Charismatic Bible Studies #1

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The following will be a series of Bible studies specifically written from the Charismatic perspective. Since the Holy Spirit Himself is the key to living the Pentecostal life, these first few studies will be on the Person of The Holy Spirit Himself as the 3rd Person of the Trinity.

Question for this study: How important is it to understand that the Holy Spirit is "God with us," and manifesting Himself in our personal lives?

I. The Holy Spirit is Divine; He is Deity —

• In the Great Commission quoted below, Jesus appears to be indicating an equivalence among the three divine Persons of the Holy Trinity — “in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”

Matthew 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

• Some other verses that show the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit working in concert with one another are: John 14:16-17; 1 Corinthians 12:2-4; 2 Corinthians 13:14; Ephesians 2:18; Ephesians 4:4-6; and 1 John 5:7.

Acts 5:3-4 Then Peter said, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit… You have not lied just to human beings but to God.”

• Above, the apostle Peter said that lying “to the Holy Spirit” was lying “to God.” Peter understood the Spirit of God to be clearly divine.

In 1st John, the apostle identified the Lord Jesus Christ as our Advocate before the Father:

My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate before the Father— Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. (John 2:1)

But in John's Gospel, he recorded Jesus as saying He would send another Advocate, placing Himself and the Holy Spirit on parallel with each other:

John 14:16-17a; 16:7 And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate to help you and be with you forever — the Spirit of truth… But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.

• The Holy Spirit was to fully and adequately take the place of Jesus on earth. Jesus was soon to ascend back to heaven, and in His place — and “for our good” — He was going to send the Holy Spirit to be with us forever. Deity (Jesus) was returning to heaven, and in turn Deity (the Holy Spirit) was coming from heaven back down to earth to be with us.

1 John 5:7. For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are One.

• This verse occurs as above in the KJV yet not in the majority of translations. In any case, however, the Oneness among the divine Persons of the Trinity is certainly substantiated by the undisputed John 10:30 — “I and the Father are one.

• So let it be established in your thinking about the Holy Spirit that He is Divine, a co-equal Person in the Holy Trinity with the Father and the Son.

The following was modified from the Pentecostal Sermons and Bible Studies of Pastor Jim Feeney, Ph.D.

@Mayflower, @Pearl, @amadeus, @Helen, @CharismaticLady, @Triumph1300, @Josho, @Paul Christensen.

NOTE TO RESPONDENTS: This is not a debate thread, other than regarding Charismatic issues. Thanks.

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Question for this study: How important is it to understand that the Holy Spirit is "God with us," and manifesting Himself in our personal lives?

I will go ahead and get the ball rolling here by answering the question first.

In my opinion it is VITALLY important that we understand He is God. If we know that God Himself is manifesting Himself in our lives, whether by revealing to us His word, or by operating through us in spiritual gifts, we KNOW He is with us and loves us. We KNOW that He is real, and that our Christianity is not just in our heads and not something we have to take solely "on faith."

Then, when hard times come to test our faith, we look back on the times God has made Himself REAL to us, and we are reminded again of why Jesus is indeed truly the Son of God, and our faith is not misplaced.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 14:11-13

King James Version

11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

For me, I knew Holy Spirit, but really didn't think too much about Holy Spirit manifesting Himself in my personal life. That He is the part of God that abides right here with me. I always thought on the attributes of "God the Father", and "God the Son", but just knew Holy Spirit as part of the Trinity. I never got to know Holy Spirit as an individual part of the God head very much until my adult years. And even in the last few years have I come to understand more and have grown in my relationship with this part of the Trinity. As a result it has deepened my spiritual walk and relationship with God as a whole.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 14:11-13

King James Version

11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

This too. LOL! :) I was excited about that part!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

For me, I knew Holy Spirit, but really didn't think too much about Holy Spirit manifesting Himself in my personal life. That He is the part of God that abides right here with me. I always thought on the attributes of "God the Father", and "God the Son", but just knew Holy Spirit as part of the Trinity. I never got to know Holy Spirit as an individual part of the God head very much until my adult years. And even in the last few years have I come to understand more and have grown in my relationship with this part of the Trinity. As a result it has deepened my spiritual walk and relationship with God as a whole.
It took me decades into Christianity to learn about the love and charity that the Holy Spirit expresses to me for others and the less fortunate. He teaches me to be kind and caring and loving and charitable to others.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wasn't expecting this thread to take off so fast, but let me write out where knowing the Holy Spirit is God has meant so much to me in my own life.

I have always loved the word of God. After I got saved I prayed Solomon's prayer, just asking God humbly for the wisdom and the ability to teach His people. I sincerely didn't care about money or building any "ministry" or anything. I just wanted the wisdom to teach His people accurately. And He rewarded that prayer by revealing things to me from scripture during study over and over again; things I noticed that few others could see sometimes, but that I nevertheless knew were true because He would confirm them to me.

Over time, however, I started to realize that having the Holy Spirit as my Teacher was more than for just what I was learning. It greatly strengthened my faith. Whenever I would go through hard times or fall into sin, I would remember just how real He made Himself to me in my study times, and how much He had to love me in showing me things not everyone could see. And it made all the difference in the world. I honestly started to wonder who I was that He should love me so much, but then it wasn't me. I just made myself available to Him, and sought Him in faith to understand His word until I received things.

I think the same things apply to operating in the Gifts. When you experience being used by God, you get so encouraged. You know He is Real and that He has chosen to use you to help someone. Some used to say I was arrogant when I said I mentioned doing such things, but how can you not be excited when you know the True and Living God has used you to be a blessing to others?

It's supposed to be something you should rejoice over, so when I see it happen for others, I make a point not to give them a hard time about "getting a swelled head" or anything. It's a great comfort to believers when the Lord uses them in spiritual gifts, and I personally think it was meant to be.

Last edited:

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I remember when the Father revealed His love for me to me. I felt so special. Every time I opened my mouth, His love for me and how special He made me feel came out. At one point I became aware that as a result, someone else didn't feel so special. I was horrified. That was the last thing I wanted to do. I tried to explain that we are all special. I don't know if it helped. I tried to be more careful after that about what I said.
It is His Kingdom that we are building. Father, thank You for allowing us to be a part of what You are doing! Thank You for Jesus. Thank You for Holy Spirit. Thank You for spiritual gifts. Oh, how I need You, Lord!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember when the Father revealed His love for me to me. I felt so special. Every time I opened my mouth, His love for me and how special He made me feel came out. At one point I became aware that as a result, someone else didn't feel so special. I was horrified. That was the last thing I wanted to do. I tried to explain that we are all special. I don't know if it helped. I tried to be more careful after that about what I said.
It is His Kingdom that we are building. Father, thank You for allowing us to be a part of what You are doing! Thank You for Jesus. Thank You for Holy Spirit. Thank You for spiritual gifts. Oh, how I need You, Lord!

This reminds me of Joseph and the coat of many colors. It wasn't Joseph's fault he was blessed of God, and chosen above his brethren. He just was, and there wasn't much he could do about it. But they were jealous and hated him for it. They even tried to kill him over it. Just human nature I guess. But the beautiful part is they maybe found out WHY he was chosen by the time the story ended. Maybe he was chosen because of his humility, and because when the day came that he could have ground them to a fine powder he instead chose to show them mercy, he instead embraced them again as their brother.

As they say, "That'll preach," LoL.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The following will be a series of Bible studies specifically written from the Charismatic perspective. Since the Holy Spirit Himself is the key to living the Pentecostal life, these first few studies will be on the Person of The Holy Spirit Himself as the 3rd Person of the Trinity.

• In the Great Commission quoted below, Jesus appears to be indicating an equivalence among the three divine Persons of the Holy Trinity — “in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”

Matthew 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

• Some other verses that show the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit working in concert with one another are: John 14:16-17; 1 Corinthians 12:2-4; 2 Corinthians 13:14; Ephesians 2:18; Ephesians 4:4-6; and 1 John 5:7.

Acts 5:3-4 Then Peter said, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit… You have not lied just to human beings but to God.”

• Above, the apostle Peter said that lying “to the Holy Spirit” was lying “to God.” Peter understood the Spirit of God to be clearly divine.

In 1st John, the apostle identified the Lord Jesus Christ as our Advocate before the Father:

My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate before the Father— Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. (John 2:1)

But in John's Gospel, he recorded Jesus as saying He would send another Advocate, placing Himself and the Holy Spirit on parallel with each other:

John 14:16-17a; 16:7 And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate to help you and be with you forever — the Spirit of truth… But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.

• The Holy Spirit was to fully and adequately take the place of Jesus on earth. Jesus was soon to ascend back to heaven, and in His place — and “for our good” — He was going to send the Holy Spirit to be with us forever. Deity (Jesus) was returning to heaven, and in turn Deity (the Holy Spirit) was coming from heaven back down to earth to be with us.

1 John 5:7. For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are One.

• This verse occurs as above in the KJV yet not in the majority of translations. In any case, however, the Oneness among the divine Persons of the Trinity is certainly substantiated by the undisputed John 10:30 — “I and the Father are one.

• So let it be established in your thinking about the Holy Spirit that He is Divine, a co-equal Person in the Holy Trinity with the Father and the Son.

The following was modified from the Pentecostal Sermons and Bible Studies of Pastor Jim Feeney, Ph.D.

@Mayflower, @Pearl, @amadeus, @Helen, @CharismaticLady, @Triumph1300, @Josho, @Paul Christensen.

I think the Holy Spirit also blesses us with life and can heal and resurrect:

Deuteronomy 32:39

King James Version

39 See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.

Genesis 6:3

King James Version

3 And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

Revelation 11:11
“And after three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them.”

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What is the name of the holy spirit sir? I know the name of God is Jehovah, and the name of His son is Jesus, but have yet to learn the name of the holy spirit. Hope you can help

Gary Urban

Apr 20, 2021
Milwaukee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the name of the holy spirit sir? I know the name of God is Jehovah, and the name of His son is Jesus, but have yet to learn the name of the holy spirit. Hope you can help

God who has no form unlike mankind He does not have a name to distinguish him from another form .

All of the names speak of immutible atributes . Like Jeusvah the powerfull one who has become our savaor . It is power performed by the unseen Holy Spirt as God with us (Emanuael) many names one God .

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

NOTE TO RESPONDENTS: This is not a debate thread, other than regarding Charismatic issues. Thanks.
Wow! Just yesterday I got involved in another thread about the Trinity and such and here you hit me with it again. I'll not bite too deeply here but will look at the charismatic ideas with you as they arise hopefully without so much on the nature of God as an entity.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will go ahead and get the ball rolling here by answering the question first.

In my opinion it is VITALLY important that we understand He is God. If we know that God Himself is manifesting Himself in our lives, whether by revealing to us His word, or by operating through us in spiritual gifts, we KNOW He is with us and loves us. We KNOW that He is real, and that our Christianity is not just in our heads and not something we have to take solely "on faith."

Then, when hard times come to test our faith, we look back on the times God has made Himself REAL to us, and we are reminded again of why Jesus is indeed truly the Son of God, and our faith is not misplaced.
That the Holy Spirit is God I do not doubt. Just to be clear and simple for me there is only One God and that One God is Spirit and that One God is Holy: Therefore, The Holy Spirit!

Reactions: Truman

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Of course I spent my childhood years right up to high school graduation as a Catholic with the Trinity for them being a given. I never questioned it, but I never questioned whatever the priests and nuns taught. I never owned or read a Bible during those years.