Breaking down the seven churches

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First and foremost... This is my interpretation of the seven churches. You or your church may have different conclusions which is alright with me. I only ask that you give me something other than sarcasm if you reply... Thanks...

1. The Ephesan Candlestick:The Apostolic Church Age

The Ephesan Church age started on the day of Pentecost around 33 AD. Ephesus in the Greek is of uncertain determination but may mean “discoverer,” in which this is the first church age to “discover” the meanings of Christianity. It was Peter who first received the Holy Ghost and delivered the first sermon. Thus, according to Christ Jesus, Peter became the first rock in which he would build his church (Matthew 16:18), on which the gospel then spread.

“Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks; I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars: And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my names sake hast labored, and hast not fainted. Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.” –Revelations 2:1-5

The churches are ideally seven church ages because Christ walks in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks, which are the seven churches. The stars exist in seven constellations, Gods messengers in the palm of his right hand. These constellations are made up of each individual Christian who has his candlestick burning. In the biblical metaphor of the lamp; the lamp represents our body, the oil represents that which keeps the flame burning, and the flame represents spiritual light, which is faith, hope, and charity. The oil in our lamps is replenished with good fellowship, worship, revivals, church services, good works, the word of God, etc. As Christians we ought not only strive to keep our lamps trim and burning, but also be vibrant enough that we make a difference in the lives of others as well. Because this church age lost its first love (oil), the Lord also threatened to extinguish their candlestick (the flame). These problems were made evident in scripture as the Apostle Paul said that “all they which are in Asia be turned away from me” –2 Timothy 1:15. The angel is the “messenger” and is symbolic of he who is delivering the Gospel, which could be pastors, evangelists, teachers, etc. Note the words “tried them which say they are apostles,” this is the only reference to “apostles” in all the messages to the churches indicating that this is the first church age. This passage opens up with all the virtues that the apostolic church had going for them including the virtue of not being able to bear them which are evil. The Apostle John was the last messenger to the Ephesan Church Age, who “could not bear,” “Nicolaitanes,” such as Diotrephes (3Jn 1:9).

“But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate. He that hath an ear let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; to him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.” –Revelations 2:6-7

In Acts 6:5 we find one of the original seven deacons by the name of Nicholas, who started a sect called the Nicolaitanes, who set up a religious hierarchy to control the spiritual development of the common people, giving them absolute control over the laity. Their philosophy on man’s spiritual and physical natures implied that they were free to commit sexual immorality and over indulge themselves in every way. The Nicolaitanes deliberately made lewdness and immoral behavior a distinguishing characteristic of their lifestyle. The Lord in scripture considers it a virtue to abstain from this kind of doctrine. It should also be noted today that any Christian denomination where people behave like the Nicolaitanes should at all cost avoided, especially the sects that prey on the virtue of women and children, otherwise known as cults. The Lord will emphasize the phrase “He that hath an ear let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches,” over and over again in these passages. Thus indicating that we are suppose to have a spiritual sense to what the Lord is saying in our time, unlike the Nicolaitanes, who desired the people to have their ears tuned into the priests. This gives much responsibility to the believer not to believe everything a fellow Christian says, but to search the scriptures, and to cleave to what the spirit and the word speaks to the heart. The tree of the Garden of Eden symbolizes Gods desire for this life to be all about choices and decisions, in which the hope of this outline is to spur its readers is to kindle a good spiritual flame in this generation.

2. The Smyrnaean Candlestick:The Martyr Church Age (Timothy)

The Smyrnaean Church age began with the Roman Emperor Nero burning down Rome and accusing the Christians of doing it. Smyrna in the Greek means “Myrrh,” in which the Smyrnaean martyrs represented the most pure form of Christianity of all the church ages. The martyred crowns were many as the Smyrnaean church age progressed.

“And unto the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive; I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan. Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you in prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life. He that hath an ear let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.” –Revelations 2:8-11

Ye Shall Have Tribulation Ten Days…
Time Persecutor Description
67 AD Nero The Smyrna Church Age begins with Nero setting fire to Rome, and then blaming the Christians
81 AD Domitian Declaration that no Christian should be exempt from punishment, Paul’s Timothy died in 97 AD.
108 AD Trajan and Adrian Severe persecution against Christians from 108 to 138 AD during the time of the Bishop Ignatius
162 AD Marcos Aurelius Marcos Aurelius, commendable in study of philosophy, sharp and fierce towards Christians.
192 AD Severus This persecution was carried out by the will and prejudice of the people and extended into Africa.
235 AD Maximus Numberless Christians were slain without trial and burned indiscriminately in heaps
249 AD Decius Began because of the amazing increase in Christianity, and with the heathen temples forsaken.
257 AD Valerian The martyrs that fell during this persecution were innumerable, their tortures and deaths painful.
274 AD Aurelian A brief persecution that ended with the emperor’s assassination.
303 AD Diocletian The last persecution ended with Constantine’s triumph against Rome in 313 AD

If you ever feel unthankful in life just look into the lives of the folks in the church of Smyrna. During this time many gave their lives for the Christian faith by cruel and barbaric means. There were many stars in Smyrna such as Valentinus, whose acts of kindness is still

3. The Pergamean Candlestick: The Towers Church Age (Constantine)

The Pergamean Church Age began with Constantine’s triumph against pagan Rome at the Milvian Bridge. The liberation of Rome from the pagan powers reigned in the third church age. Because of the barbarian onslaught during this church age it was necessary for it to move into castles or towers, which is purgos in the Greek. It is recorded that half the human population would die from the barbarian onslaught, the church therefore would need to dwell in fortified structures.

“And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write: These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges; I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan’s seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth. But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Baalam, who taught Balak to cast a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication. So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which thing I hate. Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and fight against them with the sword of my mouth. He that hath an ear let him hear what the spirit saith unto the churches. To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in that stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that received it.” Revelations 2:12– 17

It was thought that Balaam, a prophet to his people, took a bribe from Balak to curse the people of Israel. So it was with the Nicolaitanes, who taught the people that fornication was ok, cursing the lives of others. This was true in the early life of St. Augustine, who as a young man went from sexual partner to sexual partner until being converted. As St. Augustine was traveling the Roman Empire he noted in his log that “In every man lieth a serpent,” indicating that the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes spanned the entire empire before the barbarians destroyed it. This Pergamean church then withstood the onslaught of the barbarians during the time of the Goths, Huns, Vandals, on up to the time of the Vikings. This was a very barbaric age in which the church moved out of the fields and into the castles such as we had in Constantinople.

"Therefore I say, He ordained that we should undergo death for the faith, which each man should do for the communion of the Church. For Christianity makes progress by the deaths of its followers. For if death were feared by the faithful, no man would be found to live with perfect faith. For the Lord Christ says, 'Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.'" (John 12:24) –Petilian’s discussions with St. Augustine. Note: “even in the days of wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr” refers to the previous church age. As the Bishop Pelitian and Augustine were hashing away at what direction the church should go, Pelitian made the comment that we should not fear dying as Christians, knowing that the state of the seed is better in the afterlife than in the former. A star in Pergamos was the good old St. Nicholas, who would ride into town with a switch and presents for the children, depending on how good they were.

4. The Thyatirean Candlestick: Catholic Church Age (Charlemagne)

It would be as an estimate that the Thyatirean Church age began with Charlemagne, who was a champion for the cause of Christianity. Appalled by the illiteracy of his time, Charlemagne imported scholars from Ireland, Britain, and Italy. Out of these schools were to arise the universities of Europe. In 787, Charlemagne issued to all the bishops and abbots of France a historic Capitulare de litteris colendis, or directive on the study of letters. It reproached ecclesiastics for “uncouth language” and exhorted every cathedral and monastery to establish schools where clergy and laity alike might learn to read and write. A further capitulary of 789 urged the directors of these schools to “take care to make no difference between the sons of serfs and of freemen, so that they might come and sit on the same benches to study grammar, music, and arithmetic.” Upon this foundation was the Thyatira church built. It was too bad we would not see any more Charlemagne’s during this church age.

“And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass; I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first. Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols. And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not. Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works. But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden. But that which ye have already hold fast till I come. And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations: And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father. And I will give him the morning star.” - Revelations 2:18 - 28

Charlemagne gave the church so much power with the edicts of his lifetime that the church age became corrupt to the point that it was compared to the evil woman Jezebel. The church began persecutions from denying folks communion to setting up great inquisitions. “Which have not known the depths of Satan” may refer to Dante Alighieri, who terrified Europe with his writings. The church became just as ruthless as the pagans before them in the arts of death and torture. The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate, in which the people of that time were relentless. The great tribulation came about in 1347, in which the Black Death killed an estimated 25% of the European population. Thyatira means to “blow smoke” in the Greek, possibly because of the darkness the Thyatireans would bring into the lives of others.

5. The Sardisean Candlestick: The Reformed Church Age (John Wycliff)

The beginnings of the Sardisean Church age can be traced in 1392, when John Wycliff translated the bible into English. Because of the strong influence of the Thyatireans, Wycliff’s books were burned and his remains exhumed. Nonetheless he started a flame that would lead to the reformation of the church. It was in 1517 that Luther would nail his 95 thesis and thus begin the Sardisean Church age. The Sardisean Church age was an age most adventurous! With the discovery of the new world in 1492, the rise of the English and Spanish empires, and the German reformation, would shed in a whole new era in discovery and adventure. There was also renewed religious fervor with John Bunyan, George Fox, Puritans, Moravians, non-conformists, Shakers, Quakers, Lutherans, Presbyterians, Baptists, Huguenots, and a whole new era of religious thinking.

And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead. Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God. Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee. Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy. He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.” – Revelations 3: 1-6

A regrettable fault in the Sardisean church age was in their ability to become just as evil as the Church they rebelled from. An example was the Anglican Church, who would persecute people for not acknowledging their book of prayer. There were also many regrettable wars in which Christians would fight against Christians, it seems that the only place Christian sects could dwell in unity was in the new world. The Lord here in scripture sought to strengthen the true light of reformation, which things were ready to die with the Sardisean Church age. The reason for this spiritual death was Europe’s unwillingness to accept a variety of faiths, to take over a faith, and to persecute those who would resist the faith. It seemed the desire of the Europeans to have a single faith within their country, and often times that faith would become just as evil as the faith they rebelled from. At the end of the Sardisean Church many of the good things died. The exceptions were the German Moravians, French Huguenots and the English Non-conformists, who were persecuted in their own countries. The Sardisean Church began in adventure and ended in violence. So the need of a new church age was imminent.

Out of Sardis also came many Baptist denominations, which believe in a single born again experience, unlike the Methodist which believe in many experiences such as sanctification and the witness of the spirit. Nonetheless much good fruit came out of Baptist doctrine in which there are still many good bible colleges and churches today. From the Primitive Baptist to the Southern Baptist, we see a wide array of church age influences, from the Sardisean age to the Laodicean. Note also that Sardis is a gem, or a hard rock, therefore the Sardiseans are very rigid and unchangeable in their beliefs.

6. The Philadelphian Candlestick: The Revived Church Age (John Wesley)
During the early years of John Wesley many Protestants were headed to America to escape the many wars and persecutions that were arising in Europe. John Wesley himself headed for America where he was a Priest in Savannah, Georgia until angry colonist drove him out. Upon returning to England in 1738 he went to a Moravian meeting in London where he felt his heart “strangely warmed.” This was the beginning of the Philadelphian Church, in which the Wesley revivals would issue in a new era of church age. Methodist missionaries brought Wesley’s doctrine to America in the 1760’s and Methodism quickly became the largest movement in America. From that time the Methodist church has split into many denominations including the African Methodist, Free Methodists, Wesleyan, and the Congregational Methodist Church. Others do not call themselves Methodist, but are related to varying degrees. The Salvation Army was founded by William Booth, a former Methodist. Charismatic or Pentecostal churches such as the Pentecostal Holiness Church, Church of God, Congregational Holiness, and the Assemblies of God also have roots in or draw from Wesleyan thought. Many denominations such as the Baptist church experienced Methodist “methods,” but indirectly as they participated in revivals, retreats, seminars, etc. Evangelists such as Dwight L Moody would claim to have received sanctification later in his career. There were also music revivals in Philadelphia with the likes of Charles Wesley, Isaac Watts, Ira Sankey, and Fanny Crosby to name a few. Circuit riders, evangelists, revivals, and camp meetings heralded in the Philadelphian Church Age, which resulted in many of dynamic church services. The doctrine of the Methodist Church developed into three main methods….

1. Salvation: Evidence – The sinner’s prayer. “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.” Romans 10:9 (Easy… Right?)
2. Sanctification: Evidence – Philadelphia - Love with a sweet spirit. “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;” –Hebrews 10:16
3. Witness of the Spirit: Evidence - Spiritual Power. “And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.” Acts 2:4

“And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth; I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name. Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee. Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth. Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown. Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.” -Revelations 3: 7-13

The hour of temptation that would try the world was the great depression followed by World War II. The open door allowed for the gospel in this church age to circle the world fulfilling the prophesy in Matthew 24:14 that the Gospel would be preached “in all the world.” It is with regret and a sigh that the author has seen the Philadelphia Church age come to an end and a new church age begin. With those of the old church age we find sanctification in its truest form. These folks who were truly sanctified had a sweet spirit, a working ethic, a natural charisma, and were folks who possessed the gift of sainthood. With the change in times we see the coldness and lukewarmness which throws us into Laodicea. But God has not left us totally in the darkness, for in Laodicea we will see the rise of the mega church. The Philadelphian Church age can be summed up by an unknown old time Tennessean preacher, who said these words…
“I like the old paths, when moms were at home, Christians rejoiced because they had victory, preachers preached from the bible, singers sung from the heart, and sinners turned to the Lord to be saved. A new birth meant a new life, salvation meant a changed life, and following Christ led to eternal life. Now being a preacher meant that you proclaimed the word of God, and being a deacon meant that you would serve the Lord, and being a Christian meant that you would live for Jesus, and being a Sinner meant someone was praying for you. Now the laws were based on the bible, people read the bible, the church taught the bible. Preachers were more interested in converts than in new clothes and new cars. God was worshipped, Christ was exalted, and the Holy Spirit was respected. Churches were where you found Christians on the Lord Day, rather than out in the garden, on the creek bay, on the golf course, or being entertained somewhere else. I still like the old paths best, sisters got married before having children, crime did not pay, hard work did and people knew the difference. Moms could cook, dads would work, and children behave. Husbands were loving, wives were supporting, children were polite. Women wore jewelry and men wore the pants. Women looked like ladies and men looked like gentlemen, and children looked decent. People loved truth and hated a lie; they came to church to get in, not to get out. Hymns sounded Godly, cursing was wicked and divorce was unthinkable. The flag was honored, America was beautiful, and God was welcomed. We read the bible in public, prayed in schools, and preached from house to house. To be called an American was worth dying for, to be called a Christian was worth living for, and to be called a traitor a shame. Sex was a personal word, homosexuality was not mentioned, and abortion an illegal word. “– As heard from Dr. Lowell Davey’s “Perspectives” on bbnradio.org.

7. The Laodicean Candlestick The Material Church Age (Dwight L Moody)

The Laodicean Church age was most probably born with the ease that came as Christians settled in America. Dwight L Moody could be the first real Laodicean as he angered the English from money made from book sales. This is in sharp contrast to John Wesley, who gave his book sales away to the needy.

“And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.” -Revelations 3:13-22

With the Laodicean church age we find too much focus on materialism. The scripture here did not condemn materialism; it condemned such focus on materialism that the true spiritual light disappears; condemning those overly indulged in the things of this world of having arrived at a place very low on the spiritual scale. Here is the spiritual scale of hot vs. cold…

SPIRITUAL LIGHT (REPRESENTING THINGS HOT)

ENTITIES OF LIGHT SUB-ENTITIES OF LIGHT
A. CHARITY Galatians 5 (The Holy Bible): Love, Joy , Peace, Fortitude, Patience, Gentleness, Goodness, etc. Caritus: Latin’s highest form of Love. Charit'e: French derivative, "Cheri" means beloved.
Charis: The Greek word for Grace (Unconditional Love). Chara: The Greek word for Joy. Chairo: Cheer
Eucharisteo: Greek word for gratitude, arguably one of the most important wavelengths of light. Say thank-you!
Charizomai: The Greek word for well-favored…. This is that “lucky” feeling that inspires us to move forward!
Chrestos: Useful (in manner or morals), gracious. Chrestotes: Excellence in character.
Charisma: Heavenly Graciousness Chrisma: Heavenly Anointing Christos: Christ!
B. FAITH Trust, Bravery, Optimism, Belief, Fortitude, Courage and Personal Drive. Determination:
C. HOPE Excitement, Enthusiasm, Optimism, Things ahead to look forward to. Dreams- the magic “Cinderella Stories”

SPIRITUAL DARKNESS (REPRESENTING THINGS COLD)

ENTITIES OF DARKNESS SUB-ENTITIES OF DARKNESS
A. HATRED As light is the opposite of darkness, so the things of charity are opposite the things of hatred.
B. WORRY Opposites of faith; fear, cowardliness, pessimism, passiveness, etc. (no need to get into great detail…)
C. DESPAIR Opposites of hope; feelings that you are missing out on life (…as we see enough of dark things these days).

In the previous church age to become sanctified was to acquire spiritual light. In the current church age there is no such doctrine. The Lord in scripture here counsels us to buy of him gold tried in the fire and as many as he loves he rebukes and chastens, which points to the many fallen church leaders this day who have been knocked down a few notches. We are in this church age to listen to the Lords voice and to repent (how hard is that?) when chastened by him. It is also interesting to note the need of eyesalve, this hints to a lost perspective resulting in spiritual darkness. The Lord wants us to see things in a new and clearer perspective. Scripturally, eyesalve will clear up the imagination so people can see that it’s not all about materialism. Good perspective comes with good devotions, mental input, praise and worship, prayer and fasting, relationships, finding of good company in good churches, and a lifestyle disciplined in the right direction. As Christians develop more and more of a relationship with Jesus Christ the evidence ought to be more spiritual light! Another regrettable bi-product that comes with coldness are the lazy habits developed from having it too easy, which adds to the coldness.

“It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of music, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth forever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the LORD; So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God.” - II Chronicles 5:13-14

It would be fitting to declare a second cold war on the spiritual coldness and deadness that will try to make its way into this church age. There are many mega churches these days that are worshiping churches and produce a good spiritual light. Good worship is a great way to discover the aspects of spiritual light. By some alchemy of spirit, when one begins to show spiritual light, the spiritual light becomes more easily attained. However the opposite is also true. Looking on the bad side of things, worry, fear, hate, gossip, sorrow, evil, church politics, the blame game, etc. cannot produce light and are very destructive in nature. Music leaders, such as Cindy Cruse Ratcliff have very good taste in what is good worship, which is the best way to defeat the spiritual coldness of our time. If deciding to attend one of these churches be sure to check out the “what we believe” section and make sure that the church is “bible believing.” Hopefully we will see more dynamics come out of Laodicea, a full summary on this church age cannot be written until after we have progressed further into it.

Zog Has-fallen

Jun 26, 2014
I’m very close to all your divisions of the time periods but I believe that the beginning and end points of the seven church ages may be specified more precisely.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
n2thelight said:
I feel they are simply the types of Churches from that time period,until now.......
It is my best bet... If I had to take a stab at the perspective of the seven churches that's what it would be. This mystery is expounded unto me from time to time. Especially when I turn the religious programming on and that's all the minister wants to talk about is 'increase.'

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some of the ones on TV are wayyyy to concerned about the money..... I get confused. One even asks for thousands from people. "Get your bank card, the Lord is putting it on your heart to give as much as you can. 100, 1000, 5000. Make that call now, use your bank card and we'll send you this $2 book to say thank you!" LOL Just seems a little greedy that's all.

What about these super churches???? Thoughts? I'll start a new thread.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that the churches are seven...

Ephesus - Apostolic - Paul lists all of Asia as having forsaken him
Smyrna - Early Orthodox -Foxes lists the persecutions as ten
Pergamos - Orthodox - Pergos is a tower... Needed in the dark ages
Thyatira - Catholic - The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate.
Sardis - Protestant - A sardius is a gem - elegant yet hard and rigid
Philadelphia - Methodist-Pentecostal- To be sanctioned is to acquire it with love.
Laodicea -Pentecostal-Charismatic-Independent Rich and increased with goods and have need of nothing?

In Laodicea is where everything started to get sloppy... Setting us up for the end times...

So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. - Revelation 3:16

Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; - 2 Thessalonians 2:3

I went shopping at Wally World (Wal*Mart) to exchange a battery that did not work in a lawn tractor. The lady behind the counter was full of satanic tattoos and had a pentagram hanging from her neck. I thought to myself... I do not know what is eviler... Wal*Mart tractor batteries or the sales associates and almost wrote the company on the matter.

On doing a search on the internet I have noticed more and more people taking notice on how nasty things are getting in the days and the times. I will post some images here... You can Google "walmart worst shopper" if you want more of an eyeful... My granny would insist that if I went to town that I went decent and clean... As did most of the folks in our area. Granny would be amazed at some of the sights we see at these stores!

Most of the images I searched could not be displayed here as they displayed way too much flesh...

funny-walmart-shoppers-28.jpg

a97762_rsz_no_words.jpg

wal_mart_78.jpg

3cc3b786f05cb18729f7b604c107b808.jpg

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many many many years ago I worked at wal-mart. It wasn't that bad back then but that same store today (almost 20 years later) has definitely met the criteria for the site. I try not to got there unless I absolutely have to.

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, rockytopva.

rockytopva said:
First and foremost... This is my interpretation of the seven churches. You or your church may have different conclusions which is alright with me. I only ask that you give me something other than sarcasm if you reply... Thanks...

1. The Ephesan Candlestick:The Apostolic Church Age

The Ephesan Church age started on the day of Pentecost around 33 AD. Ephesus in the Greek is of uncertain determination but may mean “discoverer,” in which this is the first church age to “discover” the meanings of Christianity. It was Peter who first received the Holy Ghost and delivered the first sermon. Thus, according to Christ Jesus, Peter became the first rock in which he would build his church (Matthew 16:18), on which the gospel then spread.

“Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks; I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars: And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my names sake hast labored, and hast not fainted. Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.” –Revelations 2:1-5

The churches are ideally seven church ages because Christ walks in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks, which are the seven churches. The stars exist in seven constellations, Gods messengers in the palm of his right hand. These constellations are made up of each individual Christian who has his candlestick burning. In the biblical metaphor of the lamp; the lamp represents our body, the oil represents that which keeps the flame burning, and the flame represents spiritual light, which is faith, hope, and charity. The oil in our lamps is replenished with good fellowship, worship, revivals, church services, good works, the word of God, etc. As Christians we ought not only strive to keep our lamps trim and burning, but also be vibrant enough that we make a difference in the lives of others as well. Because this church age lost its first love (oil), the Lord also threatened to extinguish their candlestick (the flame). These problems were made evident in scripture as the Apostle Paul said that “all they which are in Asia be turned away from me” –2 Timothy 1:15. The angel is the “messenger” and is symbolic of he who is delivering the Gospel, which could be pastors, evangelists, teachers, etc. Note the words “tried them which say they are apostles,” this is the only reference to “apostles” in all the messages to the churches indicating that this is the first church age. This passage opens up with all the virtues that the apostolic church had going for them including the virtue of not being able to bear them which are evil. The Apostle John was the last messenger to the Ephesan Church Age, who “could not bear,” “Nicolaitanes,” such as Diotrephes (3Jn 1:9).

“But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate. He that hath an ear let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; to him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.” –Revelations 2:6-7

In Acts 6:5 we find one of the original seven deacons by the name of Nicholas, who started a sect called the Nicolaitanes, who set up a religious hierarchy to control the spiritual development of the common people, giving them absolute control over the laity. Their philosophy on man’s spiritual and physical natures implied that they were free to commit sexual immorality and over indulge themselves in every way. The Nicolaitanes deliberately made lewdness and immoral behavior a distinguishing characteristic of their lifestyle. The Lord in scripture considers it a virtue to abstain from this kind of doctrine. It should also be noted today that any Christian denomination where people behave like the Nicolaitanes should at all cost avoided, especially the sects that prey on the virtue of women and children, otherwise known as cults. The Lord will emphasize the phrase “He that hath an ear let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches,” over and over again in these passages. Thus indicating that we are suppose to have a spiritual sense to what the Lord is saying in our time, unlike the Nicolaitanes, who desired the people to have their ears tuned into the priests. This gives much responsibility to the believer not to believe everything a fellow Christian says, but to search the scriptures, and to cleave to what the spirit and the word speaks to the heart. The tree of the Garden of Eden symbolizes Gods desire for this life to be all about choices and decisions, in which the hope of this outline is to spur its readers is to kindle a good spiritual flame in this generation.

2. The Smyrnaean Candlestick:The Martyr Church Age (Timothy)

The Smyrnaean Church age began with the Roman Emperor Nero burning down Rome and accusing the Christians of doing it. Smyrna in the Greek means “Myrrh,” in which the Smyrnaean martyrs represented the most pure form of Christianity of all the church ages. The martyred crowns were many as the Smyrnaean church age progressed.

“And unto the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive; I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan. Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you in prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life. He that hath an ear let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.” –Revelations 2:8-11

Ye Shall Have Tribulation Ten Days…
Time Persecutor Description
67 AD Nero The Smyrna Church Age begins with Nero setting fire to Rome, and then blaming the Christians
81 AD Domitian Declaration that no Christian should be exempt from punishment, Paul’s Timothy died in 97 AD.
108 AD Trajan and Adrian Severe persecution against Christians from 108 to 138 AD during the time of the Bishop Ignatius
162 AD Marcos Aurelius Marcos Aurelius, commendable in study of philosophy, sharp and fierce towards Christians.
192 AD Severus This persecution was carried out by the will and prejudice of the people and extended into Africa.
235 AD Maximus Numberless Christians were slain without trial and burned indiscriminately in heaps
249 AD Decius Began because of the amazing increase in Christianity, and with the heathen temples forsaken.
257 AD Valerian The martyrs that fell during this persecution were innumerable, their tortures and deaths painful.
274 AD Aurelian A brief persecution that ended with the emperor’s assassination.
303 AD Diocletian The last persecution ended with Constantine’s triumph against Rome in 313 AD

If you ever feel unthankful in life just look into the lives of the folks in the church of Smyrna. During this time many gave their lives for the Christian faith by cruel and barbaric means. There were many stars in Smyrna such as Valentinus, whose acts of kindness is still

3. The Pergamean Candlestick: The Towers Church Age (Constantine)

The Pergamean Church Age began with Constantine’s triumph against pagan Rome at the Milvian Bridge. The liberation of Rome from the pagan powers reigned in the third church age. Because of the barbarian onslaught during this church age it was necessary for it to move into castles or towers, which is purgos in the Greek. It is recorded that half the human population would die from the barbarian onslaught, the church therefore would need to dwell in fortified structures.

“And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write: These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges; I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan’s seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth. But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Baalam, who taught Balak to cast a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication. So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which thing I hate. Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and fight against them with the sword of my mouth. He that hath an ear let him hear what the spirit saith unto the churches. To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in that stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that received it.” Revelations 2:12– 17

It was thought that Balaam, a prophet to his people, took a bribe from Balak to curse the people of Israel. So it was with the Nicolaitanes, who taught the people that fornication was ok, cursing the lives of others. This was true in the early life of St. Augustine, who as a young man went from sexual partner to sexual partner until being converted. As St. Augustine was traveling the Roman Empire he noted in his log that “In every man lieth a serpent,” indicating that the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes spanned the entire empire before the barbarians destroyed it. This Pergamean church then withstood the onslaught of the barbarians during the time of the Goths, Huns, Vandals, on up to the time of the Vikings. This was a very barbaric age in which the church moved out of the fields and into the castles such as we had in Constantinople.

"Therefore I say, He ordained that we should undergo death for the faith, which each man should do for the communion of the Church. For Christianity makes progress by the deaths of its followers. For if death were feared by the faithful, no man would be found to live with perfect faith. For the Lord Christ says, 'Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.'" (John 12:24) –Petilian’s discussions with St. Augustine. Note: “even in the days of wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr” refers to the previous church age. As the Bishop Pelitian and Augustine were hashing away at what direction the church should go, Pelitian made the comment that we should not fear dying as Christians, knowing that the state of the seed is better in the afterlife than in the former. A star in Pergamos was the good old St. Nicholas, who would ride into town with a switch and presents for the children, depending on how good they were.

4. The Thyatirean Candlestick: Catholic Church Age (Charlemagne)

It would be as an estimate that the Thyatirean Church age began with Charlemagne, who was a champion for the cause of Christianity. Appalled by the illiteracy of his time, Charlemagne imported scholars from Ireland, Britain, and Italy. Out of these schools were to arise the universities of Europe. In 787, Charlemagne issued to all the bishops and abbots of France a historic Capitulare de litteris colendis, or directive on the study of letters. It reproached ecclesiastics for “uncouth language” and exhorted every cathedral and monastery to establish schools where clergy and laity alike might learn to read and write. A further capitulary of 789 urged the directors of these schools to “take care to make no difference between the sons of serfs and of freemen, so that they might come and sit on the same benches to study grammar, music, and arithmetic.” Upon this foundation was the Thyatira church built. It was too bad we would not see any more Charlemagne’s during this church age.

“And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass; I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first. Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols. And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not. Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works. But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden. But that which ye have already hold fast till I come. And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations: And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father. And I will give him the morning star.” - Revelations 2:18 - 28

Charlemagne gave the church so much power with the edicts of his lifetime that the church age became corrupt to the point that it was compared to the evil woman Jezebel. The church began persecutions from denying folks communion to setting up great inquisitions. “Which have not known the depths of Satan” may refer to Dante Alighieri, who terrified Europe with his writings. The church became just as ruthless as the pagans before them in the arts of death and torture. The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate, in which the people of that time were relentless. The great tribulation came about in 1347, in which the Black Death killed an estimated 25% of the European population. Thyatira means to “blow smoke” in the Greek, possibly because of the darkness the Thyatireans would bring into the lives of others.

5. The Sardisean Candlestick: The Reformed Church Age (John Wycliff)

The beginnings of the Sardisean Church age can be traced in 1392, when John Wycliff translated the bible into English. Because of the strong influence of the Thyatireans, Wycliff’s books were burned and his remains exhumed. Nonetheless he started a flame that would lead to the reformation of the church. It was in 1517 that Luther would nail his 95 thesis and thus begin the Sardisean Church age. The Sardisean Church age was an age most adventurous! With the discovery of the new world in 1492, the rise of the English and Spanish empires, and the German reformation, would shed in a whole new era in discovery and adventure. There was also renewed religious fervor with John Bunyan, George Fox, Puritans, Moravians, non-conformists, Shakers, Quakers, Lutherans, Presbyterians, Baptists, Huguenots, and a whole new era of religious thinking.

And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead. Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God. Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee. Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy. He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.” – Revelations 3: 1-6

A regrettable fault in the Sardisean church age was in their ability to become just as evil as the Church they rebelled from. An example was the Anglican Church, who would persecute people for not acknowledging their book of prayer. There were also many regrettable wars in which Christians would fight against Christians, it seems that the only place Christian sects could dwell in unity was in the new world. The Lord here in scripture sought to strengthen the true light of reformation, which things were ready to die with the Sardisean Church age. The reason for this spiritual death was Europe’s unwillingness to accept a variety of faiths, to take over a faith, and to persecute those who would resist the faith. It seemed the desire of the Europeans to have a single faith within their country, and often times that faith would become just as evil as the faith they rebelled from. At the end of the Sardisean Church many of the good things died. The exceptions were the German Moravians, French Huguenots and the English Non-conformists, who were persecuted in their own countries. The Sardisean Church began in adventure and ended in violence. So the need of a new church age was imminent.

Out of Sardis also came many Baptist denominations, which believe in a single born again experience, unlike the Methodist which believe in many experiences such as sanctification and the witness of the spirit. Nonetheless much good fruit came out of Baptist doctrine in which there are still many good bible colleges and churches today. From the Primitive Baptist to the Southern Baptist, we see a wide array of church age influences, from the Sardisean age to the Laodicean. Note also that Sardis is a gem, or a hard rock, therefore the Sardiseans are very rigid and unchangeable in their beliefs.

6. The Philadelphian Candlestick: The Revived Church Age (John Wesley)
During the early years of John Wesley many Protestants were headed to America to escape the many wars and persecutions that were arising in Europe. John Wesley himself headed for America where he was a Priest in Savannah, Georgia until angry colonist drove him out. Upon returning to England in 1738 he went to a Moravian meeting in London where he felt his heart “strangely warmed.” This was the beginning of the Philadelphian Church, in which the Wesley revivals would issue in a new era of church age. Methodist missionaries brought Wesley’s doctrine to America in the 1760’s and Methodism quickly became the largest movement in America. From that time the Methodist church has split into many denominations including the African Methodist, Free Methodists, Wesleyan, and the Congregational Methodist Church. Others do not call themselves Methodist, but are related to varying degrees. The Salvation Army was founded by William Booth, a former Methodist. Charismatic or Pentecostal churches such as the Pentecostal Holiness Church, Church of God, Congregational Holiness, and the Assemblies of God also have roots in or draw from Wesleyan thought. Many denominations such as the Baptist church experienced Methodist “methods,” but indirectly as they participated in revivals, retreats, seminars, etc. Evangelists such as Dwight L Moody would claim to have received sanctification later in his career. There were also music revivals in Philadelphia with the likes of Charles Wesley, Isaac Watts, Ira Sankey, and Fanny Crosby to name a few. Circuit riders, evangelists, revivals, and camp meetings heralded in the Philadelphian Church Age, which resulted in many of dynamic church services. The doctrine of the Methodist Church developed into three main methods….

1. Salvation: Evidence – The sinner’s prayer. “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.” Romans 10:9 (Easy… Right?)
2. Sanctification: Evidence – Philadelphia - Love with a sweet spirit. “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;” –Hebrews 10:16
3. Witness of the Spirit: Evidence - Spiritual Power. “And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.” Acts 2:4

“And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth; I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name. Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee. Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth. Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown. Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.” -Revelations 3: 7-13

The hour of temptation that would try the world was the great depression followed by World War II. The open door allowed for the gospel in this church age to circle the world fulfilling the prophesy in Matthew 24:14 that the Gospel would be preached “in all the world.” It is with regret and a sigh that the author has seen the Philadelphia Church age come to an end and a new church age begin. With those of the old church age we find sanctification in its truest form. These folks who were truly sanctified had a sweet spirit, a working ethic, a natural charisma, and were folks who possessed the gift of sainthood. With the change in times we see the coldness and lukewarmness which throws us into Laodicea. But God has not left us totally in the darkness, for in Laodicea we will see the rise of the mega church. The Philadelphian Church age can be summed up by an unknown old time Tennessean preacher, who said these words…
“I like the old paths, when moms were at home, Christians rejoiced because they had victory, preachers preached from the bible, singers sung from the heart, and sinners turned to the Lord to be saved. A new birth meant a new life, salvation meant a changed life, and following Christ led to eternal life. Now being a preacher meant that you proclaimed the word of God, and being a deacon meant that you would serve the Lord, and being a Christian meant that you would live for Jesus, and being a Sinner meant someone was praying for you. Now the laws were based on the bible, people read the bible, the church taught the bible. Preachers were more interested in converts than in new clothes and new cars. God was worshipped, Christ was exalted, and the Holy Spirit was respected. Churches were where you found Christians on the Lord Day, rather than out in the garden, on the creek bay, on the golf course, or being entertained somewhere else. I still like the old paths best, sisters got married before having children, crime did not pay, hard work did and people knew the difference. Moms could cook, dads would work, and children behave. Husbands were loving, wives were supporting, children were polite. Women wore jewelry and men wore the pants. Women looked like ladies and men looked like gentlemen, and children looked decent. People loved truth and hated a lie; they came to church to get in, not to get out. Hymns sounded Godly, cursing was wicked and divorce was unthinkable. The flag was honored, America was beautiful, and God was welcomed. We read the bible in public, prayed in schools, and preached from house to house. To be called an American was worth dying for, to be called a Christian was worth living for, and to be called a traitor a shame. Sex was a personal word, homosexuality was not mentioned, and abortion an illegal word. “– As heard from Dr. Lowell Davey’s “Perspectives” on bbnradio.org.

7. The Laodicean Candlestick The Material Church Age (Dwight L Moody)

The Laodicean Church age was most probably born with the ease that came as Christians settled in America. Dwight L Moody could be the first real Laodicean as he angered the English from money made from book sales. This is in sharp contrast to John Wesley, who gave his book sales away to the needy.

“And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.” -Revelations 3:13-22

With the Laodicean church age we find too much focus on materialism. The scripture here did not condemn materialism; it condemned such focus on materialism that the true spiritual light disappears; condemning those overly indulged in the things of this world of having arrived at a place very low on the spiritual scale. Here is the spiritual scale of hot vs. cold…

SPIRITUAL LIGHT (REPRESENTING THINGS HOT)

ENTITIES OF LIGHT SUB-ENTITIES OF LIGHT
A. CHARITY Galatians 5 (The Holy Bible): Love, Joy , Peace, Fortitude, Patience, Gentleness, Goodness, etc. Caritus: Latin’s highest form of Love. Charit'e: French derivative, "Cheri" means beloved.
Charis: The Greek word for Grace (Unconditional Love). Chara: The Greek word for Joy. Chairo: Cheer
Eucharisteo: Greek word for gratitude, arguably one of the most important wavelengths of light. Say thank-you!
Charizomai: The Greek word for well-favored…. This is that “lucky” feeling that inspires us to move forward!
Chrestos: Useful (in manner or morals), gracious. Chrestotes: Excellence in character.
Charisma: Heavenly Graciousness Chrisma: Heavenly Anointing Christos: Christ!
B. FAITH Trust, Bravery, Optimism, Belief, Fortitude, Courage and Personal Drive. Determination:
C. HOPE Excitement, Enthusiasm, Optimism, Things ahead to look forward to. Dreams- the magic “Cinderella Stories”

SPIRITUAL DARKNESS (REPRESENTING THINGS COLD)

ENTITIES OF DARKNESS SUB-ENTITIES OF DARKNESS
A. HATRED As light is the opposite of darkness, so the things of charity are opposite the things of hatred.
B. WORRY Opposites of faith; fear, cowardliness, pessimism, passiveness, etc. (no need to get into great detail…)
C. DESPAIR Opposites of hope; feelings that you are missing out on life (…as we see enough of dark things these days).

In the previous church age to become sanctified was to acquire spiritual light. In the current church age there is no such doctrine. The Lord in scripture here counsels us to buy of him gold tried in the fire and as many as he loves he rebukes and chastens, which points to the many fallen church leaders this day who have been knocked down a few notches. We are in this church age to listen to the Lords voice and to repent (how hard is that?) when chastened by him. It is also interesting to note the need of eyesalve, this hints to a lost perspective resulting in spiritual darkness. The Lord wants us to see things in a new and clearer perspective. Scripturally, eyesalve will clear up the imagination so people can see that it’s not all about materialism. Good perspective comes with good devotions, mental input, praise and worship, prayer and fasting, relationships, finding of good company in good churches, and a lifestyle disciplined in the right direction. As Christians develop more and more of a relationship with Jesus Christ the evidence ought to be more spiritual light! Another regrettable bi-product that comes with coldness are the lazy habits developed from having it too easy, which adds to the coldness.

“It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of music, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth forever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the LORD; So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God.” - II Chronicles 5:13-14

It would be fitting to declare a second cold war on the spiritual coldness and deadness that will try to make its way into this church age. There are many mega churches these days that are worshiping churches and produce a good spiritual light. Good worship is a great way to discover the aspects of spiritual light. By some alchemy of spirit, when one begins to show spiritual light, the spiritual light becomes more easily attained. However the opposite is also true. Looking on the bad side of things, worry, fear, hate, gossip, sorrow, evil, church politics, the blame game, etc. cannot produce light and are very destructive in nature. Music leaders, such as Cindy Cruse Ratcliff have very good taste in what is good worship, which is the best way to defeat the spiritual coldness of our time. If deciding to attend one of these churches be sure to check out the “what we believe” section and make sure that the church is “bible believing.” Hopefully we will see more dynamics come out of Laodicea, a full summary on this church age cannot be written until after we have progressed further into it.
With all due respect to you as a brother and to the time you have obviously put into all this, the perspective that these 7 churches represent 7 church ages is not only unfounded but disrespects the original churches within those towns.

They were simply 7 towns located in a semi-circular path through Asia Minor, today called Turkey. Their order is because this is the order of the towns as one who was traveling from the shore closest to the Isle of Patmos would find them if they took that particular road. What would your theory have looked like if the messenger carrying Revelation to the churches (gatherings) within those towns would have traveled along a different road? Forgive me, but I think that these short letters to the messengers (Greek: aggeloi), which we call “pastors” today, for each of these seven congregations in their respective towns were addressed SPECIFICALLY and INDIVIDUALLY to the pastors of these seven towns ONLY!

While we can glean truth from each of these letters addressed to congregations with different challenges, successes, and failures, beyond such application one is simply allegorizing the text into La-la Land!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Retrobyter said:
Shalom, rockytopva.

With all due respect to you as a brother and to the time you have obviously put into all this, the perspective that these 7 churches represent 7 church ages is not only unfounded but disrespects the original churches within those towns.

They were simply 7 towns located in a semi-circular path through Asia Minor, today called Turkey. Their order is because this is the order of the towns as one who was traveling from the shore closest to the Isle of Patmos would find them if they took that particular road. What would your theory have looked like if the messenger carrying Revelation to the churches (gatherings) within those towns would have traveled along a different road? Forgive me, but I think that these short letters to the messengers (Greek: aggeloi), which we call “pastors” today, for each of these seven congregations in their respective towns were addressed SPECIFICALLY and INDIVIDUALLY to the pastors of these seven towns ONLY!

While we can glean truth from each of these letters addressed to congregations with different challenges, successes, and failures, beyond such application one is simply allegorizing the text into La-la Land!
The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches. - Revelation 1:20

Then the seven churches are no mystery!

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then the seven churches are no mystery! Correct, the answer to the mystery was supplied in Rev. 1:20.