Christ FULFILLED the Law of Moses

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Think not that I am come to destroy [καταλῦσαι (katalysai) = to destroy or overthrow, annul, abrogate, subvert, or discard] the Law, or the Prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil [πληρῶσαι (plērōsai) = to make full, to complete, or make complete in every particular, to consummate] (Matthew 5:17)

What did the Lord Jesus Christ mean when He said that He had come to fulfil the Law?

The Law He was referring to was the Torah, also called by Him the Law of Moses. So we need to see what there was within the Torah which was fulfilled by Christ, and why the Law of Moses is now NULL AND VOID.

1. Christ fulfilled all the prophecies concerning Himself which were given in the first five books of the Bible.

2. Christ fulfilled all the types and shadows about Himself which were in the Torah.

3. Christ fulfilled the just demands of a holy God that a Man should obey the Law perfectly and live thereby.

4. Christ brought out the inner and spiritual meaning of the Ten Commandments which are necessary for the New Covenant.

5. Christ fulfilled all the sacrifices of the Law within Himself as the Lamb of God. He became the Whole Burnt Offering, the Meal Offering (called the Meat Offering in the KJV), the Peace Offering, the Sin Offering, the Trespass Offering, and all the sacrifices of the Day of Atonement. He also became the Passover Lamb.

6. Christ took the curse of the Law upon Himself by hanging on that cross, thus cancelled out the curse on sinners.

7. Christ brought the entire system of worship contained within the Law to an end. The Levitical priesthood, the temple, the temple sacrifices, the feasts, festivals, and holy days connected with this worship, and all the ceremonial observances which were enjoined on Israel came to an end when the veil in the temple was supernaturally torn from top to bottom on the day He died.

8. Christ ushered in the New Covenant with His death, and ratified it with His shed blood. He also fulfilled the Feast of Passover on that day, the 14th of Nisan in the year AD 30.

9. Christ fulfilled the Feast of First Fruits on the day of His resurrection (the first day of the week, or the morrow after the Sabbath).

10. Christ brought the need for physical circumcision to an end through the necessity of the New Birth, which requires the circumcision of the heart through repentance.

11. Christ brought the promise of the outpouring of the Holy Spirit to fulfillment on the day of Pentecost, and thus fulfilled that feast.

12. Christ entered into the heavenly Sanctuary with His own blood, and sprinkled it on the heavenly Mercy Seat. At the same time He became our Great High Priest and Advocate in Heaven, thus opening the way for each one to come directly to the Throne of Grace.

13. Christ distilled all 613 commandments of the Torah into the Law of Christ, which is the Law of Love or the Law of Liberty, thus called the Royal Law. Now Love is the fulfilled of the Law for those who have been saved by grace and washed in the blood of the Lamb.

14. The Law of Moses contained the Old Covenant. But the Law of Christ contains the New Covenant, which is infinitely better according to the epistle to the Hebrews. Thus anyone who now reverts to Torah observance is in direct disobedience and rebellion.

Reactions: Nancy

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Think not that I am come to destroy [καταλῦσαι (katalysai) = to destroy or overthrow, annul, abrogate, subvert, or discard] the Law, or the Prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil [πληρῶσαι (plērōsai) = to make full, to complete, or make complete in every particular, to consummate] (Matthew 5:17)

What did the Lord Jesus Christ mean when He said that He had come to fulfil the Law?

The Law He was referring to was the Torah, also called by Him the Law of Moses. So we need to see what there was within the Torah which was fulfilled by Christ, and why the Law of Moses is now NULL AND VOID.

1. Christ fulfilled all the prophecies concerning Himself which were given in the first five books of the Bible.

2. Christ fulfilled all the types and shadows about Himself which were in the Torah.

3. Christ fulfilled the just demands of a holy God that a Man should obey the Law perfectly and live thereby.

4. Christ brought out the inner and spiritual meaning of the Ten Commandments which are necessary for the New Covenant.

5. Christ fulfilled all the sacrifices of the Law within Himself as the Lamb of God. He became the Whole Burnt Offering, the Meal Offering (called the Meat Offering in the KJV), the Peace Offering, the Sin Offering, the Trespass Offering, and all the sacrifices of the Day of Atonement. He also became the Passover Lamb.

6. Christ took the curse of the Law upon Himself by hanging on that cross, thus cancelled out the curse on sinners.

7. Christ brought the entire system of worship contained within the Law to an end. The Levitical priesthood, the temple, the temple sacrifices, the feasts, festivals, and holy days connected with this worship, and all the ceremonial observances which were enjoined on Israel came to an end when the veil in the temple was supernaturally torn from top to bottom on the day He died.

8. Christ ushered in the New Covenant with His death, and ratified it with His shed blood. He also fulfilled the Feast of Passover on that day, the 14th of Nisan in the year AD 30.

9. Christ fulfilled the Feast of First Fruits on the day of His resurrection (the first day of the week, or the morrow after the Sabbath).

10. Christ brought the need for physical circumcision to an end through the necessity of the New Birth, which requires the circumcision of the heart through repentance.

11. Christ brought the promise of the outpouring of the Holy Spirit to fulfillment on the day of Pentecost, and thus fulfilled that feast.

12. Christ entered into the heavenly Sanctuary with His own blood, and sprinkled it on the heavenly Mercy Seat. At the same time He became our Great High Priest and Advocate in Heaven, thus opening the way for each one to come directly to the Throne of Grace.

13. Christ distilled all 613 commandments of the Torah into the Law of Christ, which is the Law of Love or the Law of Liberty, thus called the Royal Law. Now Love is the fulfilled of the Law for those who have been saved by grace and washed in the blood of the Lamb.

14. The Law of Moses contained the Old Covenant. But the Law of Christ contains the New Covenant, which is infinitely better according to the epistle to the Hebrews. Thus anyone who now reverts to Torah observance is in direct disobedience and rebellion.

But what your post is missing is the reason for the law in the first place, and THAT is what Jesus solved so we no longer need the law on stone. What replaced the Law?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As those who have been redeemed by the blood of the Lamb, we are not under the law (Romans 6:14) are dead to the law (Romans 7:4, Galatians 2:19) and are delivered from the law (Romans 7:4). (see also Ephesians 2:15-16, Colossians 2:14, and Hebrews 7:18-19). So the law no longer condemns the believer in Christ (John 5:24, Romans 8:1); because we are forgiven of past, present, and future sin(s)...Romans 4:8, Romans 8:38-39, Hebrews 9:12.

However, as those who have been filled with the Holy Ghost, the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given to us (Romans 5:5). And this love, being not in word or in tongue only, but in deed and in truth (1 John 3:17-18), is the fulfilling of the law within us (Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 8:4).

The spirit of the law is therefore written on our hearts and in our minds (Hebrews 8:8-10, Hebrews 10:16) as those who are under the New Covenant.

Verses in particular that I want to quote out:

Heb 8:8, For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Heb 8:9, Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
Heb 8:10, For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Rom 5:5, And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

1Jo 5:3, For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

2Jo 1:6, And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Rom 13:8, Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
Rom 13:9, For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Rom 13:10, Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Therefore, the fulfilling of the law will be a practical working out of obedience to the Lord's commandments, even as it is written in the following:

Mat 5:17, Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18, For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19, Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:20, For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Mat 7:24, Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
Mat 7:25, And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
Mat 7:26, And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
Mat 7:27, And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

This in no way precludes that we are justified through the keeping of the law.

We obey the Lord because we love Him; not in order to be justified.

We love Him because He first loved us (1 John 4:19) and because we have been forgiven much (Luke 7:36-50).

Last edited:

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Had Christ not fulfilled the Law, we would still be under the Law.
Depends on wheter you where an Israelite or a gentile.

Rom 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
Rom 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

but some would love to hang that around our necks and slay us.

Reactions: Waiting on him

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The law applies to the unbeliever (in the sense of Galatians 3:10, James 2:10-12, Matthew 5:48) whether he is a Jew or a Gentile.

Gal 3:23, But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods

You make an important point. By fulfilling the OT law Christ took it out of the way, brought it to an end Ephesians 2:15-16. By taking the OT law out of the way it frees man to be 'married' to Christ's NT gospel.

In Romans 7:1-5 Paul points out it is sinful, type of adultery, for a Christian that is 'married' to the NT to also go back and keep the OT law also for that is like an adulteress woman keeping two husbands at the same time.

But if the woman's first husband is dead she then is free to marry another man without being an adulteress. Since the first law has been taken out of the way by Christ then man is free to keep the NT law without committing spiritual adultery against Christ.

Far too often I see people go back to the OT law to try and justify some practice, some act of worship, etc and by doing so are trying to keep two laws at the same time. Justification for the practice, act of worship must be found within the NT or one is going against the NT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

The wind

Oct 17, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Christ fulfilled the law of Moses by dying for his brethren. As it is written, all the law is fulfilled in one word: you shall love your neighbour as yourself. And greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
why are you a jew? the law by the hand of Moses was given to and agreed to by the Children of Israel not the gentiles. a previous poster is correct your postings show you don't know or understand the reason for the law.