Choose Joy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sunday 1-1-23 1st. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Tevet 8, 5783 12th. Winter Day

Today's Devotional

Read: Philippians 1:12–21 | Bible in a Year: Genesis 1–3; Matthew 1

Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

Keith was feeling down as he trudged through the produce aisle. His hands trembled from the first signs of Parkinson’s disease. How long before his quality of life began to slide?

What would this mean for his wife and children?
Keith’s gloom was shattered by laughter. Over by the potatoes, a man pushed a giggling boy in a wheelchair. The man leaned over and whispered to his son, who couldn’t stop grinning. He was noticeably worse off than Keith, yet he and his dad were finding joy where they could.

Writing from prison or under house arrest as he awaited the outcome of his trial, the apostle Paul seemingly had no right to be joyful (Philippians 1:12–13).

The emperor was Nero, a wicked man who had a growing reputation for violence and cruelty, so Paul had reason to be concerned. He also knew there were preachers who were taking advantage of his absence to gain glory for themselves. They thought they could “stir up trouble” for the apostle while he was imprisoned (v. 17).

Yet Paul chose to rejoice (vv. 18–21), and he told the Philippians to follow his example: “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!” (4:4). Our situation might seem bleak, yet Jesus is with us now, and He’s guaranteed our glorious future. Christ, who walked out of His tomb, will return to raise His followers to live with Him. As we begin this new year, may we rejoice!

What personal suffering or injustice causes you to languish in your sorrow? How might the truth of Jesus bring you joy?
Father, please raise my eyes above my circumstances. I look to You alone for joy.
For further study, read Why? Seeing God in Our Pain.

INSIGHT

Paul’s letter to the church at Philippi is much loved because of its emphasis on joy. Considered by many to be the apostle’s most practical letter, it nevertheless contains one of the most theological segments in the New Testament. The declaration in Philippians 2:5–11, believed by some to have been a part of an ancient hymn, explores what Christ left behind to come to earth as a human being.

It also explores His ultimate mission—the cross—and the glory that will be His one day, when “every knee [will] bow” and “every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord” (vv. 10–11).

By Mike Wittmer|January 1st, 2023

Suffering And Hope Philippians One:12-21

12 But I would ye should understand, brethren, that the things which happened unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel;

13 So that my bonds in Christ are manifest in all the palace, and in all other places;

14 And many of the brethren in the Lord, waxing confident by my bonds, are much more bold to speak the word without fear.

15 Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:

16 The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:

17 But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel.

18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

19 For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer, and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ,

20 According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.

21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

Read full chapter

Love, Walter and Debbie

Reactions: Conley William

Plavious

Nov 29, 2022
Yde
Faith
Christian
Country
Cameroon
Sunday 1-1-23 1st. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Tevet 8, 5783 12th. Winter Day

Today's Devotional's Devotional

Read: Philippians 1:12–21 | Bible in a Year: Genesis 1–3; Matthew 1

Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

Keith was feeling down as he trudged through the produce aisle. His hands trembled from the first signs of Parkinson’s disease. How long before his quality of life began to slide?

What would this mean for his wife and children?
Keith’s gloom was shattered by laughter. Over by the potatoes, a man pushed a giggling boy in a wheelchair. The man leaned over and whispered to his son, who couldn’t stop grinning. He was noticeably worse off than Keith, yet he and his dad were finding joy where they could.

Writing from prison or under house arrest as he awaited the outcome of his trial, the apostle Paul seemingly had no right to be joyful (Philippians 1:12–13).

The emperor was Nero, a wicked man who had a growing reputation for violence and cruelty, so Paul had reason to be concerned. He also knew there were preachers who were taking advantage of his absence to gain glory for themselves. They thought they could “stir up trouble” for the apostle while he was imprisoned (v. 17).

Yet Paul chose to rejoice (vv. 18–21), and he told the Philippians to follow his example: “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!” (4:4). Our situation might seem bleak, yet Jesus is with us now, and He’s guaranteed our glorious future. Christ, who walked out of His tomb, will return to raise His followers to live with Him. As we begin this new year, may we rejoice!

What personal suffering or injustice causes you to languish in your sorrow? How might the truth of Jesus bring you joy?
Father, please raise my eyes above my circumstances. I look to You alone for joy.
For further study, read Why? Seeing God in Our Pain.

INSIGHT

Paul’s letter to the church at Philippi is much loved because of its emphasis on joy. Considered by many to be the apostle’s most practical letter, it nevertheless contains one of the most theological segments in the New Testament. The declaration in Philippians 2:5–11, believed by some to have been a part of an ancient hymn, explores what Christ left behind to come to earth as a human being.

It also explores His ultimate mission—the cross—and the glory that will be His one day, when “every knee [will] bow” and “every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord” (vv. 10–11).

By Mike Wittmer|January 1st, 2023

Suffering And Hope Philippians One:12-21

12 But I would ye should understand, brethren, that the things which happened unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel;

13 So that my bonds in Christ are manifest in all the palace, and in all other places;

14 And many of the brethren in the Lord, waxing confident by my bonds, are much more bold to speak the word without fear.

15 Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:

16 The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:

17 But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel.

18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

19 For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer, and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ,

20 According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.

21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

Read full chapter

Love, Walter and Debbie
Lord help me to have a smile

Reactions: WalterandDebbie