Christian or not?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Am I a Christian or not??

Now to be sure, I consider myself a Christian, and I also think there are many who consider themselves to be Christians who are not - and I can tell you why. Still, there is an aspect of Christianity, called faith, that I believe we all run up against. Faith is not knowing, it is believing! So my considering myself a Christian is a belief and I on knowing whether I am or not. My belief, as discussed in the Bible, is a belief in Jesus Christ. However, that also involves an understanding who He is. Someone else can have a different understanding of who He is and have faith in Him based on that understanding - which is different that my understanding!!

Now I want to get down to the real point of this thread. There is one thing and apparently only one thing that is not allowed to be discussed, even in this "Ethics & Morality" section of the forum. So to make it clear, this is not a discussion on that thing, which is the trinity, but rather this is a post on the
"Ethics & Morality" of not allowing a discussion of the trinity on a Christian forum!!

Now I went to discuss this on the "Non-Christian "section of this Christian forum, because in the rules section it was written" that was the only place where this could be discussed. Which of course is ironic and really morally disgusting, because with that written it clearly implies that only "Non-Christians" would believe in the trinity!!! That is to say this forum has made a determination of who is a Christian and who is not.

Now, as I purposely explain in the beginning of this post, I too have my ideas about who is a real Christian and who is not. So, I understand how those running the forum have their personal opinions. as do I, but if they are running an a forum based at least partially on "Ethics & Morality" they sure are not trying to play God as opposed to follow God, are they? That would be ethically and morally wrong, to place themselves in the judgement seat of God!!

So again, I want to point out that I have my opinion on who is a real Christian and who is not, but even I understand that it is not mine to judge that!! Everyone is and is going to be judged my God!! And my belief in Him has confirmed that opinion. That is to say, rarely does the Lord actually tell me that a particular person is saved or is going to hell. Now I said, 'rarely', but not always. He does sometimes tell me, but unless He tells me.

So let me quickly go over my faith in Him. There is One who came into my life, and He talks to me. The first words I heard from Him were, "Read Your Bible". Since then, I have come to know Him personally. We talk!! We talk about everything in my life and everyday we talk!!! Is that Him (Jesus Christ). To my belief is it Him, however that is to my belief (faith). I have over twenty years of walking and talking with Him which have added to my belief, and it all seems to match what I read in the Bible!!! I assume we can actually discuss what is in the Bible??? Maybe not, because the Bible talks about the oneness of God - which it seems is what the trinity is about. But to be clear this is not about the "trinity", this is about the lack of ethics and morality in not allowing a "gentlemanly conversation" about God be One - which is in the Bible - and our beliefs in God!!

Even in our constitution, we have what is called "freedom of speech". You know it is amazing how our 'founding fathers' of this nation were Christians. They didn't go to the same church, but whenever they wrote to each other they referred to "God" more that any of us do so today!! I once went to a museum which had a large display of original writings they were writing to each other, and I don't think a page went by without "God" being referred to!! In fact, He was usually brought up a number of times on every page. And that made "freedom of speech" a fundamental principle for this nation!!

So how sad is it to find that moral and ethical behavior is not being upheld on a Christian forum today???

I can see how today this issue of freedom of speech a huge problem in this country is - and so perhaps it is not surprising that we have the same issue here on a Christian forum!!

If I quote:

Jn 17:21 that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me.

Is it ok to point out that verse about what it takes to be "one"???

It seems to me to be a pretty important verse, even a verse that discusses what it actually means to be a Christian!!!

How about:

Mark 12:29 Jesus answered, “The foremost is, ‘HEAR, O ISRAEL! THE LORD OUR GOD IS ONE LORD;

Again, it seems "foremost" would indicate the importance of actually hearing from the Lord and finding out that "the Lord our God is One Lord". and Jesus Christ is the Lord, right?

1 Cor 12:3Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus is accursed”; and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.

So can I even bring up the above verses for discussion?? It seems I am walking a very thin line between discussing the moral and ethical values concerning freedom of speech and actually discussing the forbidden "Trinity"! Perhaps I need to throw these verses and a number of others I could also have used here, to make sure I abide by the rules of this "Christian" forum.

Of course the leaders of this forum who made this rule, will also come into judgement by Him, unless of course perhaps they have also come to actually believe in Him? Which of course, would seem to mean they are becoming one with Him, if John 17:21 is to be thought correct. And that would mean that they are actually hearing from Him, if Mark 12:29 is thought to be correct. And so they would know that Jesus Christ is the Lord, even our Lord who talks to us, if 1 Cor 3 is thought to be correct.

Which takes me back to my belief. I believe that "One" whose first words to me were "READ YOUR BIBLE", and the 20 plus years since them is Jesus Christ talking to me via His Holy Spirit who brings me His words, which He was given by His Father. That is also explained in the Bible:

Jn 16:13 - 15“But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. “He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. “All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you

Do I need to throw all those verses? Or do we need to restrict our speech concerning the Scriptures?

If we do, then I think like the founders of this country, that we have a moral and ethical problem!

Reactions: amadeus

doctrox

Jun 11, 2019
global
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Claiming such would be a declension, a step down, from standing as a believer in or follower of Jesus Christ. I challenge brethren often about using the name of Jesus Christ in their witness, rather than the once-removed politically-correct label of "Christian." I have even seen people manifest at the mention of Jesus. Fact is, in the Holy Bible, you will never find a man of God calling another man of God, "Christian."

...My belief, as discussed in the Bible, is a belief in Jesus Christ.
Then that's what should come forth from your mouth when you witness, rather than the label of "Christian."

Now I want to get down to the real point of this thread..a discussion of the trinity on a Christian forum!!
Well, if you're familiar with the Holy Bible, then you'd know that the word "trinity" does not appear; rather, "Godhead" appears in three places. I would be building up the Godhead, rather than tearing down the trinity.

Even in our constitution...it is amazing how our 'founding fathers' of this nation were Christians.
Not even close; they were Freemasons.

Which takes me back to my belief. I believe that "One" whose first words to me were "READ YOUR BIBLE"...
You've inadvertently nailed the crux of the matter i.e. what saith the Holy Bible?

If we do, then I think like the founders of this country, that we have a moral and ethical problem!
They did indeed have a "problem," as they were Freemasons.

Back to focusing on the Holy Bible and not on something shiny...

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Claiming such would be a declension, a step down, from standing as a believer in or follower of Jesus Christ. I challenge brethren often about using the name of Jesus Christ in their witness, rather than the once-removed politically-correct label of "Christian." I have even seen people manifest at the mention of Jesus. Fact is, in the Holy Bible, you will never find a man of God calling another man of God, "Christian."

Then that's what should come forth from your mouth when you witness, rather than the label of "Christian."

Well, if you're familiar with the Holy Bible, then you'd know that the word "trinity" does not appear; rather, "Godhead" appears in three places. I would be building up the Godhead, rather than tearing down the trinity.

You've inadvertently nailed the crux of the matter i.e. what saith the Holy Bible?

yep , we better stay glued to that holy bible .
Ps , never take chocolate from a progressive . For though they shine it up and glitter it
dung is still dung no matter how shiny one tries to make it look on the outside . beware the new age progressive movement .
It is a lie . Stay DUG in the scriptures .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

They aint free either . them masons are in BONDAGE . me thinks you already know that my friend .
They are bondage masons . thinking they are free but know neither GOD nor HIS CHRIST who could have set them free .
Many love a lie my friend . Many have fallen in love with a god that they will honor above all . The god of self .
And that is how the dragon works through them . It always feeds the flesh .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yep , we better stay glued to that holy bible .
Ps , never take chocolate from a progressive . For though they shine it up and glitter it
dung is still dung no matter how shiny one tries to make it look on the outside . beware the new age progressive movement .
It is a lie . Stay DUG in the scriptures .
Is that true at all??

Let's take a look at the Scriptures!!

Jn 5:39, 40
You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.

Jesus had to deal who "Stay DUG in the scriptures" but they failed to understand that they need to actually come to Him so that they might have life!!!

The problem was that while they read and studied the Scriptures, even to the point that they thought that the Scriptures were going to give them eternal life, but they didn't actually believe what they read so they didn't actually listen to the Lord Jesus Christ!! So they didn't know Him even though He stood in the flesh in front of them!!

You are missing it bad, if you don't actually listen to Him (Hear, O Israel), but have put your faith in the Scriptures. That would not have happened if you actually listened to the Lord, and if you listened to the Lord Jesus Christ you would understand that He is the Lord and God is One.

Jn 5:46,47 “For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me. “But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”

Mark 12:29 Jesus answered, “The foremost is, ‘HEAR, O ISRAEL! THE LORD OUR GOD IS ONE LORD;

Gal 3:22 But the Scripture has shut up everyone under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.

So you really think the Scriptures are what you need to "Stay DUG" into. The Bible explains that you need to follow Jesus Christ and what He says to you!! And it explains that if you "HEAR, O, ISRAEL!" Then you will know that God is One Lord, and Jesus Christ is Lord!!

1 Cor 12:3Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus is accursed”; and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.

Oh, but I had better be careful with this "One Lord" idea. That sounds a lot like the Trinity concept, and we can't discuss that!

Oh - know Him as my Lord - He gives me instructions personally. That began when He told me to read my bible, but that was over 20 years ago and He has been giving me instructions to this day, and He does that everyday called "Today". So I don't stay "Dug" into the Scriptures, but I try to stay "into Him and His words to me. Did you not even read that His sheep hear His voice? Did you not even read that the Word of God we preach is found near us, even in our hearts and mouth - meaning that He is our Lord ( a person who personally gives us instructions??

Perhaps you read that the Scriptures are good for reproof, instructions, and teaching? That they are - they reprove the person thinking the Scriptures are what we are following! We are supposed to be following Jesus Christ by staying plugged into Him and what He says to us!! If you do listen to Him, as shown to you already with Scriptures, you would know the Jesus Christ is Lord and that the foremost command is "Hear, O Israel" - which makes you aware that our God is One Lord - just like it is written!! You find out that The Father has given all things, including the very words of God to Jesus Christ and made Him the Lord of Lords, and King of kings by giving Him His words. You would then understand that Jesus Christ only says what the Father tells Him, which is why Jesus Christ is called the Word of God. You would understand that the Holy Spirit, who does not speak on His own initiative, take the words of God from Jesus Christ and brings them to your spirit, much like a phone brings someone's words to our phone, so that if you hear from the Holy Spirit you hear the words of God with belong to Jesus Christ and which are from Him!

Jn 16: 13-15 “But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. “He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. “All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you.

Jn 6-63 “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.

Of course, all the above show you how God is One Lord, but we can't discuss the Trinity here, so let's not apply that word to it, even if God being One is in the Bible.

The point in this thread is not about that!! It is about how we want to prevent people from speaking freely! If Christianity is like that, even a Christian forum, then it is not surprising that this country is having this same issue of wanting to prevent free speech! That same evil spirit is going around in the country, even though it is against the constitution of this country.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch. (Acts 11:26b)

I learned from some commentary that the term Χριστιανός ("Christianos") used in this verse means "Little Christs", and was probably intended to be derogatory - and yet the disciples embraced it.

Why?

I would embrace it because it implies that people can see Jesus in you, and really, I can imagine no greater compliment. But if Jesus cannot yet be seen in me, the name serves to remind me of what we are called to be.

Last edited:

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I learned from some commentary that the term Χριστιανός ("Christianos") used in this verse means "Little Christs", and was probably intended to be derogatory - and yet the disciples embraced it.

Why?

I would embrace it because it implies that people can see Jesus in you, and really, I can imagine no greater compliment. But if Jesus cannot yet be seen in me, the name serves to remind me of what we are called to be.

Are we looking for Christ in others???

Or perhaps we are looking for Christ is us???

Rom 10:6 But the righteousness based on faith speaks as follows: “DO NOT SAY IN YOUR HEART, ‘WHO WILL ASCEND INTO HEAVEN?’ (that is, to bring Christ down),

Rom 10:7 or ‘WHO WILL DESCEND INTO THE ABYSS?’ (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).”

Rom 10:8 But what does it say? “THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching,

Jn 17:22,23 The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one; I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.

Jn 5:41 “I do not receive glory from men;

Jn 5:44 “How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and you do not seek the glory that is from the one and only God?

This concept of God being ONE, and Him wanting to include us in this oneness of God is an extremely important concept and understanding. Indeed, it seem to be foundational to Christianity, but it seems to be the one thing forbidden to discuss on this "Christian" forum! Are we really listening to Him like we should? Are we looking for Him near us, even in our hearts and mouth, or are we looking for Christ in others instead of inside ourselves??

I am not saying that we can't pick up Him coming through others, but that is not where we are finding the word of God that we are preaching!!!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Christian is a disciple of Christ, whom loves Him as their Savior.

That’s it.

It’s not about passing a theology test or action test- though those are super important. We learn and grow more in those areas as we travel our walk with Him.
I like your response but I would add a small snippet "A Christian is a disciple of Christ, whom loves Him as their Savior and strives to obey his commandments."

I say this because we know from Matthew 7:21-23 that many prophesed Christians will be rejected by Christ.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the appropriate question is "Am I a faithful Christian or not?"

Matthew 7:21-23 tells us that many Christians will be thrown into the Lake of Fire. They believed in Jesus but they weren't faithful to him. With that said, even faithful Christians cannot perfectly follow Christ but at least they try to do so.

There are MANY prophesed Christians who OBVIOUSLY utterly and COMPLETELY ignore Jesus's commandments. Their destiny is death for the remaining ages and then a visit to the Lake of Fire.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Do you have a time in your past history, a day, that you can acknowledge that you realized you were a sinner, separated from God by your sin, and you understood that Christ on the Cross was God's offering of eternal forgiveness for your lifetime of sin, and you trusted in Christ to be your Savior?

That is not water baptism.
That is not joining a "church"
That is not "enduring to the end to try to be saved".
That is not keeping law and commandments and trying to be like Christ.

That is you and God, and your sin, meeting Christ on THE CROSS..= when you gave God your FAITH in Christ.

Karl..and (READER) ...= Do you have that SALVATION moment in your life that you did that, and you know you did that, and you know the moment, the day, the year?

If so, there is your answer.

If not, there is your answer.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Christian is a disciple of Christ, whom loves Him as their Savior.

That’s it.

It’s not about passing a theology test or action test- though those are super important. We learn and grow more in those areas as we travel our walk with Him.

People often like to say things that sound really great when you hear them, but if you actually consider what is said they are really wrong. Politicians of course are a prime example of this. The above post is also an example of this - but perhaps like listening to the wrong politicians you may have missed it. The above post actually is contrary to itself!

So let me explain if you don't see it:

Theology is our understanding of God!!

Each of us has and understanding of God, yet none of our understanding's of God is completely God's understanding!!

However, if you actually come to know the Lord our God He is going to start teaching you so that your understanding becomes closer and closer to His understanding!!

That is called being a disciple of Christ!! So there is a "theology" test!! And that test is that you are indeed growing in the Lord!!

Indeed, how can anyone who is being taught by Him day by day not know the concept of being His disciple is the "theology test"??

Do you really believe you can be taught of God, or not?? What is your "theology"/understanding of God?? Do you believe He is truely there so you can talk to Him/ reason with Him or not???

And let me show where the "action test" is discussed in the Bible!

Mat 12: 48 - 50 But Jesus answered the one who was telling Him and said, “Who is My mother and who are My brothers?” And stretching out His hand toward His disciples, He said, “Behold My mother and My brothers! “For whoever does the will of My Father who is in heaven, he is My brother and sister and mother.”

If indeed a person loves the Lord, who said He would never leave us, then they are going to talk back and forth with the Lord (reason with Him) and they are going to have their theology (their understanding of God) become more like His theology (His understanding) and as a result they are going to realize that He is the KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS, which means you need to try and do what He tells you to do!!!

If your "theology" (understanding of God), does not mean you come to know Him as the One who teaches you and tells you things to do as The King and Lord over all, then you are not His disciple, and you don't love Him!! Thus you theology, a failure to actually believe in Him, caused you to fail the test of actually being a loving disciple of His!!

To put that correct theology into a specific verse, it reads like this:

Jn 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

That is a snippet of theology, which is an action test!! Do you believe in our omni-present Lord our God? If so you listen to Him as your Lord and Teacher!! If so you learn from Him - which of course happens over time! And there is a Christian forum right here, where we should be able to discuss the things we learned from Him with other disciples of His!! Things like how is the Lord our God One!!

That takes us back to the OP and subject of this thread!! For a Christian forum to say that we can not discuss how the Father, Son, and Spirit are One (the trinity) is wrong!! Of course understanding how the Lord our God is One, is not the test that has to be passed!! Believing in Him who is the Lord our God (Jesus Christ) is the test that has to be passed!! Yet passing that (theological test) means you do listen to Him, learn from Him, and do the things He asks you to do! And that should lean in time should lead you to understanding how the Lord our God is One!! (which many used the word 'trinity' when discussing it). We don't have to use that "forbidden word", but the subject of God being One God is in many places in the Bible!! And since it is in many places in the Bible; can we not see and understand that our Teacher is going to go over this subject with us personally?? If you don't see that He is going to go over the Bible personally with you, then you did not pass the test of actually believing in Him!!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find "Christians" all the time who say they believe in Jesus Christ but is becomes obvious that they don't or very rarely listen to Him!!

One of the ways that shows up is in the failure to understand how it is that we do hear from Him!!

Again, a new Christian might not need to know this, nor is this understanding critical to actually hearing from Him and being saver (note: faith comes from hearing and we are saved by faith in Jesus Christ) And a newer Christian would not be expected to hear from Him very well. By practices using our spiritual sense we become better at hearing Him and knowing good from evil. (Heb 5) Never-the-less, how can you being hearing from Him everyday called "Today" and not wind up finding out that the Lord is One God?? Didn't we even read the Bible?

The Bible even explains, through the words of Jesus Christ, that the foremost command is "Hear, O Israel", and that you then find out that "THE LORD OUR GOD IS ONE LORD" (which is what that forbidden word on this forum means) So was those making that rule of the forbidden actually listening to the Lord (keeping the foremost command?)

Clearly they were not! So they need to repent and start listening to Him, and quit pretending!!

Whether they care to believe or not, the Lord my God (whom I believe is Jesus Christ, because He matches up with the Bible, and for the many miracles I have seen Him do in and around my life) has asked me to cover this, because He really really really want His people listening to Him!!! They need to believe in Him, and He is there standing at the door speaking to us, just waiting for us to open up to Him and listen to Him. He will them come into them and they and Him will talk!!

They will at some point will realize that He (Jesus Christ) has be given the words of His Father. The words of God belong to Him!! And the Holy Spirit then takes those words from Him (Jesus Christ) and brings them to our spirit! So when and if you hear from God you hear from the Holy Spirit! Yet He did not speak His words, because the Spirit does not speak on His own, but got them from Jesus Christ whose name is called the Word of God because He owns the word of God! He owns them because His Father gave them to Him as a procession - and He (Jesus Christ) says and does only what His Father tells Him.

Therefore, when you hear from God you hear the words of the Father, which belong to the Son, and are gotten from the Son and given to your spirit by the Holy Spirit. So the LORD OUR GOD IS ONE LORD; and like that if figured out by listening to Jesus Christ via the Holy Spirit!! This is all written in the Bible, but if you don't believe the Bible (even though you say your do) then you are not going to listen to Jesus Christ!! You are not letting Him into your life by hearing what He who stands at the door is trying to tell you!!

Hear are some of the other verses that apply above:

Rev 3: 20 ‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come into him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

Jn 16: 13-15 “But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. “He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. “All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you.

1 Cor 12:3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus is accursed”; and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.

Rev19:13 He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.

Rev 13:16 And on His robe and on His thigh He has a name written, “KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.”

John 17:5 “Now, Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was. “I have manifested Your name to the men whom You gave Me out of the world; they were Yours and You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word. “Now they have come to know that everything You have given Me is from You; or the words which You gave Me I have given to them; and they received them and truly understood that I came forth from You, and they believed that You sent Me.

Jn 17:22 “The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one;

Eph 5:31,32 FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND SHALL BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE, AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH. This mystery is great; but I am speaking with reference to Christ and the church.

The Father, Son, Spirit, and even us being put together as ONE is especially important!! It is by that which we are saved, because that happens through His words. The words that came from the Father, were given to the Son, that come to us via the Holy Spirit, so that we can get the teaching and instructions we need to do what we need to do and act like one with God!! We are saved by faith, but faith comes form hearing a word from Christ!!

Romans 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

So what is that forbidden word about?? Is it not about how "THE LORD OUR GOD IS ONE LORD" - well then it is about keeping the foremost command "‘HEAR, O ISRAEL!"

So we shouldn't talk about that, right? Of maybe we can talk about it, but just don't use that forbidden word!!

doctrox

Jun 11, 2019
global
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct. But the oft missed point here is: It was unbelievers who derogatorily called the followers of Christ, "Christians."

How and when was the word "Christian" first used? The term 'Christian' was used to describe a follower of Christ in terms of the world, from the world’s point of view. The pagans at Antioch called the apostles "Christians" first (Acts 11:26; 26:28) and used it derogatorily because the apostles didn’t follow the commercial world of the pagans. "Christian" is an adjective, not a noun. The substance is not in the word "Christian", the substance is in the heart of the man it is attempting to describe, and which the pagan user cannot see.

Christ never called himself a Christian, Christ never called his followers Christians. The apostles never called each other Christians. Christ never used an adjective to describe himself. So how are we to identify ourselves then? The disciples called each other, "brethren", "disciples", "apostles", "servants", "believers", "followers", "the faithful", "the elect", "the called", and "saints." We can also identify ourselves as "bondservants" of Christ.

I learned from some commentary...
For example, if you go to Zodhiates Word Studies, he tells you that when they were called Christians at Antioch, using the word ‘crematezo,’ it was a "divine warning." In other words, be forewarned, avoid this word and the use of it. And that’s what the apostles did. You will never read any of these New Testament writers using the term ‘christian’ to describe themselves.

Moving from the milk to the meat, for those of you who wish to lift your witness game, the following is how this plays out in the real world.

The servants of Christ belong to the kingdom of God. If you do not belong to a certain kingdom, you are labeled or named by that kingdom to be of another kingdom. For example, people in the continent (kingdom) of North America call those from the continent (kingdom) of South America, South Americans; from Asia, Asians; from Africa, Africans; from Europe, Europeans. But South Americans don’t call themselves South Americans, Asians don’t call themselves Asians. Africans don’t call themselves Africans, and Europeans don’t call themselves Europeans. Do North Americans call themselves North Americans? When you introduce yourself to somebody, do you say, "Hi! I’m a North American!" No, you don’t, because those from the same kingdom do not place labels on themselves or others. If you are a constituent of a Kingdom, you do not name one in the same Kingdom any thing; but you call them according to the relation between the two of you (brother, sister, mother, father, workman, labourer, minister, bishop, deacon, etc.). And who establishes the relation? The Lawgiver (Isaiah 33:22, James 4:12).

The term "Christian" was imposed upon the servants of Christ by Christ’s enemies living outside the Kingdom of God, to label those living in the Kingdom of God. Servants of Christ should not call themselves Christians, since this would imply that we are not from the Kingdom of God. Just like someone in Asia would not call themselves ‘Asians’, those living in Christ should not call themselves ‘Christians,’ because it would give the impression to others that you are from a different kingdom.

1 John 4:5, "They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world...

As scripture says, those who are of the world speak of the world, and use the words of the world. By using the words of the world, or by using the words of another kingdom, you identify yourself as being of that kingdom. And, since the word "Christian" is a term of the world, it might be best to use the words of God to describe us.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ never called himself a Christian, Christ never called his followers Christians. The apostles never called each other Christians. Christ never used an adjective to describe himself. So how are we to identify ourselves then? The disciples called each other, "brethren", "disciples", "apostles", "servants", "believers", "followers", "the faithful", "the elect", "the called", and "saints." We can also identify ourselves as "bondservants" of Christ.

Yes!! :)

Christians are followers of Jesus Christ, but that means we talk to Him and are lead and taught by Him!!

Those who don't know Him might be correct to call us Christians, because we are indeed followers of Jesus Christ, but they can understand what the means because they don't know what it is like to follow Him!!

It means that we hear His voice!! Jesus referred to Himself in many ways, like the Pastor who watched over His sheep and who lead them out by His voice. The Holy Spirit calls Him Lord and encourages us to do the same. He is sometimes call Teacher, because he teaches those who listen to Him! And He gets to know all of us personally, so as our personal Teacher who never leaves us we might be called His disciples, who is a student who is taught in a more personal and active way. And so all the terms used above by doctrox are appropriately use to describe us.

Of course none of the terms are appropriate if we are not listening to Him on that day called Today, and instead are just giving them lip service!

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many years of talking to "Christians"; I put them into three camps.

True Christian. "Are you a Christian? yes. Are you for sure you're going to heaven? Born again by the Grace of God and washed in His Blood.

Non Christian. "Are you a Christian? yes. Are you for sure you're going to Heaven? I hope I've been good enough.

Non Christian "Are you a Christian? yes. Are you for sure you're going to Heaven? I've been going to church my whole life.