jesus) is the Word of life. (God is life, and the Word that came from him also was of life).

In the second verse, This one is the life (Spiritual life / Bread from Heaven ) itself was revealed to us (through flesh being born in flesh named Jesus) and we have seen him. And we testify and procliam to you that he is the one who is eternal life. (Jesus) was (as the Word first) with the Father, and then he was revealed to us.

In the third verse John goes on to say, We proclaim to you what we ourselves have actually seen and heard (Testimony of being with Jesus), so that you may have fellowship with us. And our Fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son, Jesus Christ (Did you know that?)

The reason for John writing to these believers, little children, beloved in his day in age, was to write these things so that they may be able to fully share the Apostles joy, that is always found in fellowshiping with the Father, and with His Son.​

Hi Matt, I think my favorite verse of 1 Jn is 5:3. If anyone ever wonders if they love God, and at times I have, so it may be more common that we think, the verse helps you to see if you truly love God or not.

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
18 Dear children, the last hour is here. You have heard that the Antichrist is coming, and already many such antichrists have appeared. From this we know that the last hour has come. 19 These people left our churches, but they never really belonged with us; otherwise they would have stayed with us. When they left, it proved that they did not belong with us.

In the eighteenth verse John goes on to write again dear "little children", the last hour is here. This last hour can been seen as a referral to the last hour was nearing closer to the end of their time and age, you can see by the greek word used for the last - eskhatos - which means farthest, final (of place or time): -- ends of, last, latter end, lowest, uttermost. John points out that they have heard that the Antichrist is coming (some take Nero to be the Anti-Christ/beast), and already many such antichrists (those that follow him and are against Christ and even God himself in this day in age) have appeared. This was a warning from John to those people then in his day in age that had reached its nearing and final end, and may antichrists those against christ had appeared then and there. John goes on further emphasizing at the last sentence of verse 18: For this we know that the last hour has come.​

Smith Dictionary - Antichrist
An'tichrist. This term, antichrist, is employed by the apostle John alone, and is defined by him in a manner which leaves no doubt as to its intrinsic meaning. With regard to its application, there is less certainty. In the first passage — 1Jn_2:18 — in which it occurs, the apostle makes direct reference to the false Christs whose coming, it had been foretold, should mark the last days. In 1Jn_2:22, we find, "he is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son;" and still more positively, "every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of antichrist." Compare 2Jn_1:7.

From these emphatic and repeated definitions, it has been supposed that the object of the apostle in his first Epistle was to combat the errors of Cerinthus, the Docetae and the Gnostics on the subject of the Incarnation. (They denied the union of the divine and human in Christ).
The coming of Antichrist was (believed to be foretold in the "vile person" of Daniel's prophecy, Dan_11:21, which received its first accomplishment in Antiochus Epiphanes, but of which the complete fulfillment was reserved for the last times. He is identified with "the man of sin, the son of perdition." 2Th_2:3.

This interpretation brings Antichrist into close connection with the gigantic power of evil, symbolized by the "beast," Rev_13:1, who received his power from the dragon (that is, the devil, the serpent of Genesis), continued for forty and two months, and was invested with the kingdom of the ten kings who destroyed the harlot Babylon, Rev_17:12; Rev_17:17, the city of seven hills.

The destruction of Babylon is to be followed by the rule of Antichrist for a short period, Rev_17:10, to be in his turn overthrown in "the battle of that great day of God Almighty," Rev_16:14, with the false prophet and all his followers. Revelation 19.

The personality of Antichrist is to be inferred, as well, from the personality of his historical precursor, as from that of him to whom he stands opposed. Such an interpretation is to be preferred to that which regards Antichrist as the embodiment and personification of all powers and agencies inimical to Christ, or of the Antichristian might of the world.

19 These people left our churches, but they never really belonged with us; otherwise they would have stayed with us. When they left, it proved that they did not belong with us.

In verse 19, John goes on further saying that : These were once believers or perhaps people who came into the church to spy on them, either way, they ended up leaving the churches or went out not staying among the people and they never really belonged with us. Otherwise they would have stayed with us. When they had left, it proved that they did not belong to us. It was people that they knew that ended up leaving and following after the antichrist, perhaps because of the Antichrist that was coming was rising to power or soon to rise to power.​

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
20 But you are not like that, for the Holy One has given you his Spirit, and all of you know the truth. 21 So I am writing to you not because you don’t know the truth but because you know the difference between truth and lies. 22 And who is a liar? Anyone who says that Jesus is not the Christ. Anyone who denies the Father and the Son is an antichrist. 23 Anyone who denies the Son doesn’t have the Father, either. But anyone who acknowledges the Son has the Father also.

In verse twenty, after addressing those who had left from among them John goes on to mention to the ' little Children', that they are not like that, for the Holy One has given you his Spirit, and all of you know the truth.

John here mentions that they have been anointed by the Holy One (Yeshua; John 6:69;Acts 3:14), and that they know all things which this anointing of the Spirit of Christ is available to all believers.

In verse twenty-one John mentions I am writing to you because you do not know the truth, so he is not writing to correct them. He is writing to them because they know the truth because they know the difference between truth and lies. They knew that Jesus had come down from heaven, born of the virgin mary, they knew that he was going to return, and they knew about the spirit and that anyone coming up with a different version of this truth was a liar.

In verse twenty-two, John writes asking a question, then answering. Who is a liar? Anyone who says that Jesus is not the Christ. (Does that make everyone a liar now today just because they say they do not believe in the Lord Jesus Christ? -- I mean do not get me wrong, Jesus is the Christ but should people condemn others because perhaps they do not understand how Jesus is the anointed one?). In that day in age is was prevalent that Christians would die for professing faith, and it would be more appealing to live and not die by rejecting Christ. John also says anyone who denied the Father and the Son is an antichrist - simply put those who are unbelievers by their own choices, as some had been previously with some of them but left them and were not part of them.​

23 Anyone who denies the Son doesn’t have the Father, either. But anyone who acknowledges the Son has the Father also.

In verse twenty-three John acknowledges Anyone who denies the Son doesn't have the Father, either. But anyone who acknowledges the Son has the Father also. Simply put those who are believers, acknowledge the Son as the Christ, that He came down from heaven, was born of a fleshly body, Mary and Jospeh, born from Davids Seed, and had been sent from God to come and save the people of Israel only to be killed in which he paid for the sins of the world, but would return to bring forth judgement on that Nation of having killed the Son of God, which our own sins also put him there on the cross when you think about it, thank God that He did this freely of his own will, to fulfill the word of God in which we can now have newness of life, because Yeshua was raised from the dead, even after having paid for the sin, of all the world.​

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
24 Therefore let that abide in you which you heard from the beginning. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you also will abide in the Son and in the Father. 25 And this is the promise that He has promised us—eternal life.

26 These things I have written to you concerning those who try to deceive you. 27 But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.

In verse twenty-four John continues on writing to the 'little children' - Gods children, those believers in his day in age, to continue to abide in the truth which they had heard from the beginning (possibly alluding to what they had heard about Christ since the very first beginning before more false prophets, and antichrist had come in to their world (heaven - earth/ economy), and because of this they knew that it was the (last hour/nearing the end of their age and also the return of Christ. He encourages them to abide in what they heard about Yeshua Christ, and if what they heard from the beginning abides in you, you also will abide in the Son and in the Father.

Abiding in the Anointed on is to be in Him, allowing Yeshua to send you the holy spirit, comforter, and also allowing Yahweh to work in your heart and mind, you will know that you are abiding in the Son and in the Father.
25 And this is the promise that He has promised us—eternal life.

26 These things I have written to you concerning those who try to deceive you. 27 But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.

In verse twenty-five, John states that by abiding in Yeshua, and the Father, the promises is that He - has promised to give us - eternal life. One day we will leave this world and be translated into the Heavenly Realms and our hope through being made right by faith in the Lord Yeshua, is to go and be able to live with our Father, and the Lamb in the Heavenly Jerusalem. Amazing things to consider here.

In verse twenty-six the reason John points all these things out was to be aware of those who come to "try" and deceive you.

In verse twenty-seven But the anointing which you have received from Him (Jesus), abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in him (Jesus). John writes to these believers to encourage them to remain in what they were taught about the Gospel of Christ - that is the power of God unto salvation according to scripture.​

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
28 And now, little children, remain in him, that when he may be manifested, we may have boldness, and may not be ashamed before him, in his presence;

29 if ye know that he is righteous, know ye that every one doing the righteousness, of him hath been begotten.

In verse twenty-eight, John concludes, now little children, remain in him, (abiding in Christ), that when he may be manifested - (the spirit of Christ comes through you by abiding in him), you may have boldness, and may not be ashamed before (Christ), in his (Yeshua) presence.

In verse twenty-nine if you know that he is righteous, know ye that every doing the righteousness, of him have been begotten (become children of Yahweh, or becoming a Son or Daughter of Yahweh). With the Spirit of Christ abiding in life, the righteousness performed is from Christ which comes from abiding in the Lord Jesus Christ, and allowing the holy spirit (very spirit of Yahweh living in you), to work on your heard and mind, the righteousness performed is the righteousness of Christ and not of ourselves but it by abiding in Christ and he is manifested through us which happens by living in the Spirit of Christ, and the Holy Spirit. Because of the Lord Jesus Christ and having faith in Him and him being raised from the dead, you are made right with God in which you can have peace with God, there is still trials and troubles and struggles but to continue in Him is what the aim for the Christian life is, looking to worship and praise the Father in heaven, and be thankful towards the Lord Jesus Christ.​

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
3 Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. 2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

John moves forward in this letter, speaking to the believers in his day in age, saying in verse one, Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called the children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know him.

Those in that time were antichrist and opposing Christians, also preaching and teaching false things about Christ, and John has reminded them over and over again to hold on to what they had learned from by the holy spirit, and the spirit of Christ in the truths of the Gospel which had be preached to them by word of mouth, possibly or by use of a written Gospel which was sent out by John, Mark, Luke or Matthew in that day which they would share with others, most of the time preaching was done by word of mouth from previous experiences had having followed and lived with Jesus for 3 years during in his ministry, and Paul would also be taught by Jesus too for some years before he went out to spread the good news to the Gentiles once he was reborn and born again from above when the Lord had visited him. John makes it clear that we become children of God, when we become adopted by having faith, and not to forget the things that the Lord Yeshua had taught and preached.

The world (our flesh natural state without faith), is dead to the spiritual things in life, until they are born again by faith in which they become part of the kingdom of God when they are looking to seek out the truth about the Gospel of Christ of the life, death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus and they were also warned about his return to wait patiently for him to come save them from the destruction from the Wrath of God that would be coming upon the nation of Israel.​

2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

John in verse two goes on to say now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. (Perhaps an alluding to resurrection, being revealed? I am reminded of the Revelation of Jesus Christ that was from God that was given to John, which may have been the final letter he had written to the seven churches in Asia minor.

In verse three And everyone who has this hope in Him (Yeshua) purifies himself, just as He is pure. Talking about sanctification - individually between the person and God in knowing one day death would come and our hope is only in Christ Yeshua and to cling to him, and allow God to work in and through you to have love for God and love for others, and allow him to purify your mind and heart by your own individual participation.​

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Living in the Light
5 This is the message we heard from Jesus and now declare to you: God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all. 6 So we are lying if we say we have fellowship with God but go on living in spiritual darkness; we are not practicing the truth. 7 But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.

In the fifth verse This is the message we heard from Jesus and now declare to you: God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all.

John makes it very clear what was heard from Jesus; God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all. Jesus said in John 8:12 : Again Jesus spoke unto them saying " I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life. " This comes with the Christian walk of life with Christ, if one follows after Jesus, will not walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life with-in them and by following Jesus, we are following the one whom is the Light of the World.

In the sixth verse: John writes; So we are lying if we say we have fellowship with God, but go on living in spiritual darkness (Or walking in the dark, which is a hiding away from the light - perhaps hiding away from God, hiding away from Jesus (who brings forth spiritual life and light). We are not practicing truth. Notice that John uses the word practice, people who go to play sports have to practice to get good at the sport they are trying to achieve furtherance in enduring they have to practice and work their muscles out to be efficient (it is exactly the same thing for us to work out our spiritual muscles out to be efficient - to feed off the Lord Jesus Christ, and his light, and not hide away from the truth, hide away from Jesus, or hide away from God)​

7 But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.

In the seventh verse: If we are living in the light (walking in the light being honest before our Creator, and before our Father, and before the Lord Jesus Christ in this life as we suffer to dying to our will in which we allow God to work with us and allow his will to be done through this suffering), (example thing of how creatures of the darkness hide when the light comes on in the kitchen say Cockroaches). So if (if) by making the choice to walk in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, cleanses from all sin. Therefore if one makes the choice to walk in the light, as God is in the light, then fellowship with come to be had with others through this life, believers or non-believers (Either way), Fellowship is meant to be had with all people, and because of this the blood of Jesus, His Son (Gods Son), cleanses us from all sin.

In the eighth verse, If we claim to have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. Paul mentions in Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, who is the glory of God and who makes us right with God by faith in Him? Jesus Christ the Son of God the Lord, who makes us right with God in which we can have peace with God, even through our trials and sufferings that come by and through means of living in the light walking with God, walking with the Lord Jesus Christ. If we claim "we have no sin" we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. John makes this statement to remind his audience that no one is free or guilty of not having sin, and anyone claiming that they are fooling themselves and they are not walking in truth.​

9 But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we are calling God a liar and showing that his word has no place in our hearts.

In the ninth verse, But if we confess our sins to him (If we confess our sins to God - to be honest before our Father due to our falling short, it is a good thing to do with a relationship with the one who Created you, and gave you life), God is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all wickedness. Where does sin come from? Jesus stated it the best I believe found in (Mark 7:21-23), and also Paul mentions the world of the flesh and also the spirit in all it does (Galatians 5:17-26; Colossians 3:1-20). Even though we may fail, it depends on what I individual heart is set upon, is it set upon the things of this life, or the things of the hereafter. If we confess to God what is in our heart, and what holds us down, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and cleanse (our hearts) from all wickedness.

In the tenth verse, If we can claim we have not sinned, we are calling God a liar, and showing that his word has no place in our hearts. Just mentioned prior is our confessing before God and his faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all wickedness (that may resides in the heart/mind/will/emotion (Soul?). If we claim we have no sinned, we are calling our Father a liar, and showing that his word has no place in our hearts. The question here for people who are looking to walk in the light of the world (walking with God, walking with the Lord Jesus Christ), is what is in ones heart?​
Saying we have no sin is boasting against grace.

It does not mean having sin in Christ, in whom there is no sin.

Scripture does not say, them that have no sin, are decieved and have not the truth in them. That is not possible.

Walking in the Light is doing the truth and righteousness of God. Walking in darkness is committing sins of the devil against God.

Only them doing His righteousness are walking in His Light and righteous as He is: having no sin in their pure hearts.

And them committing sin of the devil cannot be born of God, nor having fellowship with God, at the same time as fellowshipping with the devil.

Would any man say that anyone fornicating can be also a born son of God, and not of the devil, while they are fornicating?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing Robert. In that day in age the devil was very active feeding people over to death and to the grave, and some followed after death instead of life. Today I believe we still wrestle around with darkness, we also wrestle around with our (soul) fhe mind/will/emotion, and we wrestle with our Flesh, according to Paul. Thank God we are saved by grace through faith, because we still all sin, even the Apostle Paul wasn’t afraid to admit that he too was a slave to sin, but it is the sin in him that is causing him to do the sinful action and it is not really him.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing Robert. In that day in age the devil was very active feeding people over to death and to the grave, and some followed after death instead of life. Today I believe we still wrestle around with darkness, we also wrestle around with our (soul) fhe mind/will/emotion, and we wrestle with our Flesh, according to Paul. Thank God we are saved by grace through faith, because we still all sin, even the Apostle Paul wasn’t afraid to admit that he too was a slave to sin, but it is the sin in him that is causing him to do the sinful action and it is not really him.
No sin and the devil didn't make you sin- you decide to sin or obey God- its your choice.

James 1
When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14 but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. 15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

Reactions: amigo de christo

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing your insights, it according to Paul, he stated himself about how he was a slave to sin, and it was the sin in him causing it, so thus sometimes sin comes back alive in our lives when we should be dead to it, by being dead in Christ and also raised again in Christ and live by the spirit. As you have shared in your response with James, you’re correct it comes from our own desires and lists, and it gives birth to sin when we act upon it causes spiritual quenching, and that is when it is good for us to confess what wrongs we have done to the Father in heaven and he is faithful and just to forgive us and cleanse our heart. It not the devil, or demons that cause people to sin. Iit is the sin that hasn’t yet be taken care of or overcame yet in their flesh. All people sin every day in some way or fashion and the only way to be made right with God is by faith in the Gospel of Christ, in which we are given a new creation (new spiritual birth as a child of God), and we should feed off of the word and allow God to renew our mind and our hearts living a life in which he would desire for one to have, living in righteousness; (which is allowing ourselves to participate with our relationship with Yahweh and telling him everything and also asking him for help and wisdom and asking him to be with others on behalf of just asking our Father to take care of people in this life, allowing the love of God to flow through us through Yeshua).

Not easy to accept.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing your insights, it according to Paul, he stated himself about how he was a slave to sin, and it was the sin in him causing it, so thus sometimes sin comes back alive in our lives when we should be dead to it, by being dead in Christ and also raised again in Christ and live by the spirit. As you have shared in your response with James, you’re correct it comes from our own desires and lists, and it gives birth to sin when we act upon it causes spiritual quenching, and that is when it is good for us to confess what wrongs we have done to the Father in heaven and he is faithful and just to forgive us and cleanse our heart. It not the devil, or demons that cause people to sin. Iit is the sin that hasn’t yet be taken care of or overcame yet in their flesh. All people sin every day in some way or fashion and the only way to be made right with God is by faith in the Gospel of Christ, in which we are given a new creation (new spiritual birth as a child of God), and we should feed off of the word and allow God to renew our mind and our hearts living a life in which he would desire for one to have, living in righteousness; (which is allowing ourselves to participate with our relationship with Yahweh and telling him everything and also asking him for help and wisdom and asking him to be with others on behalf of just asking our Father to take care of people in this life, allowing the love of God to flow through us through Yeshua).

Not easy to accept.
You are reading 1 John which talks about overcoming and victory. So if we sin every day then there is no victory, there is no overcoming and we are " practicing sin " according to 1 John. And we know what John has to say about those who practice sin.

hope this helps !!!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are reading 1 John which talks about overcoming and victory. So if we sin every day then there is no victory, there is no overcoming and we are " practicing sin " according to 1 John. And we know what John has to say about those who practice sin.

hope this helps !!!

Okay, I’m not totally sure you are understanding what I am saying. I’m not talking about or saying to anyone that they should practice sin. We do fall short of the glory of God in our flesh, and thus Yeshua is needed to be able to be made right with God. There are some that believe that they can be sinlessly perfect in the flesh, but we all fail sometimes, no matter if it is the preacher behind the pulpit.

Thank you for reaching out, Chris.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, I’m not totally sure you are understanding what I am saying. I’m not talking about or saying to anyone that they should practice sin. We do fall short of the glory of God in our flesh, and thus Yeshua is needed to be able to be made right with God. There are some that believe that they can be sinlessly perfect in the flesh, but we all fail sometimes, no matter if it is the preacher behind the pulpit.

Thank you for reaching out, Chris.
Is someone does the same thing each day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year and continues then it is a habit, a practice, a daily occurrence. So if its sin then its the opposite of what John tells us in every chapter in his epistle. Its the opposite of what Paul tells us in Galatians and 1 Corinthians about those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom. Jesus taught the same thing in the gospels and so did Peter and James.

PS- we must not make our experience take precedent over the clear teaching of scripture regarding sin and practicing sin. We must do just the opposite, scripture is the standard and we must conform our life to its standards not the other way around and make excuses for the way we live.

hope this helps !!!

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is someone does the same thing each day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year and continues then it is a habit, a practice, a daily occurrence. So if its sin then its the opposite of what John tells us in every chapter in his epistle. Its the opposite of what Paul tells us in Galatians and 1 Corinthians about those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom. Jesus taught the same thing in the gospels and so did Peter and James.

PS- we must not make our experience take precedent over the clear teaching of scripture regarding sin and practicing sin. We must do just the opposite, scripture is the standard and we must conform our life to its standards not the other way around and make excuses for the way we live.

hope this helps !!!

The best advice one could give to a person is to read their Bible at least, it is the only thing in this world we have aside from the Holy Spirit of God himself, and also The Spirit of the Anointed Yeshua, that lives inside because of faith on the only begotten Son of God whom God had sent, whom was put to death and be buried and to be resurrected again that we may be able to have newness of life by abiding in Him, and having an open and honest relationship before our Father through the Lord Jesus Christ.

Just because someone slips and perhaps sinned, God is not going to be so angry and wrathful to them because they did it, they will know what they have done wrong because God will bear it on their consciousness unless they decide to reject God, then God will give them full over to their own selves until they turn and change their mind and start having an active relationship with the Father again.

I believe in this realm we are participating in the ability to live either by the flesh or the spirit, the flesh will never be perfect, but in spirit people can become know from being children of God to Sons or Daughters of God by willingly actively participating in their relationship with God.

That is how new life is birth, from above, because of faith. Unbelievers need to understand this too, that it is because of Him (Yeshua) we are made right with God and if we desire to seek a relationship with him, first thing is to learn prayer the next thing is to be encouraged to read the Bible.

Thank you for pointing out some things and clarifications, Chris.