Caution with the Laodicean Ministry

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe in the seven churches as ages as given in the first few chapters of Revelation...

Ephesus - Apostolic - Could this be the Messianic church? Peter claimed to the the Apostle to the Jews.
Smyrna - Martyr - Paul was the Apostle to the Gentils. Early Orthodox formed in this time.
Pergamos - Orthodoxy formed in this time... Pergos is a tower... Needed in the dark ages
Thyatira - Catholicism formed in this time - The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate. Thankfully no longer in this church, however you would not have wanted to start your own church during this time!
Sardis - Protestantism formed in this time- A sardius is a gem - elegant yet hard and rigid
Philadelphia - Wesleyism formed in this time - To be sanctioned is to acquire it with love.
Laodicea - Charismatic movement formed in this time

"When a man dies they ought to have enough to bury him and a few pense for his friends." - John Wesley

It was basically unheard of before Dwight L Moody of evangelists getting rich of ministry. John Wesley basically gave his proceeds back to ministry and money was never an issue. With evangelist such as DL Moody and the Salvation Army we first start seeing issues with evangelist getting too much money. Even with the Salvation Army leader William Booth there was a cartoon entitled, "Now Mr Booth, let us know what you are going to do with all that money!" So I would imagine that the Laodicean church age began in the mid 1800's. There have been successful global ministries that would form during this time, but along with it the temptations of material gain.

My first exposure to the TV evangelist was with the evangelist Billy Graham. There was a great deal of conviction behind his message and I can imagine that millions have gotten saved through his ministry. It seemed though in the 1980's, especially after being granted with the honorary doctorate, that he disappeared into the black mountains of North Carolina where he has not been as effective since.

I get letters from Franklin Graham's Samaritans Purse to support their ministry. Though I am sure they do a lot of good I just have a hard time supporting this ministry knowing that Franklin Graham makes $880,000 a year (http://www.religionnews.com/2015/08...y-raises-eyebrows-among-christian-nonprofits/) off ministry.

Also in the 1980's it seemed that the ministry of Jimmy Swaggert took off. Going through these mountains in Virginia you could see actual Swaggert material on the organ and the piano. Our Pentecostal Holiness ministers use to warn people all the time against these ministries, I can imagine as checks were going to Swaggert instead of the church. It was a devastating thing when the ministry collapsed in the mid 80's.

I am a supporter of the Schambach ministries but was very much worried when he left Pennsylvania for Texas.

My dad has given tens of thousands of dollars to CBN, became a member of the Chairman's circle. He went to Virginia beach for a visit and they basically treated him like an outcast. For all his giving it was though they did not really care.

I supported the Joel Osteen ministries for years. I went to Houston to give the church a visit and did not feel a closeness to anyone. I wanted Joel to sign my leather Ipad cover and he quickly done it, gave me a smirk with no charisma, and then went to the next person to quickly shake his hand. The security person behind him gave me and my Ipad a troubled look and went his way.

I wrote the Joel Osteen ministries and told them I would like to upload a few videos and close caption the videos for the international audience. These videos went viral and the next thing you know I get hit with a copywrite infringement by the Joel Osteen ministries. I tried to explain to them that I did not make any money off these videos and that I have spent a lot of money to CC these videos. After ugly words with their legal team I gave up.

I kept getting phone calls from the Joel Osteen ministries this past holiday. I decided to answer and some lady wants me to listen to a recording. Here is Joel Osteen's voice telling me how much he loves me and has been praying for me. As I was a big giver I was bumped off to a male voice on the other end. I explained to him the legal troubles, the gentleman's voice turns cold. and he said that he would take my phone number off their list. I felt like ending the phone call by telling the gentleman that Joel Osteen does not love me!

I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations. - Luke 6:9

I think the global ministries of this age is a good thing, and when they are in the word can do a great deal of good. But I think the word needs to go out that they treat their ministry as a third party and can become an ATM machine to support their high tastes in living. And I must say that these people do not love you as an individual and you must remember that when cash becomes available they will succumb to the temptation of material gain.

I think folks are better off avoiding the TV evangelist and cleaving to the meek and humbler bunch on the lower levels. It was in a revival at a local church where I first sensed the Holy Spirit and gave my life to Christ. All with everyday humble type people.