Can being overly critical be sinful?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to discuss when is it appropriate to correct someone and point out their flaws and also when it's not appropriate? So I will first quote scripture regarding the two great commandments:

Matthew 22:36-40

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

That stated, I see that some people think it is their requirement to point out flaws and correct people whenever they notice that.

But can pointing out someone's flaws and attempting at every turn to correct them become a sin? I think in order to correct someone we must use judgment and hopefully it's a righteous judgment. But I also think that someone that is critical of others and speaks to that effect often can cause them to stumble.

This is the "ethics and morality" section so that you get an idea of the type of discussion this is.

Can it be sinful to be overly critical?

Reactions: ScottA and marks

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to discuss when is it appropriate to correct someone and point out their flaws and also when it's not appropriate? So I will first quote scripture regarding the two great commandments:

Matthew 22:36-40

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

That stated, I see that some people think it is their requirement to point out flaws and correct people whenever they notice that.

But can pointing out someone's flaws and attempting at every turn to correct them become a sin? I think in order to correct someone we must use judgment and hopefully it's a righteous judgment. But I also think that someone that is critical of others and speaks to that effect often can cause them to stumble.

This is the "ethics and morality" section so that you get an idea of the type of discussion this is.

Can it be sinful to be overly critical?

It depends.

We are to correct those inside the church not outside (1 Peter 4:17) so spiritual criticism is for believers.

A wife can win her husband without a word (1 Peter 3:1) and its best for a wife to not nag her husband about his walk with the Lord but be a Holy example.

I think at times its wiser to overlook an offense (Proverbs 19:11) but a wise person will love you for correcting them.

Correcting believers should always be gentle and with a mind to restore.

And I don't know if there's a specific Scripture to back this but my belief is that its good to look for the good in others and not always point out the bad. I think there's virtue in it.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It depends.

We are to correct those inside the church not outside (1 Peter 4:17) so spiritual criticism is for believers.

A wife can win her husband without a word (1 Peter 3:1) and its best for a wife to not nag her husband about his walk with the Lord but be a Holy example.

I think at times its wiser to overlook an offense (Proverbs 19:11) but a wise person will love you for correcting them.

Correcting believers should always be gentle and with a mind to restore.

And I don't know if there's a specific Scripture to back this but my belief is that its good to look for the good in others and not always point out the bad. I think there's virtue in it.
I agree. Promote the good and I think provide encouragement for people to read the scriptures and they can work on the bad themselves with God. And perhaps that is a personal issue between God and the person. I do point out false doctrine sometimes. But if I don't get thru, I leave them alone. I think we are all at different walks in our lives and some are more spiritually mature than others. And time perhaps is all that is needed for correction.

Reactions: marks

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to discuss when is it appropriate to correct someone and point out their flaws and also when it's not appropriate?

“Correction is grievous unto him that forsaketh the way: and he that hateth reproof shall die.” (Proverbs 15:10)

“Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.” (Proverbs 26:4-5)

“Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.” (Leviticus 19:17)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I attended one church that expressed that a priesthood that is used as a method of force or compulsion is void to that mans priesthood. Perhaps the following scripture is where they got that teaching. And in constant correction if it is unwanted, does the spirit take part in that? There have been times when I have been in the spirit and overly corrected someone and the spirit rebuked me.

1 Peter 5:1-3 ESV / 9 helpful votes

So I exhort the elders among you, as a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, as well as a partaker in the glory that is going to be revealed: shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly; not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I attended one church that expressed that a priesthood that is used as a method of force or compulsion is void to that mans priesthood. Perhaps the following scripture is where they got that teaching. And in constant correction if it is unwanted, does the spirit take part in that? There have been times when I have been in the spirit and overly corrected someone and the spirit rebuked me.

1 Peter 5:1-3 ESV / 9 helpful votes

So I exhort the elders among you, as a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, as well as a partaker in the glory that is going to be revealed: shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly; not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock.

I'm not sure when and how much to correct if it is unwanted. I know I didn't always like hearing correction but it was true.

What Ive learned recently is that there are different types of heart conditions that are like soil. If someone is the hard soil, then your seed of faith won't be recieved well no matter what your approach is. Its not really up to you to make that person receptive. Just move on and witness to the next person. But that is witnessing, correcting believers may be different.

But theres a protocol for dealing with believers with sins that lead to death. Tell them one on one, then bring a witness or two, then get leadership involved.

Reactions: marks and dev553344

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“…rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith” (Titus 1:13)

In contrast we have:

“Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock.” (1 Peter 5:2-3)

Obviously this is not referring to behavioral and doctrinal issues.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Considering the following scripture:

James 4:17
17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

Does that mean that if I don't know to do a particular good then it isn't sin to me if I don't do it?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess what I'm getting at is that if I believe my denomination is good and I don't believe another denomination is good. Then can a person of another denomination say I'm sinning to believe mine given the verse quoted in James 4:17?

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
As Christians surely it's our duty to be good samaritans by correcting anybody (in a friendly way) who's making a fool of him/herself?..:)

"Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels.And the Lord's servant must not quarrel, instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will" (2 Timothy 2:23-26)

Reactions: dev553344

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Im not sure. Its a good question.
I was recently asking myself if judging someone is a sin.
My conclusion was no its not a sin but im interested to hear/read peoples thoughts

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ahh, yes, the "Ministry of Admonishment". I can still hear an old Scotsman who was responsible for QC on our new products' manufacturing lines lament in his Glasgow burr, "Nobody loves the @!#$%&* Quality Engineer!"

Do you have a 2"x4" in your own eye?

Some brothers and sisters have earned the right to point out my flaws. Some have not.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ahh, yes, the "Ministry of Admonishment". I can still hear an old Scotsman who was responsible for QC on our new products' manufacturing lines lament in his Glasgow burr, "Nobody loves the @!#$%&* Quality Engineer!"

Do you have a 2"x4" in your own eye?

Some brothers and sisters have earned the right to point out my flaws. Some have not.
LOL, yeah, I think maybe sometimes it's a telephone pole in the eye that gets me stirred up. As if they're the only one that has communication and authority with God.

There's a ministry of correction? The Church of Correctors? That would be the one to join as I would never have to admit I'm wrong :pursuit:

On a serious note. I would tend to agree. I accept criticism, but not from everyone. So I have my own types of people I will accept correction from, but not everyone.

Reactions: Lambano and marks

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On a serious note. I would tend to agree. I accept criticism, but not from everyone. So I have my own types of people I will accept correction from, but not everyone.
It depends on nature and closeness of the relationship, but also the seriousness of the offense. I will listen to my wife, and a handful of close friends, and I bloody well better listen to my boss's correction if I want to stay employed. Policemen and other authority figures might fall into that category. And certain types of behavior have potentially severe consequences, so I would do well to listen to that.

We could also spend a little time on the issue of "speaking truth to power". I want to be careful about opening THAT sack of snakes, but people in positions of power generally speaking have a VERY short list of people from whom they will accept correction. But again, the potential consequences of not speaking out have to be weighed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It depends on nature and closeness of the relationship, but also the seriousness of the offense. I will listen to my wife, and a handful of close friends, and I bloody well better listen to my boss's correction if I want to stay employed. Policemen and other authority figures might fall into that category. And certain types of behavior have potentially severe consequences, so I would do well to listen to that.

We could also spend a little time on the issue of "speaking truth to power". I want to be careful about opening THAT sack of snakes, but people in positions of power generally speaking have a VERY short list of people from whom they will accept correction. But again, the potential consequences of not speaking out have to be weighed.
Yes, I've learned recently an old lesson about who's criticism I accept and who's I ignore. Early on in my life I found myself in counseling. And because of it accepted a lot of new beliefs. And only after years of applying those beliefs I began to find most to be selfish that caused a lot of contention. I found myself quick to defend myself to preserve the inner peace I had acquired. My current counselor is a good Christian and I get much better advice these days though.

I saw a counseling article some time ago about a strange creature that had a bill like a duck and feathers like a peacock and a horn like a unicorn, etc. It had features from various creatures and couldn't fit in. And I think if we are too open to accept counsel and criticism from just anyone we can end up that way. I certainly did.

It is therefore important to find with a pure heart God and decide in our hearts what we believe and desire to be like. For me it's to be like God, although I'm far from it, I can still admire him and look for correction that is inline with that and ignore the rest. He is loving and slow to anger, not contentious. And so I don't think I'll have a problem fitting in so much. At least fitting in with the people of God. But perhaps not the worldly.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think along the lines of fitting in and not going against the grain there is how to be friendly. And for me sometimes that is to just stay quiet about my beliefs and being friendly. And I find that works with all types of people. And then you can become friends with a potential convert. And then I think praying about how to share and when to share or encourage is the key. A carefully placed word can be helpful, but I think compulsory correction can be harmful. And I think sometimes just being an example in deed with charity towards others and service can turn hearts towards the Lord. I've heard that from multiple people on how they eventually came to the faith.

Which brings me to the question. Does the Lord require us to share our beliefs with others as if it could become a compulsory demand God has made.

And I think the following is talking about being in the world and amongst the worldy and how to engage with the public.

Matthew 10:16
16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Noting that serpents wait for the right moment and hide in the rocks and bushes. And if they are harmless as doves what does that mean?

But don't get me wrong. I think proclaiming the good news to people that don't know is the good thing and the Holy Spirit can open doors during witnessing. But then there's the people that haven't received that. And sometimes I find my friends are among them. Then I think being an example might lead to some turning point for them perhaps.

Last edited:

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Consider this

fruits.jpg
We must judge their fruit in order to learn if it is good fruit. We must eat it and assess its quality.

I think the log in the eye is talking more about being a hypocrite. Don't judge someone who does the same thing you do.
:My2c: