Can we trust Jesus promises ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread is for the discussion on passages about Eternal Life. If you cannot stay on topic I will not respond as we are discussing passages about Eternal Life, nothing else. If you cannot handle that discussion and stay on topic then by all means do not respond.

Eternal life is what its name suggests an unending or everlasting life. If eternal life could be lost then it is misnamed because it wouldn’t really be eternal and be referred to as temporal or conditional life. All who have eternal life will live forever with Christ in heaven. No one who has come to faith in Christ will ever be cast out and go to the lake of fire that was prepared for the devil and his angels. Once you believe in Christ your eternal destiny in God’s kingdom sealed and is guaranteed.

Eternal life is not just unending life. It is the life we now have in God through Jesus. John refers to Jesus Christ Himself as eternal life. It is life that comes from God. A person who has eternal life has God’s life within him.

It is obvious that eternal life doesn’t begin when we die. Jesus said, He who believes in Me has (present tense) everlasting life. He didn’t say that the one who believes in Him will have (future tense) everlasting life. He said that he has eternal life in the here and now from that very first moment of faith. Eternal life is unending life.

Jesus, Paul and John emphasize that eternal life is a present reality and the present possession of the Christian in the here and now. It will have its ultimate fulfillment in the future but every believer has eternal life at the moment they believe in the Son of God.

Jesus said I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. (John 10:28).That means nothing or no one can remove a believer from Christ.

Jesus tells us in John 3:15-16 that whoever believes in Jesus Christ will have eternal life, not might have but actually possesses that everlasting life. If a person is promised eternal life and then to have it taken away then it was never eternal to begin with and it makes Jesus out to be a liar and the promises of God to be false. Below we see more promises the believer can count on for eternal life now and in the future. We can be confident in the promises of God.

John 3:16
16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

John 3:18
Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

John 3:36
"He who believes in the Son has eternal life;

John 5:24
"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

John 6:47
"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life.

John 6:54
54 "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.

John 10:27-30
"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; 28 and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. 29 "My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. 30 "I and the Father are one."

Matthew 25:46
"These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

1 John 3:14
We know that we have passed out of death into life,

1 John 5:13
These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.

Are Jesus promises about Eternal Life, NEVER PERISH and no condemnation true or false ?

hope this helps,

Reactions: Randy Kluth

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are Jesus promises about Eternal Life, NEVER PERISH and no condemnation true or false ?

Jesus’ promises about eternal life, NEVER PERISH and no condemnation are true (of course).

But this applies to those who follow him, obey him, and cease from sin upon enlightenment in his word.

For the scripture says, Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

Reactions: Ziggy

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are clearly those who think that they have everlasting life but do not, in reality, have everlasting life.

The people in 2 Peter 2:20-22, clearly, escaped the pollutions of this world and for all practical purposes appeared to be saved; but when it came down to it they returned to their vomit and their wallowing in the mire.

They were clearly not sheep; but were dogs or swine.

Nevertheless they appeared to be saved to those around them; and they probably thought themselves that they were saved.

Think about the implications of this; and consider Romans 11:20-22.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are clearly those who think that they have everlasting life but do not, in reality, have everlasting life.

The people in 2 Peter 2:20-22, clearly, escaped the pollutions of this world and for all practical purposes appeared to be saved; but when it came down to it they returned to their vomit and their wallowing in the mire.

They were clearly not sheep; but were dogs or swine.

Nevertheless they appeared to be saved to those around them; and they probably thought themselves that they were saved.

Think about the implications of this; and consider Romans 11:20-22.
None of those texts are about " Eternal Life " which is the topic of the OP.
I will only engage in those text about the doctrine and teaching in the N.T. about Eternal Life.

hope this helps !!!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eternal..
Alpha and Omega..
The circle of life.

God is Eternal.
Somewhere inside of each of us is a seed.
It's called Faith. (what a pretty name)
God put it there.
And if we don't kill it, it will grow.
He will water it and tend it and prune it until it reaches maturity where it can be grafted into his own tree.

When you have faith God plants his tree right beside your tree and the branches are grafted together.
I see that here:
Rev 3:20
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
again here:
Jhn 14:23
Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

And they two will become one flesh.. wow.. ok.

Now God is always eternal and when his spirit/tree combines with our spirit/tree, they are grafted together and guess what?
You have the eternal life that God has because the same sap/water/life flowing through him, now flows through you.

But it all begins with that little seed.
I think Jesus calls it a mustard seed..
Faith.. what a pretty name :)

just thinking...
HUGS

Reactions: ChristisGod

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of those texts are about " Eternal Life " which is the topic of the OP.
I will only engage in those text about the doctrine and teaching in the N.T. about Eternal Life.

hope this helps !!!
I wasn't expecting you to engage...you made it clear previously that you wouldn't.

I was just putting in my two cents.

It is fine with me if you don't respond to my statements.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have been saved, We are being saved, and We will be saved. We can never presume upon God and tell Him to let us in because of the errors looking at Scripture we must work out our Salvation with fear and trembling.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus’ promises about eternal life, NEVER PERISH and no condemnation are true (of course).

But this applies to those who follow him, obey him, and cease from sin upon enlightenment in his word.

For the scripture says, Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
All the Eternal Life passages in their context receive that life by faith and its a gift with no other conditions. Look them up and see.

hope this helps !!!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the Eternal Life passages in their context receive that life by faith and its a gift with no other conditions

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they FOLLOW me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. JOHN 10:27-28.

Eternal Life is given to them that FOLLOW Christ.

For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should FOLLOW in his steps: who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth... arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin. 1 PETER 2:21-22; 4:1-2.

FOLLOWING Christ involves partaking in his sufferings resulting in cessation of sins. We cannot claim the “never perish” scripture if we are not bearing the fruits of FOLLOWING Christ.

For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for sake. PHILIPPIANS 1:29.

But many today do this:

In vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. Making the word of God of none effect.
MARK 7:6, 13

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the Eternal Life passages in their context receive that life by faith and its a gift with no other conditions. Look them up and see.

hope this helps !!!
The condition for eternal life is that the word abide in you.

1 John 2:24-26
24Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.

25And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life.

26These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they FOLLOW me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. JOHN 10:27-28.

Eternal Life is given to them that FOLLOW Christ.

For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should FOLLOW in his steps: who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth... arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin. 1 PETER 2:21-22; 4:1-2.

FOLLOWING Christ involves partaking in his sufferings resulting in cessation of sins. We cannot claim the “never perish” scripture if we are not bearing the fruits of FOLLOWING Christ.

For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for sake. PHILIPPIANS 1:29.

But many today do this:

In vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. Making the word of God of none effect.
MARK 7:6, 13
Yes they hear His voice and they follow Him, Amen

And I would say that is because when one has Eternal Life they have the indwelling Spirit in them and can hear His voice and follow Him.

And as you quoted in Philippians 1:29 - it has been granted on behalf of Christ to BELIEVE. It is a gift just like Eternal Life is a gift.

hope this helps !!!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The condition for eternal life is that the word abide in you.

1 John 2:24-26
24Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.

25And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life.

26These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
What does it mean to abide in Him ?

Oct 30, 2020
Marksville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus by all means said those who come to him he will not cast out or away from him. Especially his very own. He said he would not reject anyone who came to him and let him in. Would you deny someone wanting to be your friend? Would you reject a stray animal in your yard? Would you reject a million dollars? Lol jk

Reactions: ChristisGod
Oct 30, 2020
Marksville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does it mean to abide in Him ?
It means to stay close to him. Read his words. Remember you can read that in the bible where he says "I am the bread of life, those who eat his flesh and drink his blood shall have light of life, the bread is the word , his blood is holy, to drink his blood means to have a taste of him and taste that he is good. We abide by staying in his word and being doers of it. He said those who love him will be love by him and the father. And he would fine with us. I always wondered what it was like to fellowship with Christ though. Lol his word will keep us up. Keep us grounded. And founded on him.