Blotted out of The Book Of Life?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Psalm 69:28 Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous."
“He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels” (Rev. 3:5).
“And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book” (Rev. 22:19).

Again I find myself questioning my view. Yes Rollo, wishy washy nancy just cannot make up her mind! Thought I'd save you that barb...lol :D
How does one reconcile the above verses to OSAS? I DO believe that if one has true saving grace, they will NOT walk away, they may falter So, if we are saved, how can one be blotted out of this magnificent book of Life? Can we become unsaved...I hate this stupid fence I find myself on allot lately :confused:

Last edited:

Heb 13:8

Nov 2, 2016
USA
Well, using OT to prove we can be blotted out is poor context,
being that it's before Pentecost and the conception of the church in Acts 2:1-4.

Rev 3:5 is in reference to 1 John 5:4-5

In Rev 22:19 the Greek has it translated "tree of life",
so the contradiction is in 1 John 5:4-5, Rev 2:7 he that overcomes.
John is simply using allegory language in Rev 22:19.

God bless.

Reactions: LC627 and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
being that it's before Pentecost and the conception of the church in Acts 2:1-4.

God bless.
Get back in a bit Heb.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Nancy

Good question, it should make a good thread...hope it has legs and is a stayer....( IF everyone talks nice to each other :) )

I am signing off for tonight...hopefully will get back into this tomorrow...if I can find it again. :)

Bless you for now...H

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Nancy

Good question, it should make a good thread...hope it has legs and is a stayer....( IF everyone talks nice to each other :) )

I am signing off for tonight...hopefully will get back into this tomorrow...if I can find it again. :)

Bless you for now...H
Nite nite my friend, God keeps you in the palm of His Hand...He is your Night Light sleep well ♥♥

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God bless.

Hmm, not quite sure what you are saying here but, I quoted 2 NT scriptures and 1 OT. Also, do you mean the Greek translated Tree of Life instead of the Book of Life? And, I don't, as yet see any contradiction.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So, if we are saved, how can one be blotted out of this magnificent book of Life?
You have misunderstood the meaning of the Book of Life (also called the Lamb's Book of Life).

It would appear that only the wicked, and unrepentant and unsaved sinners -- the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars -- will be blotted out of the Book of Life.

Which would mean that all human beings have been initially written into the Book of Life, but their response to God and Christ results in their either (1) remaining in the Book of Life or (2) being expunged (blotted) out of the Book of Life. Please note:

And whosoever was not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the Lake of Fire. (Rev 20:15). [capitalization added]

Since eternal life is God's gift to those who repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, the saints can never be removed from the Book of Life. They have eternal life.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Heb 13:8

Nov 2, 2016
USA
Hmm, not quite sure what you are saying here but, I quoted 2 NT scriptures and 1 OT.

Yup, and I answered all three. Quoting the OT to prove OSAS is false is poor exegesis. The seal was placed on believers at Pentecost, Acts 2:1-4, Eph 1:13-14. The seal didn't exist prior to that, and the seal changes everything.

Also, do you mean the Greek translated Tree of Life instead of the Book of Life? And, I don't, as yet see any contradiction.

Yes, the word translated tree is "xulon". Read again, is overcoming based on belief or works....

1 John 5:4-5 for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. 5Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

Rev 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

God bless

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Nancy

Bless you for now...H

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@"ByGrace" said:
"Good question, it should make a good thread...hope it has legs and is a stayer....( IF everyone talks nice to each other :) )< --- Awwwww-Yer sweet to say, ty ♥ It doesn't matter if it is a stayer, just hoping to get others take on this. It's a 'hotspot' for me. lol, and I do NOT mean that in an argumentative way! lol. Just another one of those fence things with me, not core to the faith, so...hopefully the reply's will be, like you say "... talks nice to each other :)" ♥

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have misunderstood the meaning of the Book of Life (also called the Lamb's Book of Life).

It would appear that only the wicked, and unrepentant and unsaved sinners -- the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars -- will be blotted out of the Book of Life.

Which would mean that all human beings have been initially written into the Book of Life, but their response to God and Christ results in their either (1) remaining in the Book of Life or (2) being expunged (blotted) out of the Book of Life. Please note:

And whosoever was not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the Lake of Fire. (Rev 20:15). [capitalization added]

Since eternal life is God's gift to those who repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, the saints can never be removed from the Book of Life. They have eternal life.

"Which would mean that all human beings have been initially written into the Book of Life, but their response to God and Christ results in their either (1) remaining in the Book of Life or (2) being expunged (blotted) out of the Book of Life." Yes, I can see this. Must see what others might think! Good post!

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"Psalm 69:28 Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous."
“He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels” (Rev. 3:5).
“And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book” (Rev. 22:19).

Again I find myself questioning my view. Yes Rollo, wishy washy nancy just cannot make up her mind! Thought I'd save you that barb...lol :D
How does one reconcile the above verses to OSAS? I DO believe that if one has true saving grace, they will NOT walk away, or falter. So, if we are saved, how can one be blotted out of this magnificent book of Life? Can we become unsaved...I hate this stupid fence I find myself on allot lately :confused:
OSAS Nancy, is an incorrect deduction. It's as simple as that. Your quote from Revelation 22 above makes that clear.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The message of Jesus, the Gospel as presented by the apostles is not a magic formula that if one gives mental and or verbal assent to even publicly, is somehow the 'method' to use to achieve salvation.
We are subjects of a battle for allegiance and allegiance means throwing it all in for the prize. Jesus said, any man who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is not fit for the Kingdom of God.

Allegiance also means making the good news the single overarching factor that rules ones reality. It is a progressive reality as we strive and do battle with the many distractions bombarding us not to mention our own inherited negative dispositions and carnal tendencies.
This battle is waged with the promise of 'my grace is sufficient for you' all the while we strive as an athlete to finish the race.
Hebrews 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith but if any man draw back my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

Reactions: brakelite and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, the osas doctrine is a man-made falsehood.. Your only saved if you keep believing, and your only saved if your not a hypocrite.

Hello Dan,
Yes, I'm just so back and forth on it...am starting to see it a little differently - AGAIN, lol
..."Your only saved if you keep believing, and your only saved if your not a hypocrite.[/QUOTE]" <--- Does being a hypocrite hold some special weight over all the other sins? And, we Christians will sin until the day we go home...we are NOT going to, but we are being perfected.....but not until we have out glorious bodies. If you LIVE in that sin as in a lifestyle, I would question ones salvation but, we are still human and will still be fighting the flesh and satan until the Great and Glorious day of The Lord. God looks to the heart of every-man and sees what we do not...so, I cannot go with the you are saved!!! -unless. You are saved!!! if you do or do not do this or that...that to me IS legalism. It's like God is sitting in a swivel chair facing away and angry if we sin, repent, speak your sorrow, admit your sin...and...He swivels toward you again...sounds silly I know, but I can't see Him that way. It is the living IN sin, of any kind, on a regular basis (walking in the flesh) that separates us from Him...jmho
peace!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi there Nancy.

I have always wondered how Moses even knew that there was a Book Of Life.
Because when he sacrificially tells God to "blot him out" and not destroy the children Israel, is the first mention of any book-of-life!!
Maybe God told him lots of things that God told him, that he wasn't told to tell us in the first 5 books of the bible.

Or maybe God just dictated things to him during his time in the wilderness and he wrote them down as God spoke them to him.
Fun things to think about.

By Moses statement it does look as if everyone get put IN the Book, at birth, and blotted out when choices to follow God or not , are presented to them.

I must admit...it sometime irks me when I read people post and say that they know, this that or the other. And their posts are so confident that they have to correct answers to it all. So, I believe your confession and not knowing about OSAS and other things is healthy..it means your ear is still harkening to the Lord to show you things.

Obviously on many things we are solid on and we have them as foundations of our faith. But to be confident that even after 54 years with the Lord, I know all things...For myself...I can't do that. God is always speaking and He is always peeling of a skin and showing a new or deeper revelation of something if we are teachable.
Those that already know everything seem quite closed to any other inspiration of any verse or chapter etc.

So "for me" court is still out concerning Judgement. So , I cannot be cut and dried say what God intends for those blotted out.
This is because when I read some of the words of Jesus...it seems that no, not everything is already cut and dried.

Take Matthew for instance ...11
"Then began He to upbraid the cities wherein most of His mighty works were done, because they repented not:
21 Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.
22 But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you.
23 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.
24 But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee. "

So, that is why I have said that I do not believe the Day Of Judgement is going to be everything that people presume that they know it will be.

After all...this is The Almighty God trying to come down to the level of an ant and smaller...trying to communicate spiritual thing to us worms of humanity.

How on earth do people think that 'they know' just how everything at the end is going to be. It is, like it or not...a wait and see..

my dollars worth :D

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a believer in Christ think of all the sins you have committed. And will commit. Think of yourself as falling into a life of sin and turning away from God. Then what does this mean?

(Rom. 8:33-34) "Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?...."

The only one that can condemn you, is God. Yet it is He who justified you. If satan come and accuse you before God, do you picture Christ shaking his head and agreeing with him? Could Christ say to the Father, I just can't intercede for that one anymore? Really?

Balak hired Balaam a heirling prophet to curse Israel. And there was plenty of reason to curse Israel when you look at their constant rebellion against God through their wilderness wanderings. Plenty of sin, iniquity, and perverseness. But when Balaam rose up to speak he could only bless Israel. God would not allow curses from his mouth. (Num. 23:20-21) "Behold, I have received commandment to bless: and he hath blessed; and I cannot reverse it. He hath not beheld iniquity in Jacob, neither hath he seen perverseness in Israel; the LORD his God is with him, and the shout of a king is among them."

If your salvation is dependent on you, then you will most definitely lose it. But it's not. It is dependent on God, and Christ, and the Holy Spirit.

Stranger

Reactions: Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The message of Jesus, the Gospel as presented by the apostles is not a magic formula that if one gives mental and or verbal assent to even publicly, is somehow the 'method' to use to achieve salvation.
We are subjects of a battle for allegiance and allegiance means throwing it all in for the prize. Jesus said, any man who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is not fit for the Kingdom of God.

Allegiance also means making the good news the single overarching factor that rules ones reality. It is a progressive reality as we strive and do battle with the many distractions bombarding us not to mention our own inherited negative dispositions and carnal tendencies.
This battle is waged with the promise of 'my grace is sufficient for you' all the while we strive as an athlete to finish the race.
Hebrews 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith but if any man draw back my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
I seem to remember that you don't agree with me about something or other...but your first paragraph is exactly what some think and which is not taught in the Bible,,,walking down an isle does not, in and of itself save us,,,but having a sincere heart and following God will.

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As a believer in Christ think of all the sins you have committed. And will commit. Think of yourself as falling into a life of sin and turning away from God. Then what does this mean?

(Rom. 8:33-34) "Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?...."

The only one that can condemn you, is God. Yet it is He who justified you. If satan come and accuse you before God, do you picture Christ shaking his head and agreeing with him? Could Christ say to the Father, I just can't intercede for that one anymore? Really?

Balak hired Balaam a heirling prophet to curse Israel. And there was plenty of reason to curse Israel when you look at their constant rebellion against God through their wilderness wanderings. Plenty of sin, iniquity, and perverseness. But when Balaam rose up to speak he could only bless Israel. God would not allow curses from his mouth. (Num. 23:20-21) "Behold, I have received commandment to bless: and he hath blessed; and I cannot reverse it. He hath not beheld iniquity in Jacob, neither hath he seen perverseness in Israel; the LORD his God is with him, and the shout of a king is among them."

If your salvation is dependent on you, then you will most definitely lose it. But it's not. It is dependent on God, and Christ, and the Holy Spirit.

Stranger

God post Stranger!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi there Nancy.

I have always wondered how Moses even knew that there was a Book Of Life.
Because when he sacrificially tells God to "blot him out" and not destroy the children Israel, is the first mention of any book-of-life!!
Maybe God told him lots of things that God told him, that he wasn't told to tell us in the first 5 books of the bible.

Or maybe God just dictated things to him during his time in the wilderness and he wrote them down as God spoke them to him.
Fun things to think about.

By Moses statement it does look as if everyone get put IN the Book, at birth, and blotted out when choices to follow God or not , are presented to them.

I must admit...it sometime irks me when I read people post and say that they know, this that or the other. And their posts are so confident that they have to correct answers to it all. So, I believe your confession and not knowing about OSAS and other things is healthy..it means your ear is still harkening to the Lord to show you things.

Obviously on many things we are solid on and we have them as foundations of our faith. But to be confident that even after 54 years with the Lord, I know all things...For myself...I can't do that. God is always speaking and He is always peeling of a skin and showing a new or deeper revelation of something if we are teachable.
Those that already know everything seem quite closed to any other inspiration of any verse or chapter etc.

So "for me" court is still out concerning Judgement. So , I cannot be cut and dried say what God intends for those blotted out.
This is because when I read some of the words of Jesus...it seems that no, not everything is already cut and dried.

Take Matthew for instance ...11
"Then began He to upbraid the cities wherein most of His mighty works were done, because they repented not:
21 Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.
22 But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you.
23 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.
24 But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee. "

So, that is why I have said that I do not believe the Day Of Judgement is going to be everything that people presume that they know it will be.

After all...this is The Almighty God trying to come down to the level of an ant and smaller...trying to communicate spiritual thing to us worms of humanity.

How on earth do people think that 'they know' just how everything at the end is going to be. It is, like it or not...a wait and see..

my dollars worth :D

Fun things to think about. <----I know!

By Moses statement it does look as if everyone get put IN the Book, at birth, and blotted out when choices to follow God or not , are presented to them. <---this had never crossed my mind until this thread, VERY interesting.

Obviously on many things we are solid on and we have them as foundations of our faith.<---Yes, pure Gospel-He died, was buried, rose again the third day-for the sins of ALL mankind.

God is always speaking and He is always peeling of a skin and showing a new or deeper revelation of something if we are teachable.
Those that already know everything seem quite closed to any other inspiration of any verse or chapter etc. <---These folk, IMO really try to limit God Almighty...I believe we will be learning right into eternity an He will never be fully knowable---JMO :)

After all...this is The Almighty God trying to come down to the level of an ant and smaller...trying to communicate spiritual thing to us worms of humanity.<---EARS to hear EYES to see and the humility to soften those stiff necked no-it-alls. I am sure most do believe passionately what they believe but, do they still have a teachable spirit?

my dollars worth :D <----- for all that, and figuring in inflation I would say more like a thousand bucks worth, lol.

Good stuff!!!!!