Christian Tithe?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The second year after the exodus, God introduced the law of tithing into the economy of Israel. It was included with other laws connected with Israel’s worship via the Tabernacle. The chief purpose of the tithe was to provide for the Levitical service of the Tabernacle. “Behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance, for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation” (Num 18:21).

The Levites, in turn, were to give a tithe of their income to provide for the high priest. “Thus ye also shall offer a heave offering unto the LORD of all your tithes, which ye receive of the children of Israel; and ye shall give thereof the LORD'S heave offering to Aaron the priest” (Num 18:28).

The tithe consisted of the products of the land, the trees and the flocks. “And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S: it is holy unto the LORD.” “And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD” (Lev 27:30, 32).

The law of tithing continued up to the Cross. “Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law” (Mat 23:23). “The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God … I give tithes of all I possess” (Luk 18:11, 12).

The only ones ever authorized to receive tithes were the Levites. Ever since the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD, it has been impossible to keep the tithing law. Today, Orthodox Jews do not tithe. No one is qualified to receive tithes now that the priesthood and temple are gone.

What of the Christian’s giving? Most consider the OT tithe as a guide line (which is ok if that’s what you want to give because now there is no set limit on giving—NC). But the NT lays down no specifics whatsoever as to giving. The believer is under no external law for any part of his new life. As in every other aspect of his life, the believer is motivated and guided in his giving by the indwelling Holy Spirit. “For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.” (Ro 8:2).

Our giving is to be governed by grace; it is a gift of the Spirit. “Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us … he that giveth, let him do it with liberality” (Ro 12:6, 8). “Therefore, as ye abound in everything, in faith, and utterance, and knowledge, and in all diligence, and in your love to us, see that ye abound in this grace (of giving) also.” (2Co 8:7).

The Lord Jesus Christ is our Life (Col 3:4), and we belong to Him—all that we are, and all the He has entrusted to us. Not even our human concern and emotions are to motivate and govern our giving.

By His Spirit, the Lord Jesus is to direct our entire life, including our giving. It is to be the “love of Christ that constraineth us” (2Co 5:14). It is to be the Lord Jesus reaching out and meeting the needs of others through us—His love alone is the governing principle. “Though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not (His) love, it profiteth me nothing” (1Co 13:3).

Spirit-directed giving requires spiritual growth. The privilege of sharing, and the responsibility of proper giving, is best carried out on a personal, individual basis. Know to whom you are giving, why, when and how much. In giving to a specific ministry, for instance, it is essential to find out about the work, and those who administer it. Develop a personal relationship where possible.

If the Father has established a ministry and is pleased with the fruit of it, He will move upon the hearts and minds of His people for that work without any pleading, subtle or otherwise, for money. He will cause and enable His people to give specifically and spontaneously.

Instead of heeding the pleas of men for support and dutifully or emotionally contributing out of necessity, we are to listen to the still, small voice from within. We are to hear the voice of the Good Shepherd, and follow where He directs—and He it is who has promised to care for His needy sheep.

In reliance upon and obedience in Him, we will know how to give; not in response to a plea, but by the Spirit’s direction in our minds and hearts. “Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these My brethren, ye have done it unto Me” (Mat 25:40).

“But this I say, He who soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work. As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; He hath given to the poor: His righteousness remaineth forever” (2Co 9:7-9).

—Miles J Stanford

MJS daily devotional excerpt for Feb 8

“By the daily ‘supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ’ (Phil. 1:19), the believer united to his Risen Lord ‘grows continually to a more perfect knowledge and likeness of his Creator,’ and grows up ‘after the image of Him that created him, in the sphere where ‘Christ is all, and in all.’ “The child naturally grows up in the likeness of his father, and the new life communicated to the redeemed grows up in the likeness of Him who is the Creator of the new creation if so be that the death with Christ is unflinchingly recognized, and ‘old things’ are truly allowed to pass away to make room for the growth of the new man ‘which is after God . . . created in righteousness, and holiness of truth’ (Eph. 4:24).”

“How many earnest and religious people belong to the Old Adam Improvement Society! It is the recognition of the Christ-life, it is union with the Risen Christ that men need instead of the culture of the religious self-life.” - Eliza Hodges (1803-1867)

Reactions: marks

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
10% tithing is the letter of the law that kills. We are to obey the Spirit and give according to His will. And that may be more than just 10%.

Reactions: CadyandZoe

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only ones ever authorized to receive tithes were the Levites. Ever since the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD, it has been impossible to keep the tithing law. Today, Orthodox Jews do not tithe. No one is qualified to receive tithes now that the priesthood and temple are gone.
What a gross mistake, and theft, even robbery of God, to claim such a false theology.

Tithe is still present in the NT, under the NC, and to be returned to Christ Jesus, at the storehouse.

You call yourself a "Chaplain" of Christ? You are cursed with a curse from God Himself.

Mal 3:9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.​

You are robbing God, not merely of means, but, and this more importantly, of persons. Context of Malachi 3? Vs 1. Jesus Christ and the New Covenant.

Hebrews 7, shows that Tithe was returned to Melchizedec (Type of Christ) long before "Levi", and this 'argument' was presented by Paul, under inspiration of the Holy Ghost Himself. Tithe principle goes all the way back to the Garden of Eden.

There is a great woe upon all who devour the Holy Tithe for their own ideas / plans.
Heb 7:1 For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him;​
Heb 7:2 To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;​
Heb 7:3 Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.​
Heb 7:4 Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.​
Heb 7:5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:​
Heb 7:6 But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.​
Heb 7:7 And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better.​
Heb 7:8 And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.​
Heb 7:9 And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.​
Heb 7:10 For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.​
Continue to rob God, and teach robbery, and you will soon see what the cost of such thievery is.

Mat_21:13 And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.​
1Co_6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.​

Repent, and return to God what which is His by Creation and Redemption, before it is too late, and cease from this foolish piracy of righteousness.

Mat_5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.​
In other words, those in the Heavenly Kingdom, will call such thieves, lowlifes, and their name will be associated with nothing but contempt and shame, ultimately to perish in their piracy.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What a gross mistake, and theft, even robbery of God, to claim such a false theology.

Tithe is still present in the NT, under the NC, and to be returned to Christ Jesus, at the storehouse.

You call yourself a "Chaplain" of Christ? You are cursed with a curse from God Himself.

Mal 3:9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.​

You are robbing God, not merely of means, but, and this more importantly, of persons. Context of Malachi 3? Vs 1. Jesus Christ and the New Covenant.

Hebrews 7, shows that Tithe was returned to Melchizedec (Type of Christ) long before "Levi", and this 'argument' was presented by Paul, under inspiration of the Holy Ghost Himself. Tithe principle goes all the way back to the Garden of Eden.

There is a great woe upon all who devour the Holy Tithe for their own ideas / plans.
Heb 7:1 For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him;​
Heb 7:2 To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;​
Heb 7:3 Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.​
Heb 7:4 Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.​
Heb 7:5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:​
Heb 7:6 But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.​
Heb 7:8 And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.​
Heb 7:9 And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.​
Continue to rob God, and teach robbery, and you will soon see what the cost of such thievery is.

Mat_21:13 And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.​
1Co_6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.​

Repent, and return to God what which is His by Creation and Redemption, before it is too late, and cease from this foolish piracy of righteousness.

Mat_5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.​
In other words, those in the Heavenly Kingdom, will call such thieves, lowlifes, and their name will be associated with nothing but contempt and shame, ultimately to perish in their piracy.
This passage alone shows that the Tithe is not assigned to the church:

2 Corinthians 9:7 KJV
Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

The pattern for our giving is set here,

2 Corinthians 8:5 KJV
And this they did, not as we hoped, but first gave their own selves to the Lord, and unto us by the will of God.

Much love!

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

And this they did, not as we hoped, but first gave their own selves to the Lord, and unto us by the will of God.

Much love!
That you find a positive injunction for a special 'OFFERING', is not a negative injunction against 'TITHE'.

2Co 9:6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.​
You are confused, in the two things.

Mal 3:8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.​
[1] Tithes​
[2] Offerings​
For instance, the Muslims, use as similar faulty argument, in that they find positive statements that Jesus is a "man", and look past all the texts which say that Jesus is also "God".

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
Appreciate the reply and comments Brother! God bless!!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
10% tithing is the letter of the law that kills. We are to obey the Spirit and give according to His will. And that may be more than just 10%.
Amen, and thanks for the reply, on which I agree; but if a person only wants to give a tithe or even less it's acceptable: "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly."

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been outspoken at home and in church for many years on this question of tithing. It is not a New Testament law! For one thing, there is no way to create an equivalency between the OT priesthood needs and NT ministerial needs. However, it bears making some kind of comparison.

We must desire to support a building to meet in, if it is needed, and we should wish to support full time ministers, if that is also needed. A very small gathering in a person's home would work, but to support more of a ministry to society it is worthwhile to support a neighborhood church and even a a national or international denomination.

To pay for the needs of a church and ministry requires that we promise, within ourselves, to support these with monthly payments. How else can a budget be made?

But is this under the Law of Christ? Certainly not! Many ministries teach a NT equivalency between OT tithe and NT commitment to giving, because they rely upon it--people often cannot be relied upon to give on a monthly basis otherwise. But the teaching isn't accurate if a "law," as such, is being taught.

Just my thought. The teaching of Salvation by Grace would preclude any such law requiring giving for Salvation.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A passage of Scripture that often convicts me is this:

Haggai 1.9 “You expected much, but see, it turned out to be little. What you brought home, I blew away. Why?” declares the Lord Almighty. “Because of my house, which remains a ruin, while each of you is busy with your own house.

Christians feel quite comfortable paying their bills on time each month, whether for utilities or for cable, or even for paying charges on their credit card. But many of them don't feel the same way about God's house. They may argue that "it's just a building--God's house is His people." Or they may say, "we're saved by faith, and we don't have to give in order to be saved." Or, they may argue, "God will provide for His own house--He knows I have my own needs." Or, they will think, "God can multiply the fish and loaves. He will provide for His own house."

But that's not what God said here in Haggai. God relied upon people to pay for their own worship structure. It showed whether they cared more about their own houses as opposed to caring for God's house.

That has always convicted me. King David is the perfect example of God's heart on this. I can't but be amazed at how David looked at his goal of building God's house. He was denied the right to build it, but promised his son Solomon would do it. Then David committed an enormous amount of his own money for the project.

We need to be like David, and show equal concern for the ministry, whether it is our own ministry or the ministry that we are close to. It is *our job* to testify to Christ in this world. And it does cost money.

If we give "out of law," it just ruins the whole thing. Do you want people to give you a birthday gift or a Christmas gift because they "have to," because someone paid them to do it, or threatened them that if they didn't do it they would be in trouble?

No, when people give to us we don't care so much about the gift as the fact they like us and express this in some token way. God doesn't need our money. He owns the cattle on a thousand hills. But He is touched, I feel, by giving from our heart. And He is proud when we're responsible to make not only our monthly payments to pay off our debts, but also to treat His own ministry needs the same way.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The second year after the exodus, God introduced the law of tithing into the economy of Israel. It was included with other laws connected with Israel’s worship via the Tabernacle. The chief purpose of the tithe was to provide for the Levitical service of the Tabernacle. “Behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance, for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation” (Num 18:21).

The Levites, in turn, were to give a tithe of their income to provide for the high priest. “Thus ye also shall offer a heave offering unto the LORD of all your tithes, which ye receive of the children of Israel; and ye shall give thereof the LORD'S heave offering to Aaron the priest” (Num 18:28).

The tithe consisted of the products of the land, the trees and the flocks. “And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S: it is holy unto the LORD.” “And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD” (Lev 27:30, 32).

The law of tithing continued up to the Cross. “Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law” (Mat 23:23). “The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God … I give tithes of all I possess” (Luk 18:11, 12).

What of the Christian’s giving? Most consider the OT tithe as a guide line (which is ok if that’s what you want to give because now there is no set limit on giving—NC). But the NT lays down no specifics whatsoever as to giving. The believer is under no external law for any part of his new life. As in every other aspect of his life, the believer is motivated and guided in his giving by the indwelling Holy Spirit. “For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.” (Ro 8:2).

Our giving is to be governed by grace; it is a gift of the Spirit. “Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us … he that giveth, let him do it with liberality” (Ro 12:6, 8). “Therefore, as ye abound in everything, in faith, and utterance, and knowledge, and in all diligence, and in your love to us, see that ye abound in this grace (of giving) also.” (2Co 8:7).

The Lord Jesus Christ is our Life (Col 3:4), and we belong to Him—all that we are, and all the He has entrusted to us. Not even our human concern and emotions are to motivate and govern our giving.

By His Spirit, the Lord Jesus is to direct our entire life, including our giving. It is to be the “love of Christ that constraineth us” (2Co 5:14). It is to be the Lord Jesus reaching out and meeting the needs of others through us—His love alone is the governing principle. “Though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not (His) love, it profiteth me nothing” (1Co 13:3).

Spirit-directed giving requires spiritual growth. The privilege of sharing, and the responsibility of proper giving, is best carried out on a personal, individual basis. Know to whom you are giving, why, when and how much. In giving to a specific ministry, for instance, it is essential to find out about the work, and those who administer it. Develop a personal relationship where possible.

If the Father has established a ministry and is pleased with the fruit of it, He will move upon the hearts and minds of His people for that work without any pleading, subtle or otherwise, for money. He will cause and enable His people to give specifically and spontaneously.

Instead of heeding the pleas of men for support and dutifully or emotionally contributing out of necessity, we are to listen to the still, small voice from within. We are to hear the voice of the Good Shepherd, and follow where He directs—and He it is who has promised to care for His needy sheep.

In reliance upon and obedience in Him, we will know how to give; not in response to a plea, but by the Spirit’s direction in our minds and hearts. “Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these My brethren, ye have done it unto Me” (Mat 25:40).

“But this I say, He who soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work. As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; He hath given to the poor: His righteousness remaineth forever” (2Co 9:7-9).

—Miles J Stanford

MJS daily devotional excerpt for Feb 8

“By the daily ‘supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ’ (Phil. 1:19), the believer united to his Risen Lord ‘grows continually to a more perfect knowledge and likeness of his Creator,’ and grows up ‘after the image of Him that created him, in the sphere where ‘Christ is all, and in all.’ “The child naturally grows up in the likeness of his father, and the new life communicated to the redeemed grows up in the likeness of Him who is the Creator of the new creation if so be that the death with Christ is unflinchingly recognized, and ‘old things’ are truly allowed to pass away to make room for the growth of the new man ‘which is after God . . . created in righteousness, and holiness of truth’ (Eph. 4:24).”

“How many earnest and religious people belong to the Old Adam Improvement Society! It is the recognition of the Christ-life, it is union with the Risen Christ that men need instead of the culture of the religious self-life.” - Eliza Hodges (1803-1867)
We are under a command for giving! We are to do so hilariously!!!!!!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've often paused after reading that God wants us to do things with a positive emotion, like "rejoice before the Lord." How can one manipulate his or her own emotions?

What I think is that God is not so much asking us to imitate emotions as to be sincere in our expressions, knowing that if we are indeed sincere, we will indeed give cheerfully or rejoice in reality.

In the context of this conversation, the command to give is not the same thing as a command to tithe. So that needs to be said.

Immediately we must ask, "When should we give, and how much?" Well, I think how much is left to the giver, since in the case of Ananias and Saphira, in the book of Acts, they were told they gave when they really didn't have to give. Where we should give is in areas of personal responsibility. And only you and the Lord know what He sets before us in our daily lives.

So yes, absolutely we should give, both to the Lord's cause and to the cause of our own needs, or to support our own legitimate wants. We need to give money and possessions for all kinds of reasons. We know this without even being told.

But the command to "tithe" is Old Testament, and even in the NT Scriptures Jesus speaks of the "tithe" while still under the Law. Paul made it clear that we are no longer under OT Law, but only required to spiritually abide in Christ.

Abiding in Christ is a matter of moral living and responsible living. It is our responsibility to recognize what is of Christ and what is not, what we've made ourselves obligated for and what we haven't. In other words, the obligation to give is both a divine mandate and a matter of personal discretion.

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we give "out of law," it just ruins the whole thing. Do you want people to give you a birthday gift or a Christmas gift because they "have to," because someone paid them to do it, or threatened them that if they didn't do it they would be in trouble?
Tithe isn't a gift as offering is. Tithe is duty in faith as in loving obedience to God for what He asks for in return, demonstrating that the Christian acknowledges God is Creator and Redeemer.

Jas_2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.​
Jas 2:22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?​
Tithe isn't "out of law". It is out of Love.

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For one thing, there is no way to create an equivalency between the OT priesthood needs and NT ministerial needs.
Paul, under inspiration of the Holy Ghost, didn't teach what you teach. He said the opposite, in that there is a direct equivalency in Hebrews 7; 1 Cor. 9; 1 Tim. 5:18, etc.
1Co 9:1 Am I not an apostle? am I not free? have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? are not ye my work in the Lord?​
1Co 9:2 If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord.​
1Co 9:3 Mine answer to them that do examine me is this,​
1Co 9:4 Have we not power to eat and to drink?​
1Co 9:5 Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?​
1Co 9:6 Or I only and Barnabas, have not we power to forbear working?​
1Co 9:7 Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock?​
1Co 9:8 Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also?​
1Co 9:9 For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen?​
1Co 9:10 Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope.​
1Co 9:11 If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things?​
1Co 9:12 If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ.​
1Co 9:13 Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar?​
1Co 9:14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.​
1Ti 5:17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.​
1Ti 5:18 For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.​

Paul, under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost, is drawing from the OT texts, for supporting the ministry, by tithe. Malachi 3 begins with the New Covenant:

Mal 3:1 Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.​

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen, and thanks for the reply, on which I agree; but if a person only wants to give a tithe or even less it's acceptable: "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly."
No, it is not 'acceptable' to God. You are as Cain, promoting 'you' and your offering, which is not according to what God asks.

Gen 4:3 And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.​
Gen 4:4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:​
Gen 4:5 But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.​

God asks for the required Lamb (Tithe / Firstfruits) and offering, not just offering of your own amount.

God is specific. Tithe & Offering.

Mal 3:8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.​

You cite a text, out of context, about offering, and think it means Tithe is no longer required? What thievery, what robbery, what piracy!

2Co 9:1 For as touching the ministering to the saints, it is superfluous for me to write to you:​

2Co 9:5 Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren, that they would go before unto you, and make up beforehand your bounty, whereof ye had notice before, that the same might be ready, as a matter of bounty, and not as of covetousness.​

It was about helping the poor and needy "saints" in Jerusalem because of the dearth (famine). It was about a special offering or collection. Tithe was different, which is for the work of the ministry to carry forward those who preach the word.

The special (extra, beyond tithe and general offerings, “as God hath prospered”) “collection” (vs 1), or “gatherings (of liberality)” (1 Cor. 16 vs 2-3), are not commanded to be given by the believers in Corinth or Galatia (vs 1) at all seasons, or for all of time. The context of the special request for a collection to be taken later from individuals, was for those specifically in “Jerusalem” (vs 3), and no other place was mentioned. Why? It was because there was a “great dearth” (Acts 11:28), and many “poor” (Galatians 2:10; Romans 15:25-33) there. Paul, as he went about, and wrote, had asked believers in several places about this timely subject (2 Corinthians 1:15-16, 8:1-24, 9:1-5; Acts 11:27-30, 24:17; Romans 15:25-33; Galatians 2:1,10, 6:9-10). Paul, when he finally arrived in their area, would send specially chosen persons by those congregations to Jerusalem with those means (vs 3) that had already been put aside each week, all that time from the time Paul asked, for that purpose (vs 2). The event is recorded as an example of what can be done for special cases of emergency when they arise.

Last edited:

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How one gives is what matters with God: "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity" (2Co 9:7).

One gives according to how they want to give. "He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully" (2Co 9:6).

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Christian life is not our living a life like Christ, or our trying to be Christ-like, nor is it Christ giving us the power to live a life like His; but it is Christ Himself living His own life through us; 'no longer I, but Christ.'" MJS
You do not even believe your own signature, for Christ Jesus tithed. So when your own signature quote says, "it is Christ Himself living His own life through us; 'no longer I, but Christ.'", then where is the return of tithe that Christ Jesus always does? What I see is a counterfeit christ that claims to be Christ, but the obvious difference is that the real Jesus returns tithe and taught it, and you do not return tithe and teach against it. The real Jesus taught righteousness and obedience, and you teach sin (iniquity) and disobedience, to justify what you think ought to be done, rather than what Jesus did actually do, as the child (seed) of Abraham:

Joh_8:39 They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham.​

Last edited:

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul, under inspiration of the Holy Ghost, didn't teach what you teach. He said the opposite, in that there is a direct equivalency in Hebrews 7; 1 Cor. 9; 1 Tim. 5:18, etc.
1Co 9:1 Am I not an apostle? am I not free? have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? are not ye my work in the Lord?​
1Co 9:2 If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord.​
1Co 9:3 Mine answer to them that do examine me is this,​
1Co 9:4 Have we not power to eat and to drink?​
1Co 9:5 Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?​
1Co 9:6 Or I only and Barnabas, have not we power to forbear working?​
1Co 9:7 Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock?​
1Co 9:8 Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also?​
1Co 9:9 For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen?​
1Co 9:10 Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope.​
1Co 9:11 If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things?​
1Co 9:12 If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ.​
1Co 9:13 Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar?​
1Co 9:14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.​

What you're suggesting is that the Bible draws upon the OT examples to show NT equivalents. These are comparisons, but not exact equivalences. The OT tithe is *not* the NT tithe. There is absolutely no "tithe" at all in NT teaching. You will not be able to quote me one single verse to that effect. Consider that a challenge!

It's not that I'm trying to be argumentative. But NT Salvation is free, and does not require the works of the Law, which were designed to show our need to be redeemed. Works never redeemed Israel, nor can works redeem us in the NT.

The principles of righteousness displayed under the Law showed righteousness in conjunction with images indicating the need for Christ's redemption. Now that Christ has already redeemed us, our acts of righteousness do not need to show a need for further redemption. We don't need to offer sacrifices. We do not have to pay a tithe for priests to offer sacrifices on our behalf.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tithe isn't a gift as offering is. Tithe is duty in faith as in loving obedience to God for what He asks for in return, demonstrating that the Christian acknowledges God is Creator and Redeemer.

Jas_2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.​
Jas 2:22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?​
Tithe isn't "out of law". It is out of Love.
I agree that "works" plays a role in our service to God. It just doesn't save us with respect to Eternal Life. Israel was fully expected to "work" under the Law. But God never said it would do anything more than extend their life on earth--they would ultimately die as sinners.

The "tithe" is a very specific type of giving that is associated with providing the priests with means to offer their services to God on behalf of the nation Israel. In the NT era, God's People no longer consist of just the nation Israel, nor is there any need for a priesthood to offer temporary dispensation while awaiting the redemption of Christ.

Christ has already come, and redemption has been won. Our giving now has nothing to do with priesthood or sacrifice. It is simply part of the works we do to please God in expressing the character of Christ.

Since it is not the "tithe" we give, it is no longer a set amount such as a "tenth." We give based on the need as God gives us eyes to see and with the means He gives us. If we believe in the church and in the ministry we should feel a measure of obligation to participate in giving to the need, just as we would pay rent, a mortgage, or a utility bill. God's house needs money, as ours does. It doesn't win us Salvation, but it expresses God's love through us as a testimony to the world of Christ's love.