Billy Graham site removes Mormon 'cult' reference

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Quote:
Shortly after Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney enjoyed cookies and soft drinks with the Rev. Billy Graham and his son Franklin Graham on Thursday at the elder Graham's mountaintop retreat, a reference to Mormonism as a cult was scrubbed from the website of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.

I think this is a comprimise of princables. Its a sad day when church leaders remove long held teachings for the sake of an election.
Just wondering what the opinions of others are about this topic?

Link http://religion.blog...romney-meeting/

121011101408-mitt-romney-meets-with-billy-graham-story-top.jpg

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Since we are talking about Billy Graham,America's first celebrity preacher many will defend him no matter what he does,mountaintop retreat ?.....the gospel sure has been very very good to some.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the golden years of that ministry is long past anyway... :(

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
I read somewhere billy graham is a high ranking mason ?

I have never heard that before.
One thing that comes to mind in regards to your comment is BGram has personally met with the last 12 Presidents "since Truman". In the public’s eye as a representative of Jesus Christ.

As the other posters have said, it's going unnoticed or unspoken of, but I would suspect that many Christians will see this as a green light to vote for Romney inspite of the Morman relationship. Maybe chosing the lesser of two evils, instead of staying the course with Christ?
I have a lot of reservations for a man that spends his entire life speaking of an uncompromised walk in Christ, yet in the times we find ourselves, this man abandons his principles to support the follower of a false prophet, Joseph Smith.
Billy Gram made a choice.

Joshua 24:15

(KJV)

[sup]15 [/sup]And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Brother James

Jun 2, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I know it is the ever-popular passtime to tear down rather than build up, but I'd be careful tearing down God's servants. Billy Graham has been one of the lowest paid mega-evangelists in history. Never a hint of financial impropriety. He lives in the hills of North Carolina in retirement. Should he be living in a hovel in Newark? Good grief, the supriority assumed by people who have done precious little to spread the gospel is breathtaking.

At some point, a false religion is just that - a false religion. Islam is a false religion. It is not a "cult". Mormonism also does not fit the definition of "cult" even thought it too is a false religion. A cult is a relatively small group of people following strange beliefs and practices. Mormonism is not small. As far as following a single individual, we follow Jesus Christ.

And calling Graham a pope or a mason, and living on top of a mountain, are the worst slurs folks can come up with? Wow.

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
New Hampshire's North Woods
I know it is the ever-popular passtime to tear down rather than build up, but I'd be careful tearing down God's servants. Billy Graham has been one of the lowest paid mega-evangelists in history. Never a hint of financial impropriety. He lives in the hills of North Carolina in retirement. Should he be living in a hovel in Newark? Good grief, the supriority assumed by people who have done precious little to spread the gospel is breathtaking.

At some point, a false religion is just that - a false religion. Islam is a false religion. It is not a "cult". Mormonism also does not fit the definition of "cult" even thought it too is a false religion. A cult is a relatively small group of people following strange beliefs and practices. Mormonism is not small. As far as following a single individual, we follow Jesus Christ.

And calling Graham a pope or a mason, and living on top of a mountain, are the worst slurs folks can come up with? Wow.

Amen! At least he's not like John Hagee and Pat Robertson.

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Rev. Billy Graham has led a relatively scandal-free ministry. And that should be lauded by all Christians. There was a $23 million dollar donation in 1978 that was not readily revealed to his congregation but no improprieties associated were with that occurrence. The only disturbing aspect for me was something he said just a few years ago:

Have these false masonic ideas also penetrated Billy Grahams mind?
Dr. Billy Graham recently told Parade Magazine, "I fully adhere to the fundamental tenets of the Christian faith for myself and my ministry, but as an American, I respect other paths to God."

I respect other paths to God" saith 33rd Degree Freemason Billy Graham

"no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." saith the LORD JESUS CHRIST.

If you ever study Masonic doctrine and practices there is much contradiction with orthodox Christian theology.

There are a number of other troubling ecumenical comments from Billy Graham:

“Each time a President has asked me to lead the Inaugural prayer, I have argued that I should not do it alone, that leaders of other religions should be there too....We are all brothers and sisters in our hearts. We ought to love each other.” What about other Christian leaders who do not share this view? “Well, I don’t agree with them” (ibid., p. 5).

At San Francisco Crusade, 1997 Billy Graham stated: “There are other sins. Why do we jump on that sin [homosexuality] as though it’s the greatest sin?...What I want to preach about in San Francisco is the love of God. People need to know that God loves them no matter what their ethnic background or sexual orientation. I have so many gay friends, and we remain friends” (“Graham Welcomes Gays at San Francisco,” Christian News, Oct. 20, 1997, p. 7).

There are those who think that Billy Graham is the next best thing to God here on earth but his theology stinks and is full of errors including his acceptance of Gays.

In his autobiography Just As I Am," Graham talks more about the people he knew than about Jesus Christ. Graham does make a few theological comments but they seem more from hell than heaven including:

“The heart of the problem for men like Bob Jones, Carl McIntire, and John R. Rice was the sponsorship of the Crusade [1957] by the Protestant Council of New York. The council, they contended, included many churches and clergy who were theologically liberal and who denied some of the most important elements of the biblical message. It was not the first time some of them had raised their objections to my growing ecumenism, of course, but the New York Crusade marked their final break with our work” (Just As I Am, pp. 302-03).

“I used to believe that pagans in far-off countries were lost–were going to hell–if they did not have the Gospel of Jesus Christ preached to them. I no longer believe that. I believe that there are other ways of recognizing the existence of God–through nature, for instance–and plenty of other opportunities, therefore, of saying ‘yes’ to God” (“I Cant’ Play God Any More,” McCall’s, Jan. 1978, p. 156).
In an interview with Robert Schuller, Graham speaks: “I think everybody that loves Christ, or knows Christ, whether they’re conscious of it or not, they’re members of the Body of Christ.... He’s [God] calling people out of the world for His name, whether they come from the Muslim world, or the Buddhist world, or the Christian world or the non-believing world, they are members of the Body of Christ because they’ve been called by God. They may not even know the name of Jesus but they know in their hearts that they need something that they don’t have, and they turn to the only light that they have, and I think that they are saved, and that they’re going to be with us in heaven.” Schuller: “What, what I hear you saying that it’s possible for Jesus Christ to come into human hearts and soul and life, even if they’ve been born in darkness and have never had exposure to the Bible. Is that a correct interpretation of what you’re saying?” Graham: “Yes, it is, because I believe that. I’ve met people in various parts of the world in tribal situations, that they have never seen a Bible or heard of Jesus, but they’ve believed in their hearts that there was a God, and they’ve tried to live a life that was quite apart from the surrounding community in which they lived..” Schuller: “I’m so thrilled to hear you say this. There’s a wideness in God’s mercy.” Graham: “There is. There is” (“Graham Believes Men Can Be Saved Apart from Name of Christ,” Christian News, Oct. 20, 1997, p. 15).

http://www.scionofzion.com/bgsf.htm

Brother James

Jun 2, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I don't know Billy Graham to be a mason, nor do I know him not to be. I know that the pastor of the church I grew up in was a freemason and I've never known a more godly man in my life. I've never known anyone who lived his love for God more fully, actually.

A great many Christian men who subscribe to orthodox Christian doctrines are masons. However, 33rd degree is not a "high ranking" mason even if Graham is one. It is a ceremonial degree awarded to people who have given lifetime service to the Scottish Rite of freemasonry. In freemasonry there is no degree that is "higher ranking" than the third degree.

As far as Graham's theology, I'm sure many would find things with which to disagree. I suspect if we scrutinized every single thing ever written or said by any Christian leader, there would be something to criticize. Notice that not every word written by Paul was canonized.

Pelaides

Jul 30, 2012

Whats wrong with being called a Pope?He is one of the leaders of the protesants,the way the Pope is the leader of the catholics.

Now his association with the masons is reason to be concerned.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012

Your post was anticipated...and true to form you said everything that was expected...the definition of "cult" has nothing to do with it...it was on their site then they took it down...did they all of a sudden discover what cult meant ? perhaps Mitt enlightened them...one of the reasons the word "preacher" has become so closely associated with con man and crook is that people like you resist any attempts to question anybody or what they do and make wild assumptions that everyone calling themselves a christian follows Jesus,which has resulted in the free for all we have now....Mormonism is leading people to hell and anyone who supports them in any way is not following Jesus...lowest paid mega evangelist ? yeah well,when many of them are raking in 100 million or more what is low...50 million

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess I will be the realist here.

Number one, Rev. Graham is now 94 years old. The man has been in-and-out of the hospital, and he's not exactly one of those 90+ that you marvel at his mind and health. I'm trying to say it as nicely as possible that he's getting rather old. He's long past his more vigorous days and to hold everything done in his name against him is a mistake.

At this point, he is more of a figurehead. I feel his son and others to probably be running things, now.

Secondly, to try and defend the the move as just updating general thought trends would have worked had it not happened immediately after a Romney visit. The problem here is that there is clearly a motivated political decision to remove the reference.

I think this to also be a problem with the Evangelical world. It is so tightly wound to politics these days that it cannot extricate itself, so it ends up looking like a lackey, which the Graham Organization is doing here. People are able to assault Christianity as nothing more than another worldly system because of stuff like this, we should be above it. Thus why Republican baggage generally becomes Christian baggage.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
I have a long Mormon history and i know what i am talking about...Mormonism is leading people to Hell...what will the acceptable and proper excuse and comfort be for even one soul that winds up there because of it..... it was just politics...it was just an old man who was a little confused...modern christianity is so completely averse to saying that anything is wrong or that anyone is wrong that it has rendered itself useless and corrupt and as far as being above anything is concerned it seems that truth is what we are above...does the God most people claim to serve ever say anything is wrong ? does he ever say anybody is wrong did he ever mention anywhere in the Bible where one of his people was and did wrong.The god of modern christianity resembles Mr Rogers more than the God of the bible in regard to heaven and Hel and what can put you in either place.....Jesus did not say he came so that all could get along traveling as many different roads as they choose.

What is realy being said by some here is that Mr Graham is distinquished,he has a long track record,he is respectable,he is well kmown and famous,he has been with all the important people.....and if he wants to say or do something that would lead a person either in Mormonism or considering it to follow that path then that is perfectly alright...Mr Graham's record will see him through....the one who winds up in Hell ? oh well,sucks to be them i guess.

Brother James

Jun 2, 2008
Melbourne, FL
As I pointed out earlier, it is far easier to tear down that to build something constructive. Likewise, it is much easier to be dismissive of the view of others rather than engage in thoughtful respectful dialogue. I dare say that the man who spent a long lifetime loving people and introducing them to the gospel of Jesus Christ, fallible though they are, is on better ground than a hateful person whose doctrine is 100% correct.

It will not matter how harshly we judge. When we judge, it can only be harsh. God's judgment is righteous and just. I guess we'll all know how we stand one day.

Now, the Mormon religion is a false religion invented by a man. Yet, it is curious how Christians who live riotous hateful lives condemn people who, though misguided, devote their lives to others in love, devote their lives to their families, and live their faith in every aspect of their lives. Far easier to condemn and tear down than to feel ashamed of our own failure to live our faith. Few Christians are actually able to heed Jesus' advice to look inward before casting judgments on others. That's because when we look inward we are ashamed, I think.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Tis what religion, which includes the christian religious system is all about. It is just as fleshy as the political system and employs many of the same methods.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
As I pointed out earlier, it is far easier to tear down that to build something constructive. Likewise, it is much easier to be dismissive of the view of others rather than engage in thoughtful respectful dialogue. I dare say that the man who spent a long lifetime loving people and introducing them to the gospel of Jesus Christ, fallible though they are, is on better ground than a hateful person whose doctrine is 100% correct.

It will not matter how harshly we judge. When we judge, it can only be harsh. God's judgment is righteous and just. I guess we'll all know how we stand one day.

Now, the Mormon religion is a false religion invented by a man. Yet, it is curious how Christians who live riotous hateful lives condemn people who, though misguided, devote their lives to others in love, devote their lives to their families, and live their faith in every aspect of their lives. Far easier to condemn and tear down than to feel ashamed of our own failure to live our faith. Few Christians are actually able to heed Jesus' advice to look inward before casting judgments on others. That's because when we look inward we are ashamed, I think.

More feel good nonsense from modern christianity...Jesus said i am the way the truth and the life....pretty dismissive of anything else...i dare say that a soul in Hell is much better off if it was led there by a loving man of God...Hell is so much more tolerable if you were led there in love.

You say that the Mormon religion is a false religion invented by a man yet....yet what ?...yet modern christianity thinks its all about being "good" popular and accepted so a false religion in love is better than the truth that doesn't appeal to the sappy,sugary and sweet sentiments that are the trademarks of modern christianity...I guess on judgement day one will be cast into Hell for all eternity but the one who led them there will be ushered into the Kingdom because they did it in love....better to enter Hell on the wings of love than heaven on any terms you find offensive or unpleasant.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
I read somewhere billy graham is a high ranking mason ?

It is an "honorary" degree that was given to him. All all of the USA presidents receive it as well.
They are not necessarily involved in things masonic.
It is the same as universities who give out "honorary degrees" to famous people.
Many of those "famous people" did not even complete high school.

An important thing we should note was about 20 years ago when Billy Graham was nearing the end of his full time ministry he was interviewed (by 60 minutes I think) .

He was asked if he had any regrets .... or if he would have done things differently.
He replied that he would not associate with American Presidents as he had in the past.

Amen brother James. Thank you.

Billy Graham's entourage and staff had to be constantly on the lookout for "planted" scandals by enemy groups.
As well as outfits like the National Enquirer tabloids.
Before Graham entered his hotel room they had to make sure there were no "planted" scantily dressed women inside waiting to capture him in a compromising photograph or something.

I can partly understand the secular world bashing Graham , but it troubles me when Christians start doing it.

Quote:
Shortly after Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney enjoyed cookies and soft drinks with the Rev. Billy Graham and his son Franklin Graham on Thursday at the elder Graham's mountaintop retreat, a reference to Mormonism as a cult was scrubbed from the website of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.

I think this is a comprimise of princables. Its a sad day when church leaders remove long held teachings for the sake of an election.
Just wondering what the opinions of others are about this topic?

Maybe he wants Romney to win the election instead of Obama and for that reason deleted the Mormon content from his website. I do not agree with them doing it , but maybe they have a good reasons that we are not aware of.

For all we know Mitt Romney could have privately told Billy and Franklin Graham that he is labeled as a Mormon , but does not believe the writing's of Joseph Smith or the book of Mormon.

We could call that hypocritical yes ..... but sometimes smart people employ covert actions for good reasons.

A lot of Mormons , privately in their own minds have moved closer toward true Christianity. I hope they continue.