blashphemy of the Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
This is the unforgivable sin

We obviously need to know exactly waht this means

it means rejecting truth... and Jesus is the personification and embodiment of absolute, objective Truth... (Justice...)

it is rejecting such (rejecting Christ and his forgiveness) until the very End

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
nice to see no one disagrees :)

hard to argue w/ truth

but anticatholics do that all the time... so... strange no hostile reaction saying i am lying and letting idiots interpret the Word for me and etc.. and etc...

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ScaliaFan said:

it means rejecting truth... and Jesus is the personification and embodiment of absolute, objective Truth... (Justice...)

No, it is attributing the works of the Holy Spirit to the devil, knowing full well it is the Holy Spirit, which is exactly why Jesus warned the Pharisees when they said he was doing this work by the devil. Luke 12:10

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Scaliafan, I'm sorry but your definition does not describe blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Matt. 12:31 - "Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men."

You describe just plain old blasphemy however Christ said this in response to what the Pharisees said in Matt. 12:24 - "But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils."

So, to summarize, "blasphemy of the Holy Spirit" is attributing the works of the Holy Spirit to devils, demons and/or Satan.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
i agree with these two, the bible is specific as to what the unforgivable sin is.

Rather than adding to the scriptures accept that failing to ask for forgiveness is why many will not be forgiven. Isaiah 6:10

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
Trekson said:
Hi Scaliafan, I'm sorry but your definition does not describe blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Matt. 12:31 - "Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men."

You describe just plain old blasphemy however Christ said this in response to what the Pharisees said in Matt. 12:24 - "But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils."

So, to summarize, "blasphemy of the Holy Spirit" is attributing the works of the Holy Spirit to devils, demons and/or Satan.
oh, blashphemy of the Holy Spirit involves just ONE thing (against the HS)--namely saying that Jesus did miracles by the power of the devil?

talk about reading more into the text than is there. Blashphemy of the Holy Spiirt is rejecting Christ (truth) knowingly... and doing this until the very end.

YOU are the one who is calling something blashhphemy of the Holy Spirit that is mere blashphemy.

There is no sin other than rejection of Truth(Jesus) that is unforgivable

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
StanJ said:
No, it is attributing the works of the Holy Spirit to the devil, knowing full well it is the Holy Spirit, which is exactly why Jesus warned the Pharisees when they said he was doing this work by the devil. Luke 12:10
this perfectly shows us why we need a Church to interpret the Word... Maybe this is why Jesus in Heaven did not allow the Bible as we know it to exist "right away" after Jesus ascended. It was in the 4th century that the Catholic Church put together the books of the Bible... chose which to put there and which to leav out..

the Bible as we know it did not exist before the printing press was invented in 1440

i guess no one was a true Christian until then?

no, they had the CHURCH

I sometimes wish it were the same today... maybe we wouldn't have all these wars, all this hate, all this division...

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
lforrest said:
i agree with these two, the bible is specific as to what the unforgivable sin is.

Rather than adding to the scriptures accept that failing to ask for forgiveness is why many will not be forgiven. Isaiah 6:10
ha ha.. how ironic. You protestants are the ones adding to Scripture

adding to the Church Christ founded...

assuming u are not acting in total ignorance (something i do not assume)

umm... Good luck with that kind of... rejecting of Truth.. on Judgment Day

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ScaliaFan said:
this perfectly shows us why we need a Church to interpret the Word... Maybe this is why Jesus in Heaven did not allow the Bible as we know it to exist "right away" after Jesus ascended. It was in the 4th century that the Catholic Church put together the books of the Bible... chose which to put there and which to leav out..
the Bible as we know it did not exist before the printing press was invented in 1440
i guess no one was a true Christian until then?
no, they had the CHURCH
I sometimes wish it were the same today... maybe we wouldn't have all these wars, all this hate, all this division...
That answer is right out of the Catholic catechism and as such does not display your knowledge of the word but only your ankle patient into the RCC.
Luke 12:10
Everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.
If you're not willing to read what the word clearly says in the context it is given by Jesus and only listen to fallible men then you will never discover the truth of the Bible nor the God of the Bible.
You won't be able to stand up on the day of judgment and say; "but my catechism says..."

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
StanJ said:
That answer is right out of the Catholic catechism and as such does not display your knowledge of the word but only your ankle patient into the RCC.
Luke 12:10
Everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.
If you're not willing to read what the word clearly says in the context it is given by Jesus and only listen to fallible men then you will never discover the truth of the Bible nor the God of the Bible.
You won't be able to stand up on the day of judgment and say; "but my catechism says..."
well, you do not understand the first thing about me, so there is no point in responding...

you are clueless about Catholicism and about me in particular...

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ScaliaFan said:
well, you do not understand the first thing about me, so there is no point in responding...
you are clueless about Catholicism and about me in particular...
I was a Roman Catholic for 17 years and trust me I see your kind all over the internet. Most of them do exactly what you just did and avoid answering.

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
StanJ said:
I was a Roman Catholic for 17 years and trust me I see your kind all over the internet. Most of them do exactly what you just did and avoid answering.
big deal you were Catholic. So was i, and for longer than you were... b4 I returned to the Church. When I was o/side the Church, I was CLUELESS about God... about his Law... about Jesus..

at daily Mass, you hear the Word of God and Catholics have Mass every single day (except some parishes where the priest is off on Monday, but T-Sun, they have Mass at virtually every Church). I guess nonCathlics cannot handle the Word that often...

?

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ScaliaFan said:
big deal you were Catholic. So was i, and for longer than you were... b4 I returned to the Church. When I was o/side the Church, I was CLUELESS about God... about his Law... about Jesus..
It wasn't a big deal, which is why I left and apparently it wasn't a big deal for you either but just like a dog you return to your own vomit and I'm sad to say you're still clueless.
ScaliaFan said:
at daily Mass, you hear the Word of God and Catholics have Mass every single day (except some parishes where the priest is off on Monday, but T-Sun, they have Mass at virtually every Church). I guess nonCathlics cannot handle the Word that often...?
That's called religiosity and it's not only practiced by Catholics but also by non-catholics. True Christians don't practice religiosity, they build on their personal relationship with Jesus Christ and that doesn't mean having to go to mass every day. You should try to work on your BA.

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
ScaliaFan said:

thats not what Jesus taught.

calling the power of the Lord the power of Satan. IMO is what Jesus was teaching.

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
ScaliaFan said:
oh, blashphemy of the Holy Spirit involves just ONE thing (against the HS)--namely saying that Jesus did miracles by the power of the devil?

talk about reading more into the text than is there. Blashphemy of the Holy Spiirt is rejecting Christ (truth) knowingly... and doing this until the very end.

YOU are the one who is calling something blashhphemy of the Holy Spirit that is mere blashphemy.

There is no sin other than rejection of Truth(Jesus) that is unforgivable
you sound like your trying to bend this text into saying anyone who is not Christian is committing unforgivable sin.

makes no sense to me but it does shed some light on why Christianity today has so many problems and why so many hate us and run from our churches.

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
StanJ said:
It wasn't a big deal, which is why I left and apparently it wasn't a big deal for you either but just like a dog you return to your own vomit and I'm sad to say you're still clueless.
gee, you have become such a perfect Christian since leaving the RCC

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
jaybird said:
you sound like your trying to bend this text into saying anyone who is not Christian is committing unforgivable sin.

makes no sense to me but it does shed some light on why Christianity today has so many problems and why so many hate us and run from our churches.
if someone knows that Jesus saves from sin and yet does not come to Him, then yeh, that person is committing the unforgivable sin. It stands to reason that not accepting forgiveness (until death, that is) is the unforgivable sin...

obviously it is the Holy Spirit that leads one to the truth that Jesus is Savior, that we need Him...

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
jaybird said:
thats not what Jesus taught.

calling the power of the Lord the power of Satan. IMO is what Jesus was teaching.
i will belive common sense, along with the teachings of the Original Church established 2000 years ago.. the 2 of which never contradict .. over some fallible human being

guess i am just odd that way

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ScaliaFan said:
i will belive common sense, along with the teachings of the Original Church established 2000 years ago.. the 2 of which never contradict .. over some fallible human being

guess i am just odd that way
Not odd, just inculcated, which is normal for many in the RCC.