Bible Worship?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can a person worship the bible over God?

• Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You are satanic filth for even asking

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Secondhand Lion

Jan 30, 2012
People's Republic of Maryland
I have been thinking a lot lately about the bible and the study thereof.

I wanted to open this up for debate and hopefully some people will respond.

The questions are: Can someone study so much that it turns to worshiping the bible instead of God? Can there be study\living where it turns to worshiping the bible of the God instead of the God of the bible? Can the bible itself become an "idol" of sorts? Kind of like the cross tends to be sometimes, in my opinion.

I am not suggesting that we should never study to show ourselves approved. But is there a point...somewhere...that it becomes bible worship? I have run into quite a number of people that never take their nose out of the bible to live, to put what they are studying into "shoe leather". They often times end up "finding mysterious things that no one else has ever found that are 'hidden' in the bible". I could give some examples, even from this site, but I am not trying to "pick" on anyone in particular. It is almost like a "I know more than you do, so I am a better Christian" scenario.

These questions may seem crazy to some, if so, hammer away on me. The topic is bothering me, so I ask the questions. Hopefully we can have a good debate\discussion.

SL

Ps. To the moderators, I do not want anyone banned for answering that I am "satanic filth". I know your stance on that, but if you could give a little leeway, I would appreciate it. I put it as an option, so its okay if people call me that. :)

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I can't imagine worshiping the bible above the Word of God that it contains. The Word is alive, it practically has infinite hidden meanings that the Holy Spirit can reveal if he chooses. It allows us to have another form of fellowship with God, and for some this may be the only fellowship with God that they experience.

I think the following verse is applicable to bible study as well, because the words of Jesus are the same Word of God. Luke 10:38-42

Forsakenone

Dec 25, 2013
It is almost like a "I know more than you do, so I am a better Christian" scenario.
Myself, I enjoy hearing others teachings, after all what does Luke 13:35 say, but then again Luke 10:38... shows why Jesus is the King.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the term for what you are proposing is "bibliolatry." Personally, I think the concept is a little nonsensical by scholars who propose it. Certainly, I agree with you that one can study intensely without actually applying God's word to their life. However, I don't think that would be making an idol of the Bible. Rather, I think that would be NOT truly worshipping the Word of God. If someone really worships the Word, how can they ignore its teaching?

It is true also that we can get puffed up in knowledge. However, I think these types of issues have to do with a person's heart and not really focusing too much on God's Word. As I read the Psalms, it seems to me that we are called to love God's Word, meditate on it day and night and never let it depart from us. I don't think someone can study the Word too much, but I do think they can study it for the wrong reasons or not apply its message to their life. These are two separate problems in my mind and so I reject the notion of bibliolatry.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Wormwood beat me to it....there is indeed a term for this phenomenon.

What I see a lot of is Christians who get to the point where they believe their reading of the Bible is infallible and beyond question. IOW, their personal interpretation becomes akin to God.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
If we know Christ as our savior, why do we have to study Him?...BUT..we do and enjoy it. We do it to keep fueled up for the daily battles we face. If we study the bible and don't know Jesus personally, what good is that? might as well be studying a history book.
How many scholars have laid waste their entire life but never came to Christ. It's nice you say you believe in Me...But so do the demons.....yet they shutter at the sound of my name.
Not to many Christians, or those who call themselves Christians...shutter :)
We are the fishers of men
I am personally a bible thumpin, tongue talkin, devil stompin man of God...However....The bible is the last thing I bring out. The first thing, is telling the lost of all the JAW DROPPIN miracles I've seen since I have come to know Jesus. After someone has been saved, then, yes...the bible now makes more since to them......the Holy Spirit is on board, activated, engaged and ready to roll :)
Don't get me wrong...we have bible studies at my home every week...why....because we are thankful that we are forgiven. SO,WE LOVE MUCH :)
Oh...and by the way....Thank God He gave me a bad memory...I can't memerorize a scripture, or remember where a scripture is located in the bible to save my life :) So, I'm terrible at debating. BUT They see the passion, and what a passion you have...when you have been set free.
HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Secondhand Lion

Jan 30, 2012
So far everyone has answered no. I find that interesting. As I have prayerfully considered it and studied it, I think you are all wrong (those who have voted). I think it is a very real thing and practiced more than you may think.

The Lord led me to Matthew 23 for the answer. These are people who are nailing the word of God to a tee, but not for God's sake. They miss the weightier part. They are worshiping the word, not the Word.

What do you think?

SL

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.... And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us" (John 1:1&14). If the bible is God's Word, then adhering to the Word is tantamount to worshipping God. We know God through His Word, so I voted "No" since one does not have precedence over the other. Jesus said that if you know me (Word), you know my Father (John 14:7). We don't worship the bible per se, but what (who) the book reveals to us. jmo

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Secondhand Lion said:
So far everyone has answered no. I find that interesting. As I have prayerfully considered it and studied it, I think you are all wrong (those who have voted). I think it is a very real thing and practiced more than you may think.

The Lord led me to Matthew 23 for the answer. These are people who are nailing the word of God to a tee, but not for God's sake. They miss the weightier part. They are worshiping the word, not the Word.

What do you think?

SL
SL,

Yes, I considered that Scripture. However, I don't think Jesus was faulting the Pharisees and teachers of the Law for their study and love for the Scriptures. He was faulting them for not seeing that he was the fulfillment of the Scriptures and they would not come to Him. Their sin was not in their passion for the word of God, but for their failure to see that the word of God pointed to Jesus. I think a person who is passionate for the Scriptures can miss the real point of the Scriptures and thus not find life in them. However, I don't think a person can be too passionate or too focused on the Scriptures which results in sin... as is reflected upon in the OP.

Secondhand Lion

Jan 30, 2012
Dan57 said:
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.... And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us" (John 1:1&14). If the bible is God's Word, then adhering to the Word is tantamount to worshipping God. We know God through His Word, so I voted "No" since one does not have precedence over the other. Jesus said that if you know me (Word), you know my Father (John 14:7). We don't worship the bible per se, but what (who) the book reveals to us. jmo
I agree with this wholeheartedly. What I am referring to is taking it too far, not the "normal" bible study or interactions with God. Isn't there a point where you take it too far and worship the idea not the God? We are not discussing adherence, that is our responsibility as Christians. We are discussing the concept of being something other than a focus on God. It is less adherence and a looking to who wrote it as instruction and following for following sake. I am having an extremely difficult time putting what I mean into words.

SL
Wormwood said:
SL,

Yes, I considered that Scripture. However, I don't think Jesus was faulting the Pharisees and teachers of the Law for their study and love for the Scriptures. He was faulting them for not seeing that he was the fulfillment of the Scriptures and they would not come to Him. Their sin was not in their passion for the word of God, but for their failure to see that the word of God pointed to Jesus. I think a person who is passionate for the Scriptures can miss the real point of the Scriptures and thus not find life in them. However, I don't think a person can be too passionate or too focused on the Scriptures which results in sin... as is reflected upon in the OP.
Wormwood,

You raise good points. I am not intentionally being vague....I can not find the words to describe what I am saying. I'm sorry. I will search for them.

I am certainly not suggesting we should not have a deep love for the scriptures and hang onto them with everything we have. I believe we should, but I have got to find the words to describe what I am talking about.

SL

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
SL,

I understand. I think we are probably saying the same thing in different ways. I think both of us are claiming that we should love the Word of God with all that we are, but we should make sure that we don't lose sight of why we study the Word. I just don't know that missing the purpose of the Scriptures is sometimes the result of too much study. I don't know if there can be such a thing as too much study of God's Word. I believe that those who study the Scriptures a lot or a little can both be guilty of missing the forest for the trees. I may be partial in this area though. I tend to lean more toward study :).

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
My vote is no, but it is an interesting question. Bibliolatry is an accusation I've heard from some fellow Catholics to describe Protestants. It's as ridiculous as the accusation of Mariolatry that SOME Protestants make of Catholics. At the heart of this issue is whether or not the elements and the people in the kingdom of God are set against each other in competition. Is the Bible pitted against God? Is the Mother of God pitted against God? Such contentions define our existence in this world, but it is breathtakingly absent in the kingdom of God, for God is glorified in all his creatures, his saints, his angels, and in the sacraments. There exists in heaven a pluperfect unity that cannot be compromised in the slightest.

I've heard a Catholic apologist answer the question of whether somebody can be so devoted to the Blessed Virgin as to put her above God. His response was brilliant. It's impossible because Mary brings us closer to the Savior, to be close to Mary is to be close to the Son she brought into the world for she is the font of salvation. I view the Bible the same way. It's the word of God and by its very nature brings us closer to God. There's no way to put it above God because there is no rivalry between God and his word, just like there's no rivalry between God and Mary....or any of the saints or angels for that matter.

To understand this is to understand the economy of heaven. It's a fool's notion that we are entrusted with the errand of ensuring God is glorified; that our misguided intentions have the power to misdirect glory appropriated to God. The self sufficiency of God is utterly independent of our efforts. Knowing this, we can relax, having relieved ourselves of a burden that was never ours to begin with. All glory goes to God and nothing hinders this. God is not in conflict with the things of God, therefore we can abandon ourselves to the things of God, such as the Bible, for it can only bring us closer to God.

We need not fear.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Vale,

I appreciate your point, but am not sure I agree. I am not accusing you of Mariolatry. However, Paul seemed to indicate that people could wrongly exalt servants of Christ in divisive and harmful ways. He seems quite distressed about this fact in 1 Corinthians 3.

“But I, brothers, could not address you as spiritual people, but as people of the flesh, as infants in Christ. I fed you with milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for it. And even now you are not yet ready, for you are still of the flesh. For while there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not of the flesh and behaving only in a human way? For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not being merely human?” (1 Corinthians 3:1–4, ESV)
“Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him. For God’s temple is holy, and you are that temple. Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is folly with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their craftiness,” and again, “The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.” So let no one boast in men. For all things are yours, whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours, and you are Christ’s, and Christ is God’s.” (1 Corinthians 3:16–23, ESV)
Again, my point here is not to accuse you of anything. However, there does seem to be the reality of people focusing on Apostles, and leaders of the church in an unhealthy way that took the emphasis off Christ and brought controversy, divisiveness and a misguided focus to the early churches. Certainly Peter, Paul, Mary and others should bring us closer to Christ (because that was their desire). However, people can exalt humans rather than God and be mislead as a result. This can even be true in local churches where pastors or individuals who are seeking to draw people to Christ can be idolized and exalted in an unhealthy way by those who follow them.

Just my thoughts.

Secondhand Lion

Jan 30, 2012
I thank everyone who is participating, as all points of view on this are needed for me to come to some conclusion for myself. I like reading other peoples thoughts on something I am "stuck" on.

I, like a lot of people, would have argued before that there is absolutely no way you could ever study too much. Since that time, I have run into a number of people who know the bible inside and out, they can quote verse after verse, but seem to misuse most of it. It appears (from my perspective), they know them "so well" that they start to see things that are not there and "tie" scriptures together that make no sense being tied together, and generally make some sort of disparaging comment about how you "just don't know scripture like they do". I do not generally "call people out", but maybe if I give this example people will understand more what I am talking about. The JW's know scripture very well, sadly, better than most of the Christians I run into, but they always miss the "weightier things". They seem to me to study scripture for scripture sake....or worse...just to be able to "hurt\hammer" people with it.

Going into what Vale points out: I agree that the Word of God will not come back void and at some moment, it may all "dawn on them", thus bringing them closer to God...but in the mean time....are they worshiping the bible?

I am trying to split a hair here, and maybe it is completely a heart attitude that only God knows, maybe it is not for me to know.

Another example would be the fascination for some with Acts 2:38. If you have any other explanation other than what they preach...you "hate Acts 2:38"....come on....give me a break. I don't make everyone need to be saved according to Galatians 5 because that is what God used to bring me to Him. Good grief.

Please keep responding, and anyone who has not yet chimed in who is reading, please do.

SL

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Wormwood said:
Vale,

I appreciate your point, but am not sure I agree. I am not accusing you of Mariolatry. However, Paul seemed to indicate that people could wrongly exalt servants of Christ in divisive and harmful ways. He seems quite distressed about this fact in 1 Corinthians 3.

Again, my point here is not to accuse you of anything. However, there does seem to be the reality of people focusing on Apostles, and leaders of the church in an unhealthy way that took the emphasis off Christ and brought controversy, divisiveness and a misguided focus to the early churches. Certainly Peter, Paul, Mary and others should bring us closer to Christ (because that was their desire). However, people can exalt humans rather than God and be mislead as a result. This can even be true in local churches where pastors or individuals who are seeking to draw people to Christ can be idolized and exalted in an unhealthy way by those who follow them.

Just my thoughts.
That is an important distinction and I'm glad you pointed it out. Here on earth, men can be put before God which is a textbook definition of a cult. It's when we gaze toward heaven and the things of heaven that we find absolutely no rivalries. Some of the most pious souls in the history of the church were those with a special devotion to one saint or another, or even the Blessed Virgin. In Protestant circles, I find those with the strongest devotion to the Bible are the closest in relationship to God and their lives bear much fruit. I see the same theme running through it all, that God and the instruments of heaven are in unassailable harmony drawing people to God in closer relationship. The more I see what we have to look forward to, the more I yearn for it. One day all contentions will cease forever and all of creation will bow before the Lord Jesus Christ and the perfect unity that exists in heaven will exist everywhere. Speed the day!