Big Bible words made easy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enquirer

Aug 5, 2014
South Africa
This has been something that has been rolling around on the inside of me for a while now, how to break down
those seemingly "complicated" words and make them understandable to the average person.
I remember reading the word and just skipping over them because I never had a cooking clue what they
meant.
All them in the context of Jesus and how they relate to what He did.

Words like: EXPIATION, ATONEMENT, PROPITIATION and RECONCILIATION.

Imagine for a moment Jack and Jill (LOL) had a falling out in their relationship if you would.
Jack had been spending way to much time with his favourite hobby and had been neglecting Jill, so she got mad with him.

Now Jack wants to be at peace with Jill, so he goes to Jill's favourite restaurant and books a dinner for two and then off
he goes to the local jeweller and buys a beautiful necklace with matching earrings which he knows Jill will like.
He knows that this will win Jill over again and that finally there will be peace between the two of them again ... what is he doing ?

He is acting, doing something - this is EXPIATION, by going to the jeweller and by purchasing an acceptable gift - this is PROPITIATION,
to make peace with his gift - this is ATONEMENT and thereby bringing about RECONCILIATION between the two of them.

In the same way Jesus went to the cross (EXPIATION) and offered Himself as the acceptable offering to God (PROPITIATION),
by the shedding and offering of His blood (ATONEMENT) for our sins and thus to bring about peace and acceptance between God
and man (RECONCILIATION).

This is basically what these words mean ... I have deliberately left out the more intricate stuff but like I said this is what it boils down to.
Lastly, good 'ol Jack simply needs to spend more time with her after the meal and gift otherwise it's back to square one.
And so we to now after having accepted Christ need to spend time with Him.