Billy Graham, and a new crusade

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So the late, great, Billy Graham, took it upon himself to invade the UK with his version of Christianity. I wonder if now is not the time for we Brits to return the compliment. American Christianity is so full of philosphical flaws, leavened here and there with particular hatreds, that I truly believe Americans could learn from us.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the late, great, Billy Graham, took it upon himself to invade the UK with his version of Christianity. I wonder if now is not the time for we Brits to return the compliment. American Christianity is so full of philosphical flaws, leavened here and there with particular hatreds, that I truly believe Americans could learn from us.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Well if the Christian Polls are right, there are less Brits actually following Jesus as a % of you rpopulation as are us here in America. but we sure could use a real biblical revival of truth versus religion.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Best wishes, 2RM.
What are some of the top things we can learn?

Much love!

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What are some of the top things we can learn?

Well, for starters, that Christianity is the religion of love. That is what Jesus came to preach, and judging by some of the discussions I have had with Americans on this and other forums, it seems to be a message many Americans have overlooked. You all seem to be far more concerned with the getting and spending of money than anything Jesus had to say.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Reactions: Nancy and marks

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
American Christianity is so full of philosphical flaws, leavened here and there with particular hatreds, that I truly believe Americans could learn from us.

There is no question that the Church of England is now apostate.

Hmmm. In what way, exactly, apostate?

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hmmm. In what way, exactly, apostate?
Since C. H. Spurgeon had first-hand knowledge of the Church of England, we should let him tell us about the apostasy:

• The notorious heresies within her bosom are going very far towards the ejection of the Episcopalian body from the list of Churches of Christ; and were it not for the noble few who maintain inviolate the holy faith of the Reformers, this fearful consummation would long ago have been reached. Towards the Evangelicals of the Establishment we cherish the most loving feelings; we blush for their inconsistency in remaining in communion with Papists and Infidels (these are plain names for Puseyites and Essayists), but we heartily rejoice in their vigorous protests and earnest testimonies against the errors of their denomination. In our very hearts we feel the sincerest affection for our brethren in Christ, who are the salt of Episcopacy and the lights of their dark Church. It is for their sake that many of us have handled too gently a sinful and corrupt corporation. We have feared to offend against the congregation of God's people, and therefore we have kept back our hand from the axe, which we fear it was our duty to have laid to the root of the tree. The earnest ministry and eminent piety of many of our Episcopalian brethren have been a wall of fire around their camp; and many a Dissenting Christian has concealed his detestation of abuses lest he should provoke his brother to anger, or grieve one of the Lord's anointed.
Mr. Spurgeon and the Church of England in 1861

This was written back in 1861. At that time Dean John William Burgon exposed the heresies of the Essayists in detail, even while Cardinal Newman was trying to make the CofE a Catholic church. More recently the CofE has failed to take a clear and biblical position on homosexuality and same-sex marriage.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I was brought up in the Church of England, and baptised and confirmed therein. As you might surmise, my experience is somewhat more recent than Spurgeon's of 1861. And arguably enough, it hasn't done me any harm.

The C of E's position on homosexuality is quite clear (you can be a homosexual, but not have homosexual sex) and I profoundly disagree with it. No one has yet explained to me precisely and satisfactorily why they think homosexuality a sin.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

Best wishes, 2RM.

If you decide to come over, leave Billy and bring Jesus.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'd love to come, but I am not the preaching type. Just your ordinary, average, bog standard, Christian thinker. But I am sure others of my countrymen, better qualified than me, would take you up on your offer.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I'd love to come, but I am not the preaching type. Just your ordinary, bog standard, Christian thinker. But I am sure others of my countrymen, better qualified than me, would take you up on your offer.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Anyone who brings Jesus - and a passport - has an open invitation.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, buddy. I feel welcome already.

But my next trip is to Goa, and Kerala, India. And I don't have much money. So, I'm not sure I'll ever have the necessary funds to get to the US. But I really do appreciate your kind sentiments.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Reactions: Nancy and Matthias

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Probably those Bible verses that say it is has something to do with it.

So why do you suppose the Bible says homosexuality is a sin, and then never explains why? That is what I am trying to get at: the underlying reason. It just doesn't seem to be that there is one.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, for starters, that Christianity is the religion of love. ... Americans ... seem to be far more concerned with the getting and spending of money than anything Jesus had to say.

Your cultural Marxism is showing again.

In your estimation, the only way to show love is to give ones money via taxes to government? Please show one verse in the Bible that says anything remotely like this.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is what I am trying to get at: the underlying reason. It just doesn't seem to be that there is one.
You don't want to find one. Numerous people in this thread, including me, have explained it to you.

And beyond that our understanding why is irrelevant. It's God Will that we are to obey. Obey first, understanding will come later. Call it, an act of faith.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So why do you suppose the Bible says homosexuality is a sin, and then never explains why? That is what I am trying to get at: the underlying reason. It just doesn't seem to be that there is one.
Just out of curiosity, does the Bible explain WHY coveting your neighbor's wife is a sin? or WHY lying is a sin?

My best guess for WHY (and this is just "my" best guess) homosexuality is a sin is because it is contrary to the plan of God. In Genesis ... "male and female He created them", to be a couple ... two become one flesh ... each completing the other, with this God ordained unity in plurality a living "picture" of God and some spiritual truth (man created in the image of God). To abandon the roles and natural biological pairings is to distort at best, and willfully reject or pervert (depending on an inner motivation that is invisible to me) the image of God and natural order of that which is "very good" according to God (the creator). That is (in my humble opinion) what makes homosexual acts (it is almost always the actions of men that are condemned as sin in scripture) "a sin".

In truth, the argument for why "hate" is the sin of "murder" shares a similar and parallel explanation (in my opinion).

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno