Binding and Loosing...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like what this Reverend has said about binding and loosing.....I used to think binding and loosing meant binding demons and loosing ministering spirits.....I thank the Lord for teaching me what this actually means.

Matthew 16:18-19 and Matthew 18:18-19 "Whatever you bind on earth..."
"And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven" (Matthew 16:18-19).

"Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. Again, truly I tell you, if two of you agree on earth about anything you ask, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven" (Matthew 18:18-19).

COMMENT: "Earth" is the world of illusion in which we live. "Heaven" is the realm of consciousness in which we are eternally One with Spirit. Jesus is teaching us here—as he does throughout his ministry—that our life experience will express according to our faith. We "bind on earth" when we decide what we believe about this life experience—and that belief will become our full experience. If we believe in a dangerous world, we will experience a dangerous world. If we believe in an enemy trying to do us harm, that will be our experience. If, on the other hand, we "loose" ourselves from those negative beliefs and hold to the truth that there is One Presence and One Power, seeking always to express in and through us as our highest, greatest Good, that will be the life we experience. God—the Father in heaven, the Source of all that is—will express in our lives according to the beliefs we hold.

Blessings!
Rev. Ed

When I was praying and interceding today the Holy Spirit spoke to me and said to declare those things that are not as though they were....to declare what I have sought Him in prayer for and it will be done according to His Will...that He will perform what we declare according to His Word and His Will....today I declared that the works of the enemy to deceive us with lies from sources such as media and from false teachers to be exposed and that what is hidden in darkness will be brought to light.

We serve a mighty God....He isn't sitting on the sidelines watching the game play as a spectator....no He (Jesus) is in the game as the Head Coach and writing the play-by-plays and implementing them through His players....The Quarterback is the Holy Spirit and the running back are those who can run with the Word and take it to the end-zone! The tackles are the praying warriors, the kicker is the preachers and teachers.....

(well that's about all I know about football...lol).....but I bet you get the analogy if your a sports fan.

God Bless!

Reactions: Pearl

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.
If we keep this within the context of what Christ said in Matthew 18, it pertains to church discipline and rulings within the church (if there are complaints brought before the church). The preferred option is to settle differences privately.

SINS WITHIN THE CHURCH AND CHURCH DISCIPLINE

FIRSTLY A PRIVATE CONFRONTATION
15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

SECONDLY IN THE PRESENCE OF WITNESSES
16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

THIRDLY BEFORE THE WHOLE CHURCH
17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

CHURCH DECISIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED BY GOD
18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

AGREEMENTS IN UNITED PRAYER WILL BE ACCEPTED BY GOD
19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

CHRIST IS IN THE MIDST OF EACH CHURCH
20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

So the interpretation given by the Reverend goes well beyond the context.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we keep this within the context of what Christ said in Matthew 18, it pertains to church discipline and rulings within the church (if there are complaints brought before the church). The preferred option is to settle differences privately.

SINS WITHIN THE CHURCH AND CHURCH DISCIPLINE

FIRSTLY A PRIVATE CONFRONTATION
15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

SECONDLY IN THE PRESENCE OF WITNESSES
16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

THIRDLY BEFORE THE WHOLE CHURCH
17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

CHURCH DECISIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED BY GOD
18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

AGREEMENTS IN UNITED PRAYER WILL BE ACCEPTED BY GOD
19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

CHRIST IS IN THE MIDST OF EACH CHURCH
20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

So the interpretation given by the Reverend goes well beyond the context.

And what does this verse imply?

“And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”
— Matthew 16:19 (KJV)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And what does this verse imply?

“And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”
— Matthew 16:19 (KJV)
This was a TWO-FOLD commission to the apostle Peter.

THE PREACHING OF THE GOSPEL
"The keys of the Kingdom of Heaven" are in fact the Gospel keys (1) firstly to the Jews at Pentecost and (2) secondly to the Gentiles in the household of Cornelius. The result was that those converted received the Holy Spirit and were born-again. And as Jesus said, without the New Birth, no man can see or enter into the Kingdom of God. Peter was also involved at other times and in other circumstances.

APOSTOLIC AUTHORITY WITHIN THE CHURCHES
The binding or loosing would pertain to apostolic decisions regarding whether or not sins were remitted, or judgment came upon people. It was Peter who brought judgment upon Ananias and Sapphira, and pronounced judgment upon Simon the Sorcerer. There may have been other such incidents not recorded.

So firstly Christ gave His apostles apostolic authority, but he also gave his churches the power to deal with sins within the churches (which would continue after the Apostolic Age).

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is something in the syntax here . . .

upload_2020-5-13_14-55-6.png

What you should be binding on earth shall be, having been bound in the heaven, what you be loosing on earth shall be, having been loosed in the heaven.

There is also a school of thought that this signifies that what these disciples bind and loose (the correct application of law) would match what has already been bound or loosed in heaven. Kind of a seal of approval for what they would do in this regard.

That binding and loosing relates to the application of law is that this is the context, church discipline, and other references to the same, You bind heavy burdens for others but won't lift them yourself . . .

Romans 7:2
For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to [her] husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of [her] husband.

So Jesus is telling the disciples how to handle these sorts of matters, and tells them that they will bind and loose according to what God has already settled.

It's the same construction in Matthew 16, What you bind on earth shall be having been bound in heaven.

This "having been bound" and "having been loosed" is a Perfect tense verb, done, and remains that way. A settled matter.

Just some food for thought.

Much love!

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That binding and loosing relates to the application of law is that this is the context, church discipline, and other references to the same, You bind heavy burdens for others but won't lift them yourself . .
Since this was about the Church, it has nothing to do with the Law, or with the Pharisees binding burdens on others. Totally unrelated.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since this was about the Church, it has nothing to do with the Law, or with the Pharisees binding burdens on others. Totally unrelated.
I'm sorry, I'm saying that this demonstrates how these two words were used. I follow the Grammatical Historical Hermaneutic. So when they are talking about binding and loosing, it is in reference to the application of rule.

Consider the Acts 15 council. They bound the gentiles to not eat things strangled, those 4 things they prohibited, and loosed them from circumcision.

And in this line of reasoning, the idea would be that Jesus was telling the disciples then, that later, when they were telling people concerning circumcision and whether to eat things strangled, that these matters are already settled in heaven, what they do will be in accordance with that.

As best I can tell by my studies, it could be read either way, although I think the text agrees with this way.

Matthew 16:19 KJV
And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Young translates this literally as:

19 and I will give to thee the keys of the reign of the heavens, and whatever thou mayest bind upon the earth shall be having been bound in the heavens, and whatever thou mayest loose upon the earth shall be having been loosed in the heavens.'

Hopefully that is more clear!

Much love!

Reactions: Heart2Soul