Christian Denominations

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anybody know why there's so many? Why was Jesus called a Jew? Is that because He lived in Judah since Jewish people don't even believe that He was the Son of God?

Reactions: dev553344

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He was born Jewish. I don't think anyone denies that. They deny he was their messiah, but some Jews are Christian too.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Anybody know why there's so many? Why was Jesus called a Jew? Is that because He lived in Judah since Jewish people don't even believe that He was the Son of God?
Since when did April Rose become a bearded man?:rolleyes:

The reason for denominations is because the Bible is interpreted differently by different groups. Which has nothing to do with Jesus living in Judah.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anybody know why there's so many?
Because people have different interpretations of the Bible and God's ways. These different groups don't always get along.
Why was Jesus called a Jew? Is that because He lived in Judah since Jewish people don't even believe that He was the Son of God?
The Jews were a distinct genetic / cultural / religious group at the time. Jesus was born to this genetic / cultural / religious group.

The bulk of that group did not accept the fact the Jesus was the Messiah, the Son of God.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does that make sense though?
What? That the Jews rejected him by and large or that some do accept him as Messiah?

[L For] I am not ashamed of the ·Good News [Gospel], because it is the power God uses to save everyone who believes—to save the Jews first, and then to save ·Gentiles [L the Greeks; C here meaning anyone who is not Jewish; Romans1:16

John1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

The Jews at the time of Christ, by and large, were in a hardened state and they missed the greatest news the world had ever known, because they expected him to come and free them from the Romans, and set up an earthly kingdom. They misunderstood their own prophets, apparently.

Reactions: Pathfinder7

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There are many churches because there are so many different types of people with divers types of beliefs. What works for one person doesn't for another.

I did a thought experiment and realized, any thought I had in school while learning, is probably not experienced by someone else, as each brain is like a fingerprint and very unique to the individual. We share a language, but our thoughts are our own and perhaps we all think differently, but fit into a few categories of thought types. So again, what works for one person may not work for another since our brains are all different, but similar. And groups of types of brains and thoughts might exist where groups of church types exist. Thus the many denominations and churches.

Cheers, Devin!

Irwin Fletcher

Sep 19, 2020
Cyprus
seeinggodclearly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Cyprus
I grew up in a very specific denomination that is quite well known. Later, I went overseas to do Christian work with that denomination. The country I was living in had very few Christians and almost no denominations. They usually identified as Protestant to distinguish themselves from Catholics and Orthodox Christians. Over time, as there were more churches and more believers, sub-groups began to develop. They were no longer generic protestants but began to identify with specific protestant groups or local church alliances more than with the whole. This was interesting to watch. Churches chose to cooperate together for common purpose (one of the reasons denominations exist), but as the theological distinctions became apparent, they found it difficult to all be under the same label. Still, there was generally cooperative efforts in things like prayer and evangelism and human needs ministry, but when it came to church planting, theological training and discipleship, people found it important to "tighten the circle" to those who they had more in common with.

Of course, this was in a pioneer area. When we look at "older" fields, we seem denominations that exist for many different reasons, many of which are more man-driven than God driven. It is important to remember that God did not establish denominations, God established the Church and the local church should be the primary group of our concern. That being said, I am in favor of denominations and believe they can serve God's purposes.

Reactions: Sabertooth

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am not sure how Dr. Luke (a Greek) fits with that...
Luke was probably a Hellenistic Jew who may have been saved on the day of Pentecost. These Jews lived outside Palestine and Greek was their primary language of communication. They are called "Greeks" in the Bible but technically they were "Hellenists", or Greek-speaking Jews.