BUT HE WHO SAID TO HIM "THOU ART MY SON, TODAY I HAVE BEGOTTEN THEE"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
BUT HE WHO SAID TO HIM "THOU ART MY SON, TODAY I HAVE BEGOTTEN THEE": all o lalesas (AAPMSN) pros auton Huios mou ei (2SPAI) su ego semeron gegenneka (1SRAI) se:

Having just stated that no man was entitled to appoint himself as high priest but that he became such only by divine call, even Christ did not make Himself High Priest, but God the Father recognized Him as such. The writer's argument is that just as much as Jesus was declared to be the Son of God by God Himself (Psalm 2:7), so also Jesus was declared to be a priest forever according to a different order, not of Levi but of Melchizedek (Psalm 110:4).

Spurgeon - The text is quoted from Psalm 2, and it proves that Christ did not arrogate to Himself any position before God. He is God’s Son, not merely because He calls Himself so, but because the Father says, “You are my Son, today have I begotten you.” He took not this honor upon Himself, but He was “called of God, as was Aaron.”

Phil Newton adds that "None of the angels were declared to be the Son of God. The same is true of the high priests. They were sons of Aaron, the first high priest in the tribe of Levi and father and grandfather of all who followed.

Quoting from the second Psalm a passage already quoted in He 1:5, the writer now declares the uniqueness of the sonship of Jesus Christ. In that Psalm the ancient hymnist muses on the nations' rebellion against the Creator as Sovereign. Here he declares that God the Creator has "installed" His King-Jesus Christ the Lord-to rule the nations!

How does he identify this King? "YOU ARE MY SON, TODAY I HAVE BEGOTTEN YOU." Even in the face of Neronian persecution these struggling believers could have confidence that God the Son reigns! They did not have to go on in fear but with confidence that His purposes would be accomplished because He reigns over the nations. The emphasis on "You are My Son" points to the Incarnation. He is the eternal Son of God without beginning or end; but He is also the Son born in time-born of woman, embracing a human nature forever.

We could think of His reigning over humanity from his lofty heavenly throne without being human. But we could not think of Him serving as our high priest without being one of us. Thus the Incarnation is the declaration of the Son of God becoming a Son of Man, so that as high priest mediating the way for us, we might become sons of God. (Jesus Christ: Qualified as High Priest Hebrews 5:1-10) (Bolding added)

Psalm 2 is a Psalm which is indisputably Messianic as shown by the fact that the NT writers quote from it in references that are clearly speaking of Jesus. The reader is encouraged to listen to the two part exposition (each about 45 minutes) of this great psalm by my dear brother in Christ, Tony Garland - Mp3 Part 1 ; Mp3 Part 2 (Or see the Pdf transcript Why Do the Nations Rage?). The Jewish readers of this exhortational letter ("sermon") to the Hebrews undoubtedly understood Psalm 2 and Psalm 110 (quoted in the next verse - Hebrews 5:6) as prophecies related to the Messiah, their Hope.

And so the writer buttresses his argument by quoting from Psalm 2:7. As you recall, the writer had previously quoted from Psalm 2:7 in He 1:5 (note) using this quotation to establish the fact that Christ was superior to the angels. Now in Hebrews 5 the writer quotes from this same psalm to help him establish that the priesthood of Christ is superior to the Levitical priesthood, for no Levitical priest was ever called the Son of God.

Psalm 2:7 "I will surely tell of the decree of the LORD: He said to Me, 'Thou art My Son, Today I have begotten Thee.

Psalm 2:7-note is also quoted by Paul in Acts 13. Upon Jesus' resurrection God is said to have declared Christ as begotten, Luke recording Paul's quotation from Psalm 2 stating…

that God has fulfilled this promise to our children in that He raised up Jesus, as it is also written in the second Psalm, 'THOU ART MY SON; TODAY I HAVE BEGOTTEN THEE.' (Acts 13:3)

In the context of Acts 13 Paul relates the prophecy in Psalm 2:7 to Christ's resurrection, rather than His incarnation. Jesus’ resurrection from the dead marks the time at which Jesus could fully assume His role as our great High Priest. In other words, prior to this time (as far as I can discern from the Scriptures) Jesus did not function specifically as the Great High Priest.

Note that in Acts, Paul referred to Psalm 2 as the "the second psalm," supporting that the chapter divisions in the book of Psalms are not the product of medieval scholars.

In a parallel passage Paul writes that Jesus…

was declared the Son of God with power by the resurrection from the dead (i.e., the resurrection of Jesus is proof of His deity), according to the Spirit of holiness, Jesus Christ our Lord (Ro 1:4-note)

Spurgeon commenting on Psalm 2:7 writes…

This Psalm wears something of a dramatic form, for now another person is introduced as speaking. We have looked into the council chamber of the wicked, and to the throne of God, and now we behold the Anointed (Ed note: the Messiah) declaring His rights of sovereignty, and warning the traitors of their doom.

God has laughed at the counsel and ravings of the wicked, and now Christ, the Anointed, Himself comes forward, as the Risen Redeemer, "declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead." Romans 1:4. Looking into the angry faces of the rebellious kings, the Anointed One seems to say, "If this sufficeth not to make you silent."

I will declare the decree. Now this decree is directly in conflict with the device of man, for its tenor is the establishment of the very dominion against which the nations are raving.

Thou art my Son. Here is a noble proof of the glorious Divinity of our Immanuel. "For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee?" What a mercy to have a Divine Redeemer in Whom to rest our confidence!

This day have I begotten thee. If this refers to the Godhead of our Lord, let us not attempt to fathom it, for it is a great truth, a truth reverently to be received, but not irreverently to be scanned. It may be added, that if this relates to the Begotten One in his human nature, we must here also rejoice in the mystery, but not attempt to violate its sanctity by intrusive prying into the secrets of the Eternal God. The things which are revealed are enough, without venturing into vain speculations. In attempting to define the Trinity, or unveil the essence of Divinity, many men have lost themselves: here great ships have foundered. What have we to do in such a sea with our frail skiffs?

All glory to our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus.

J.

Status
Not open for further replies.