How to debate the Bible: for beginners

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

brakelite

Ok guys, this thread is about, Can we live a Christian life and How do we explain that to a new Christian.
The debate among yourselves on sin would only be a good way to confuse them. So take it somewhere else.
You think sin has no relevance to a non believer asking about the Christian life?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You think sin has no relevance to a non believer asking about the Christian life?
Christianity as a whole has relevance to a new Christian. But where do we start? If you were standing in front of a new Christian in Church should two or three church members get in front of them and debate the meaning of things. We do not want to confuse them but give them guidance on where to start. Trying to impress a new Christian with your vast knowledge of the Bible will only confuse them. Got to start with the basics.

Reactions: Nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe the only problem is that we seek to save our lives?
Indeed! Jesus tells us the correct priorities:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. Matt 6:33-34

"But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God." Acts 20:24

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The law was not before sinai, that is your religion speaking, rejecting everything that your religion dictates to you.

There was no sin before Sinai?

Sin is the transgression of the law (1 John 3:4); and where there is no law there is no transgression (Romans 4:15).

More accurately, sin is not imputed where there is no law (Romans 5:13).

B

brakelite

Christianity as a whole has relevance to a new Christian. But where do we start? If you were standing in front of a new Christian in Church should two or three church members get in front of them and debate the meaning of things. We do not want to confuse them but give them guidance on where to start. Trying to impress a new Christian with your vast knowledge of the Bible will only confuse them. Got to start with the basics.
If I was speaking to a new Christian, I would be encouraging him that as he surrenders his life to Christ, continues in prayer and believes the Word and promises of scripture, he will discover, on an increasing daily basis, victory over sin. Which is a major part of the reason Jesus came, lived the perfect life, died, and rose again that He could share that life with us. I would imagine that a new Christian would then ask in a manner similar to this, what things must I now give up to be a good Christian... Which is similar to the question you are asking here... In other words, what is sin? Now for theological purposes we as Christians need to know the answer to that... But knowing that answer doesn't make anyone a better, or a worse Christian. It is our response to that knowledge that rejects how mature or immature we are in Him. To the newbie, I would suggest he not concern himself to much in that score. Focus on Christ and His transforming power, and He will reveal to you those things that need to be shed as he grows.
Just learn the basics. Learn to love... Even those you dislike. Paul said that so long as you love God you will fulfill the first 4 commandments. If you love your neighbour, you will fulfill the last 6 commandments. Those are the basics. The rest is character formation. And you have the rest of your life to develop that. And remember always... Without Christ you can do nothing... But with Christ all things are possible.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There was no sin before Sinai?

Sin is the transgression of the law (1 John 3:4); and where there is no law there is no transgression (Romans 4:15).

More accurately, sin is not imputed where there is no law (Romans 5:13).
Thats twisting words. Or is it you cannot read.

Rom 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
Rom 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

see sin was always in the world even before the law came. so much ignorance.

Joh_1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

and what happened when "MOSES brought in the law,

Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once
: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
Rom 7:10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
Rom 7:11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

How many times around teh mulberry bush does one need to go.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thats twisting words. Or is it you cannot read.

Rom 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
Rom 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

see sin was always in the world even before the law came. so much ignorance.

Joh_1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

and what happened when "MOSES brought in the law,

Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once
: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
Rom 7:10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
Rom 7:11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

How many times around teh mulberry bush does one need to go.
Where there is no law there is no transgression; and sin is the transgression of the law.

How then can there be sin where there is no law?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Where there is no law there is no transgression; and sin is the transgression of the law.

How then can there be sin where there is no law?
Are you so ignorant, Adam sinned against God without the law, when Moses brought in the law, Judgement came. This is what happens when men make the bible there God. Idolatry

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Adam had a law, "don't eat of the fruit; in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."
That was not a law. Now you are adding to, making up excuses for a lie. Really. You tell your kids, dont touch the flame it will burn you. Is that a law.... Trying to justify ones idol.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Indeed...any prohibition of wrong behaviour is a law.

For example, not going over the speed limit when driving...
Now you are changing the subject, , and you do not understand the law. Under mens law, if a man gets caught speeding, the officer may let him off with a warning, under Gods law, when a man commits an offense the only outcome is his blood, death, there is no other, thats why Christ had to die.

Reactions: Nancy

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now you are changing the subject, , and you do not understand the law. Under mens law, if a man gets caught speeding, the officer may let him off with a warning, under Gods law, when a man commits an offense the only outcome is his blood, death, there is no other, thats why Christ had to die.
Ezekiel 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
21 But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.
22 All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live.
23 Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord God: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?

B

brakelite

@mjrhealth . You said where there is no law, there is no iimputing sin. Scripture agrees with you, so that must be correct. So in the OT, where sin was imputed... And judged... As in the flood, them there must have been a law by which those preflood people did condemned.
If there was no law, why was Joseph so afraid to sin? Why was the king so afraid when he courted Abraham's wife of adultery was not condemned as sin? Surely they knew there was a law. Maybe not written... But a law nevertheless.
Today, the church teaches the law is now void by the blood of Christ, so that when Christians sin, that sin is not imputed to them. Such confusion. You have your own religion mjr which users only choice scriptures that you believe approves of your lifestyle where there is no authority informing you of your duty. Like the rest of scripture.

B

brakelite

Bingo. Which is why we need to be born again to uphold the law through the power and grace of God... Them there is no commendation for them who are in Christ Jesus, because
KJV Romans 13
9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
Only in Christ is real love possible. The kind of love that fulfills the law. But if your life is not in harmony with the law... Then I suggest Christ is not in it to the extent He needs to be. You are calling short. And that is sin.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Today, the church teaches the law is now void by the blood of Christ, so that when Christians sin, that sin is not imputed to them.

That is biblical doctrine (Romans 3:19, Romans 6:14; Romans 7:4, Galatians 2:19; Romans 7:6...1 John 3:4, Romans 4:15; Romans 5:13).

Which is not to say that the law isn't written on the heart and in the mind of the true believer; so that he will be obedient to the word of the Lord and not sin.

In other words, our motivation for obeying the Lord and not sinning is not because we would be condemned by the law if we sin. It is that we love the Lord Jesus and want to please Him. And if this is not true of us, we should question as to whether we are in fact saved.

Last edited:

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
They have no law to keep. You still cannot see it can you, with the law you have condemnation with Christ you do not. But you want the best of both worlds.

Rev 3:15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
Rev 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Such confusion. You have your own religion mjr which users only choice scriptures that you believe approves of your lifestyle where there is no authority informing you of your duty. Like the rest of scripture.
Christ is not a religion should i post it again.

1Co 6:15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.
1Co 6:16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
1Co 6:17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

But you love you religion and will fight the for it even to your death, but than you have no right to come here and tell any other man His religion is wrong because all he is doing what you did, picked the bits that tickle the flesh and made a religion that suited him.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sin,what is sin, some would consider smoking and drinking sin, but are they, in themselves they are not a sin but what you do with them can become sin. If you smoke and someone asks you to stop because they dont like it, but you refuse than you have sinned against them, even drinking, nothing wrong with it, but if you drink to become drunk than start abusing people than it has become a sin. Problem is no one can actually determine what is sin, it all depends on the person, even teh religion.

Oh. Haha. It was the rest of the post after that sentence about sin I was wondering about. :)