CAIN, ABEL, and PRIDE

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gen 4:3-8
3 And in the process of time it came to pass that Cain brought an offering of the fruit of the ground to the Lord.
4 Abel also brought of the firstborn of his flock and of their fat. And the Lord respected Abel and his offering,
5 but He did not respect Cain and his offering. And Cain was very angry, and his countenance fell.
6 So the Lord said to Cain, "Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen?
7 If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire is for you, but you should rule over it."
8 Now Cain talked with Abel his brother; and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother and killed him.
NKJV

We see that ABEL used a sacrificial animal’s blood as an offering to God as he was told to do. ABEL did not offer the works of his hands. It was God who brought about the life of the animal. But CAIN thought that God would accept the work of his hands instead, which God did not ask for.

Today it is the same. God gave His Son as a blood sacrifice and God expects man to believe it. But religious man, like Cain, wants God to accept his works instead. WHY???

The answer is PRIDE. With Cain his pride drove him to kill his brother.

Reactions: FHII and Nancy

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
3 And in the process of time it came to pass that Cain brought an offering of the fruit of the ground to the Lord.
4 Abel also brought of the firstborn of his flock and of their fat. And the Lord respected Abel and his offering,
5 but He did not respect Cain and his offering. And Cain was very angry, and his countenance fell.
6 So the Lord said to Cain, "Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen?
7 If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire is for you, but you should rule over it."
8 Now Cain talked with Abel his brother; and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother and killed him.
NKJV

We see that ABEL used a sacrificial animal’s blood as an offering to God as he was told to do. ABEL did not offer the works of his hands. It was God who brought about the life of the animal. But CAIN thought that God would accept the work of his hands instead, which God did not ask for.

Today it is the same. God gave His Son as a blood sacrifice and God expects man to believe it. But religious man, like Cain, wants God to accept his works instead. WHY???

There is another way of seeing it. Cain’s pride murdered Abel making way for another (seed)to be given in Abel’s place. Genesis 4:9-10 “And the Lord said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper? [10] And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.”

The flesh slews us unto death and crucifixion of the flesh and it’s power and dominion over us and our old man is put to death. Genesis 4:8 “And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.” Now crucified (dead in the flesh)We cry out to God to be redeemed and given resurrection life: “For God...hath appointed me another seed(Christ) instead of Abel, whom Cain(the flesh) slew. To be born again from above.

Here is the resurrection: Genesis 4:25
[25] And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she , hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew. The flesh breaks the yoke of bondage from the neck: Supportive scripture: 1 Corinthians 5:1-5
[1] It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife. [2] And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you. [3] For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed, [4] In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, [5] To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are right but that is not the point I am presenting.

This thread is about one man's pride. It was Cain's pride that murdered Abel. What I see is so beyond what most think. Those who follow James statement faith without works only have to open their eyes to see that James was full of pride when he said I will show my faith by my works. He was following Cain's example. IMHO!!!!! Boy I bet the Religious will jump on this because their pride is so focused on what they do and not on what God's has already done for them. Just like Cain, they think God will owe them salvation because of their works and not because of God's work.

Most do not know that the one that wrote the book of James was not one of the 12 Apostles.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This thread is about one man's pride. It was Cain's pride that murdered Abel. What I see is so beyond what most think. Those who follow James statement faith without works only have to open their eyes to see that James was full of pride when he said I will show my faith by my works. He was following Cain's example. IMHO!!!!! Boy I bet the Religious will jump on this because their pride is so focused on what they do and not on what God's has already done for them. Just like Cain, they think God will owe them salvation because of their works and not because of God's work.

Most do not know that the one that wrote the book of James was not one of the 12 Apostles.
And is there no pride in your presentation of your belief in this matter?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Has anyone considered that when Jesus sat with His disciples in the upper room that He used the elements that Cain had used in Genesis 4 as the elements for the tradition of the Last Supper remembrance.

Shalom

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Has anyone considered that when Jesus sat with His disciples in the upper room that He used the elements that Cain had used in Genesis 4 as the elements for the tradition of the Last Supper remembrance.

Shalom

Explain.

Stranger

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Shalom

So you don't think that there was any lamb at that last supper?
If there was no roast lamb , then surly the Type was there...The Lamb Himself ...ready to be examined for those days by the priests and then Herod , for perfection ...and then slain. ✟

Oh whoops, sorry @H. Richard I guess this is off topic. :oops:

Reactions: Nancy

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NKJV

Are you sure it wasn't Jealousy, Just saying! Pride come-ith before a fall and a Haughty Spirit before Destruction!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Are you sure it wasn't Jealousy, Just saying! Pride come-ith before a fall and a Haughty Spirit before Destruction!
There was more to Cain than just jealousy or rebellion against God. The Bible says that "he was of the wicked one", and since that "wicked one" is none other that Satan, it would appear that Cain had placed himself under the control of Satan, so he became a wicked man. All evil thoughts and deeds were found in him -- pride, jealousy, anger, bitterness, hatred, malice, and ultimately murder.

Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous. (1 John 3:12).

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Explain.

Stranger

Is not Bread and wine derived from the "fruit of the ground."

So you don't think that there was any lamb at that last supper?
If there was no roast lamb , then surly the Type was there...The Lamb Himself ...ready to be examined for those days by the priests and then Herod , for perfection ...and then slain.

In my post, I had limited my comments to the element of the "Last Supper," as celebrated in churches today. I was not commenting on the Passover meal and what was being eaten, nor on the symbology of Christ being the Lamb of God.

I was simply pointing to the similarities of the elements used in both offerings of Cain and Christ and us today. To me that says a lot about God and His acceptance of who we are.

Shalom

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So is marijuana, cocaine, and heroin.

Stranger

And what was the context of my previous post, it was specific to the elements of the Last Supper, Christ used specific "fruits of the earth," as did Cain. If you have a problem with that, then take your argument up with the next higher person on the food chain.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And what was the context of my previous post, it was specific to the elements of the Last Supper, Christ used specific "fruits of the earth," as did Cain. If you have a problem with that, then take your argument up with the next higher person on the food chain.

My argument is with you. You're the one who said, bread and wine come from the fruit of the ground. And that is all you said. So, big deal. Thus my response.

So do you have some further explanation?

Stranger

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was more to Cain than just jealousy or rebellion against God. The Bible says that "he was of the wicked one", and since that "wicked one" is none other that Satan, it would appear that Cain had placed himself under the control of Satan, so he became a wicked man. All evil thoughts and deeds were found in him -- pride, jealousy, anger, bitterness, hatred, malice, and ultimately murder.

Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous. (1 John 3:12).

I checked out the Scripture, Dead on, I never saw that one, I probably glossed right over it. Thanks

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

tooldtocare

Jan 24, 2014
far side of the moon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With Cain his pride drove him to kill his brother.

I am a late comer in the story of ABEL & CAIN. In my view of things Cain murdered his brother, ABEL. My only question concerning this fable is whether Cain committed this act of murder before Moses presents his Ten Commandments or after?

Just curious

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My argument is with you. You're the one who said, bread and wine come from the fruit of the ground. And that is all you said. So, big deal. Thus my response.

So do you have some further explanation?

Stranger
Please Stranger, this need of yours is not needed. I will not respond as you seem to be having a problem with me, and I have no need to defend myself or what I have posted.

Good day

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
NKJV

Does not God give Cain a solution to his fallen countenance? Sadly the detail in the Bible is very light to provide a definitive insight into what God was telling Cain to do.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please Stranger, this need of yours is not needed. I will not respond as you seem to be having a problem with me, and I have no need to defend myself or what I have posted.

Good day

I have a problem with what you said. Which of course means I have a problem with you.

Sorry, but you are wrong. If you can't defend what you say, then it is best not to say it. Once said, you either back it up or retract it. Your decision to not respond is not an option.

Stranger

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does not God give Cain a solution to his fallen countenance? Sadly the detail in the Bible is very light to provide a definitive insight into what God was telling Cain to do.
Yes, I think He does. A "fallen countenance" simply means a frowning face and angry attitude.
Actually, God said, "Hey, if you didn't act the way you have been acting, wouldn't things be OK for you?"
This indicates that if Cain was to repent (change his mind [and his thinking and actions] ), then it would be cool. God is pretty plainly telling what to do — the opposite of what he obviously knew he was doing..... "Straighten up and fly right."

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Rubbish, James was not talking about his works at all, he is on about the Works of the Holy Spirit, the audience James is talking to are not heathens you know. he is talking about ones true faith in Jesus Christ.
Look James 2:26 and read all of 3:1-18 and 4:1-17 and you will see that James has Grace.
One can not have Grace if he does not have the Holy Spirit.

I know that fools believe there own works are of value, but that has nothing to do with Salvation of our Lord at all, because our works are nothing but filthy rags to the Grace of our Lord Jesus.

Heathens only claim there own works, and James in no Heathen that's for sure.

I don't know how some roman Catholic's can claim such rubbish as there works, I have a Catholic Bible and it sure as hell does not support such rubbish in the foot notes, but forbids such nonsense totally.
Sadly the new Catholic Bibles do not have foot notes and are a disgrace, I went to buy a new one I wanted a top shelf $100 one and I looked through it and was shocked and had to look for another old one in good nick and cost $75 for a 1961 year one.
I use the Authorized King James Bible mainly with the words of Jesus in red as it's a good little light book and then drag out the big one to check at times.