Biblical reconciliation: its proper meaning

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It would appear that at least some Christians are unclear about the biblical term "reconciliation". As a result they are also unclear about why Christians need to deal with their present sins in order to maintain fellowship with God.

The word "reconciliation" occurs in the King James Bible 8 times, which is 5 times in the Old Testament, and 3 times in the New Testament. The word "reconcile" occurs 5 times in the Bible, 3 times in the OT and 2 times in the NT. The word "reconciled" occurs 7 times in the NT, none in the OT, and 2 times it does not apply to the relationship between God and men. So altogether we have 18 occurrences of "reconciliation" which are related to God.

The Greek verb which has been thus translated is katallaso (καταλλάσσω). We get a proper understanding of this word from Thayer's Greek Lexicon:
"καταλλάσσω; 1 aorist participle καταλλαξας; 2 aorist passive κατηλλάγην; properly, to change, exchange, as coins for others of equal value; hence, to reconcile (those who are at variance): τινας, as τούς Θηβαιους καί τούς Πλαταιεας, Herodotus 6, 108; κατηλλαξαν σφεας οἱ Παριοι, 5, 29; Aristotle, oecon. 2, 15, 9 (p. 1348b, 9) κατήλλαξεν αὐτούς πρός ἀλλήλους; passive τίνι, to return into favor with, be reconciled to, one, Euripides, Iph. Aul. 1157; Plato, rep. 8, p. 566 e.; πρός ἀλλήλους, Thucydides 4, 59; but the passive is used also where only one ceases to be angry with another and receives him into favor; thus καταλλαγεις, received by Cyrus into favor, Xenophon, an. 1, 6, 1; καταλλάττεται πρός αὐτήν, regained her favor, Josephus, Antiquities 5, 2, 8; and, on the other hand, God is said καταλλαγῆναι τίνι, with whom he ceases to be offended, to whom he grants his favor anew, whose sins he pardons, 2 Macc. 1:5 2Macc. 7:33 2Macc. 8:29; Josephus, Antiquities 6, 7, 4 cf. 7, 8, 4 (so ἐπικαταλλάττεσθαι τίνι, Clement of Rome, 1 Cor. 48, 1 [ET]).

In the N. T. God is said καταλλάσσειν ἑαυτῷ τινα, to receive one into his favor (A. V. reconcile one to himself), 2 Corinthians 5:18f (where in the added participles two arguments are adduced which prove that God has done this: first, that he does not impute to men their trespasses; second, that he has deposited the doctrine of reconciliation in the souls of the preachers of the gospel); καταλλαγῆναι τῷ Θεῷ, to be restored to the favor of God, to recover God's favor, Romans 5:10 (but see ἐχθρός, 2); καταλλάγητε τῷ Θεῷ, allow yourselves to be reconciled to God; do not oppose your return into his favor, but lay hold of that favor now offered you... "

The key meaning is found here and relates to the enmity which sin has crated between God and man: "…but the passive is used also where only one ceases to be angry with another and receives him into favor…"
But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh. For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.(Eph 2:13-18).

What this passage tells us is that Christ destroyed the enmity between God and man on the cross. The enmity was created by sin, since sin put up a barrier between God and men. Before the crucifixion of Christ, only the shed blood of clean animals could make temporary reconciliation. But after Christ shed His blood for our redemption, and paid the full penalty for all sins on the cross, could God be fully reconciled to mankind. But that does not automatically mean that sinners are reconciled to God. Therefore Paul tells men to be reconciled to God.

The only way that a sinner can be reconciled to God is by obedience to the Gospel: repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 20:21). That is when a sinner is justified by grace through faith, and all that person's past sins are forgiven. But any future sins must be addressed by the believer, and unless that happens, the fellowship between God and His child is not restored. But at the same time, the issue of reconciliation does not arise, since that person is already a child of God by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. As we see from this passage in Romans 5:6-10, reconciliation is in the past tense for the believer:

For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

"We shall be saved by His life." He was our example. He did not sin willfully. And He was the "firstborn of many brethren." Romans 8:29-30. That is why it is so important to receive His Spirit so that we CAN be dead to sin, unlike Peter when he denied Christ. But after Jesus blew the Spirit into all the disciples after the Resurrection, Peter became a pillar in the Church.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But after Jesus blew the Spirit into all the disciples after the Resurrection, Peter became a pillar in the Church.
And yet Paul had to rebuke Peter later on because he was not being a consistent Christians. Read it for yourself.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Question: Does forgiving someone mean you are reconciled to them and they to you?
A sinner is reconciled to God and also forgiven of all his or her past sins at the time of conversion. Nonetheless, Christians can and will sin, and God expects them to address their sins. This does not mean that God is not reconciled to this person. But it does mean that the directions in 1 John 1 (and other Scriptures) must be applied in dealing with present sins.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And yet Paul had to rebuke Peter later on because he was not being a consistent Christians. Read it for yourself.

We all commit trespasses. We just need to reconcile, and Paul and Peter did. You do know that Paul was also wrong don't you? But denying Christ was major, and something a saved person would not do. He wasn't saved until He repented and received the Spirit.

Your definition of grace is not correct. God is Holy, and will not tolerate unrighteousness.

Last edited:

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A sinner is reconciled to God and also forgiven of all his or her past sins at the time of conversion. Nonetheless, Christians can and will sin, and God expects them to address their sins. This does not mean that God is not reconciled to this person. But it does mean that the directions in 1 John 1 (and other Scriptures) must be applied in dealing with present sins.

You misinterpret just about every verse in 1 John 1. When are you going to accept the true meaning? You make being a born again Christian hard. Jesus said His yoke is easy and His burden is light. Do you even know how? You can't teach what you don't know, and you can't know until it is by experience confirming Scripture.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Question: Does forgiving someone mean you are reconciled to them and they to you?

If not, what else is needed?

It takes two to reconcile. You are only responsible for trying, not for their disobedience to do their part. But for better results, don't wait too long in forgiving, or apologizing. If a root of bitterness takes root, that is hard to overcome. Matthew 5:23-25.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

The only way that a sinner can be reconciled to God is by obedience to the Gospel: repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 20:21). That is when a sinner is justified by grace through faith, and all that person's past sins are forgiven. But any future sins must be addressed by the believer, and unless that happens, the fellowship between God and His child is not restored. But at the same time, the issue of reconciliation does not arise, since that person is already a child of God by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. As we see from this passage in Romans 5:6-10, reconciliation is in the past tense for the believer:
Just a quick question of clarification, when you say “obedience”, are you referring to the act of believing? There are ample verses that speak of “belief” being the necessary action for redemption, or, reconciliation...and you yourself refer multiple times to the “believer”.
I suppose my question after that is; which comes first- chicken or egg? If we receive the faith to believe from God, then is it strictly an act of obedience that sees us reconciled? Or does the obedience comes after that humbling, wondrous moment when you realise the God of the Universe reached down for you? When you inevitably must start living the life of a believer...which is something that takes obedience and faith every single day. Thus your walk becomes one of obedience and one we can say that Christ will bring to completion...because we are not walking it alone...we are being constantly fed by the wellspring of faith and grace that comes from God.
Maybe I have misunderstood you... hence the question

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A sinner is reconciled to God and also forgiven of all his or her past sins at the time of conversion. Nonetheless, Christians can and will sin...

This is puzzling.
God forgives a person of his past sins?
What past sins?
(Examples)?

A person forgiven of God for past sins...
Then continues to sin?
How? What exactly do they do that is a sin?
(Examples)?

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
This is puzzling.
God forgives a person of his past sins?
What past sins?
(Examples)?

A person forgiven of God for past sins...
Then continues to sin?
How? What exactly do they do that is a sin?
(Examples)?
While an answer from Enoch111 is pending I would like to comment.

As a child the concept of my sins being forgiven when Christ died sacrificially on the Cross seemed illogical since at that time I hadn't committed any. It took a revelation for me to fully understand that all sins past, present, and future are subject to these two aspects of Biblical truth:
  • That the suffering and sacrifice of Christ is perpetually sufficient to pay for all sins to be removed from the record and all sinners to be redeemed from whatever evil they have been bound up in.
  • That the suffering and sacrifice of Christ is redemptionally efficient to pay for only those sins to be removed from the record of those repentant sinners who by faith accept Him as their Lord and Saviour and continue to access God's grace through their faith.
Sin is best described as missing the mark as encapsulated in the Ten Commandments which also have two aspects:
  • Our relationship with God (Not doing things that harm this.)
  • Our relationship with People (Not doing things that harm this.)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is puzzling.
God forgives a person of his past sins? What past sins? (Examples)?
All past sins. Let's take the example of Saul, the persecutor of the Church. When he was converted, all his past sins were forgiven at that moment.
Then continues to sin?
How? What exactly do they do that is a sin? (Examples)?
Are you seriously suggesting that after Christians are saved, they become sinlessly perfect? I did not say anything about continuing in sin. I said that Christians can and do sin, and you will not deny that would apply to both you and me. There are sins of omission, and sins of commission, and "whatsoever is not of faith is sin". So God expects Christians to address their present sins, and the apostle John clearly states in 1 John 1.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Just a quick question of clarification, when you say “obedience”, are you referring to the act of believing?
Yes. I did not simply say "obedience" but I said "obedience to the Gospel". Since God commands all men everywhere to repent, then obedience to that command would be a sincere and total turning away from sins and idols. Since God commands all men everywhere to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved, it would me genuine saving faith in Christ and His finished work of redemption. As Paul says in Romans 10 regarding unbelieving Jews "but they have not all obeyed the Gospel".
Thus your walk becomes one of obedience and one we can say that Christ will bring to completion...because we are not walking it alone...
And this is what sanctification involves. Walking in the Spirit and not yielding to the lusts of the flesh.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While an answer from Enoch111 is pending I would like to comment.

As a child the concept of my sins being forgiven when Christ died sacrificially on the Cross seemed illogical since at that time I hadn't committed any. It took a revelation for me to fully understand that all sins past, present, and future are subject to these two aspects of Biblical truth:
  • That the suffering and sacrifice of Christ is perpetually sufficient to pay for all sins to be removed from the record and all sinners to be redeemed from whatever evil they have been bound up in.
  • That the suffering and sacrifice of Christ is redemptionally efficient to pay for only those sins to be removed from the record of those repentant sinners who by faith accept Him as their Lord and Saviour and continue to access God's grace through their faith.
Sin is best described as missing the mark as encapsulated in the Ten Commandments which also have two aspects:
  • Our relationship with God (Not doing things that harm this.)
  • Our relationship with People (Not doing things that harm this.)

Thank you for your response.

Reactions: Stumpmaster

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All past sins.

Vague. What past sins examples were you forgiven for?

Its a strange thing, for a person desiring to receive the Lords offered Salvation and begin with Repentence, but can not identify what SIN they are asking forgiveness for.

Let's take the example of Saul, the persecutor of the Church. When he was converted, all his past sins were forgiven at that moment.

Was persecution of the Church a SIN?
Saul was expressly steeped in Jewish Law and teacher of Jewish Law. What did he DO what was Against Jewish Law, and BY that Law, A SIN?

Are you seriously suggesting that after Christians are saved, they become sinlessly perfect?

I NEITHER said that, nor suggested that.

I did not say anything about continuing in sin. I said that Christians can and do sin

Yes, I read what you said.
And it is puzzling that you say a Converted man, CAN and DO sin, but somehow that is not "CONTINUING" to sin.
If a converted man, is forgiven his sin (ofcourse that is forgiven sin that has already
Occured)...

But then you say, that same man CAN THEN "After Conversion" commit SIN....but deny it is a continuance of sin...puzzling.

...what SIN specific is an Example of a converted man committing a sin?

and you will not deny that would apply to both you and me.

I don't deny what you say for yourself...
But find it puzzling...

I do deny what you say for me.

There are sins of omission, and sins of commission, and "whatsoever is not of faith is sin". So God expects Christians to address their present sins, and the apostle John clearly states in 1 John 1.

Sins, sins, sins...vague.
1 John 1 is clear...Of John declaring "DO's and Dont's and effects there of...TO: those prospects WHO MIGHT be interested to Accept Jesus' Offering...and the Effects of Accepting and the Effects of Rejecting.

1 John 1:
[3] That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fell

"Whatsoever is not of faith is sin"

And what is the protocal for determining what is and is "not of faith"?

Is watching a football game on Sunday afternoon not "OF FAITH"? A sin?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Biblical reconciliation: its proper meaning
OP ^

I view reconciliation in two fashions:
One as an Offering of God.
One as an Acceptence of Gods Offering by an individual.

1) primarily, God created and made our habit, Earth, and mankind, Very Good.
It has become corrupted, and Reconciliation is a means (via Gods Offering) to restore and make anew, that which has become corrupt.

2) secondly, from natural birth (procreation) of mankind, the born person is unknowing of God, then hears, learns about God, and individually must decide to follow His Way, accept His Offer to be ajoined with God, (which is also reconciliation), or reject God.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes. I did not simply say "obedience" but I said "obedience to the Gospel". Since God commands all men everywhere to repent, then obedience to that command would be a sincere and total turning away from sins and idols. Since God commands all men everywhere to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved, it would me genuine saving faith in Christ and His finished work of redemption. As Paul says in Romans 10 regarding unbelieving Jews "but they have not all obeyed the Gospel".
Hi! Thanks for clarifying. I thought that's what 'obedience to the gospel' would mean (that's what I'd mean when I'd say it), but I felt the need to check. I'm coming late to the conversation, obviously, but there seemed to be differences in opinion, but I couldn't, as surface level, seem to tell where the differences where necessarily occurring.

And this is what sanctification involves. Walking in the Spirit and not yielding to the lusts of the flesh.
Agreed.
Why does Charismatic Lady disagree with your definition of grace, if you don't mind me asking? I cannot see anything objectionable.