Cheap Grace !

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 10:24-39

The Meaning of Discipleship

24 “A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a slave above his master. 25 It is enough for the disciple that he become like his teacher, and the slave like his master. If they have called the head of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign the members of his household!

26 “Therefore do not fear them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known. 27 What I tell you in the darkness, speak in the light; and what you hear whispered in your ear, proclaim upon the housetops. 28 Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. 30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.

32 “Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. 33 But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.

34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36 and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household.

37 “He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.

The term “cheap grace” can be traced back to a book written by German theologian, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, called The Cost of Discipleship, published in 1937. In that book, Bonhoeffer defined “cheap grace” as “the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline. Communion without confession. Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ.” Notice what is emphasized in Bonhoeffer’s definition of cheap grace and what is de-emphasized. The emphasis is on the benefits of Christianity without the costs involved; hence, the adjective cheap to describe it.

Jesus, in His Great Commission to the 11 remaining disciples, commanded them to go into all the world and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them and teaching them to observe all that He had commanded them (Matthew 28:19-20). Evangelism and discipleship go hand in hand. A disciple is one who observes (keeps, obeys) all that Jesus has commanded. There is no two-stage process in Christianity—first, be saved; then become a disciple. This arbitrary distinction is foreign to the New Testament and therefore foreign to Christianity.

To play off the title of Bonhoeffer’s book, let’s look at what Jesus said to His disciples about discipleship in Luke 14:25-33. In that passage, Jesus says to the crowds that no one can be His disciple unless they first hate their family (v. 26). Furthermore, the one who cannot bear his own cross cannot be His disciple (v. 27). Two conditions are given by Jesus in order to be His disciple. The first is to be willing to renounce family in order to follow Jesus. The second is to be willing to die, both literally and metaphorically (“die to self”) in order to follow Jesus. Jesus then gives two examples of “counting the cost.” The first is an example of a man who desires to build a tower without first counting the cost of building the tower. After realizing he cannot complete it, he gives up in shame and embarrassment. The second is that of a king preparing to go to battle and making sure he can defend against the superior foe. The point Jesus is making is that discipleship has a cost.

Furthermore, discipleship requires repentance and obedience. At the beginning of Jesus’ ministry, the message He preached was a message of repentance (Matthew 4:17). The message of the apostles after Jesus’ resurrection and ascension was also one of repentance (Acts 2:38). Along with repentance comes obedience. Jesus told a crowd of listeners that salvation and obedience go hand in hand: “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?” (Luke 6:46). Jesus then goes on to differentiate the one who builds his house on the sand from the one who builds his house on the rock, that is, the man who not only hears the words of Jesus, but does them, too.

Cheap grace seeks to hide the cost of discipleship from people. It seeks to claim that as long as we make a profession of faith, we are saved. God’s grace covers all our sins. Again, that is a wonderful truth! The apostle Paul says as much when he writes, “Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord” (Romans 5:20-21). Yet, right after writing that, Paul follows it with this: “What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it?” (Romans 6:1-2). Salvation by grace alone through faith alone is so much more than simply mouthing the words “Jesus is Lord.” We are not saved by a profession of faith. We are not saved by praying the Sinner’s Prayer. We are not saved by signing a card or walking an aisle. We are saved by a living and active faith (James 2:14-26), a faith that manifests itself in repentance, obedience and love of God and our neighbor. Salvation is not a transaction; it’s a transformation. Paul says it best when he says we are “new creations” in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17). There is nothing “cheap” about grace! got?

That’s what the majority of churches teach that all one has to do is "accept Jesus" and you will experience the abundant life and everything will be great and God will bless you with the desires of your heart. And we wonder why the " church" in America has no influence in our culture. The fact is Jesus made it hard to follow Him and said it might very well cost you your life, family, friends etc..... He said to count the cost before attempting to follow Him and many turned away from Him. In fact, Jesus said if the hate Me they will hate you and you will suffer persecution on My behalf. God’s word promises believers that they will face various trials but God will be there will you so that you might stand up under those trials. This easy believism in our culture has no effect on it whatsoever but those who count the cost and Jesus is their Lord will endure under hardship and He will sustain you. Most want to go to a church that makes them feel good, build up their self-esteem with the prosperity gospel, heath and wealth, name it and claim it false teaching that are prevalent on TV and many churches not only in the US but abroad. It’s a sad case how those teachers are leading people away from the Living God with their heresies.

hope this helps !!!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GOOD GRIEF!!!
Such a well thought and profound reply detailing the OP's errors with scripture. Truly astounding, I'm left speechless with such biblical wisdom and understanding Charlie Brown.

I think snoopy is thirst maybe give him some water to drink..................

hope this helps !!!

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This easy believism in our culture has no effect on it whatsoever but those who count the cost and Jesus is their Lord will endure under hardship and He will sustain you. Most want to go to a church that makes them feel good, build up their self-esteem with the prosperity gospel, heath and wealth, name it and claim it false teaching that are prevalent on TV and many churches not only in the US but abroad. It’s a sad case how those teachers are leading people away from the Living God with their heresies.

I agree with this assessment of this CREW of deceivers... but they are NOT Christians at all.... they are heretics. As far as cheap grace... It is a term I have heard spread by those equally as dangerous as the Name it... Claim it charlatans... the LEGALISTS.

Snoopy is now watered and fed... Have a lovely day!!!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with this assessment of this CREW of deceivers... but they are NOT Christians at all.... they are heretics. As far as cheap grace... It is a term I have heard spread by those equally as dangerous as the Name it... Claim it charlatans... the LEGALISTS.

Snoopy is now watered and fed... Have a lovely day!!!
Got Scripture that refutes one single thing in the OP ?

You just agreed with the above which is the ENTIRE point of the thread- cheap grace. What this tells me is you do not understand its meaning. You should read Bonhoffers book on the cost of discipleship and learn what is means.

hope this helps !!!

Last edited:

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
LOL@ hope this helps... Like I said... Snoopy is watered and fed... Not interested in gloom and doom Christianity...
There's enough of that going on without yet another thread about those who ABUSE God's grace.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL@ hope this helps... Like I said... Snoopy is watered and fed... Not interested in gloom and doom Christianity...
There's enough of that going on without yet another thread about those who ABUSE God's grace.
continue with your cheap grace then by all means..................................

continue in sin that grace may abound........................

you are right about one thing as many false gospels and christs abound and know nothing about Gods grace.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
and so it continues.... thus GOOD GRIEF!!! You are now on IGNORE.... therefore I will not be able to read any more of your posts.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: justbyfaith

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and so it continues.... thus GOOD GRIEF!!! You are now on IGNORE.... therefore I will not be able to read any more of your posts.
Hope this helps.
The Cost of Discipleship
by
Dietrich Bonhoeffer
4.28 · Rating details · 35,719 ratings · 1,182 reviews
One of the most important theologians of the twentieth century illuminates the relationship between ourselves and the teachings of Jesus in this classic text on ethics, humanism, and civic duty.

What can the call to discipleship, the adherence to the word of Jesus, mean today to the businessman, the soldier, the laborer, or the aristocrat? What did Jesus mean to say to us? What is his will for us today? Drawing on the Sermon on the Mount, Dietrich Bonhoeffer answers these timeless questions by providing a seminal reading of the dichotomy between "cheap grace" and "costly grace." "Cheap grace," Bonhoeffer wrote, "is the grace we bestow on ourselves...grace without discipleship....Costly grace is the gospel which must be sought again and again, the girl which must be asked for, the door at which a man must know....It is costly because it costs a man his life, and it is grace because it gives a man the only true life."

The Cost of Discipleship is a compelling statement of the demands of sacrifice and ethical consistency from a man whose life and thought were exemplary articulations of a new type of leadership inspired by the Gospel, and imbued with the spirit of Christian humanism and a creative sense of civic duty

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hope this helps.
Thank you its my honor to be on your ignore list, praise the Lord !

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

24 “A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a slave above his master. 25 It is enough for the disciple that he become like his teacher, and the slave like his master. If they have called the head of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign the members of his household!

26 “Therefore do not fear them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known. 27 What I tell you in the darkness, speak in the light; and what you hear whispered in your ear, proclaim upon the housetops. 28 Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. 30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.

32 “Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. 33 But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.

34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36 and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household.

37 “He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.

The term “cheap grace” can be traced back to a book written by German theologian, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, called The Cost of Discipleship, published in 1937. In that book, Bonhoeffer defined “cheap grace” as “the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline. Communion without confession. Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ.” Notice what is emphasized in Bonhoeffer’s definition of cheap grace and what is de-emphasized. The emphasis is on the benefits of Christianity without the costs involved; hence, the adjective cheap to describe it.

Jesus, in His Great Commission to the 11 remaining disciples, commanded them to go into all the world and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them and teaching them to observe all that He had commanded them (Matthew 28:19-20). Evangelism and discipleship go hand in hand. A disciple is one who observes (keeps, obeys) all that Jesus has commanded. There is no two-stage process in Christianity—first, be saved; then become a disciple. This arbitrary distinction is foreign to the New Testament and therefore foreign to Christianity.

To play off the title of Bonhoeffer’s book, let’s look at what Jesus said to His disciples about discipleship in Luke 14:25-33. In that passage, Jesus says to the crowds that no one can be His disciple unless they first hate their family (v. 26). Furthermore, the one who cannot bear his own cross cannot be His disciple (v. 27). Two conditions are given by Jesus in order to be His disciple. The first is to be willing to renounce family in order to follow Jesus. The second is to be willing to die, both literally and metaphorically (“die to self”) in order to follow Jesus. Jesus then gives two examples of “counting the cost.” The first is an example of a man who desires to build a tower without first counting the cost of building the tower. After realizing he cannot complete it, he gives up in shame and embarrassment. The second is that of a king preparing to go to battle and making sure he can defend against the superior foe. The point Jesus is making is that discipleship has a cost.

Furthermore, discipleship requires repentance and obedience. At the beginning of Jesus’ ministry, the message He preached was a message of repentance (Matthew 4:17). The message of the apostles after Jesus’ resurrection and ascension was also one of repentance (Acts 2:38). Along with repentance comes obedience. Jesus told a crowd of listeners that salvation and obedience go hand in hand: “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?” (Luke 6:46). Jesus then goes on to differentiate the one who builds his house on the sand from the one who builds his house on the rock, that is, the man who not only hears the words of Jesus, but does them, too.

Cheap grace seeks to hide the cost of discipleship from people. It seeks to claim that as long as we make a profession of faith, we are saved. God’s grace covers all our sins. Again, that is a wonderful truth! The apostle Paul says as much when he writes, “Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord” (Romans 5:20-21). Yet, right after writing that, Paul follows it with this: “What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it?” (Romans 6:1-2). Salvation by grace alone through faith alone is so much more than simply mouthing the words “Jesus is Lord.” We are not saved by a profession of faith. We are not saved by praying the Sinner’s Prayer. We are not saved by signing a card or walking an aisle. We are saved by a living and active faith (James 2:14-26), a faith that manifests itself in repentance, obedience and love of God and our neighbor. Salvation is not a transaction; it’s a transformation. Paul says it best when he says we are “new creations” in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17). There is nothing “cheap” about grace! got?

That’s what the majority of churches teach that all one has to do is "accept Jesus" and you will experience the abundant life and everything will be great and God will bless you with the desires of your heart. And we wonder why the " church" in America has no influence in our culture. The fact is Jesus made it hard to follow Him and said it might very well cost you your life, family, friends etc..... He said to count the cost before attempting to follow Him and many turned away from Him. In fact, Jesus said if the hate Me they will hate you and you will suffer persecution on My behalf. God’s word promises believers that they will face various trials but God will be there will you so that you might stand up under those trials. This easy believism in our culture has no effect on it whatsoever but those who count the cost and Jesus is their Lord will endure under hardship and He will sustain you. Most want to go to a church that makes them feel good, build up their self-esteem with the prosperity gospel, heath and wealth, name it and claim it false teaching that are prevalent on TV and many churches not only in the US but abroad. It’s a sad case how those teachers are leading people away from the Living God with their heresies.

hope this helps !!!

if you think discipleship is at a cost, then you're in the wrong place already no matter what others do and say.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if you think discipleship is at a cost, then you're in the wrong place already no matter what others do and say.
Luke 14:25-34
Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: 26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. 27 And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

28 “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? 29 For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, 30 saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish.’

31 “Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Won’t he first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32 If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. 33 In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.

34 “Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again?

hope this helps !!!

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

hope this helps !!!

Hey brother, I like what you are saying. It is important to be righteous, for as Hebrews 12:14 says, "without holiness, no man shall see God."

There is no two-stage process in Christianity—first, be saved; then become a disciple. This arbitrary distinction is foreign to the New Testament and therefore foreign to Christianity.

I do believe that you are not perfect at the beginning of our walk with Christ, so this part I do not agree with. 2 Peter 1:5-7 shows what must happen after we get on the path to being saved. And true grace (not unmerited favor) empowers us to finish the course.

Also, I'm not sure how we become discipled in what you are saying. If will-power, that is wrong.)

(We had a bomb in Nashville that cut out of phone and internet for a few days. Glad to be back with you.)

Reactions: ChristisGod

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey brother, I like what you are saying. It is important to be righteous, for as Hebrews 12:14 says, "without holiness, no man shall see God."

I do believe that you are not perfect at the beginning of our walk with Christ, so this part I do not agree with. 2 Peter 1:5-7 shows what must happen after we get on the path to being saved. And true grace (not unmerited favor) empowers us to finish the course.

Also, I'm not sure how we become discipled in what you are saying. If will-power, that is wrong.)

(We had a bomb in Nashville that cut out of phone and internet for a few days. Glad to be back with you.)
my son who lives in Nashville is here with us and returning later this week. good to see you back !

Reactions: CharismaticLady

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 14:25-34
Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: 26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. 27 And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

28 “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? 29 For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, 30 saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish.’

31 “Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Won’t he first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32 If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. 33 In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.

34 “Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again?

hope this helps !!!

fyi English American standard is a spinoff of the KJV also the clue that its not reliable is its American. this is KJV:

Luk 14:25  And there went great multitudes with him: and he turned, and said unto them, 
Luk 14:26  If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. 
Luk 14:27  And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. 
Luk 14:28  For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it? 
Luk 14:29  Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him, 
Luk 14:30  Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish. 
Luk 14:31  Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand? 
Luk 14:32  Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace. 
Luk 14:33  So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple. 
Luk 14:34  Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be seasoned? 
Luk 14:35  It is neither fit for the land, nor yet for the dunghill; but men cast it out. He that hath ears to hear, let him hear. 

correction the word cost is there, but the meaning is different then you imply, because the truth is no one can pay for the Life Jesus gives. so saying it will cost someone is incorrect.

also note Jesus starts with verse 26 and anyone knows to lose what you hate isn't perceived as a cost. if you value something then its a cost but Jesus plainly speaks of this life in the flesh isn't valued, therefore it can't be a cost. Jesus is simply saying if you value this life you ain't going to make it, because to make it you must not value this life.

which one can conclude if you don't value this life then it not an expense.

Last edited:

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
fyi English American standard is a spinoff of the KJV also the clue that its not reliable is its American. this is KJV:

Luk 14:25  And there went great multitudes with him: and he turned, and said unto them, 
Luk 14:26  If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. 
Luk 14:27  And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. 
Luk 14:28  For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it? 
Luk 14:29  Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him, 
Luk 14:30  Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish. 
Luk 14:31  Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand? 
Luk 14:32  Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace. 
Luk 14:33  So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple. 
Luk 14:34  Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be seasoned? 
Luk 14:35  It is neither fit for the land, nor yet for the dunghill; but men cast it out. He that hath ears to hear, let him hear. 

the word cost isn't found here is it?

also note Jesus starts with verse 26 and anyone knows to lose what you hate isn't perceived as a cost. if you value something then its a cost but Jesus plainly speaks of this life in the flesh isn't valued, therefore it can't be a cost. Jesus is simply saying if you value this life you ain't going to make it, because to make it you must not value this life.

which one can conclude if you don't value this life then it not an expense.
Sure it is pick your poison !

Luke 14:28

New International Version
"Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won't you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it?

New Living Translation
“But don’t begin until you count the cost. For who would begin construction of a building without first calculating the cost to see if there is enough money to finish it?

English Standard Version
For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it?

Berean Study Bible
Which of you, wishing to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost to see if he has the resources to complete it?

Berean Literal Bible
For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first, having sat down, count the cost, whether he has enough for its completion?

New American Standard Bible
"For which one of you, when he wants to build a tower, does not first sit down and calculate the cost to see if he has enough to complete it?

New King James Version
For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it

King James Bible
For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?

International Standard Version
"Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. He will first sit down and estimate the cost to see whether he has enough money to finish it, won't he?

NET Bible
For which of you, wanting to build a tower, doesn't sit down first and compute the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it?

conclusion: I'll take Scripture over your unbiblical opinion

hope this helps !!!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure it is pick your poison !

Luke 14:28

New International Version
"Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won't you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it?

New Living Translation
“But don’t begin until you count the cost. For who would begin construction of a building without first calculating the cost to see if there is enough money to finish it?

English Standard Version
For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it?

Berean Study Bible
Which of you, wishing to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost to see if he has the resources to complete it?

Berean Literal Bible
For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first, having sat down, count the cost, whether he has enough for its completion?

New American Standard Bible
"For which one of you, when he wants to build a tower, does not first sit down and calculate the cost to see if he has enough to complete it?

New King James Version
For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it

King James Bible
For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?

International Standard Version
"Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. He will first sit down and estimate the cost to see whether he has enough money to finish it, won't he?

NET Bible
For which of you, wanting to build a tower, doesn't sit down first and compute the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it?

conclusion: I'll take Scripture over your unbiblical opinion

hope this helps !!!

correction the word cost is there, I didn't see it before, I made the correction in the posting, but the meaning is different then you imply, because the truth is no one can pay for the Life Jesus gives. so saying it will cost someone is an incorrect assumption in the Lord's example of the person wanting to build a tower. you have nothing to offer for your sins. and you have nothing to pay for the walk in Christ with Christ.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LEGALISTS

Where do you learn to talk like this?

Using a word like that showing contempt for those who establish the law in Christ (Romans 3:31).

This kind of speech does not provoke unto love and to good works:

Hebrews 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works

Is being under the law to Christ being a “legalist” to Christ? (1 Corinthians 9:21)