Career advice

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alpha and Omega

May 11, 2008
Well I am scheduled to start school in about 1 month to become a massage therapist. As you can see by the post time it is late at night. I am still awake because I cannot decide if I want to do this or not. Furthermore I have had a new found interest in the Bible. Just today I was researching Bible schools in my area and have found some many schools in my area. I do not necessarily want to become a missionary or a pastor I just want to get to know the word of God at a deeper level. I know I could do this on my own too but it just isn't that much fun.
smile.gif
Anyways if I did go to a bible college what opportunities could I have once I have a degree. cheers.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
This is a good question as I also grappled with the idea of going to such a college and I am now 49 years old. I am in the technical field, but over the many years that I learned about the Lord and His Word the idea of going into His field appealed to me as I vacillated between wanting to stay technical or not.The best thing to do is to pray about it and say to the Lord that unless He tells or shows you otherwise, you'll take the path you think He wants you to take.I know that I never was lead astray with that mindset.In the long run, I found out that a field such as ministry was NOT calling me (at least as of the present) as I saw I was only interested in the arcane parts of the bible---- in the ministry, you have to be prepared to handle a lot of illness, faithlessness, bickerings, someone's going out with another's spouse and so forth. As a matter of fact, if you are not strong, such mundane situations that people get themselves into can drag one down. For the most part, people are not really interested in the deeper things of God's Word. This would have frustrated me and I would have probably quit.Maybe this is not a definite answer for you, but I do want to point out that you consider your motives. If you do not like the messed-up people part like me, but you like the things of the bible, then maybe being a theological professor or something like that would be more in line. As for me doing that. I consider myself getting too old and poor to consider that any longer. Ten or 15 years ago maybe.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we should all start a club here, the three of us would have charter membership.I grappled with this decision about two years ago now. YHVH blessed me with a wide-ranging ability on the computer. I've done enough to know how to handle Windows to an above-average degree and I'd say I'm nearly an expert Linux user in dealing with servers. I can design websites and promote them quite well when I get my mind on it.I started college, naturally, as a Computer Engineering major. I quickly found out how much I hated Calculus. I don't care about limits and derivatives. All I want to do is work with computers. I've programmed and worked with software and I've never once had to call on Calculus to help me. To make along story short, I got out of there.I was very seriously thinking about the ministry. In fact, I was probably a phone call or email away from starting to prepare for the seminary. I did my best to think it over with my significant other of many years, my family, and some of my friends. Finally, after I did all I could, I put it in Father's hands. It was not meant to be.In the end, I know I can teach through Christianity Board. I submit to no authority but that of YHVH alone. For me, I felt that if I ever went to seminary, I would owe some sort of allegiance to this school of thought or denomination. That's certainly not to say that all or any are bad, but it's just not me.I guess the moral of this rambling story is you've gotta decide. Brother Tim is gifted in many ways and has a wisdom that I've come to appreciate. He has, graciously, even refused a spot on the staff here but still has so much to share. The point is, we each have our own roles to fill. No one reminds me of this more than my dad. He should be a preacher - perhaps I am a biased source but he has the charisma to talk to anyone. However, he's worked construction all of his life. That's his field and his trade. There are others just like him that will teach and reach more people on lunch at work than any pastor ever could. That is their role.Psalm 48:14
For this God is our God for ever and ever: he will be our guide even unto death.

Alpha and Omega

May 11, 2008
Tim I think that is a great idea (theological professor). I do not think I would be able to be a pastor (like Denver's father
biggrin.gif
). I am not really good at handling other peoples problems. On the other hand if I were to go to Bible college I could learn a lot and just see where it takes me. God will show me the way. I'll reply again with what I decide.

ps77

Nov 3, 2007
just go with what you're interested in, go where your interests lie.my girlfriend is taking a year off and doing an exchange for several months.. i'm going to university taking general studies (basically courses i'm interested in) and just following my interests and passions.somewhere along the way ideas, inspiration and interest will be sparked.

Alpha and Omega

May 11, 2008
OK so I decided what I want to do. I am going to 1 of 3 colleges in my area and getting my Bachelor of Theology (4 years). I am very excited and looking forward to learning more about God/Bible etc.