carpenter?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

gregg

Oct 16, 2009
arab
i personaly do not believe Jesus was a carpenter seeing he was called into the priest hood from birth.at 12 he was about his fathers work in the temple, not building chairs. matthew says he was a carpenters son, mark says carpenter. whats your outlook on this? :rolleyes:

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I don't believe Jesus was a true caprenter, but I do believe he knew the trade from His father, Joseph, and would answer to the designation, no doubt. In Mark, it was scoffers who referred to him as a caprpenter--with disdain.

However, people referred to Him as a Rabbi, a teacher of the scriptures.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But He didn't stay in the temple at twelve but subjected himself to his parents. It was extremely common for the son to learn his father's occupation.We could say he lived by the wood and died by the WOOD.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus never practiced the trade skill of carpentry. That is a mistranslated word of the scriptures.

The word used in Greek meant common construction laborer.

Jesus grew up in Nazareth...which was a Jewish suburb of a town known as Sapphoris (a greek city complete with theater and public baths and all kinds of Greek stuff)

Sapphoris was not built out of wood at all but actually stone as were all cities built out of stone. In Europe where the Bible was translated a Stone Mason was a high skill trade...of one of the highest of the skilled trades. So translating that would have gone completely misunderstood as Jesus would have had no status as a common stone worker in the ANE. And since he was a common construction worker...his entrance into the Priesthood (as John's baptism allowed) was rather astonishing.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
And since he was a common construction worker...his entrance into the Priesthood (as John's baptism allowed) was rather astonishing.

How did John's baptism of repentance allow Jesus to enter a priesthood? I know it was a sort of commissioning into His ministry by God, but I am not sure what you are referring to. Can you elaborate, JohnDB?

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How did John's baptism of repentance allow Jesus to enter a priesthood? I know it was a sort of commissioning into His ministry by God, but I am not sure what you are referring to. Can you elaborate, JohnDB?

In the normal practice of Judaism a Levite priest and/or family head was needed to go to God for you (along with a sin offering) to bring your sins to God. Also the common man was not allowed to handle scripture by quoting it to his neighbor or other Israelite except as officiated by a priest. (In Bethgashepher or Bethmidrash or at Synogogue.) Also before any Levite would put on his priestly robes and perform any function of God's he had to go through a ceremonial bath. (we call it a baptism today) but then it was a ceremonial washing in a Mikveh which were located near the entrances of the Temple. The rule was simple as far as these were concerned...the water had to be moving/living water (it had to flow) It could not be a cistern of stagnant water. River water was acceptable as it flowed. John's Baptism took place at the Jordan River...flowing/living water.

John's Baptism allowed both things to happen...they could directly quote scripture to another person without a priest officiating it and they could bring their own sins to God and ask for forgiveness. This is part and parcel with why today we hold to the Priesthood of every believer...we have been baptized and now through that ceremony claimed to be Priests in the order of Jesus...able to bring our own sins to God for forgiveness and to handle scriptures in order to tell our neighbor how good God really is.

Jesus was a common man as a construction laborer. He held no "head of family" status or rabbinical status before John's Baptism. That event was the start of his Earthly tours of ministry. He did nothing before then except be a normal son which meant that he went to work...experienced all the normal family stuff. He was required by Law to remain in his father's house and provide for his mother and siblings till he was Thirty years of age. Which was when he got Baptized by John and left his Earthly family.

Also...one other tidbit of info. Levitical priests could not enter the priesthood until age thirty...and they could only serve till age fifty. Any time before and after that was either spent as an apprentice or as a judge/adviser. Those twenty years are considered a man's prime age when he is wise enough and strong enough to do anything at his physical and mental best. (and is given to God in the Temple service)

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No offense, but who cares? Why does it matter?

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No offense, but who cares? Why does it matter?

Because...if the Bible is a collection of flat and difficult to understand stories...your faith is based on good feelings and whatever the preacher decides to tell you.

If the stories contained in the bible are rich...full of life...the characters in the stories alive...the bible tells some of the most fantastic stories that most of us can't even dream possible telling of a God who is more good that we can even begin to imagine.

And so...I have found by knowing who, what, when, where, how and why that they stories come alive...and are some of the most precious stories I hold to so dearly.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok - so you are just wanting more information about Jesus's profession. I see.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Believe that if you like...but that was nothing near what I said.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"And so...I have found by knowing who, what, when, where, how and why that they stories come alive...and are some of the most precious stories I hold to so dearly."

Sounds like wanting more information to me. Nothing wrong with it.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
Jesus never practiced the trade skill of carpentry. That is a mistranslated word of the scriptures.

The word used in Greek meant common construction laborer.

Jesus grew up in Nazareth...which was a Jewish suburb of a town known as Sapphoris (a greek city complete with theater and public baths and all kinds of Greek stuff)

Sapphoris was not built out of wood at all but actually stone as were all cities built out of stone. In Europe where the Bible was translated a Stone Mason was a high skill trade...of one of the highest of the skilled trades. So translating that would have gone completely misunderstood as Jesus would have had no status as a common stone worker in the ANE. And since he was a common construction worker...his entrance into the Priesthood (as John's baptism allowed) was rather astonishing.

I'd bet you a large sum that, he practiced some carpentry.